Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KT out of control again

KT was back screaming at a member of the public again at the last SC meeting. He pointed out that the annual end of the year report for 2013 that our Melrose school department sends to the state DOE do not match with school numbers available to the public. He also mentioned that there was no external audit. He did not use up his 5 minutes (a rule instituted by dictator KT). KT asked the numbers guy to respond. He said there is an internal audit done (fox guarding the chicken coop) but never addressed the crux of the problem. When Mr. Mroz asked to respond, she lost it yet again. It is amazing that this behavior by her goes not only unchecked but not even mentioned anymore. Apparently, by failing to rein in KT, the mayor endorses her behavior. In fact, I think he likes her frothing at the mouth as she did again.

The fact remains that Mr. Mroz made some serious points about the school department claiming it spent money for texts to the DOE that were not in fact spent. KT refusal to allow a response suggests she and the rest of the department have a lot to hide.

What is wrong with Melrose that this type of behavior is allowed and unremarkable?

Re: KT out of control again

Wow
KT was back screaming at a member of the public again at the last SC meeting. He pointed out that the annual end of the year report for 2013 that our Melrose school department sends to the state DOE do not match with school numbers available to the public. He also mentioned that there was no external audit. He did not use up his 5 minutes (a rule instituted by dictator KT). KT asked the numbers guy to respond. He said there is an internal audit done (fox guarding the chicken coop) but never addressed the crux of the problem. When Mr. Mroz asked to respond, she lost it yet again. It is amazing that this behavior by her goes not only unchecked but not even mentioned anymore. Apparently, by failing to rein in KT, the mayor endorses her behavior. In fact, I think he likes her frothing at the mouth as she did again.

The fact remains that Mr. Mroz made some serious points about the school department claiming it spent money for texts to the DOE that were not in fact spent. KT refusal to allow a response suggests she and the rest of the department have a lot to hide.

What is wrong with Melrose that this type of behavior is allowed and unremarkable?

Yes, saw that, too, all points valid.

No fathoming the level of willful ignorance, arrogance, incompetence, or the acceptance (tacet or otherwise) of this disgraceful conduct and operational mismanagement by the community.

I also saw her outbursts on a repeat of the meeting last evening on Channel 22! Let's not forget that she said recently, after being criticized by the public for responding to public comments After the public comment session had ended, that she would not do this again. And what did she do as soon as the public session ended? She asked the school business manager to comment and then she added her own comments and would not allow Gerry Mroz to respond by shouting him down!

Ms. Thorp's demeanor and her hypocrisy should not be accepted by the residents of this city and she should be censured for her verbal outbursts and not adhering to meeting procedure.

Sound like the waaambulance should be called. Everyone out here decries the lack of dialogue between the SC and the public; however, when you get it you whine about not getting your way. There is a tried and true method of removing someone from office, it is called voting them out. Unfortunately for you, KT has a lot of supporters.

Wambulance
Sound like the waaambulance should be called. Everyone out here decries the lack of dialogue between the SC and the public; however, when you get it you whine about not getting your way. There is a tried and true method of removing someone from office, it is called voting them out. Unfortunately for you, KT has a lot of supporters.
What's your definition of dialogue? It can't be the same as Webster's.

Thorp once again declared that no discussion or responses would be "ALLOWED" at the SC meeting last night. She told Taymore that she could not answer and kept telling her what to say. Taymore is too old and tired to continue. Kept losing her place on the agenda. Declared that "she didn't know what day it was". KT is too rude and unprofessional to continue. The schools are a mess. Swaping teachers around, turnover in principals, many teacher retirements and maternity hires. Sp Ed Head citing the increasing "social and emotional" needs of secondary students and predicting that the special education numbers will increase. Poor kids are being bombarded with testing, no recess (working on "task" during snack time) and attending school in climates where staff morale is terrible. The mental and physical health costs of staff and teachers will soar. The joy of learning and teaching has been sucked out of our schools and the consequences are devastating for our children. Little self-reflection, accountability, honesty, courage or conflict resolution skills being modeled in our city.

To SC CHAIR Poster:

I find your post completely at odds with the experiences my 3 kids are currently having in the High School, Middle School and elementary school. They are enjoying school, like their teachers and are doing well. We met the teachers at the various conferences and nights at the middle and high school and it's more of the same experience we have had for 10+ years now. For the most part the teachers are good. In the high school and middle school there are a few we were not crazy about, but overall we are very happy with the education our children are receiving.

Well, MHS Parent above, I guess as long as your kids are great and you are happy with the schools, then the rest of the kids and parents who are suffering or who have had a different experience should all just stop trying to make thing better for ALL.

Have you not figured out that the world is not only about you? Do you not have the decency to understand that things that don't happen to you can happen to others and maybe you should care about the experience of others? Wow, lift your head out of the sand. Be a community member, look around and think about someone other than yourself and your kids.

Done
Well, MHS Parent above, I guess as long as your kids are great and you are happy with the schools, then the rest of the kids and parents who are suffering or who have had a different experience should all just stop trying to make thing better for ALL.

Have you not figured out that the world is not only about you? Do you not have the decency to understand that things that don't happen to you can happen to others and maybe you should care about the experience of others? Wow, lift your head out of the sand. Be a community member, look around and think about someone other than yourself and your kids.

Don't think that MPS was dissing anyone's opinions. Just stating her experience. And, to make another point. There are lots of opinions flying all over these boards. Maybe the posters are community members, and maybe these posters think about someone other then themselves, maybe they care about the experience of others, and maybe, even, they do not have their heads in the sand. But I can say with all truthfulness, that the VAST MAJORITY of these posters do nothing but complain.If complaining can make things better, then more power to them!!

Hey Chicken Little, Don't cry "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and then when disagreed with by someone with a differing opinion resort to "Have you not figured out the world is not only about you" without running to the bathroom, looking in the mirror, and then opening the medicine cabinet and doubling down on the meds. Are you serious?

Let me clue you in on a legitimate, undisputable fact...the majority of the community members out in the public eye, volunteering at the schools, running for office, donating their time to local organizations and thinking about the needs of other children and families, with children in the public schools...and there are thousands of them...are happy with the education their kids are getting or received in Melrose.

You are the minority opinion in Melrose. Your crowd can't win an election, or get anything done, because nobody agrees with you.

Community Member
Hey Chicken Little, Don't cry "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and then when disagreed with by someone with a differing opinion resort to "Have you not figured out the world is not only about you" without running to the bathroom, looking in the mirror, and then opening the medicine cabinet and doubling down on the meds. Are you serious?

Let me clue you in on a legitimate, undisputable fact...the majority of the community members out in the public eye, volunteering at the schools, running for office, donating their time to local organizations and thinking about the needs of other children and families, with children in the public schools...and there are thousands of them...are happy with the education their kids are getting or received in Melrose.

You are the minority opinion in Melrose. Your crowd can't win an election, or get anything done, because nobody agrees with you.

Community Member- you are 1000000% correct. Well put!!!!

Been off the grid for about 4 months but had to come on here and say that the post by Community Member is 100% accurate. Nice post!

BY COMMUNITY MEMBER "Let me clue you in on a legitimate, undisputable fact...the majority of the community members out in the public eye, volunteering at the schools, running for office, donating their time to local organizations and thinking about the needs of other children and families, with children in the public schools...and there are thousands of them...are happy with the education their kids are getting or received in Melrose".

I ? Your facts, COMMUNITY MEMBER....Roosevelt has another new Principal coming and forced teacher changes..the parents who spoke last night at the SC meeting did not seem happy or satisfied. Horace Mann will also have another new Principal when the current one announces she is not returning upon the completion of her maternity leave....an interim will be hired since it is late in the administration job cycle..HM was finally regaining stability after the 2 year tenure of the last fiasco..so, I doubt this will make HM families happy or satisfied....An interim was announced for Lincoln last night by Taymore... So Lincoln families will also have a temporary leader and then start a search committee for a permanent replacement. Lincoln will have 7 new teachers in the fall....3 short term maternity hires and replacements for the 3 teachers who are retiring and an additional 4th grade teacher.... All these changes will be stressful on the kids and staff.... Look at all the "leadership adjustments" that have impacted the secondary schools over the past few years.....and The SP ED Director has stated publicly at more than one recent SC session that the costs because of rising numbers of children with "emotional and social" difficulties will increase significantly..... I doubt that families will be happy regarding this situation. So, Community Member...if you and "the thousands of others" are happy with the education your children have received fine. BUT there are others who differ with your "legitimate and undisputable facts" and think the teachers and children of Melrose deserve better.

Welcome back...Tafka Vuvu...nice to see that the Mayor has allowed you back on the message board! Anything new at city hall you want us to know about?

MFD
Welcome back...Tafka Vuvu...nice to see that the Mayor has allowed you back on the message board! Anything new at city hall you want us to know about?

Here we go again- anyone who dissents with some opinions of this board must work for the mayor. Please. Give me a break.

"WTK" don't get offended. In fact, I should thank MFD for the reply. Anytime you expose these Melrose haters for what they are they will claim that you work for the city or try to identify who you are. I consider it positive feedback that my point was well made!

tafka VuVu
"WTK" don't get offended. In fact, I should thank MFD for the reply. Anytime you expose these Melrose haters for what they are they will claim that you work for the city or try to identify who you are. I consider it positive feedback that my point was well made!

I now you are right- it just gets old- but then again, the rantings by a lot of the posters get old, too!!!

WTK, in case you don't know, the phrase "Melrose haters" came straight from the Mayor's own mouth, and was and is used ever time someone wants to denigrate a poster who has anything critical to say about either the City or the Mayor. They simply cannot understand that someone who is critical or points out errors or flaws is actually interested in making the City a better place, and is not a "hater" at all. They can't tolerate any criticism at all, and that is their almost automatic response - "You disagree with me? You're a Melrose hater." All it really does, though, is illuminate the shallowness of their thinking.

It is also true, whether you care to believe it or not, that the Mayor ordered access to Melrose Messages blocked on every City computer, with the exception of his own, his administrative assistant's, and his mouthpiece's, who monitor this board very closely, and then, using random screen names, post their vitriolic foolishness. How do I know this? I used to be a City employee, and mine was one of the computers that had it's access blocked. I actually don't disagree with doing that, since City computers shouldn't be used for "private" purposes, but believe it when I tell you that Melrose Messages is monitored very closely at City Hall.

Point of information - tafka VuVu. Let's translate that. Tafka is an acronym for "the artist formerly known as" (a Prince fan, no doubt), and VuVu is short for vuvuzela, which is a long plastic horn that makes a singularly obnoxious and annoying sound, and is most commonly used at soccer matches, drowning out all possible conversation. There has been speculation that tafka VuVu is actually the spouse of a current or former SC member, but that's never been shown to be true. What is true is that tafka VuVu is the SC's number one shill.

Make of it what you will.

Wake Up
WTK, in case you don't know, the phrase "Melrose haters" came straight from the Mayor's own mouth, and was and is used ever time someone wants to denigrate a poster who has anything critical to say about either the City or the Mayor. They simply cannot understand that someone who is critical or points out errors or flaws is actually interested in making the City a better place, and is not a "hater" at all. They can't tolerate any criticism at all, and that is their almost automatic response - "You disagree with me? You're a Melrose hater." All it really does, though, is illuminate the shallowness of their thinking.

to Wake Up- I never used the words "Melrose Hater" in any of my posts. I do not like the phrase, whether it is used by people who are happy or unhappy with Melrose. But I still think that the people who are not happy with the city (or at least a lot of posters on these boards who are unhappy with the city),tend to post on these boards. And the posters have made statements that there are a lot of them- but for some reason, most of them do not show up at meetings to voice their dissent.

Wants To Know
...............but for some reason, most of them do not show up at meetings to voice their dissent.

Have you ever seen the mistreatment dissenters are subjected to whenever they do show up to make their points? They're either sworn at by the Superintendant, or insulted and shut down by the SC chair. Dissent is absolutely not tolerated, and it starts at the very top. That's who sets the tone. Would you show up knowing that at best you will be ignored and silenced, and at worst insulted and sworn at?

Wake Up
Wants To Know
...............but for some reason, most of them do not show up at meetings to voice their dissent.

Have you ever seen the mistreatment dissenters are subjected to whenever they do show up to make their points? They're either sworn at by the Superintendant, or insulted and shut down by the SC chair. Dissent is absolutely not tolerated, and it starts at the very top. That's who sets the tone. Would you show up knowing that at best you will be ignored and silenced, and at worst insulted and sworn at?

If, in fact, the contingent of unhappy people is as large as the posters on these boards have stated over and over again, then yes, I would show up at the meeting with ALL of them. And I would show up at every single meeting to make a po8int. I would also have recommendations for improvements and would find and support candidates to run against anyone who I feel strongly is bad for the city, committee or whatever. None of this happens. This board has really just become a place for some- for whatever reason- to spout what they don't like, and oftentimes, to throw out information that is just not true.

Wants To Know
........and oftentimes, to throw out information that is just not true.

I suppose it's probable that some is not, but - and you can believe me or not - a good portion of what's posted here is true. Perhaps you'd be better served by actually listening to what they say rather than trying to guess what their motivation might be.

To "WtK":

You certainly seem to enjoy painting with a large brush, taking broad swipes, and making grandiose statements.

Even when there is a "large" contingent, it's doubtful you would take the risk and show up. Your remarks are heavily laden with hypocrisy and wrong information.

Some who post here have certainly stood behind candidates who have taken the risk to support candidates with dissenting views, and some of those candidates have won (repeatedly), contrary to your broad insinuations.

Beyond that, your "measurement" of the size of the population with alternate views is anything but accurate. Your marginalizing statements are just more of the same from a contingent that routinely chooses these kind of minimizing tactics instead of acknowledging the importance of all views, whether they are viewed as coming from "haters" or from "shills." This is the Melrose as it is now, divided, toxic, and anything but the Welcome Wagon that the realtors and politicians fiercely advertise in word and deed. And yes, the accountability for this toxic atmosphere goes straight to the top, where this kind of intolerance emanates, though the entire community bears ultimate responsibility as well.

Alright already, we get it; KT is a hissy-fit d-bag. A lot of posters here say that Robbie is, too (though I've never seen any of the truly bad histrionics he's been accused of). And I KNOW Infurna, Margolis and Mortimer are d-bags. So, given the track record of emotional instability on the public stage so prevalent in the city, why does this come as a surprise to so many?

What's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I respect Mr. Mroz's doggedness, but the city, when give a chance to empower him, rejected him.

For the record, what would showing up at a SC meeting do for my student? I don't think the lack of parents at committee meetings should be taken as a tacit endorsement of the school system. I have multiple kids in multiple activities, and more than half the parents I end up speaking with at games and events are not happy with MHS. I just had a parent tell me that her student's experience in math class at the high school has been so bad this year, she doesn't think he learned anything and is very worried he won't be able to advance to the next level without extensive private tutoring. The teacher has a well deserved reputation of not covering the curriculum. So what can parents do? Where is the principal? Where is the curriculum director? Where is the department chair?

The students don't want their parents going in to the principal or department chair to complain about the teacher, because they fear the teacher will then target them and "take it out on them". Even when parents do bring concerns about teachers to administrators, nothing happens, so why bother?

It's great that the above poster has had a "great" experience at MHS. Plenty of kids attend MHS, have a lot of fun, do OK, and then get into state schools and third tier privates with no problem. Everyone has different goals and standards. But I have been fairly active socially in Melrose for many years, and have met a lot of different people, and the overall reputation of the high school has been consistently poor for the last decade. There is no indication that this is going to change. All individual parents can do is try to guide their students through the best way they can. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen Melrose, had I known how bad the high school was.

I don't usually post on this board, but I do take exception to the folks who declare that lack of SC attendance, or political involvement, is any indicator of parent satisfaction with the high school. It's not.

"..." had a lot of questions in his/her post. I will answer the first one. The answer is...a lot more than posting on here will do.
Good day.

tafka VuVu
"..." had a lot of questions in his/her post. I will answer the first one. The answer is...a lot more than posting on here will do.
Good day.

You are half right....both are exercises in futility. And I shouldn't allow myself to be baited into these conversations.

Good day to you, also.

... and the blah, blah, blah that comes after is missing 2 critical points with yet another lame attempt to smear the education offered at MHS...this time based on college choices. First, plainly and simply, many kids from MHS go to State schools because their parents can't afford a 4 year private college education...often lost by those attempting to compare Melrose to Winchester or any other higher income community. Additionally, there are more kids going to top colleges than the public school haters here would have you believe. Equal to if not better than MC, AP, AC etc., etc..
The second swing and miss, and the most common with the haters is they don't get that College destiny is up to the parents and the child first and foremost. For top tier schools its pretty simple. If your child is not in all honors/AP classes, does not have a GPA of B+ or better, isn't in the top 25% of the class by student rank, and isn't in the 1700+ range on the SAT's the kid has no shot at a top tier college. The kids that meet these profiles at MHS are getting into great schools...but many chose State Schools or lesser schools because of financial reasons. Personal responsibility goes along way. Melrose High has some great students and families that stress education and personal responsibility. It also has a large amount of parents and kids who are lazy and would rather blame someone else than hold themselves and their kids personally responsible. ... sounds right up that alley

Parents need to look in the mirror
... and the blah, blah, blah that comes after is missing 2 critical points with yet another lame attempt to smear the education offered at MHS...this time based on college choices. First, plainly and simply, many kids from MHS go to State schools because their parents can't afford a 4 year private college education...often lost by those attempting to compare Melrose to Winchester or any other higher income community. Additionally, there are more kids going to top colleges than the public school haters here would have you believe. Equal to if not better than MC, AP, AC etc., etc..
The second swing and miss, and the most common with the haters is they don't get that College destiny is up to the parents and the child first and foremost. For top tier schools its pretty simple. If your child is not in all honors/AP classes, does not have a GPA of B+ or better, isn't in the top 25% of the class by student rank, and isn't in the 1700+ range on the SAT's the kid has no shot at a top tier college. The kids that meet these profiles at MHS are getting into great schools...but many chose State Schools or lesser schools because of financial reasons. Personal responsibility goes along way. Melrose High has some great students and families that stress education and personal responsibility. It also has a large amount of parents and kids who are lazy and would rather blame someone else than hold themselves and their kids personally responsible. ... sounds right up that alley

There are many "great students and families that stress education and personal responsibility" who are not happy with MHS and the administrators. To make this into an issue based on income and perceived effort is outrageous and patently wrong. Your ilk wants to paint all the "Haters/complainers" as lacking personal responsibility but the truth is that despite the best efforts of parents and kids, it is very hard to get a top notch education out of MHS. Look at the AP debacle (extremely low scores compared to all surrounding communities, even Saugus), SAT and SAT II results (also awful). These are definitely kids and families who are motivated and driven. Every effort to address issues at MHS by parents is seen by the cabal as whining. Their comments are dismissed by saying "you are the only person who says this" despite numerous comments by different parents. Step 2 is to say "I'll look in to it" and they never do and nothing happens. MF never returns a phone call. She avoids all responsibility and her answer to everything is "change takes time." How many times and how many parents have tried to address Aspen accountability. Tons. Minimal to no changes in behavior by teachers, yet they got a huge raise.

Complaints about ineffective or incompetent teachers? Same thing. You are the only complainer, must be your kid, union rules, change takes time, blah, blah. The teacher is told who is the "complainer" or knows because of the "you have to go to the teacher first for every single thing and big things as well." All of a sudden, your kid is being singled out, or not getting the same treatment. Yet, there are a handful of kids who are given VERY special treatment, trotted out every time there is an event for the public, who are willing to talk about what a great place MHS is (because it is for the special chosen ones). Retaliation for those kids and parents who are just trying to get along and special treatment for those "head bobbing yes everything is great here folks".

Take a look at that poor kid's recent post about NHS on this board. The student, who is obviously a senior, talks about being "afraid." Even now, days before graduation. Many parents tried to intervene about the issue, yet no one listens. Most parents won't even try because their kids tell them not to rock the boat because the kids will be targeted. Sound familiar? Bully awareness. Those parents who do try are treated the way the people on this board treat every reasonable attempt to get change: as "haters." The reason this Board is active and people pay attention is because the administration and city does not. People do not want to be on this Board but after going through regular channels, playing by the rules and being, at best ignored, and at worst, targeted, this is the only alternative left.

In fact, the people who are happy at MHS are those who get special treatment or who are uninterested in their child's education. If you and your child are interested and personally motivated, then you are probably what the mayor and his team of bullies call a "hater."

Thank you "missing the point" for a very true statement! All of it!

We've always been supportive public school parents who tried to raise our kids not only to be respectful but to be good citizens. It doesn't matter how good or reasonable you are with this bunch. You can have an entirely legitimate issue that you approach in all the right ways. This is a bunch that treats anyone with an issue, no matter how respectfully it's approached, with a range going from total disrespectful, dismissive neglect to outright and utter contempt. It's shocking how pervasive the problem is. In administration now there is literally almost no one that can be trusted to follow through and treat each situation with any degree of seriousness. Mostly they can be relied upon to behave very poorly. Same with the school committee except one. It's a huge rubber stamp mostly, and you only have to watch a few minutes of most meetings to see how contemptuously they treat anyone who isn't "head-bobbing" and nodding to their every word and sucking up. Golden Rule simply isn't relevant with this administration. They feel they can do anything, even swear at you, with zero consequences. They're probably right to feel that way, since there truly are zero consequences for bad behavior by them, except when it all overflows and implodes and then everyone is ducking or cover looking for scapegoats, which is now starting to happen because there are far too many situations out of control. Too many are still giving the super a free pass because she's snowed them into thinking she's great and the problems all preceded her. No, don't think so. Not 2 years in, with more massive exodus quite obviously happening, worse scores than ever, worse morale than ever, pileup of poorly managed really bad situations. This is worse than with her predecessor, which is really quite an appalling thing even to think!

Do you have any idea how to formulate a paragraph?

Excuse me but...
Do you have any idea how to formulate a paragraph?

Excuse me, but Do you have to be an a$$hole?