Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Override waste/theft!

P.T. Barnum once said that there is a SUCKER born every minute. How prophetic he was when considering the fools that voted yes for the override. How many people do you personally know that earn a pension for working only a few hours per MONTH? I recently learned that the new members of the city council have joined the Melrose retirement system! The school committee does not receive a stipend or membership, nor should the councilors. Don't tell me your concerned with my best interests while picking my pockets at the same time! Many of the electorate thought that ship had sailed off with the late Board of Alderman and Mortimer.

Re: Override waste/theft!

It would indeed be fascinating to see where the override $$ went! I won’t hold my breath.

Interesting you bring this up now...I was just doing my taxes yesterday and remarked at how low our property taxes are in Melrose. There is definitely room for more taxation to address critical needs of the city. I hope there is another override proposed this coming year.

Timely
Interesting you bring this up now...I was just doing my taxes yesterday and remarked at how low our property taxes are in Melrose. There is definitely room for more taxation to address critical needs of the city. I hope there is another override proposed this coming year.
I guess its easy for you, assuming that you probably live on Meadowview, Larchmont, or Country Club Road. May I suggest, IN THE TRUE SPIRIT OF RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS, that you personally subsidize the Melrose School System, and leave tax payers alone. Who knows, they may make you a saint...SAINT SUCKER!

The only override that anyone in their right might even consider, and that's consider, not necessarily vote for (because as Horace says, most of us can certainly not afford it) would be for a new s new public safety building(s).

It is said that: 1.If you GIVE a person a fish he will survive the day. 2. If you TEACH a person how to fish he will survive for life. 3. If you give a person another person's fish then you have created a DEMOCRAT. The moral being Democrats equal insidious astards/duches!

Horace Mann
It is said that: 1.If you GIVE a person a fish he will survive the day. 2. If you TEACH a person how to fish he will survive for life. 3. If you give a person another person's fish then you have created a DEMOCRAT. The moral being Democrats equal insidious astards/duches!
Dude, that’s a pretty terrible post. Bet you were all smiles when you hit “post” but maybe you should have slowed your roll and thought “is this really as funny as I think it is”? Be better.

You're right ..., I had a similar retort, but decided it wasn't worth it.

On a serious note, we need new police and fire stations and also a complete overhaul of our roadways. I think 90% of the city would gladly vote for tax increases for those needs!

With confidence according to your view I will be among the majority who will vote NO
for another override.

Ummmmmm.........what?

There will be no support for another Override because people cannot afford more taxes. The newbies on the City Council will make sure all the Override money goes to the schools and will not support $ for new police and fire stations. Selfish millennials may regret their narcissism when their house catches fire, their kids need a narcan fix or a family member is injured in a car accident caused by speeding and traffic. Who cares if 1st responders work in buildings which should be condemned. Certainly One Melrose has different priorities.

We NEED another override to fix the police/fire and program to dig up and repave all roads in Melrose over a two year period. The cost isn’t that much, and our taxes are ridiculously low versus other towns in the area. We can afford this! We can do this!!

Let’s go!!!!!!

It’s happening
....our taxes are ridiculously low versus other towns in the area.

Surely you jest. Either that or you maxed out on the edibles.

Just gave up another big bunch of tax dollars per year in tax revenue to protect that s..thole building of dubious age, very limited architectural interest, and definite obsolescence on Essex Street.
Now will have to pay tax $ to fight - and lose - developer's 40B lawsuit.
I have not seen this year's budget yet, but you'll know what's going on when the Council under-appropriates schools out of General Fund in favor of other accounts while saying all override dollars are going to education as promised. Which - technically - they are, but are also being diverted elsewhere through budget machinations.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think the smart money's betting on me!

I agree with you, and particularly about the building on Essex Street. That was one of the most asinine decisions regarding development, in years!