Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ask the Mayor!

School Committee meeting a high school senior gave up precious time to come down to the meeting to speak, only to be talked over by the chair, Margaret Driscoll and Cindy Taymore--incredibly rude and disrespectful. That young woman, a senior at MHS, spoke with dignity and was articulate about why she was upset to see the changes the SC approved, sadly, to the MHS Program of Studies (with unleveling of all 9th grade classes and a change to unweighted GPA--very damaging to anyone from now on seeking to be admitted to the most selective colleges), only to be treated with such haughty rudeness by the chair and superintendent.Does the school committee respect the people and students that come to speak?My opinion is no.

Probably never answer the questions.Because it is probably not the The Mayor.Two questions have been answered.Time will tell because we}er at new two questions to see maybe a answer.We all have keep in mind to have been answered.It is hard for me to believe that this is the mayor answering these questions.Maybe we have a mayor that cares.

coronavirus is a “serious threat to the people of Melrose Mass 02176.

Attention All
Probably never answer the questions.Because it is probably not the The Mayor.Two questions have been answered.Time will tell because we}er at new two questions to see maybe a answer.We all have keep in mind to have been answered.It is hard for me to believe that this is the mayor answering these questions.Maybe we have a mayor that cares.
I care, but I don’t really understand the point of your post.

- Mayor

If you had one album to listen to on an island, what would it be?

Question
Great question! I may be influenced by current events, but my pick would be “Strange Days” by the Doors. Keep the questions coming!

- Mayor

Paul Brodeur
Question
Great question! I may be influenced by current events, but my pick would be “Strange Days” by the Doors. Keep the questions coming!

- Mayor
Great choice!

Question
Does the school committee respect the people and students that come to speak? A school committee meeting.Too many interruptions from members and superintendent. When people are speaking at public has five minutes to speak.How about Melrose Coronavirus Cases Grow do you know what the numbers are for melrose?

Attention All
Question
Does the school committee respect the people and students that come to speak? A school committee meeting.Too many interruptions from members and superintendent. When people are speaking at public has five minutes to speak.How about Melrose Coronavirus Cases Grow do you know what the numbers are for melrose?
Good suggestion, we will make sure to take it under advisement.

Keep the questions coming!

- Mayor

Will there be little league this year?

Concerned Parent
Will there be little league this year?
Yes, of course. I have to throw out the first pitch!

- Mayor

What is your TV guilty pleasure? Thanks for doing this!

Could God make a rock so big that even He/She couldn't move it?

Light Stuff
What is your TV guilty pleasure? Thanks for doing this!
Watching reruns of the Golden Girls on TV Land. Betty White is a National Treasure! Also, National Treasure is my favorite Nick Cage movie!

- Mayor

Geezer
Could God make a rock so big that even He/She couldn't move it?
What’s the matter with you, Geezer? You think this is a time for smart ass jokes? Shaking my head....

No, you're absolutely correct, let's just all sit locked up in our houses and cry until we die. Better?

Melrose, we need to do more to flatten the curve. Tonight, I signed an advisory voted on by the Melrose Board of Health. More info to come, but here's tonight's message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqJoUKiYro

This is Melrose Mayor Paul Brodeur

Today we learned that there have been 59 total cases of COVID-19 in Melrose. I am sad to report that we have lost our second resident to the virus.

Public health experts agree that a major surge in cases will hit the greater Boston area in the coming days. The science tells us that we must take every opportunity to slow the spread of the virus to protect ourselves and our front-line workers, and to conserve limited medical resources. After reviewing our current protocols, and conferring with other municipal leaders and health care providers, I have determined that stronger steps must be taken to ensure the health and safety of our community.

Tonight the city, through a vote of the Melrose Board of Health, and through my signature, has issued a Public Health Advisory which urges residents to adhere to the following:

-Between the hours of 6 a.m. and 9 p.m., normal business hours, only leave your house in order to receive or provide an essential service. Trips outside the home are limited to appropriately-spaced passive recreation, medical appointments, getting food, and other essential activities. Simply put, please don’t go out into the community unless you really need to to take care of yourself or a loved one.

-We are announcing an advisory evening curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. During this time we ask that you each stay in your homes or yards except in emergencies. Your cooperation will further reduce the likelihood that the virus will spread. Staying home saves lives.

-When you do need to go out in public, cover your nose and mouth with a face covering. This will reduce your risk of spreading the virus, particularly if you are unaware you are infected. Recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control recommend this practice, and their website has a great deal of additional information. You can use a scarf, homemade mask, or bandanna. Please do not use a medical grade or N95 mask as those need to be conserved for our first responders, medical personnel and other frontline workers.

Regarding activities in our parks, the reports I have received of residents congregating in parks are entirely unacceptable. While many of you have stepped up by practicing social distancing and limiting your time outside of the home, it is clear that the message hasn’t reached everyone. Our parks are open but only for a limited number of activities: hiking, walking, cycling, jogging, wheelchair use, scootering, and pet-walking. Physical spacing of six feet is required at all times. Other activities are not allowed. Not following these rules puts the community at risk. I know we can do better.

This advisory will go into effect at 9 pm April 7, 2020 and my office will be communicating more about these provisions in the coming days.

The Melrose police will take notice of violators, and you can utilize the police department’s tip line to report infractions. You can access the tip line by going to melrosepolice.net/tips, calling 781-665-TIPS, or texting 847411. All reasonable efforts will be made to secure voluntary compliance with this advisory.

The pandemic is going to get worse before it gets better, and every decision each of you make in the coming days will have a huge impact on the health and safety of not only yourself and your own family, but your friends, neighbors, and even strangers. So many of you came out on Friday night to say thank you to the front line workers during Clap Because We Care, and it was awesome. But the best way we call all say thank you to the men and women who can’t take a day off or work from home is by taking these important steps every day to flatten the curve and reduce the spread of COVID-19. The best way we can all help each other get through this is to stay home and stay safe.

This is a challenge for all Melrosians, and I know are up to the challenge. Together, we will get through this.
This is Melrose Mayor Paul Brodeur Today we learned that there have been 59 total cases of COVID-19 in Melrose. I am sad to report that we have lost our seco...
youtube.com
Mayor Brodeur's Coronavirus Update April 6th
This is Melrose Mayor Paul Brodeur Today we learned that there have…
This is Melrose Mayor Paul Brodeur Today we learned that there have been 59 total cases of COVID-19 in Melrose. I am sad to report that we have lost our seco...

Yes, I said that already.

- Mayor

Ok - a few questions about the latest order from the health department

1. Why a curfew? What is it about being out late at night that makes it more likely that I will get the virus? I like to jog at 5 am. It’s great because nobody else is out there. If you make me jog at 6 am there will be more people out there. This seems backwards.

2. Can I go to work? When I read this, it seems that essential people can go to work at night but not during the day?

3. Can I sit in my own backyard? This seems to say that I can’t sit alone in my own yard, or play catch with my own kid in my own yard?

4. I like to drive around at night to clear my head and get away from my family. I’m not going anywhere. Can I do this?

5. Some people are doing drive-by birthday parties for kids where you drive by their house and beep. Is this ok? Nobody interacts, but it’s fun for the kids. This document suggests that the police might try to stop this. Is that true?

Thanks

The 6AM is particularly wrong-headed in April 2020 given that dawn already precedes that time and sunrise soon will too. Spreading out recreation over more hours is better for public health.

If the real issue is that the dark makes it harder for City police to *monitor* then be direct and honest about that, but it's not dark at 6AM, and soon enough it won't be dark at 5AM and when it will make sense for people who can only exercise in the coolest time of the day to do so. That should be reconsidered - VERY fast.

The aping of Mayor Walsh's action for Boston will strike many Melrosians as inapt for Melrose.

Besides, police who actually try to stop people will be potentially engaging in mutual exposure to the virus, right? Do we want to encourage a pretext for that?

Sd
Ok - a few questions about the latest order from the health department

1. Why a curfew? What is it about being out late at night that makes it more likely that I will get the virus? I like to jog at 5 am. It’s great because nobody else is out there. If you make me jog at 6 am there will be more people out there. This seems backwards.

2. Can I go to work? When I read this, it seems that essential people can go to work at night but not during the day?

3. Can I sit in my own backyard? This seems to say that I can’t sit alone in my own yard, or play catch with my own kid in my own yard?

4. I like to drive around at night to clear my head and get away from my family. I’m not going anywhere. Can I do this?

5. Some people are doing drive-by birthday parties for kids where you drive by their house and beep. Is this ok? Nobody interacts, but it’s fun for the kids. This document suggests that the police might try to stop this. Is that true?

Thanks
1) it is about the relatively reduction on city staff (police and fire) during the curfew, which allows more deployment for event during the non-Curfew time.

2) if you a more deemed an Essential Employee you can go to work anytime. If you are going out of the house for other reasons, just keep them to essential items.

3) yes, of course, as long as you keep your clothes on. Ditto for playing catch with your child; clothes are required.

4) no, go in your basement, spark a joint and put on Steppenwolf.

5) these beep parties will continue. They are sweet.

Alright, if we don’t have new questions in the next day I will consider this thread closed. Thank you all for the great questions and let’s all come together for the future of Melrose.

- Mayor

Are you saying you don't want more questions with one day period of time?Consider it closed.Do you prefer no Questions.So you will not communicate back to us if someone his a Question.So all you did was a good impression that you care and then if nobody had a question for a couple days you are done answering questions.You know very well that it is easier to ask questions than answer them.Give answer.Not surprised to see you walk away and consider it closed.Iam sure there:s a lot of questions about this disease were all fighting coronavirus 19 to live.This has an impact on every family in this community it is crisis her in Melrose.

Curfew? That's astonishing - prohibit people from going out when no one is out anyway. After heart surgery, it's especially important for me to exercise. Gyms are closed, so I go out and walk in the middle of the night in order to absolutely minimize chances that I'll even see another human being, let alone not be able to properly distance myself.

This disease is not some terrorist skulking around in the middle of the night trying to blow stuff up. A curfew during daylight hours makes more sense. Is this virus a nightmare? Of course, but trying to force people to use common sense is a waste of time. There is no cure for stupidity.

Paul Brodeur
Alright, if we don’t have new questions in the next day I will consider this thread closed. Thank you all for the great questions and let’s all come together for the future of Melrose.

- Mayor
There's no such thing as a stupid question.May be he thinks some of questions are dumb.The questions should be about Coronavirus information to help all of us.

People Post
Are you saying you don't want more questions with one day period of time?Consider it closed.Do you prefer no Questions.So you will not communicate back to us if someone his a Question.So all you did was a good impression that you care and then if nobody had a question for a couple days you are done answering questions.You know very well that it is easier to ask questions than answer them.Give answer.Not surprised to see you walk away and consider it closed.Iam sure there:s a lot of questions about this disease were all fighting coronavirus 19 to live.This has an impact on every family in this community it is crisis her in Melrose.
Hi there, I am going to pick up the “answer duties” for
Paul on this thread.

So, what are the hot questions?

Thanks,
Gail

By gawd! That’s Gail Infurna’s music!!!!

Jerry Lawler
So Paul Brodeur how do we stop this corona-virus 19 and what else can we do?

The Big Show
Jerry Lawler
Are you saying you don't want more questions with one day period of time?Consider it closed.Do you prefer no Questions.So you will not communicate back to us if someone his a Question.So all you did was a good impression that you care and then if nobody had a question for a couple days you are done answering questions.You know very well that it is easier to ask questions than answer them.Give answer.Not surprised to see you walk away and consider it closed.Iam sure there:s a lot of questions about this disease were all fighting coronavirus 19 to live.This has an impact on every family in this community it is crisis her in Melrose.So ask the MAYOR is done answering questions. Appropriately means understanding the situation and working out what kind of response to give. In familiar settings this may be easy,but when you:re with people you don;t know so well; you may have to weigh things up quite quickly.

Gail, what is your favorite memory of your successful tenure as Mayor?

Thinking of happier times...

I like turtles.

The questions should be about Coronavirus information to help all of us.

Ted Kenney

People Post
Ted Kenney
Are you saying you don't want more questions with one day period of time?Consider it closed.Do you prefer no Questions.So you will not communicate back to us if someone his a Question.So all you did was a good impression that you care and then if nobody had a question for a couple days you are done answering questions.You know very well that it is easier to ask questions than answer them.Give answer.Not surprised to see you walk away and consider it closed.Iam sure there:s a lot of questions about this disease were all fighting coronavirus 19 to live.This has an impact on every family in this community it is crisis her in Melrose.So ask the MAYOR is done answering questions. Appropriately means understanding the situation and working out what kind of response to give. In familiar settings this may be easy,but when you:re with people you don;t know so well; you may have to weigh things up quite quickly.

Natjiral Life
People Post
Ted Kenney
Repost. Too long; didn’t read. Distracts from the purpose and good information on this thread.

Come on folks, let’s re-read what we’ve written before pressing “post.”

Now, I have to get back to important business. Gail has graciously agreed to keep answering questions, so ask away!

- Mayor

So, does home seclusion make people more gullible, or simply bored enough to play along for something to do?

So to let you know are a lot people on the field at the High School.Are you going to shut it down?

That last question was for the Mayor Paul Brodeur.

Happy Times
Gail, what is your favorite memory of your successful tenure as Mayor?

Thinking of happier times...
Great question. I had so many wonderful memories, but the one that will stay with me is dining al fresco during the Stroll with friends and seeing so many of the great citizens of Melrose. We are a great City.

Gail

When is the so-called Mayor ever going to give a straight-forward, honest answer to a question? Instead of the usual political avoid-an-answer-that makes-me-look-bad. So, the questions are: when are you going to get rid of Ruth Clay and the DPW chief? Without the usual skirting the issue language.....you have been in politics a long time Mayor, and your evasiveness shows it!!

So to let you know are a lot people on the field at the High School.Are you going to shut it down?April 12 2020.Who,s going to answer this question?

Ted Kenney
So to let you know are a lot people on the field at the High School.Are you going to shut it down?April 12 2020.Who,s going to answer this question?
Thanks for the question! The great thing about a football field is that it has a painted line every three feet (they are called “yard lines”). So, it is very easy for people to measure that they are remaining six feet apart (by standing two “yard lines” away from each other). Of course, the “yard lines” only run in one direction so people still need to use common sense to ensure that they aren’t too close on the “width” portion. That being said, it is a much more appropriate place to - responsibly - meet up than other sporting areas like a tennis court or baseball field; they don’t have the “yard lines.”

I appreciate your concern, but this one shouldn’t trouble you!

Gail

Gail Infurna
Ted Kenney
Thanks for the question! The great thing about a football field is that it has a painted line every three feet (they are called “yard lines”). So, it is very easy for people to measure that they are remaining six feet apart (by standing two “yard lines” away from each other). Of course, the “yard lines” only run in one direction so people still need to use common sense to ensure that they aren’t too close on the “width” portion. That being said, it is a much more appropriate place to - responsibly - meet up than other sporting areas like a tennis court or baseball field; they don’t have the “yard lines.”

I appreciate your concern, but this one shouldn’t trouble you!

Gail

Thank you Ted Kenney.

The last DPW chief left Melrose about 9 months ago. The new DPW director just started at the beginning of this month.

Still not tired of "playing Geezer", you buffoon?

There have been ??? total cases of COVID-19 in Melrose.

Is whether we ALL will be informed of when/where the ? people who have tested positive have recently been, if they were indeed public places. Could someone clarify that for all?

Gail Infurna

I appreciate your concern, but this one shouldn’t trouble you! Gail

I can see that you haven't gotten any smarter since leaving the big office, and since you're a nurse, I'm completely appalled that you would post such drivel. The six foot rule does not apply in any case involving even moderate physical activity, like jogging. If you are infected and jog, you leave a cloud of airborne virus particles behind you for as much as 40 to 50 feet.

You aren't just ignorant, you're dangerous. Of course the people on Brazil Street already knew that.

I'm still waiting for an answer to the "When is Ruth Clay going to be fired?" question.

Is whether we ALL will be informed of when/where the ? people who have tested positive have recently been, if they were indeed public places. Could someone clarify that for all? COVID-19 in Melrose.

Exactly how many times are you going to post this?

Not sure what you are talking about. Read the question that was asked.

1 2 3 4 5 6