Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KLG running for State Rep

Well, well, "breaking news".... Like moths to the flame, they begin the scramble to lay claim to their next political stepping stones... all wanting to be the next Katherine (who thinks--and even had the unmitigated gall to state publicly--that she's the next Teddy K). Who's next? Sam? Morty? Mike? Manisha?

Is this going to be a food fight or will we see a dignified process? Oh that's right, this is Melrose, so skip dignified, since none of them know what that would even mean. Is Kate going to admit that she was the one who so brazenly nominated the Poop Tornado woman (with a capital W) and helped stick the city with that horror show for mayor? Naw, she's onto bigger and better things already, quite obviously. And she'll claim to know this city (and now the region, no doubt!) like the back of her hand, as only such a pretentious and precious dilettante could do. Yuck!

Re: KLG running for State Rep

You’re right. Anyone running is simply out for their own political gain. To throw one’s hat in the ring is a purely selfish act belying their true intentions to enrich their lives with poor pay and bad hours. If there were any dignity in the world, no one would run and we would be unrepresented, demonstrating our commitment to condemning ambition and punishing anyone who dare pursue an opportunity to serve.

resident
Well, well, "breaking news".... Like moths to the flame, they begin the scramble to lay claim to their next political stepping stones... all wanting to be the next Katherine (who thinks--and even had the unmitigated gall to state publicly--that she's the next Teddy K). Who's next? Sam? Morty? Mike? Manisha?

Is this going to be a food fight or will we see a dignified process? Oh that's right, this is Melrose, so skip dignified, since none of them know what that would even mean. Is Kate going to admit that she was the one who so brazenly nominated the Poop Tornado woman (with a capital W) and helped stick the city with that horror show for mayor? Naw, she's onto bigger and better things already, quite obviously. And she'll claim to know this city (and now the region, no doubt!) like the back of her hand, as only such a pretentious and precious dilettante could do. Yuck!
These are mean spirited comments and should be removed by the Melrose Cares Admins, as is the current practice.

Nope, those remarks are simply factual recounting, and frankly you can look through the many hundreds of remarks on this board to find plenty to dispute, but nothing in that last post was untrue or unwarranted. Perhaps you don't like the characterization of Mayor Poop Tornado? Well maybe you ought to ask the residents of Brazil Street how they liked having their houses and lives ruined? Mean indeed! And Ms. KLG did claim (quite pretentiously, as was truly characterized) her great knowledge (she moved here in 2014) and admiration of Mayor PT, and thereby nominated her and voted for her, subjecting the Brazil Street residents (and the entire city) to the disaster that has not yet been resolved fairly.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how the truth is mean spirited. It may be ugly, but it's still just the truth - no more, no less.

Freedom of speech on an open message board - please seek other message boards if you are too offended - otherwise - accept the criteria for posting - anonymity & freedom of speech!

Some of you people amaze me. Lipper Garabedian probably visited every house in Melrose, so yes, she worked very hard. Not sure if anyone here actually pays attention to the meetings but she also clearly was probably the most commonsense person on the board! So she is smart and works hard. Neither is a crime.

Dad
Freedom of speech on an open message board - please seek other message boards if you are too offended - otherwise - accept the criteria for posting - anonymity & freedom of speech!
Nice try... This place deletes posts left and right (well, actually only posts from the left get deleted, if you catch my drift). This is place is a unmitigated farce filled with the bottom of the barrel

Nah, I won’t say it, lol.

"only posts from the left get deleted"... Now that's funny. That's obviously predicated on notions that the Melrose version "left" is actually left.

Melrose is a political looking glass, where up is down and left is actually quite Trumpian. Those claiming to be "progressive" in this backwards little burb are generally unworthy of such a label. Look at the sordid recent history for numerous examples where nary a one of these self-labeled freedom fighters have uttered a peep of protest against publicly acknowledged injustices. The few actual progressives are routinely treated to a large menu of nastiness and abuse, including even threats of arrest by tinpot officials who don't like the public exposure of their misdeeds by the actual progressive activists fighting for the actual general good.

Some of Dolan's creatures, despite posing as progressive, appear to be townies or townie wannabees who are not thrilled when auslanders* might come into positions where they could shed unwelcome light or questions on The Way We Do Things Here.

* Or, in Maine parlance: People From Away. Common to New England is an attitude that anyone who is "not from here" is, essentially, a foreigner.

Lighten up, Alice. You’re gonna blow out your o-ring.

@Truth

You may have been sarcastic but you are in fact partially correct.

State Rep Position -- Low(ish) pay but don't forget all the perks and tax writeoffs. The hours aren't too bad and tend to be cyclical.

Running for political gain -- well duh! Of course she is, it's implied in the job description. State Rep is a much higher, far reaching position than local city councilor. It's a better job.

She needs to remember that she would also be representing the other communities who make up the district and not only Melrose. I'm interested in seeing how she handles this.

The is also the ego boost and "glory" of holding a political position that people who run for political positions cherish and enjoy. Don't fool yourself. It comes with the territory.

Truth is Lipper G campaigned hard to keep her seat. People voted for her thinking they were voting for an incumbent city councilor.

She must have been considering the state run throughout the campaign because there was high probability of Brodeur winning. I'm guessing that she decided on the state rep run about 5 min before she began campaigning earnestly for the councilor position. She wasn't all that active until late in the race.

Suddenly pieces began appearing online and in the papers about her. Meant to look like spontaneous testimonials but actually advertisements much like the Instagram influencers the kids follow.

Melrose voters thought were voting for someone that they wanted to represent them locally on hyperlocal issues.

The sticky part is the state rep position is a promotion and who turns down a promotion? Very few people do even if it means doing extra work for it.

It doesn't make you a bad person, just an ambitious person to pursue the more influential job but the voters of Melrose are also justified in feeling duped. Because they were.

No one was duped. You people are so thirsty for something to feel hurt/damaged/outraged about.

She campaigned hard throughout the race. Knocked on thousands of doors all summer long. Letters in the paper in support of candidates happen toward the end of the race. It is planned that way and is no indication of when the candidate started campaigning. Every candidate followed this timeline.

She was an incumbent running to keep her job. AFTER that happened, an opportunity for a promotion opened up so she is pursuing it. She will still do the job she’s elected to do (and continue to do it better than any of the other returning councilors) until (and if) she is elevated to the state house. Would this be less egregious to you if it happened four months into her term? Ten months? What arbitrary number will make you feel better about this very normal course of action? If they were both available at the same time, obviously she would have run for one and not the other. But they weren’t. Get a grip.

This is ridiculous
You people are so thirsty for something to feel hurt/damaged/outraged about.

Correct. Another example? The backlash now arising from reopening the Beebe School. What is wrong with these people? Where do they come up with the belief that everything has to accommodate them? Their sense of entitlement is staggering.

No one wants to write, or read, “Everything is just peachy, and I’m so happy”.

I might be the outlier but I don't like people knocking on my door. It's bothersome and I don't think it's a test of how good your are going to be in office. I could knock on every door in Melrose but it's a meaningless measure.

Lipper Garabedian wants to move up and she knew the position had a good likelihood of opening, perhaps higher than the results that came in. She knew she wanted to run for this seat but as far as I know, she kept very silent on it during her city councilor campaign.

I don't fault her for it but I can note it. It's ok to look at matters from all angles. You can discuss ideas in a multidimensional way unless you are afraid of getting kicked out of your circle of phonies, I mean friends.

I agree with you completely about people knocking on my door. I don't like it either, and although I of course understood it and admired them for doing so, what exactly was I going to say to or ask her parents when they came to my door? I think I said nice to meet you, good luck to her.

Don’t sleep on Anne Santos. She is very smart, experienced, and she knows why wearing orange still rubs some people the wrong way.

She is, but given the way the district is gerrymandered, she has very little chance.