Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
O'Connell to be MHS PTO President? & Site Council Representative?

How is this possible? Is Melrose some sort of parallel universe?

Date: Mar 29, 2014 12:59:55 PM
Subject: MHS PTO
To: Kristen Harvey

Good afternoon! Our next MHS PTO meeting will be, Monday, April 7th at 6:30 in the Resource Center of the High School. I will not be able to make it, but Vice-president Cathy O'Brien will be there to lead the meeting. There will be no guest speaker.

For those of you that don't know, I went back to school this year for my Masters in Education. I have put a lot of thought into it, and decided I cannot continue as the PTO president next year, I am simply too busy and have many scheduling conflicts. Over the next month the PTO will be accepting nominations for all positions. So far we have nominations for:
President - Ed O'Connell
Vice President - Cathy O'Brien (has agreed to stay on for another year)
Treasurer - Trisha Appleby (has agreed to stay on for another year)
Secretary - Rebecca Dempster (still deciding)

Please let me know if you - or anyone you know - may be interested in serving on next years PTO board. We will be voting at the May meeting.

Attached is the meeting agenda and minutes. If you would like anything added or discussed, let me know before the meeting.

I hope you are all able to make it April 7th!!

Re: O'Connell to be MHS PTO President? & Site Council Representative?

Guess it's ok as long as he's not near any cash.

Can't think of a better candidate to head the Middle school PTO than a convicted felon who stole 10's of thousands of dollars from his clients and the elderly! His moral aptitude and violation of the oath he took to become a lawyer would surely be helpful to the PTO. Of course they would need to ensure that the money is securely locked away from him. And to believe that people in this city actually think that this makes sense, only confirms the insanity of those associated with this school system!

I hope you're taking some courses on common sense Ms. Harvey. The guy is a convicted felon and lost his license to practice law for converting 1.5 million dollars from his clients some of whom were elderly and will never see a dime in restitution.
This guy is just itching to be legitimized. He doesn't deserve it nor should he ever be placed in a position of trust. He lost that honor when he chose to steal.

All she said is that he was nominated. You don't know by who or that anyone is even considering him, just that he was nominated. By the way, it says High School, not Middle School.

Nomination
All she said is that he was nominated. You don't know by who or that anyone is even considering him, just that he was nominated. By the way, it says High School, not Middle School.

He wasn't just "nominated" to the HS Site Council. Farrell appointed him! So now he's moving onto the next notch in his legitimacy belt. It's really sick, both that he thinks this is appropriate and worse that the administration thought there was nothing wrong with it and went ahead and appointed him. Ordinary humans guilty of committing felonies but not in the politicians' graces wouldn't have made it through an ordinary CORI check. Here in this parallel universe known as Melrose good people can end up being vilified and treated terribly by this same system, while this kind of character gets carte blanche entry into the higher echelons of school administration (seeing as how site councils are supposed to be the advisory group to the principal). Upside down and backwards!

That just about says it all.

Reading this string is like watching a movie and waiting to see which one of our village idiots is going to grab his rope, put on his white sheet, load up his shotgun and head on out to the Common to participate in the fun.

Tom Robinson

Hey Jem.....when it comes to our kids and role models, speaking out is our right in this country until you and others ride in on your tanks to stop free speech.

You missed jen's point.

Are you kidding me? O'Connell is no Tom Robinson. He is not an innocent maligned. He is a convicted felon. He is and was guilty as charged. They do not strip lawyers of their license to practice for no reason. In fact, it is pretty hard to lose your license. Being stripped of your license to practice means that he can no longer EVER be trusted to handle client funds or be an officer of the Court.

That is a huge indictment of not only his lack of character but his ability to be trusted in any way, shape, or form by anyone; one made by the civil and criminal courts as well as by the BBO. He had due process, repeatedly and was repeatedly found guilty.

What part don't people get? Whoever appointed him to the Site Council is and was an idiot. That man is sliming his way to legitimacy. That is what con men do.

"Jem" on this Board sorely misses the point of the "To Kill a Mockingbird." Pathetic. Is that you Ed/Jem?

I did not miss the point at all and I would suggest to "No Tom" that he go back and watch the movie a little more carefully. Pay particular attention to what Scout has to say, late that night, at the jailhouse door, with the "Tom Haters" sitting on their horses, ready to string him up.

Then think about our own little group of Haters. Why is he still living here? I can't believe he's working? How can he run for election? Why doesn't he move to another town? We should make him move!

I'm just pointing out a similarity between Maycomb and Melrose. I can't help it if it hurts, but it's true.

To Kill a Mockingbird was not about individual characters. It was about a community, their decisions and the impact on the small town.

The analogy to Melrose is perfect.

This is not about the movie or the book. It is about a convicted felon who has been disbarred. Melrose hasn't done anything. He broke the law. Actions have consequences. Defrauding people has repercussions in society.

I nominate John Burbine. No, wait...............forget that. He hung himself.

Jem
Reading this string is like watching a movie and waiting to see which one of our village idiots is going to grab his rope, put on his white sheet, load up his shotgun and head on out to the Common to participate in the fun.

Tom Robinson

Sorry, sport, but this idiot O'Connell is left handed.

i'd hazard a guess that he nominated himself. i'd also say that unless anyone else is willing to volunteer their time for the position, he'll get it. it's not a small undertaking, and there just aren't that many people who show up regularly at the meetings, so it's a small candidate pool to start with.

not defending him, btw - i'd be horrified to see him running the PTO. but hey, at least he didn't nominate himself for treasurer.[:-|]

did this guy go to jail for stealing the money?
If he did why is there a question if he should serve, the answer should be clear and simple NO.
A level 3 sexual offender will always be a level 3 sex offender.
Why should it be different for a thief?

Once a thief always a thief.

Yes, he did time on the Vineyard (soft time, but jail nonetheless, and 10 years probation).

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Ed is no doubt screwed. He is simply going to keep going because he believes this is right. He if he wanted anything other than to help this town, he would simply stop. He is out to prove that he is no longer a bad man. He wants to do the same that he has done for the past few years on the MVMMS Site Council. He wants to make this town a better place for all who come after him.

Gag.

Oh, Please!
Gag.

How eloquent. Can you also make Farting noises?

Nice post Righteousness.

The fact of the matter is that the current president wanted out and no one wanted to step up and take the position, no one. So Ed offered. Now the rightious and holyier than thou ladies of melrose are in an uproar where where they before this. Yes he commited a crime. He did his time and paid for his crime, he ran for SC he did not hide it. How long must he wear a scarlet letter. He is not running for treasurer.

He has NOT paid for his crimes. Has every one of his victims been made whole? Until he pays back every dime he stole, he's just another convicted felon, not deserving of any consideration whatever. Ask his victims if they think he's "rehabilitated".

The high school PTO is irrelevant, it really doesn't matter who calls themselves president. Only a small handful of parents attend the meetings. I imagine with an unpopular man as president, the PTO may cease to exist after next year.

I don't think anyone would notice if the PTO went away.

Righteousness
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Ed is no doubt screwed. He is simply going to keep going because he believes this is right. He if he wanted anything other than to help this town, he would simply stop. He is out to prove that he is no longer a bad man. He wants to do the same that he has done for the past few years on the MVMMS Site Council. He wants to make this town a better place for all who come after him.

"Righteousness" sounds like it has to be the culprit himself, or a lover, family member, or politician-fan that he raised money for. Only someone that deluded could possibly equate EoC with Atticus Finch, making him out to be some sort of heroic martyr. Shows how sick it is here that this guy would have been given the time of day, let alone leadership positions in a school system. There are lots of legitimate ways to demonstrate contrition and earn legitimate respectability, but this isn't one of them. Yes, sounds like a crazy "girl"friend making these posts. And there is a likely suspect....Rah, Rah Red Raiders![:|]

Atticus Finch was never disbarred and never stole his client's money so the comparison is even more pathetic.

"?" is correct. The PTO is irrelevant. I have had 2 children recently pass through MHS and got into good schools and are now off and very successful. I was completely unaware of a MHS PTO until I saw this site. As long as no tax dollars go to this guy, I could not care less.

Melrose Patriot
Atticus Finch was never disbarred and never stole his client's money so the comparison is even more pathetic.

The analogy wasn't about the two lawyers, you Nimrod, the analogy was about the two defendents and the "Hate" that both experienced in their community. You get it now, Nimrod? The Lynch mob in Maycomb equates to the little group of Melrose Haters from our little community.

B. Radley
To Kill a Mockingbird was not about individual characters. It was about a community, their decisions and the impact on the small town.

The analogy to Melrose is perfect.

I have to agree with Mr. Radley.

Boo
The analogy wasn't about the two lawyers, you Nimrod, the analogy was about the two defendents and the "Hate" that both experienced in their community. You get it now, Nimrod? The Lynch mob in Maycomb equates to the little group of Melrose Haters from our little community.

Who's the Nimrod? Tom Robinson was innocent. O'Connell is a convicted felon who still hasn't made restitution to his victims. The only Melrose Haters I've ever come across are the ones in the Mayor's little cabal and most of those half-wits on the School Committee, and their targets are anyone who doesn't agree with them.

To Kill a Mocking Bird inspired generations of men and women to either become attorneys or get into social work and wrong the rights of society for the last 40 years or more. Hate to break it to Ed’s supporters but I would suggest that you read or re-read Harper Lee’s book…lest you look any more foolish than your postings already reveal.

Sorry, Pattycakes, but lawyers and social workers have been asleep on the job if they've been trying to "right the wrongs of society", which is what I think you meant.

One tee many martuni's for Patty last night

Real Facts
Sorry, Pattycakes, but lawyers and social workers have been asleep on the job if they've been trying to "right the wrongs of society", which is what I think you meant.

First... I thought there was a law against using the word 'Lawyer' and Social Worker in the same sentence.

And Second... I'm pretty sure Patricia said exactly what she meant in her comment about wronging the rights of society. She's been doing it for years, right here in Melrose!

[:))]

So (1) you support a convicted felon who is a disbarred lawyer and who never paid back his victims, (2) you try to paint the convicted felon as a wronged victim AND (3) you take pot shots at a lawyer (not disbarred and in good standing) who speaks the truth.

You do your community a great disservice. Many can see what the cabal is doing notwithstanding the multiple postings from the same person.

Don't forget, with our tax dollars we also support a disbarred attorney that works in administration at the Charter School. In that situation it is not a PTO volunteer, rather it is a paid adminstrator using our tax dollars to bad mouth traditional public schools.

Can we get his/her name from you since many of us are not privy to such information?

His name is Marty Gately.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

NO. BD-2007-102

IN RE: MARTIN J. GATELY

S.J.C. Order of Indefinite Suspension entered by Justice Greaney on November 5, 2007, with an effective date of December 5, 2007.1

SUMMARY2

The respondent, Martin J. Gately, Esq., was admitted to the Bar of the Commonwealth on December 13, 1988. He was indefinitely suspended as a result of his conduct in one matter.

In or around September 1, 1998, the respondent was retained to represent a client in a personal injury claim as a result of a motor vehicle accident that occurred on or about August 28, 1998. The respondent settled the client’s claim with for $30,000 without obtaining the client’s consent to the settlement or advising him that the claim had settled. The respondent received a settlement check payable to the client and the respondent in the amount of $30,000 on or about September 24, 2002. He then signed or caused another person to sign the client’s name to the back of the check without the client’s knowledge or consent and deposited the check into his IOLTA account on or about September 26, 2002.

After September 26, 2002, without the client’s knowledge or consent, the respondent intentionally expended the settlement funds for his own business or personal purposes or those of other clients. The respondent issued a check in the amount of $5,150.00 from his IOLTA account to an attorney for Malden Hospital in payment of the client’s hospital bill on or about December 18, 2002, but made no additional payments made to or for the benefit of the client. By March 31, 2003, the balance in the respondent’s IOLTA account had been reduced to $596.40.

In June 2006, the client telephoned the respondent seeking a status report regarding his claim. The respondent failed to return the client’s telephone calls. The client then contacted the insurer and was informed that his claim had settled in September 2002, for $30,000 and that the settlement check was paid on October 1, 2002. The client then filed a complaint against the respondent with the Office of Bar Counsel. After being informed of the client’s complaint, the respondent on or about September 5, 2006, issued the client a check in the amount of $14,850 representing two thirds of the $30,000 settlement after deduction of the respondent’s one-third legal fee and the client’s $5,150 medical bill that the respondent had paid to Malden Hospital.

By settling his client’s personal injury claim and signing or causing the client’s name to be signed to the settlement check without the client’s knowledge or consent, the respondent violated Mass. R. Prof. C. 1.2(a), 1.4, and 8.4(c). By failing to account to the client for the settlement and intentionally converting settlement funds with intent to deprive the client of the use of the funds at least temporarily and with actual deprivation resulting, the respondent violated Mass. R. Prof. C 1.15(a) (in effect prior to July 1, 2004; now 1.15(b) and 8.4(c)).

In aggravation, the respondent received an admonition in 2002 for neglecting a criminal matter and for requiring the client to sign a release withdrawing the client’s disciplinary claim against him as a condition of the settlement of the client’s small claims action against him. See AD. No. 02-46, 18 Mass. Att'y. Disc. R. 720 (2002).

Bar Counsel filed a petition for discipline with the Board of Bar Overseers on June 22, 2007. The respondent filed a stipulation on September 10, 2007, admitting to the above-recited facts and disciplinary violations, and agreeing to an indefinite suspension.

On October 15, 2007, the Board of Bar Overseers voted to accept the parties’ stipulation and recommendation for discipline. On October 30, the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County entered an order indefinitely suspending the respondent.

And just for good measure here's Ed O'Connell's SJC Opinion of Disbarment.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

NO. BD-2003-057

IN RE: EDWARD J. O’CONNELL

S.J.C. Judgment of Disbarment entered by Justice Spina on September 18, 2003, with an effective date of October 18, 2003.1

SUMMARY2

On or about May 2, 2003, the respondent represented Countrywide Home Loans (“Countrywide”) at a closing in which Countrywide was providing a mortgage loan to Rafael Dones, for the purchase of a home from Veronica Kabba. The respondent took possession of the funds from Countrywide and deposited them in his client funds account. From those funds, the respondent was supposed to pay Kabba’s outstanding mortgage with Ameriquest Mortgage in the amount of approximately $195,000. The respondent did not utilize Countrywide’s funds to pay Kabba’s outstanding Ameriquest Mortgage. The respondent intentionally converted those funds to his own use with the intent to deprive Kabba of those funds, and with deprivation resulting.

On October 26, 2002, the respondent represented a lender, Option One Mortgage (“Option One”), in the refinancing of the mortgage of James Dolbier and Joanne Cicero. PCFS Financial Services (“PCFS”) held the original mortgage on the property in the amount of approximately $209,000. The respondent received funds from Option One prior to the closing, but did not pay off the PCFS mortgage until April 14, 2003. Sometime later in April 2003, the respondent utilized funds belonging to another client, which he was holding in his client funds account, to pay off the PCFS mortgage.

On August 15, 2002, the respondent represented a lender that was loaning money to a party to purchase property owned by Fran Basche. The respondent received money from the lender from which he was supposed to use to pay off Fran Basche’s mortgage at the Winchester Savings Bank. The respondent converted approximately $130,000 of those funds to his own use with the intention of depriving Basche of the funds and with deprivation resulting. Consequently, when the respondent wrote a check for approximately $203,000 to the Winchester Savings Bank on his client funds account, the check was dishonored. The respondent subsequently replenished his client funds account by borrowing approximately $170,000 from friends and family members, and paid off Basche’s mortgage.

Sometime in 2000, the respondent represented Joseph Koerner in the sale of his home in Cambridge, and with respect to certain zoning matters. In connection with the zoning matters, Koerner gave the respondent $50,000 to cover the cost of any renovations to the property that might be required subsequent to the sale as an outcome of the zoning cases. The respondent deposited the $50, 000 in an escrow account at the Cambridge Trust Company. The respondent converted the $50,000 for his own business expenses, with the intention of depriving Koerner of the funds and with deprivation resulting.

On or about February of 2000, the respondent was elected Treasurer of the East Cambridge Land Trust (“ECLT”), a Massachusetts non-profit corporation. The respondent, both prior and subsequent to February, 2000, also provided pro-bono legal services to ECLT. During the period in question, ECLT maintained bank accounts at the East Cambridge Savings Bank. Beginning in 2001, the respondent intentionally converted ECLT funds totaling approximately $152,000 to his own use with the intention of depriving the ECLT of the funds, and with deprivation resulting.

By his conduct, as described above, the respondent violated Mass. R. Prof. C., 1.2, 1.15, and 8.4 (c) and (h).

The respondent executed a Consent to Disbarment and Statement of Disciplinary Charges. On September 4, 2003, the Board of Bar Overseers filed the consent and statement with the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County. On September 18, 2003, the county court (Spina, J.) entered a judgment of disbarment effective October 18, 2003.

1 The complete Order of the Court is available by contacting the Clerk of the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County.

2 Compiled by the Board of Bar Overseers based on the record before the Court.

Excellent posts. From a taxpayers perspective what is the main difference between the two? Well, one is a volunteer that is in charge of money for high school field trips, something worth watching to be sure. However, the other is a paid administrator that is paid with our tax dollars.
MFD, as such a vocal opponent of the mis-use of local tax dollars I am shocked you weren't aware of this. Are you also unaware that the Chairman of the Mystic Valley school hires multiple relatives to administrative positions at that school...all on our dime?

Lets see of MFD blogs about the Charter School shenanigans...from Kinnon's nepotism and illegal use of tax payer dollars, to the State crackdown on the school, to the convict he has employed, to the campaign violation laws now being broken. I'm guessing "no" because it does not serve his anti-Dolan, anti Melrose Public School Agenda. MFD is just a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a wolf in Humpty Dumpty's clothing as the case may be...

Credibility on the line
I'm guessing "no" because it does not serve his anti-Dolan, anti Melrose Public School Agenda.

You just lost your credibility with that anti-Dolan, anti-Melrose Public School nonsense. What on earth does either of those have to do with Kinnon using a MV office as his campaign headquarters?

$hitstorm at MHS PTO meeting last night. Felon is now PTO Prez and on Site Council. Says a lot about the community that even with two credible and well-respected alternatives, the cabal has won. The community and the school has lost hugely, however. What a disgrace.

This is unbelievable (sadly it is actually too believable).

Those who rabidly defend EoC make it seem like he's the victim instead of the pariah role he earned with his felonious acts and lack of remorse.

What this says about MHS, about the parents who "voted", about the lack of legitimate process, is all a big black mark. No one can claim there were no alternatives (principal's claim about site council). This was a choice. And what a choice!

Why would anyone in their right mind choose to send their children to MHS if they had any alternatives is beyond comprehension. (This is your cue, Maureen/akaVuVu...because you are just waiting in the wings to froth about this, along with your best buddies CC, KT, MD...the parents avoiding MCAS for their loser kids, the ludicrous notion of parents eager to find fault because of their supposed regret paying tuition at a private or parochial school--all the other specious, illiterate, and irrational ravings that are a certainty with that class of posters.) So it will be said again, if a parent has any alternative to MHS, or the district, for that matter, there is a plethora of substantial and valid reasons for making that choice, more so than ever before.

Well, this will give new interest to fund drives and Treasurer's reports.

Maybe a PTO field trip can be arranged to the cushy Vineyard corrections facility as a deterrent (incentive?) to white collar crime.

Disbelief you are a fool. Do you really factor the PTO election into the school choice for your child? Or is this just an opportunity to raise your vile head and spew venom at Melrose? What a complete loser you are. Like most, I have no idea who voted for the PTO president and I have no idea what the election process was. Frankly, I don't care either. This has absolutely no impact on my school choice and for you to jump on this as an issue for not sending your kids to Melrose highlights the completely fraudulent fool that you are.

Voting No

How can the SC and City officials expect ANYONE to authorize an Override. Not one more cent for the schools. The MHS PTO election process reinforces why many people don't trust "personnel" decisions or the hidden budgetary process. VOTE NO!

Interesting to note that no one wanted the position and Ed was asked to step up and only after he did that the other candidate, Liz Fousler at the eleventh hour put her name in the ring. Her action required a vote last night to suspend the bylaws for her name to be voted on. Ms Fowler neither sent someone to speak on her behalf or issued a written statement and was not in attendance as she was traveling. Interesting also to note that no one objects that Ed is on the site counsel, volunteering with Grad Night, working with Melrose Soccer and helping to introduce our students to civics in the middle school. Ed is making every effort to help our students and try to redeem himself for his past admittedly very bad actions. It would be nice if some of the trashers and bashers on this board and those who voted against him last night would show up and contribute in a positive way to our schools.

No other parent wanted the PTO position? If the parents of the students attending MHS don't have the time or interest in helping lead the PTO, they should not expect other Melrose residents to pay additional taxes. The school budget lacks transparency and accountability and "will never be enough". Sad but true. Sadder and truer is the fact that few residents ever show up for public participation at BOA or SC. Meetings. The Music, Art and Drama students and parents showed up, articulated their vision and deserve support. But I will still VOTE NO on any Override because I can't afford it and because the behavior of school leaders and elected officials is so awful.

I find it interesting that the slug in the Mayor's office didn't weigh in on this. All he would have had to do was to let it be known he didn't think this was a good idea. I guess he doesn't think that actually paying back all the money that was stolen is too important. Reminds me of the incident with the prior Vet's Agent, who, in spite of the hundreds of deserving vets out there, chose to give a donated Red Sox ticket to a convicted felon (and kept another for herself). What did the Mayor say about that? He said "I have no problem with it." Did someone put a magnet on the back of his moral compass?

1 2