Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DPW Director

Finally, Infurna has done something I can get behind. Announced today was the hiring of Rick Stinson, former Wakefield DPW Director, as Interim Director. Infurna has also decided to leave the hiring of a permanent Director to the incoming Mayor.

This is a good move. I've known Rick for over 30 years, and he is a pro's pro. He ran Wakefield's DPW like a well-oiled machine for many years, and he makes Scenna look like a rank amateur. Actually, I'd have applauded his permanent appointment as well, but that's not going to happen. As a Wakefield Town Retiree, he'll have to suspend his pension there once he passes the difference between his pension and his former salary, so we'll only get about 3 months from him in Melrose before he starts working for nothing.

It's also s good move to leave hiring a permanent replacement to the new Mayor.

Re: DPW Director

I agree. Good decision.

She made the right decision. She was under pressure to do so and her recent actions relating to public works have been suspect so she didn't have much capital lame duck or not. It was notable that she had to let you know she could have done whatever she wanted though, smug.
It would not surprise me if she made the decision from the pressure from "Sustainable Melrose" as noted in the Patch article. The letter they sent is alarming, suggesting that the requirements should be loosened to attract more women and minorities and as such we should be comfortable with this position being a stepping stone. I suspect these are many of the same people who demanded we increase taxes to prevent/reduce Melrose from being that same stepping stone for teachers. For the love of pete I hope the next mayor reserves that kind of thinking to meaningless unpaid positions or better yet it won't cross their mind at all.

A ‘nationwide search” which will result in appointing Elena, the City Engineer.

Appointing EPE would be a big mistake. She's not dumb, like so many others around her, but she is most definitely part of the Cabal, a total shill for the status quo types who are all still dangling like marionettes to the tunes set by RD. She's been part of the reason the water and sewer rates and infrastructure haven't been made right, and she just keeps playing the games until she elevates herself up the Melrose nepotism ladder (hubby has a cushy position as well).

I can't seem to find the letter from Sustainable Melrose. If someone could post a link to it I would appreciate it. If the letter actually does say "the requirements should be loosened to attract more women and minorities and as such we should be comfortable with this position being a stepping stone." it is indeed alarming. The critical post of DPW Director is NOT an entry level position. If anything the qualifications ought to be tightened, not loosened. We've seen the results of substandard hires in the School Department. Why would we even consider using that same model across the board?

I'm not surprised that only three people applied for the position at this time. Any even remotely intelligent candidate would surely realize the he/she could very well be out of a job once the new Mayor is sworn in. Those same thoughts must also be occurring to all the department heads and the rest of the insiders at City Hall, including the SC and Aldermen. This is a long overdue opportunity for an almost clean sweep. We are not going to get another opportunity like this for a long time, and we surely better take advantage of it.

No Elena
Appointing EPE would be a big mistake. She's not dumb, like so many others around her, but she is most definitely part of the Cabal, a total shill for the status quo types who are all still dangling like marionettes to the tunes set by RD. She's been part of the reason the water and sewer rates and infrastructure haven't been made right, and she just keeps playing the games until she elevates herself up the Melrose nepotism ladder (hubby has a cushy position as well).

EPE’s husband is in way over his head. IT in the city is very outdated and poorly managed.
During the Summer Stroll EPE and IT hubby were hanging out with Chris Cinella and Mark Garipay.
Not sure who the couple knew when they got the jobs but both have a lot to answer for but never supervised.
No more amateurs needed. Melrose is in trouble.

Previous poster has it right. New IT director is not qualified (as per usual in Melrose), and we can thank RD and his sycophant supporters (the Machine, now known as OneMelrose) for the sad state of technology, education, infrastructure, and the general poor state of affairs in this city. Pazos bailed, just as Scenna is now bailing and more will follow as light is shed on the 15-year rot from a corrupt administration.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

You couldn’t come up with a MORE meaningless and worn out phrase than that?

“Sorry, just sayin.”