Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mayor won’t cover PD & Firefighters CoVid19

Absolutely Disgusting!!! Brodeur told FD & PD union presidents they will NOT be covered under 111F presumptive language if they get sick with CoVid19. As a Firefighter in this community, Mr. Mayor I invite you to come with me to get exposed to this virus taking care of our community and see how you like it you POS!! 😡... Happy we didn’t endorse you and wonder how you sleep at night!

Re: Mayor won’t cover PD & Firefighters CoVid19

I thought that the Coronavirus Pandemic would finally open the eyes of elected officials and residents to how much we need to value and support Public Safety Public Servants. Brodeur should ride along on an emergency call and expose himself to the risk. I am not doubting this reporting but I can’t believe it’s true. Brodeur needs to publicly announce this decision. Where is Ruth Clay? Our Public Health Director has not been making public appearances. She should have been fired last summer. Is she being hidden away but continuing to be paid her big salary?

He's going to say that COVID19 is an illness like any other and there's no way to prove how transmission occurred. I wonder what he'd say if fire and police all called in sick at the same time? Hint.

I'm not surprised. He's a sackless little turd and always has been.

To be clear, FD & PD if they get CoVid will be utilizing their OWN sick time allowances & NOT covered under 111F as it stands at present. The difference, however, matters.

Would love to hear from other cities and towns about this issue. Melrose loves comparisons when they manipulate stats for MPS funding. Do any other municipalities force their public safety employees work in buildings which have always been the last priority? If members of the MPD and MFD get sick, who is going to cover their shifts while 5hey are home using their personal sick time? Melrose Public Safety has been understaffed and stressed to the limit for years. All the hapless BOA members and Mayors have serious soul searching to do. Your inactions and BS support means nothing. You should all be ashamed!

Under normal circumstances 111f is almost exclusively used to cover on-the-job-injuries. I can't think of an instance where it was used to cover illness like flu.

These, however, are not normal circumstances. I think it's safe to presume that public safety is exposed much more often in the course of their duties than in their time off and they don't have the option of just staying home. Therefore, for them COVID ought to be treated as having been acquired on-the-job.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unfortunately it seems we have a Mayor with no brain. What a gutless little weasel.

P.O.S. LIBERAL ENOUGH SAID.

Looks like what I expected from Mayor Brodeur - incompetence and hateful of PD & FD! We need to vote this fool out of office at the next election....but it will be difficult to do since he is a hack!

First Responders Matter
Absolutely Disgusting!!! Brodeur told FD & PD union presidents they will NOT be covered under 111F presumptive language if they get sick with CoVid19. As a Firefighter in this community, Mr. Mayor I invite you to come with me to get exposed to this virus taking care of our community and see how you like it you POS!! 😡... Happy we didn’t endorse you and wonder how you sleep at night!
I had always wondered what would prompt the first post I would have to make on the Melrose Messages site. Unfortunately, I was asked to view this site today after a co-worker saw a concerning post and reported it to me.

With that said, whomever the coward is that posted Mar. 21, under a hidden name “First Responders” in regard to Mayor Brodeur’s commitment to supporting Public Safety during the current Covid-19 crisis, you are misguided and misinformed.

Whether you are someone that actually serves the Melrose citizens or just a troll looking to push your wacko agendas, you are offering nothing to this crisis, public safety unions/employees or society as a whole. And let’s face it, you are not the voice of the fine men and women serving the citizens of Melrose in the FD or PD.

What the public, or any of the sane people that visit this site should know, is that Public Safety Union Heads are working with Mayor Brodeur and his staff on a policy to ensure protections for Public Safety employees who are serving the City of Melrose during the Covid-19 crisis. The City Council is also well aware of this. I’m sure we will get there soon as both parties know how important this is to those employees, their families and the public we serve.

Anyone who knows me, including the Mayor, his staff and department heads are well aware that I am not afraid to state the positions of our Union and put my name to it. So whatever divide between Unions and the City this individual (the poster) is trying to create will fail, as will misleading the sane public.
So to that original poster and those that followed with similar comments, you can go back your little lives and rejoin your Alex Jones’s podcast. I, and other Union heads will remain focused on our work with Mayor Brodeur to protect our Public Safety employees, their families and the public we serve.

Sincerely,
Bill Stare, President
Melrose Firefighters Local 1617

How's the view from up the Mayor's a$$? Did you have to shove the Chief out of the way to see out?

Hey, Mr Union President - I read every post here, and though some of them take potshots at the Mayor, every single one of them was nothing but supportive of public safety personnel. You make a big mistake dissing your supporters in an attempt to curry favor with the Mayor. Years ago the police union tried to curry favor by endorsing Dolan before his first election. How did that work out for them?

DPW Worker Fights For His Life As Melrose Coronavirus Cases Grow
The 56-year-old man developed symptoms two days after attending a sizable department meeting. There are now 24 coronavirus cases in Melrose.
By Mike Carraggi, Patch Staff
Mar 30, 2020 3:48 pm ET | Updated Mar 30, 2020 4:48 pm ET
The Melrose Department of Public Works employee with coronavirus is a father of three whose son said has "literally dedicated his life to Melrose."
The Melrose Department of Public Works employee with coronavirus is a father of three whose son said has "literally dedicated his life to Melrose." (Mike Carraggi/Patch)

MELROSE, MA — A longtime Melrose Department of Public Works employee is fighting for his life after a coronavirus infection landed him on a ventilator just days after attending a sizable department meeting.

The 56-year-old man, whose son asked not be identified to limit how much is known about the severity of his condition to certain family members, is in the intensive care unit at Lahey Hospital in Burlington. He has preexisting health conditions, including a lung disease.

Mayor Paul Brodeur confirmed the man's illness Monday afternoon. Health Director Ruth Clay said there were 24 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city and no deaths. Brodeur said the city is reversing course and will return to publicly announcing the number of confirmed cases given the state's "evolving position" on the matter.

>>>Latest: 8 More Dead, Nearly 800 More Coronavirus Cases in Massachusetts

The DPW worker, a father of three whose son said has "literally dedicated his life to Melrose," started showing symptoms two days after a March 18 DPW meeting at the cafeteria above the department garage.

His son said there were 50 people at the meeting, despite the state at that point limiting public gatherings to half that. City officials said there were fewer than 50 people, as it was primarily for operations managers. The department consists of some 60 people.

The meeting was to implement scheduling changes and other efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

The city has been tracking the worker's social interactions, despite him living out of town. An infected person's city of residence is usually responsible for getting in touch with people the person may have had contact with.

Still, there are privacy laws the city must be careful not to violate.

"In some respects it's distressingly complicated," Brodeur said.

"We want to give [people] the best information they can about potential exposure given a particular scenario," he added. "The Health Department has been in touch with at least three folks that have been initially identified as close contacts ... One of the three was deemed not to be a close contact under the protocols. The other two were and will be quarantined."

Officials will talk with DPW workers Tuesday about what they can do if they are concerned about being at the March 18 meeting.

The man's son said he thinks everyone in the department should be quarantined.

The man worked March 20, two days after the meeting. He came home feeling ill.

"It rapidly spiraled from there," his son said.

The man developed a fever five days after the meeting, then a bad cough. He was taken to the hospital a week after the meeting and a test came back positive the next day.

His son said his father is the first person the city would call when something went wrong and the first to show up.

"He's willing to help anybody, he's always there for everybody," his son said. "The amount of support he's received from his friends and family tells you the kind of guy that he is. He's a great person."

Brodeur sent his well-wishes to the man.

"My heart goes out to the employee and the family," he said. "We're keeping him in our prayers."

The city, meanwhile, will resume making the number of positive tests public. Clay said the city is seeing new cases every day.

The man's son, who was distressed to hear Brodeur say over the weekend the city was not releasing coronavirus numbers, was hoping for a reversal.

"I understand that there's an economy that needs to keep going but you can't keep people in the dark," he said. "You don't know whose going home to an elderly grandparent. To be completely honest with you I was taking this lightly — this COVID-19 thing — but when it hits close to home like this and how fast and how rapidly my father has declined — it scared the [crap] out of me."

Never forget that the person you pass may not have spoken to anyone else for days. Loneliness is something you cannot see, and that individual that you smile at today will feel their spirits raise up inside simply because someone cared enough to look their way.Social distancing that could make a difference,that we are all doing at this time. keep the coronavirus under control through social distancing.