Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: HATE CRIMES MSC

So the word on the street from teachers in other communities with connections to folks in Melrose, is that this person will be dumped back on the high school to help them get the pension year that they need to retire. Make sure that your student does not get assigned to this teacher.

How can this be? So now the abused child (and all those who observed it who were also affected negatively) have to continue to see and even be a student of this teacher moving onto MHS, who has in effect been rewarded for her despicable conduct. This is beyond disgraceful. It's an indictment of those who made this decision and who should be held accountable. Even arrogant billionaire basketball owners are held accountable for racist comments. How this teacher could have the history that is well known by many (not just one incident, either) and still be collecting a salary, and looking to collect a pension, reflects on the worst of Melrose and what must be addressed. Even in the most backwards places, this kind of thing does not fly. It cannot be allowed to continue here! Go back to the plantation, indeed! Where are all the investigative reporters????

Is it possible that you, metco and disgraceful, do not know all of the facts behind this case and you're getting your information from rumors on the street?

Just asking.

No, it is not at all possible that my facts are not correct because there are loose lips at City Hall who shared over a tall one I am sure. Reminiscent of the famous math teacher.

Now there's some quality information! It just doesn't get any better than this.

DIsgraceful
No, it is not at all possible that my facts are not correct because there are loose lips at City Hall who shared over a tall one I am sure. Reminiscent of the famous math teacher.

Actually had heard the same info, and originating from 2nd fl @ City Hall. Same jerry-rigged solution as for the last head of the melrose teacher's union. Seems that the union stewards/leaders in this system give a bad rap to the entire MTA because here in this disgusting burb only those with behavior/bullying issues seem to "rise" to the level of union "leadership" instead of being bounced right out as they would be in places where there are real standards of conduct. Meanwhile decent teachers are not getting the representation or benefits their dues entitle them to, while these sorry excuses get long nice paid vacations instead of the disciplinary measures they've earned with bad acts, known in decent systems as "cause"!

Actually
DIsgraceful

Actually had heard the same info, and originating from 2nd fl @ City Hall. Same jerry-rigged solution as for the last head of the melrose teacher's union. Seems that the union stewards/leaders in this system give a bad rap to the entire MTA because here in this disgusting burb only those with behavior/bullying issues seem to "rise" to the level of union "leadership" instead of being bounced right out as they would be in places where there are real standards of conduct. Meanwhile decent teachers are not getting the representation or benefits their dues entitle them to, while these sorry excuses get long nice paid vacations instead of the disciplinary measures they've earned with bad acts, known in decent systems as "cause"!

Amazing! Two anonymous names with the exact same anonymous story, talking to an anonymous 'Deep Throat' character on the 2nd floor hallway of the City Hall. Too bad we don't have a parking garage at City Hall and some potted plants on a balcony.

What a freak show.
[:-|]

No Throat at City Hall, just very loose lips and an ego the size of Texas, along with associates who have as egos just as bloated, along with deficient discretion or a decent value system.

This is better than Watergate except that the lives of teens are at stake. Does anybody care about that? No, sounds as though preserving the pension is more important. GROSS and we cannot pay for summer school for the vulnerable students at MHS. Where is the outrage?? If this person had any sense of right or wrong, they would graciously leave the district so that there will be money left for critical services for the one's that matter, the KIDS! How do you want to be remembered? What is your legacy? The Clippers did the right thing.

It seems to be that these anonymous source maybe deep throating their bosses to stay on the job.[:)s]

Bob Woodward
.... except that the lives of teens are at stake.

See now, that's where you go wrong Bob. You guys ALWAYS over reach. "the lives of teens are at stake".

Give me a brake.

Think about it, lives are at stake. There is no tolerance for kids who struggle academically. If these kids are bullied, there is the potential that will not make it through.

I have first hand experience with both and they damaged my children's self esteem and sadly exposed my children to racism.

"Give me a brake" is just plain funny, so won't correct it!

Where is Doreen Ward in all of this? She is a strong, smart woman. Maybe if she comes forward with her years of hearing horror stories she can vouch that others have suffered persecution in Melrose. I hope she kept a log. That would be Great! If not, maybe she should start. Or others, black or white, and any other race or religion should come forward now. It's never too late to speak out. NB has got to go. I hope JKS runs for the position. After Betraymore F'd her over for being honest and retaliated bytransferring her, it would serve the B1+ch, CT, right.

How does it feel NB. TAG you're it. Tried to get me suspended for having body spray in my back pack. Why didn't you bring the caucasian to Mr. Stanton? I didn't give him it to spray. I wasn't even in the classroom when he took it and sprayed it yet I was the only one brought to the principals, had my mom callled in from work. I didn't want the other kid in trouble. It was just so over the top obvious you excuse whites for jokingly spraying the Tag and blame the black kid. Guess what Ms. Ignorant, I am American. Born in the USA. Raised and schooled Melrose. We can not choose the color of our skin anymore than we can choose our eye color, sex or height. You chose to target me. You chose to judge me based on my skin color. You CHOSE to be a bigot.

I remember that. Man that was cold. The truth will set u free and now u can let go. She either does know the pain you've carried or doesn't care. I think the latter knowing her. Everything you said was an accurate account. I was there. Like I said, let it go. That teacher of history isn't worth it I hope she's history but we all know she's been caught before with nothing done. How can we expect change. History once again repeating itself. When is Melrose gonna get it right????????????????

We get it loud and clear, I complained about her racist comments a couple of years ago because my children were horrified by the bigot at the head of the classroom. They fired the guidance counselor who absolutely acknowledged the "problem".

Fellow teachers. Not only has she hurt our reputations as teachers who do care about our students; she is unfit to hold the title of MEA President. We need to impeach her and stand up for our students.

Teacher
Fellow teachers. Not only has she hurt our reputations as teachers who do care about our students; she is unfit to hold the title of MEA President. We need to impeach her and stand up for our students.

Is it true that this "teacher" is running unopposed in this Tuesday's union election?

Looks like Myron's got the parade of fake teachers up and running. Same tactic he uses on all his "Fails". This one will be no different.

I am not a big fan of Myron, but neither am I of anyone who automatically believes that anyone with a different opinion than theirs has "fake" people that agree with him/her.

Here we go...
Looks like Myron's got the parade of fake teachers up and running. Same tactic he uses on all his "Fails". This one will be no different.

So you think a bigot should be the head of the Melrose Teachers Union?

Not sure when the teacher'a election is. That person may have it confused with Tuesdays para, or, pt vote. Lots of talk about change but will one teacher step up to the plate and run. There is around a $7000 yearly stipend for teacher president. I'd vote for JKS. She speaks her mind and after the superintendent deliberately transferred without cause I think she'd be a trust-worthy rep for the teachers. If you ever want something out of Taymore, ask the opposite. She is a control freak and no one will ever tell her what to do. At least that is how she sizes every suggestion, query, request... She doesn't give a hoot about our children or teachers or all the other spokes that tun our wheel. And she's no wise old owl but she's as pig-headed as oak.

Truth. Melrose SC, mayor and super can't see nor handle the truth even when wrong doings with witness testimony is happening right in front of their faces. Has Melrose school system become infamous for intolerance for persons with disabilities, sexual orientation, race, religion, hell no. People of honor who come forward are harassed and retaliated against. The local news covers it up. There is no follow through or accountability. Eventually the super will move on collecting big money while she leaves Melrosians left to clean up her mess. Is that clear to most of the hardworking citizens who work and live here? CRYSTAL. I wish others could see our dismal future under this regime before it's too late. We love Melrose. Save our city. Let's take out all the trash and clean up our town and schools in a non-violent way. Power to the people 👳👮👷💂👶👵👨👧👱👩👨 sorry, there are no black icons.

Boy that is shocking Nicholson.

Please provide us with the name of the person who were "retaliated" against and please tell us who the local news representative(s) were who "covered up" this crime. This is outrageous and we need the details you have so we can follow through on this.

It's clearly spelled out above but again because Roosey teacher spoke up against the Roosey principal, Taymore transferred Joanne Kimball Sherman to the Hoover. Our locol papers hardly ever cover anything controversial. That last and only blurb never did a follow up and insinuated the student shares blame for the racial slurs.

So no reprimand on MVMMS history teacher, MEA pres and known racial profiler and bigot, NB? Come on good citizens of Melrose. Where in the hell are you? Please swamp the super, mayor, sc, press with the message we're mad as hell and we are not gonna tolerate it any more. Call, write, email...something. We love Melrose and want it back. Go home Betaymore. You've done more irreparable damage in two yrs than Casey and Zamutto did in five. And take that worthless excuse of a business mgr, Picone too. We got the old Hazel Witch and her brew and Baby Huey. We need someone out of diapers.

No. Instead I will do something very meaningful to show how serious this is and how much I truly care about this issue. I am going to post an anonymous message on this board and say that I am really mad. See, there I just did it. I made a difference in Melrose. Wohoo! Yay me!

Get a clue. You could care less about Melrose, its students or residents. You're like Bad Santa or Bad Teacher.

Speaking of bad teacher, how is it the teacher, NAOMI, begging investigated by the school committee with a IX violation for making alleged racial remarks to the MVMMS student was in the Roosevelt school this past week? How can she be out on medical leave and come in school to conduct union business? The SC CT and the mayor need to question that. So stressed but ok to conduct business. How any more licks do the students have to endure before Taymore gets off her boney a$$ and get to the center of this outrageous debacle? Stop covering for your friend and DO THE RIGHT THING FOR ONCE.

Speaking of bad teacher, how is it the teacher, NAOMI, being investigated by the school committee for a IX violation for making alleged racial remarks to the MVMMS student was in the Roosevelt school this past week? How can she be out on medical leave and come in school to conduct union business? The SC, CT and the mayor need to question that. So stressed but well enough to conduct business. How any more licks do the students have to endure before Taymore gets off her boney a$$ and gets to the center of this outrageous debacle? Stop covering for your friend and DO THE RIGHT THING FOR ONCE.

Hey Bad Teacher,

Lucky for Baline this is America, your innocent till proven guilty.

You better be careful before B’nai B’rith comes after you.

test

Pattie: Any idea if the City is self insured? or do they carry a liability policy?

Liability carried by Everett's LaRove insurance company

Another Everett connection ? Peter Dolan must be so proud !

Re.Powers-

Can everyone be kind on this board, at least for this week? This includes our favorite daily poster who loves to refer to everything going on in Melrose as a disgrace, as well as the originator of this string, which was uncalled for.

Bad teachers
Speaking of bad teacher, how is it the teacher, NAOMI, being investigated by the school committee for a IX violation for making alleged racial remarks to the MVMMS student was in the Roosevelt school this past week? How can she be out on medical leave and come in school to conduct union business? The SC, CT and the mayor need to question that. So stressed but well enough to conduct business. How any more licks do the students have to endure before Taymore gets off her boney a$$ and gets to the center of this outrageous debacle? Stop covering for your friend and DO THE RIGHT THING FOR ONCE.

"Local News Supervisor removed after alleged racial comments June 05, 2014 18:16 EDT MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- A contractor has fired a Memphis cotton warehouse supervisor after two black employees accused him of saying that a microwave and a water fountain were "whites only." In a statement, Federal Compress said the Atkins Cotton Warehouse supervisor was removed from the warehouse and is no longer employed by the company after the accusations were made. Federal Compress provides workers for the warehouse. According to WMC-TV, Antonio Harris and Mario Mangrum filed racial discrimination complaints against the supervisor, who was not named by Federal Compress. Mangrum said the supervisor "used the word `monkey' a lot." Harris recorded the supervisor telling him he needs to put a "whites only" sign on the water fountain. Harris also recorded the man saying he could not use the microwave because he is not white."

So a supervisor is removed from his job, even in Memphis, while here in fake-Democratic (with 1930s confederate values) Melrose, a teacher, a teacher of history, for gawd's sake, is not only allowed to stay on the job but is rewarded with her dream job of teaching at the high school after telling a student to come back to the plantation and that he'd have done his homework if only he "hadn't been out roaming the streets [of Dorchester] all night"! The grossness of this is beyond belief! Oh yeah, and we're paying the bill for the 2-plus months of "sick leave" while the teacher comes and goes doing business in the school and elsewhere in full view, basically giving us all the finger, with that well-known bad temper and foul mouth. Anyone who actually believes the administration cares about the students or about decent values, for that matter, is beyond naive. They're just hoping that everyone will care as little as they do (which is possible, unfortunately) so that it will all just "go away." Overt racism towards and in front of whole classes of kids? Nah, no one cares, not any more than they did when that horror show of a 7th grade teacher was behaving in grossly inappropriate ways. And we taxpayers paid years of that one's salary to stay home "sick" so he could go out with his full retirement package. Cute little pattern these local disgraces of U prezzies have woven into a predictable scheme. Meanwhile in the rest of the district, Rome burns, principals dropping like flies, and Melrosians are only concerned about firing up the grill and which suntan lotion to purchase.[:|]

MHRC went into "Executive Session" according to their website minutes.....What/Why ?

Executive Session
MHRC went into "Executive Session" according to their website minutes.....What/Why ?

Clearly those running this thing don't even know the basic laws concerning running public meetings, since they cannot legally go into Executive Session without specifying why. Clear and obvious breach of the law!

http://www.cityofmelrose.org/departments/mhrc/Minutes/MHRC140408.pdf
Melrose Human Rights Commission April 8, 2014
MINUTES
Members Present: Karen Andrews, Maureen Buzby, Lizbeth DeSelm, Michelle Dickson, Arnold Fertig, Mathew Helman, Beth Horne, Adam LaFrance, Shawn MacMaster. Kristina Pechulis, Jennifer Thompson, GEM Student Liam Brown Members Absent: Ed Schmitt
Meeting called to order: 7:03 PM Public Participation: None
REGULAR BUSINESS OF THE COMMISSION Prior Meeting Minutes: March 11, 2014 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Karen Andrews reported the following:
Outstanding expenses waiting to be paid out: $312.50 Melrose Public schools for MLK Day of Service $40.52 Ed for Day of Service expenses (water pitcher, poster board, painting supplies) $20.48 Karen MLK dinner paper supplies
The print out from Brigid says we have $1098.74, but after these aforementioned expenses are paid out our new balance will be $725.24.
Hotline message report
No messages on hotline.
[ASK MAUREEN WHAT TO INCLUDE RE: CONTENT REGARDING ANTI-SEMITIC INCIDENTS IN COMMUNITY AND AT SCHOOL – REPEAT INCIDENTS AT SOMEONE’ HOME]
Website report
February meeting minutes up & full complement of new members’ bios
Social media report
People are most frequently sharing posts with photos. Event announcements getting some notice, too.
ONGOING PROJECTS / REPORTS / EVENTS UPDATES MAHRC / ECG / GEM / CCM
MA HRC: Shawn reported: Sonia Darai reported on municipality preparedness to address needs of vulnerable populations – very enlightening presentation.
English Conversation Group: Maureen reported: worthwhile to put another ad in newspaper looking for more tutors/conversationalists given high demand of participants
GEM – Global Education in Melrose: Liam reported: GEM meeting Thursday
Community Coalition of Melrose: Maureen reported: CCM meeting tomorrow morning Trivia Bee
The Melrose Human Rights Commission team, the Human Bee-ing, performed admirably, but missed one question in their round, losing out on advancing to the final round. However, the team’s photo was featured on the cover of the Melrose Weekly News.
Distribution lists
List up to almost 200 e-mails. Anybody who wants to be added or knows people who would like to be added, let Mat know.
Event assignments
Maureen raised suggestion about spreading responsibilities of Commission through having Commissioners serve as “Chairs” for specific events/duties – sub-committees were assigned:
MLK Day of Service: Ed MLK Potluck dinner/program: Shawn Black History Month – Film Series: Shawn. Ed, Adam, Ellyn Trivia Bee: Mat GEM Liaison / Celebration / Liaison to student reps: Karen Memorial Day Parade: Ed Victorian Fair: Jen MAAV Domestic Violence Candle Light Vigil & Walk: Kristina, Mat International Welcome Reception: Adam New member recruitment/interview: Beth, Arnie
Memorial Day Parade
Will finalize planning at May meeting for Memorial Day parade participation – Ed coordinating, need marchers, banner, photos for posting on social media
HRC annual award suggestion
Beth putting together criteria for award – looking at what other communities (e.g. Newburyport) have done along those lines – questions of stand-alone event vs. folding into existing event; nominations from the public; whether/how to incorporate schools; multiple awards (activist of the year, student of the year, etc.) – members who have participated in similar events will gather criteria from their events
Consider ways of connecting to Victorian Fair table – encouraging people to nominate possible awardees – handing out “ballots” at Vic Fair, getting contact info for distribution list, and posting nominations to bulletin board at Vic Fair
OTHER BUSINESS
Liam/Maureen: YikYak – phone app that allows anonymous posting; becoming a medium for malicious comments and bullying among young people, particularly among junior high- aged students
Arnold: one of the meet & greets for new middle school principal candidates scheduled for Erev Passover, this coming Monday night – superintendent’s office suggested additional meet & greet event in response; but they should consider re-scheduling altogether, as it’s not appropriate to schedule such a meeting on a holiday occasion; Beth suggested the Commission drafting a letter to lodge a complaint with the superintendent’s office – Arnold moves that we draft letter to Superintendent Taymor communicating that scheduling the event on Passover is inappropriate and that a second meet & greet is inadequate and that the entire event should be re-scheduled; seconded and passed unanimously – Adam drafting letter
Melrose HRC went into executive session at 8:04pm. Exited executive session 8:31pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:32 PM Next meeting: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

You turds. Go ahead and file another fruitless OML. The MHRC is an all volunteer group. If you think you can do better, step up and do it. Otherwise zip it or file an OML. I personally would love to see another failed OML filed in this city. Turds.

Never happen. Why? Because no one give a $hit about these leftist do-gooder dingbats.

The toxic atmosphere here is certainly something the Human Rights C should be addressing, in all its forms, as exemplified perfectly in the nasty replies just in this string alone. However as the political appointees those members are, there is no reason to expect that things will be done correctly, especially when they are sworn into office without appropriate knowledge of legal responsibilities and appointed by the most egregious violator of the principles their organization is supposed to stand for, and as such perceive themselves to owe some sort of allegiance. It's a circle of wrong, though their are well-meaning individuals caught within, caught by their own lack of knowledge and caught by a sense of loyalty that might be shaken if they understood the truth about the person and system they are supporting. They no doubt are trying to do some things right, as is the case with protesting the meet-and-greet scheduled by the superintendent on Passover. There would be serious consequences if this had been scheduled on Easter or Christmas. The time urgency of the super is understandable, but her lack of cultural sensitivity and respect is shocking, even in the context of a city administration that has a whole series of things that indicate a backwards hostile environment when it comes to cultural awareness. That being said, the public has a right to know the topic of the Exec Session, and the hate-mongerers protecting City Hall can characterize that statement as they wont to do. Good for the HRC for trying, though not good for playing loose with the rules. Not good that they wrote a letter to the administration, but the public has not heard about this. That letter should be included in the minutes, along with the reply. Neither side deserves to be operating secretly. Discretion is one thing (and with the flapping jaws of the guy on the 2nd floor, that is negated), but this is all a matter of public record and correcting egregious wrongs in public conduct.

Just be glad it wasn't scheduled for Kwanzaa. Then anyone who complained would have been told to go back to the plantation. Oh, wait......that already happened, didn't it? Melrose - one community open to all. What a sick joke THAT is!

"a teacher of history, for gawd's sake, is not only allowed to stay on the job but is rewarded with her dream job of teaching at the high school"

What is she teaching at the high school?! Thought we wouldn't have to deal with her AGAIN.

It's just a continuous stream of lies from this administration, and now they are so tangled up in them that they can't keep their lines straight. Hard to believe that this bunch makes the previous one look good, but in many ways it's actually true. They are better at making the babble sound less like verbal diarrhea and more like officious nonsense, but illiterate babble it still is. It certainly isn't about real education. It's just beyond low. And the suck-up parents keeping the house of cards propped up just can't see beyond the end of their collective noses. They really don't get it. They think that this crew is actually getting it done. The exodus is in full vortex mode again/still, staff morale (which no one thought could get worse 2 years ago) is virtually non-existent now, the educational chaos for the students is unfathomable, and the personal greed and power grabs of administrators is a freight train rolling right over everything. Instead of addressing the obvious, they're busy perpetually self-congratulating with full gush and getting tangled in their web of spin and lies. Watch Paymore have the nerve to demand a third raise because it's a guarantee she will, and the boobs "overseeing" her will be only too happy to grant it (with one notable exception), with the citizenry remains stupified in the wine cellar. It's sick and crazy.

volunteer
It's just a continuous stream of lies from this administration, and now they are so tangled up in them that they can't keep their lines straight. Hard to believe that this bunch makes the previous one look good, but in many ways it's actually true. They are better at making the babble sound less like verbal diarrhea and more like officious nonsense, but illiterate babble it still is. It certainly isn't about real education. It's just beyond low. And the suck-up parents keeping the house of cards propped up just can't see beyond the end of their collective noses. They really don't get it. They think that this crew is actually getting it done. The exodus is in full vortex mode again/still, staff morale (which no one thought could get worse 2 years ago) is virtually non-existent now, the educational chaos for the students is unfathomable, and the personal greed and power grabs of administrators is a freight train rolling right over everything. Instead of addressing the obvious, they're busy perpetually self-congratulating with full gush and getting tangled in their web of spin and lies. Watch Paymore have the nerve to demand a third raise because it's a guarantee she will, and the boobs "overseeing" her will be only too happy to grant it (with one notable exception), with the citizenry remains stupified in the wine cellar. It's sick and crazy.

I agree about the staff morale. Have you ever talked to some of these teachers about working in Melrose? Their outlook is bleak. The teachers I know just want to get out, but, they can't.
Post from another string:
"Here is what surprised me. I know all of the drama in the Melrose Public School system, but I did not know how well-known it is outside of the city. I have been part of two search committees in my district this spring. During the resume review portion of one of the searches, a candidate from Melrose Public Schools came up. On paper, this teacher seemed to have the requisite qualifications for bringing her in for an interview, but two administrators on the search committee rejected the resume. One of them said, "Melrose is a mess. There is drama from the top down, and the turnover there is ridiculous. I know this person has experience, but I don't think we need someone with that type of experience." The other administrator also expressed concern about hiring from Melrose. They both felt that someone who had been part of the "nonsense" in Melrose could not possibly be ready to "hit the ground running" with actual educational issues. How sad this was for me to hear. These poor teachers cannot even get out, because of what the system has done to its own reputation. I know that some people have left and gone on to better jobs, so please don't list the administrators who have left for greener pastures. I am just relating this story, because it is sad that the system is known to other towns in this way."
Yep, it is sad.

So what is going on with this teacher? Will she be in a classroom in the fall? and is she still the teacher's union president? How long does the "investigation" take?

high school parent
So what is going on with this teacher? Will she be in a classroom in the fall? and is she still the teacher\'s union president? How long does the \"investigation\" take?

That non-investigation was over before it started, a done deal between BFFs. Yes, still prez of union (shame on teachers!) and yes, look at the faculty roster, you will find her at MHS.

http://melroseschools.com/faculty-and-staff/staff/

hope your kid get's her.

1 2 3