Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laughable ReMax: "reputable school system"

http://www.remax-newengland.com/2011/05/16/insiders-look-melrose-ma/
"4. How are the school systems in the area?

Melrose has a reputable school system. The Melrose School District runs several schools including, five elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. There is also a private elementary school that is run by one of the city’s Catholic churches. Many students in the district graduate with top honors and go on to attend top universities across the country. The school district has also been recognized with awards in the past decade, including the 2007 Massachusetts Technology Collaborative’s Green School Award for its use of solar energy and the 2008 New England League of Middle Schools’ Spotlight School Award."[:))]

Re: Laughable ReMax: "reputable school system"

Linda O at her euphemistic finest! "Reputable" indeed!

LOL, "reputable". That's an ambiguous term for a luke-warm endorsement of our school system!

What a pile of pure unadulterated bull$hit. This woman obviously has absolutely zero personal integrity.

YGTBSM
What a pile of pure unadulterated bull$hit. This woman obviously has absolutely zero personal integrity.

YGTBSM, which of the statements below are lies?

The Melrose School District runs several schools including, five elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school.

There is also a private elementary school that is run by one of the city’s Catholic churches.

Many students in the district graduate with top honors and go on to attend top universities across the country.

The school district has also been recognized with awards in the past decade, including the 2007 Massachusetts Technology Collaborative’s Green School Award for its use of solar energy and the 2008 New England League of Middle Schools’ Spotlight School Award."

As most of you know, I'm a critic of some of things going on in our school system today but everything that was written, I agree is accurate. Also Linda could have included many other awards and accomplishments by students in the district! Melrose does have a good school system - is it the best it can be, no. There are academic improvements needed as well as structural improvements but in my opinion, it is dishonest to say that the school system is an abject failure - credit needs to be given for many of the positive accomplishments of both educators and students in our district.

Are you joking?

"Melrose has a reputable school system."

Merriam-Webster defines "reputable" as "having a good reputation; trustworthy, or respectable". Are you really going to try to tell me that's not an outright lie? Why, then, considering the recent raise given to the teachers, can we still not attract quality teachers? Why then, the revolving door of principals? No quality educator wants to work here, and it's not just about the money.

Hey, if you want to buy into this nonsense, be my guest.

Sorry, Myron, but I have to agree with YGTBSM. At best it's ****ing with faint praise, and the use of the word "reputable" is deceptive at best. Linda's only concern is to sell - telling the truth about the schools doesn't mesh well with that. Saying "Melrose has a good school system." is to ignore empirical date to the contrary.

I will begin by saying that I like this city- I like living here, and I like my neighbors. Still, I feel fortunate that I do not have to send my children to school here- I have other options, and I make use of them. I know many of the teachers in town, and like them on a personal level, but this school system has turned them into some of the most beaten-down, cynical educators I know. I teach in school system west of here, a place with a very good reputation, a place that graduates some pretty impressive kids, a place that is blessed with high-income families who can supplement their kids' public education with all sorts of extra-curricular activities and tutors. I know that the schools can only do so much, and I know that money affords kids some amazing opportunities that benefit the public schools by making us look good. I am under no delusions that my school system is better than another because the kids achieve on a higher level. I know that the commitment of the parents does make a huge difference, and I would rather my children be surrounded by kids who have been told from an early age that education is important, effort is important, and that there are many ways to succeed, but success on some level is important. That is what they get when we commute every day.
Here is what surprised me. I know all of the drama in the Melrose Public School system, but I did not know how well-known it is outside of the city. I have been part of two search committees in my district this spring. During the resume review portion of one of the searches, a candidate from Melrose Public Schools came up. On paper, this teacher seemed to have the requisite qualifications for bringing her in for an interview, but two administrators on the search committee rejected the resume. One of them said, "Melrose is a mess. There is drama from the top down, and the turnover there is ridiculous. I know this person has experience, but I don't think we need someone with that type of experience." The other administrator also expressed concern about hiring from Melrose. They both felt that someone who had been part of the "nonsense" in Melrose could not possibly be ready to "hit the ground running" with actual educational issues. How sad this was for me to hear. These poor teachers cannot even get out, because of what the system has done to its own reputation. I know that some people have left and gone on to better jobs, so please don't list the administrators who have left for greener pastures. I am just relating this story, because it is sad that the system is known to other towns in this way.

What is also sad, and completely unconscionable, is that rather than devoting effort to correcting the problems, most of the effort is devoted to glossing over it, covering it up, and pretending that it isn't so.

There's no question the realtors don't want this situation publicized. Their sales would plummet, and the median price would sink like a stone. From a business perspective, although shockingly short-sighted, it's almost understandable, but the ethical implications are disturbing, and there's no doubt in my mind that the current administration is a willing partner in this deception.

The decline of our schools coincides exactly with the tenure of Dolan, our very own "education expert", as Mayor, and it is astonishing to me that most residents are completely oblivious to what is, in effect, a giant ponzi scheme designed to keep the real estate dollars flowing. As with all such schemes, though, they are unsustainable in the long run, and when the crash finally comes, and it will sooner or later, those responsible will disappear and Melrose taxpayers will be left holding the bag.

Dolan takes credit for every good thing that happens here, but he is incapable of accepting responsibility for anything that shows him to be something less than perfect. Rather, in such a circumstance, he looks around for someone to villify - that's when you begin hearing the "hater" comments we see so often directed at anyone who take a contrary viewpoint or attempts to shed light on what the real situation is.

A reputable school system? Oh, it has a reputation, alright - just not the one the administration would have you believe.

The City is in such a tailspin covering up the school issues and the drug problems. Look out for yourself and your own interests. Oppose any tax increases because the leadership in this City has "gone along to get along" for so long that they deny and avoid all conflict and can't handle a municipal budget in an honest and equitable way. So, take care of yourself and your family and oppose any OVERRIDE proposed by our illustrious leaders.

Do people actually listen to Olive Oyl Clark's red-headed sock puppet?

A lot do. She's also the Doughboy's sock puppet. Or would co-conspirator be more accurate?

She'd scare a rooster off it's finial.

In using the term "reputable," ReMax ****ed with faint praise. "Prestigious" would have been praise indeed, but praise beyond the reach of a system that is controlled by edu-babbling, narrow-minded, and self-interested minions of mediocrity.

observer
In using the term "reputable," ReMax ****ed with faint praise. "Prestigious" would have been praise indeed, but praise beyond the reach of a system that is controlled by edu-babbling, narrow-minded, and self-interested minions of mediocrity.

Don't you love RedMax replacing their declasse' red & blue signs to the much more twee black, white and gold ones when they have a property on Bellevue?

I wonder if reputable neighborhood description will include the 4 teenagers robbed on Bellevue over the Memorial Day weekend?

Gotta love when the Melrose Haters go after a real estate business trying to promote Melrose as a great place to live...essentially doing there job.

You miserable pr*cks should love it. You can get more money for your rat trap and move out of the City. No shortage of young people trying to buy "in". They must not read Melrose Messages, those poor ignorant fools.

Then we get a bonehead talking about a robbery in Melrose as if it means Bellevue Ave is suddenly Blue Hill Ave.

I heard the perpetrators of the robbery were a charter school kid and two Malden Catholic kids.

When it comes down to denigrating business owners in the community trying to help the City by attracting new residents and getting top dollar for existing homeowners you need to realize that you have completely lost what ever was left of that petty, bitter, small mind that you had.

You know what would really help the city? If douchebag realtors would stop telling lies in order to get people to buy here, it would be an even better place to live. Was Col. Jessup talking about you when he said "The truth? You can't handle the truth." What price do you put on your integrity, if you even have any?

Melrose Haters Unite
Gotta love when the Melrose Haters go after a real estate business trying to promote Melrose as a great place to live...essentially doing there job.

When it comes down to denigrating business owners in the community trying to help the City by attracting new residents and getting top dollar for existing homeowners you need to realize that you have completely lost what ever was left of that petty, bitter, small mind that you had.

So deceiving potential buyers about the school system is "doing there (sp) job"? Attracting new residents and getting top dollar is fine with me - as long as you don't lie to people to do it. Only a scumbag does that, or applauds someone else for doing it. I don't hate Melrose. What I hate is people like you who are really the ones dragging Melrose down.

Perfect analogy for a MM Hater. Wasn't Jessup booted out of the military in that movie for lying to cover up the murder of young man under his command. He made up figures, fixed the books, perjured himself in court and basically lied about everything he could to hide the truth. Sounds like a hater posting on MM. Great analogy. Keep it up.

Like the tremendous majority of Melrose Residents who choose to send their children to public school in Melrose...I think the school system is reputable. I'd even go so far as to say I am happy I send my kids there and they are getting a quality education. Unfortunately, that's a truth that the small minority of Melrose residents constantly harping on this board can't handle.

Perfect anaolgy
.........made up figures, fixed the books, and basically lied about everything he could to hide the truth. Sounds like a hater posting on MM.

Nope. Sounds like the Mayor, the School Committee, and Melrose realtors.

Perfect anaolgy
Like the tremendous majority of Melrose Residents who choose to send their children to public school in Melrose...I think the school system is reputable. I'd even go so far as to say I am happy I send my kids there and they are getting a quality education.

Yours may be motivated enough to work through this, and I hope they are, but it says more about them than it does about the school system, which is a total disaster.

Remax is spot-on. If you disagree, put your house on the market and watch how quickly it gets snapped up. This city is in high demand. I know it kills all of the haters out there to admit that; lucky for them that a rising tide lifts all boats. Even though they don't like it here, their property values are on their way up thanks in no small part to our schools AND our awesome Mayor.

Melrose Haters Unite
Then we get a bonehead talking about a robbery in Melrose as if it means Bellevue Ave is suddenly Blue Hill Ave.

No, Bellevue is not BlueHill because that distinction is held by Wyoming.

Ever notice as soon as a critical point is made, the hater remarks start? Guess where that comes from? Why do they do that? Because it's all they have.

I have to wonder about their integrity as they're trying to get us to believe that it's okay if a realtor lies about the schools to prospective buyers as long as prices keep going up. What do you think these new buyers are going to say when they figure out that the schools are not only not "reputable", but a colossal cluster ****?

Surprised: "I know many of the teachers in town, and like them on a personal level, but this school system has turned them into some of the most beaten-down, cynical educators I know. I have been part of two search committees in my district this spring. During the resume review portion of one of the searches, a candidate from Melrose Public Schools came up. On paper, this teacher seemed to have the requisite qualifications for bringing her in for an interview, but two administrators on the search committee rejected the resume. One of them said, "Melrose is a mess. There is drama from the top down, and the turnover there is ridiculous. I know this person has experience, but I don't think we need someone with that type of experience." The other administrator also expressed concern about hiring from Melrose. They both felt that someone who had been part of the "nonsense" in Melrose could not possibly be ready to "hit the ground running" with actual educational issues."

Melrose Haters Unite
Gotta love when the Melrose Haters go after a real estate business trying to promote Melrose as a great place to live...essentially doing there job. You can get more money for your rat trap and move out of the City. No shortage of young people trying to buy "in". [quote]

Are the young people buying "in" on Wyoming Avenue? The "rat traps" in that area are rentals which the owners and the City neglect and the RE firms will not list any time in the near future.

The mission of realtors is to sell to the public an image of idyllic Melrose. The problem here is that MAYOR D does the same thing notwithstanding the facts. His being on the school committee is an absolute conflict of interest and a fiasco. As CC on the SC has said, their focus is getting re-elected. In order to do this, MAYOR D and SC (minus one CK) all gloss over problems and try to sell, sell, sell an image of Melrose and in particular Melrose Public Schools as absolutely wonderful and, to use the realtor's word, reputable.

The travesty is the harm MAYOR D is inflicting on the children of this city by acting like everything is great. He is also harming everyone else in the middle: the educators, the parents and the citizens of Melrose whose taxes pay for this fiasco.

SC member newly elected JD had it right: Mayor D and his cabal at "IRRESPONSIBLE." She said it repeatedly and it is true.

Step One at fixing the Melrose Public Schools is to Get the Mayor off the School Committee.