Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who we voting for Tuesday and why?Mayor primary

Who we voting for Tuesday and why?Mayor primary on September 17 2019. This will be the first primary we've ever had for Mayor.City of Melrose .

Re: Who we voting for Tuesday and why?Mayor primary

Write in

Madeiros or Zwirko seem the most fiscally conservative. Either one is fine by me, but leaning toward Zwirko because of his plan to update Melrose dining and drinking laws.
I'd be fine with JLB as well, accurate in her concerns and moderate as to how to fix them. She does, however, allude to an "operational override" for public buildings. Certainly police (especially) and fire buildings are horrendous, but I'm not sure another override works right now.
Nothing against Brodeur, but as state rep he seemed intent on restoring public union negotiating rights lost in SCOTUS decision despite the fact that, as Mayor, his dealings with them will - and must be - adversarial.
Bewtra seems to be running as the progressive candidate. Probably the least important issue facing Melrose is whether to become a sanctuary city. No thanks, progressives are doing enough damage to the city/stat/nation already!

If you have a problem with progressives, zwirko is certainly not your candidate. He panders to the progressive crowd, showing up at MORE meetings and begging the One Melrose moms for attention and recognition. He is not a fiscal conservative by any measure - wants to create even more positions at city hall and I heard he already has a plan mapped out for override #2 if he wins. Medeiros is your candidate if you want conservative.

I’d really like to vote for Monica, but the “R” is a UGE concern!

Thank you for your help, especially about Zwirko! Medeiros it is. I like the "R", makes her sound more independent than the other herd followers.. We have enough "Ds" around this state.

I don't dispute that completely about the Ds, but we certainly have one berserk R too many in this country, and that HAS to be obvious to those still too embarrassed to admit it!

I am not sold on Madeiros as such. That said, Melrose city hall and school admin has suffered from way too much groupthink and cozy insider consensus of a kind that has allowed maladministration and even malfeasance to go largely unaccounted for and unpunished. That's Melrose's miasma.

It would be better for Melrose if there were less consensus and more friction that invited accountability and demanded transparency, where the BOA and the SC are not rubber-stamps. (Oh, and where someone in power will be more likely to make it more likely for Taymore and her minions to leave...)

For that reason, Madeiros as mayor (the prospect of which strikes fear into many people vested in the current regime) may ultimately be for Melrose's longer term good. I doubt she'd win the general election but it would at least be good to have her as one of the two finalists so that Melrose has a better choice.

Regardless of the outcome today, it would certainly be nice to see more than a 20%+- turnout, to at least show that ‘people care’. I don’t think that’s gonna happen, but I’d like to be wrong!

While even his most ardent supporters - of which I am NOT - wish Trump would shut up a lot more often, as far as "berserk" is concerned, have you watched any of the Democratic debates? A six year old shouting "Everything should be free!" would be considered too centrist to win the nomination.

I’m sorry to say that that is basically true, and that makes me even MORE nervous about 2020.

Hi Geezer just wondering why they changed the rule over the winter about the vote for mayor today.I was told top 2 vote getters go to the general election.so that means 2 democrats could run for mayor?what happened to both parties being represented sounds a little fishy to me and not right both parties should be represented.again thats what i hurd today.just asking.If true thats not right and we as tax paying citizens of melrose should get a answer about this if true.sounds like a liberal move to make sure no republican ever gets in to the mayors office.very sad what they have done to our city.again i am a democrat but im no snowflake thank god....

so i am not as smart as you.also i am dumb...ok whats your point snowflake

To "You are tiring":

For someone who complains about "a cesspool of a website" you don't seem to mind joining in and then trashing another poster. Would it be that difficult for you to behave respectfully, even if you disagree with someone? You sound an awful lot like the creepy hypocrites who shouted obscenities and gave the finger (even with their own small children present in some cases!) at the senior citizens holding signs against the override. Sure, OneMelrose indeed!

I don't disagree that Mike has posted some pretty objectionable stuff, but can't you take a higher road instead of being as foul? Would it cost you something exorbitant to express your objections minus the condescension?

You are correct about the mayoral campaign being non-partisan, despite the misrepresentation by Caraggi at Patch (corrected now, I think). Those who insist on making it partisan are reflecting more of their own bias instead of that of the candidates, both of whom have long represented and advocated for all Melrose citizens at the local and state levels in mostly non-partisan ways.

This is for Mike .Thinking before you speak or do something. It's about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It's about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day.

Thank you at least you didnt call me dumb or worse but thank you for your post.