Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Committee Wasteland

Watched the committee meeting last night because of someone retiring. What a wasteland. Basically almost nothing of substance or intelligence, just a whole lot of nothing. Tried to find out what they were referring to by logging into the school site and getting that ridiculous packet. Read the policies all but one approved (thank you, CK, for remaining a voice in the wilderness). It's hard to believe these people are serious.

Mr. M spoke, as usual, with intelligence and truth, and he got to the heart of it all, pointing to glaring half-mil "discrepancy" in end of year reporting to the state, a messed up agenda, etc. These guys that are elected are not doing their jobs (yeah, I know, duh!, and no, I'm not a "hater," since that's obviously next). They are not giving the superintendent the leadership, and they certainly do no self-reflection, which is the first quality that would have to be present for them to be achieving anything that is actually in the best interests of the district. They are consummate narcissists, good at gazing at their own reflections but learning nothing. They are also quite effective in promoting their personal agendas, but incapable of seeing beyond their collective noses.

Therein lies the issue: Instead of working to improve a culture defined by professionalism, they all (with one exception) resort to making it personal, and not in a good way. They are so obviously working around their own egos and catering only to those things which feed that cycle, meaning that the other egotists and narcissists are patting each other's backs.

Who cares about financial reporting that is clearly a mess and that there is zero accountability (locally or at the state)? Who cares that most of the "leadership team" is bailing again/still? Who cares that the good teachers want out, almost universally? Who cares that there's no money (a convenient lie) for technology? Who cares that test scores for the district are in the toilet? Who cares that most of those "in charge" are grasping at straws and making it up as they go but don't have to worry because there is no meaningful process to hold them accountable--just "rubrics" and "instruments"? Who cares that professionalism is almost non-existent now and wouldn't even be recognized? Who cares that the atmosphere is toxic and that anything goes when it comes to bad conduct (by staff and students alike)?

Well, watch any meeting or read any of the piles of red tape and nuisance documentation they post and it's easy to see who cares and who doesn't. I guess I'm glad I watched because I should be more aware, but it certainly is a disheartening picture. How bad does it have to get before citizens demand that it turn around?

Re: School Committee Wasteland

family member
How bad does it have to get before citizens demand that it turn around?

People have been asking that question for a long time now. The only conclusion I can come to is that Melrose has the biggest collection of ignorant, ill-informed, apathetic voters I have ever seen. I guess we'll find out just how bad it has to get. The system is already in free fall, and is an absolute joke to anyone in the education business. Who's to blame? Start with the self-proclaimed "education expert" in the second floor office at City Hall.

How Bad?
family member
How bad does it have to get before citizens demand that it turn around?

People have been asking that question for a long time now. The only conclusion I can come to is that Melrose has the biggest collection of ignorant, ill-informed, apathetic voters I have ever seen. I guess we'll find out just how bad it has to get. The system is already in free fall, and is an absolute joke to anyone in the education business. Who's to blame? Start with the self-proclaimed "education expert" in the second floor office at City Hall.

Spot on (sadly).

And while the kids pay the primary price, we're all paying ultimately.

help me help me the sky is falling!!!

Hey, C.Little, the sky fell a long time ago! Don't look up, look down, don't you see the pile you are standing on?

Ms. C Little is probably none other than SC member CC, since this is her typical approach, as it were. Just wait until she sees what happens when the first of her darlings tries to apply to anyplace with the crap credentials MHS now offers. She can take her technology rant and sing it to the hills for all the good it will do. Not that she's ever done a shred of heavy lifting, mind you. She can sit there with her unpleasant demeanor and sing the praises of an administration that she hired and "oversees" as much as she wants, but many now understand just how far the district has fallen and is continuing to fall. She can brag about being reelected (nothing to brag about here!) despite having been at the helm through several superintendents (none of whom were/are good, let alone stellar), and a downward spiral that is confirmed with even a casual understanding of the facts.

No need for ringing alarms because this town is totally asleep at the wheel. Mr. Chicken wouldn't have a chance here because very few would care enough to respond when it counts. Clearly CC and her ilk haven't cared a whit. They think they are great, the district is great, MHS is superb, and all should genuflect before them. Yeah, that, and the moon is made of gluten-free blue cheese.

I can't imagine what it must be like, living with the Hate that seems to surge out of you, in each of your posts. What a sad and confused creature you are.

Sooner or later it will all come to a head. It's at the point now where other districts won't hire people who have been in the Melrose system. Yes, Melrose is asleep at the wheel, but the education industry is not. Unfortunately the amount of damage that will be caused in the future is directly related to the speed at which Melrose wakes up. If it takes a long time, I shudder to think what the state of the schools will be by then.

Thank God my kids are out of the Melrose School System.

hey by.....2 posts from you but no message....all WASTED SPACE.

Learn the code or shut up.