Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buildings

I know I would get a lot of negative feedback if I publicly posted this but feel the need to vent. I miss my old Melrose. I miss the simplicity of our City. I know I know we need to grow but do we need 2 or maybe more high rises downtown? We are now Medford, Malden, Somerville, and Saugus Don’t tell me otherwise. We are so overcrowded. I don’t know how the schools will handle this. Traffic is a nightmare. Now one of the Mayoral candidates wants us to be a sanctuary city. Where will we put everyone! Thank you for listening

Re: Buildings

I think we just need to remember that we are still 5k people below where we were in the 70s. 4 and 6 story buildings are hardly high rises. Looking at pictures of Melrose in the early 1900s, it's a shame to see so many 3-4 story historic buildings that were replaced by 1 and 2 story buildings in the 50s/60s. If we want to return Melrose to what it used to be, we need to restore the dense walkable Downtown that we used to have.

Re: Buildings

M10
I think we just need to remember that we are still 5k people below where we were in the 70s. 4 and 6 story buildings are hardly high rises. Looking at pictures of Melrose in the early 1900s, it's a shame to see so many 3-4 story historic buildings that were replaced by 1 and 2 story buildings in the 50s/60s. If we want to return Melrose to what it used to be, we need to restore the dense walkable Downtown that we used to have.
Only partially correct. At our peak in tbt 70’s we were 33k. We are slightly over 30k now.