Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Howard st

Well the roundabout is up and running on Howard. How long till the first accident at this location or the first truck rollover?

Re: Howard st

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/innovative/roundabouts/

Rotaries nearly always improve safety outcomes.

They might be safer after weeks of being up and running. But those first few weeks you’ll see how bad people are are at driving. Also, that intersection was never dangerous and never had accidents. So not sure how much “safer” it will be.

Nope
They might be safer after weeks of being up and running. But those first few weeks you’ll see how bad people are are at driving. Also, that intersection was never dangerous and never had accidents. So not sure how much “safer” it will be.
Never had accidents? They presented the lengthy report of the crashes at the intersection(s) during the design process.

Nope
You're so right. There's never been an accident on that stretch of Howard Street. It's always been perfectly safe

https://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20161005/melrose-fatal-crash-on-howard-street-it-was-horrific

Individual 1
Nope
You're so right. There's never been an accident on that stretch of Howard Street. It's always been perfectly safe

https://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20161005/melrose-fatal-crash-on-howard-street-it-was-horrific

More Fake news.

That accident happened at 179 Howard St, near Carlida Rd. nearly a 1/2 mile away from the new roundabout.

But I'm glad you brought that up. What ever happened to the lady who killed that guy?

He was an immigrant from Guatemala.

Sanctuary City? , only when it's convenient to white elites I guess.

BOMBED WITH LIVE TURKEYS
Individual 1
Nope

More Fake news.

That accident happened at 179 Howard St, near Carlida Rd. nearly a 1/2 mile away from the new roundabout.

But I'm glad you brought that up. What ever happened to the lady who killed that guy?

Sanctuary City? , only when it's convenient to white elites I guess.
Half a mile away seems pretty close to me, and the roundabout is supposed to slow traffic entering Howard Street. It's not just that intersection that's impacted - its that entire portion of the street.

Good job changing the subject though. Why the heck are you bringing up sanctuary cities in a traffic discussion?

Individual 1
BOMBED WITH LIVE TURKEYS
Individual 1
Nope
You\'re so right. There\'s never been an accident on that stretch of Howard Street. It\'s always been perfectly safe

More Fake news.

But I\'m glad you brought that up. What ever happened to the lady who killed that guy?

Sanctuary City? , only when it\'s convenient to white elites I guess.
Half a mile away seems pretty close to me, and the roundabout is supposed to slow traffic entering Howard Street. It's not just that intersection that's impacted - its that entire portion of the street.

Good job changing the subject though. Why the heck are you bringing up sanctuary cities in a traffic discussion?
For one thing it doesn't take a 1/2 mile to accelerate to 60 MPH going toward Saugus, for another cars coming from the Saugus direction can't even see the rotary until they get past the curve near Hesseltine Ave, so the new "roundabout" will have no impact whatsoever on anyone's driving behavior on Howard Street, so it was stupid to bring up that accident for this argument.

BOMBED WITH LIVE TURKEYS
Individual 1
BOMBED WITH LIVE TURKEYS
Individual 1
Nope
You\\\'re so right. There\\\'s never been an accident on that stretch of Howard Street. It\\\'s always been perfectly safe

More Fake news.

But I\\\'m glad you brought that up. What ever happened to the lady who killed that guy?

Sanctuary City? , only when it\\\'s convenient to white elites I guess.
Half a mile away seems pretty close to me, and the roundabout is supposed to slow traffic entering Howard Street. It\'s not just that intersection that\'s impacted - its that entire portion of the street.

For one thing it doesn't take a 1/2 mile to accelerate to 60 MPH going toward Saugus, for another cars coming from the Saugus direction can't even see the rotary until they get past the curve near Hesseltine Ave, so the new "roundabout" will have no impact whatsoever on anyone's driving behavior on Howard Street, so it was stupid to bring up that accident for this argument.

More or less stupid than bring up sanctuary cities?

The term "fake news" was a dead giveaway. ANYTHING that follows when someone uses that worn out meaningless phrase, is simply deflection.

I also despise the term, but it the case of that accident, perhaps a better term would be irrelevant. That accident had nothing whatever to do with that stupid roundabout, or with the configuration that existed before.

That accident on Howard St was caused by the driver speeding. Plain & simple. Can happen anywhere.

The interesting part was the Melrose Community Group not allowing it to be discussed because the perp, I mean the friend of the MCG admin, might see it and feel bad. I dunno. I would feel bad if I killed someone while speeding. Maybe she should too?

The sanctuary city comments mean that the Guatemalan landscaper's life was deemed less important than the comfort of his white killer. Mayor Dolan did have the city pay for the guy's return home to Guatemala in a box.

I never heard anything about the white lady getting charged with vehicular homicide. I wonder why?

This occurred on a different stretch of the road than the ridiculous rotary.

Maybe the bigger question here is why did we spend that money on this rotary or a roundabout?

And
That accident on Howard St was caused by the driver speeding. Plain & simple. Can happen anywhere.

The interesting part was the Melrose Community Group not allowing it to be discussed because the perp, I mean the friend of the MCG admin, might see it and feel bad. I dunno. I would feel bad if I killed someone while speeding. Maybe she should too?

The sanctuary city comments mean that the Guatemalan landscaper\'s life was deemed less important than the comfort of his white killer. Mayor Dolan did have the city pay for the guy\'s return home to Guatemala in a box.

I never heard anything about the white lady getting charged with vehicular homicide. I wonder why?

This occurred on a different stretch of the road than the ridiculous rotary.
This is EXACTLY why I brought it up after Individual1 tried to use that awful accident to try to say that rotary would have a positive impact on that stretch of Howard. It wont.

I didn't bring up that tragedy Individual1 did, to defend that rotary, which was stupid.

Immigrants lives are so important to everyone here, until it becomes inconvenient. If that was some Melrose kid that got killed that day we would know a lot more about the reckless driver of that vehicle, that was conveniently left out on the story.

Interchangeable
Maybe the bigger question here is why did we spend that money on this rotary or a roundabout?

It's government in action. "Free" money (although it's not - you paid for it with your state and federal taxes) that has to be spent on certain things, so make up some stupid project that you can spend that money on, and call it an improvement.

On a positive note however, the $$ spent on Upham Street recently has definitely made it a better road to drive!
(As an ‘aside’ however, if I paid the taxes that I’m sure those living on Larchmont do, I’d be VERY upset about the condition of the lower portion.)

Construction worker this was a bad move it was fine the way it was with some landscape in the island. Accidents waiting to happen have no idea where to go.

Individual 1
Nope

What does that have to do with the rotary?

I have been through this rotary three times. Two times there were near-crashes because:
1. The drivers entering the rotary didn't realize they needed to yield.
2. Drivers who DID realize they needed to yield to those in the rotary are subject to being hit from behind by drivers who don't understand this. There was absolutely know reason for this bizarre construction project other than there was state funds available. They have created a potential for increased accidents due to the confusion that rotaries generate. They have also hurt the business district by reducing the amount of street parking along this business corridor. This is basically a lose, lose, lose project for drivers, bicyclists, and the business community. Again, the powers that be did not consider for one second the negative impact this circus would create because they never gave the tax payers a change to comment on it before plowing ahead.

Thanks to Elena Engineer who will be the next DPW Director.