Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speed limit

So if you are traveling on Lynn Fells Pkwy towards Melrose from Stoneham (Grimsby area) there is a speed limit sign before you hit Tremont that reads 35. There is not one speed limit sign next until you reach Bellevue area or more of Lynn Fells There is nothing in front of schools. Is it 35 ?

Re: Speed limit

I believe, but am not positive, that since the LFP is not under the City jurisdiction, the Citywide 25 mph speed limit does not apply, and indeed the speed limit is 35 throughout.

It's 20 in the school zone between Tremont and Melrose Streets (there used to be a sign eastbound in front of the tennis courts - maybe it was taken out by a plow, but there's also a westbound sign near Melrose St). But otherwise it's 35, as that's a state road and the city limit doesn't apply to it (it was acknowledged when the citywide speed limit was reduced that the city could not enforce that the LFP in its entire route without state approval, which I've never heard being granted).

Thank you for clarifying that!
If you think it’s difficult doing 25 in this City, try doing 20 😄

There is definitely NO speed limit sign in Middle/High School area eastbound

Or, for another vehicular challenge, try driving around the knoll while school is in session!

In Massachusetts, the speed limit is 30 unless another law specifies a different speed limit. So if you don’t se a speed limit sign, it’s 30.

Correction: the speed limit is 30 west of Tremont St. There is a "Reduced Speed Ahead" sign on eastbound side of the LFP descending the hill before Vinton St, but the 20 mph sign that used to grace the eastbound margin adjacent to the tennis courts is indeed MIA. Usually, that's because of a plow, truck or other vehicular collision with such. I would not treat it as a 30mph zone for lack thereof; you might get lucky challenging a ticket in the eastbound direction, but that would require effort, and I would not be surprised if you told a ticketing cop about the missing sign that the cop would cite you for driving at a dangerous speed in a marked school zone instead....

Geezer
I believe, but am not positive, that since the LFP is not under the City jurisdiction, the Citywide 25 mph speed limit does not apply, and indeed the speed limit is 35 throughout.
They have (or are) addressing that. If a City has a city-wide 25mph limit, that would then also extend to any state parkways or roadways.
https://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/2019/04/26/senate-oks-road-safety-bill-without-oui-locks/