Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Impressive Group

Congratulations to the newest inductees into the Melrose Chapter of the National Honor Society. An impressive group of Melrose High School students were inducted last evening. Great evening put together by the high school administration and the class officers did Melrose proud with their presentations.

Re: Impressive Group

What is wrong with you? Don't you know that positive stories about the Melrose schools are not welcome on this site?

That's nice. Got a list of Melrose High National Merit Scholars? THAT'S an impressive group.

BLAH BLAH BLAH NHS is a waste of time and is meaningless. At least half of the students eligible did not even bother to apply. Another clique with the usual suspects.

....and the haters arrive!

Yes, any positive news regarding the schools that is reported on this message board is either 1) ignored or 2) twisted into something bad

I am going rogue though and wish to congratulate the students and their families - you all must be proud to have achieved this accomplishment.

I bet it's Rob's henchmen who are posting these good news stories.

Group A: nominated using four criteria, only one of which has anything to do with attainment (3.0 GPA) which, in our grade-inflated age, is attainable by a bonobo. The other selection criteria are nebulous, subjective and gameable.

Group B: nominated using one criterium, PSAT/NMSQT score. Even given the "recentered" tests, it's proof of something real.

Celebrate anything you want; it's a free country. I'll celebrate things I believe are worthy of celebrating.

I agree with the last poster and I want to celebrate that we have figured out the poster that is the biggest D-bag in the 02176 zip code. Woohoo!

I hope they all send their donations to the ALS organization.

Celebrate d-baggery
I agree with the last poster and I want to celebrate that we have figured out the poster that is the biggest D-bag in the 02176 zip code. Woohoo!

Any zip code that's home to:

Katherine "Olive Oyl" Clark
Marybeth "Cagney" MacAteer-Margolis
Gail "Lacey" Infurna
Peter "Anthony Perkins" Mortimer
Most of the School Committee
Linda "Red Max" O'Koniewski
The freak that walks around downtown with the bumper sticker of the latest moonbat political candidate stuck to her chest.
The harpie from City Hall who spent 10 minutes haranguing a Starbucks employee about how the CITY TRASH CONTAINER was overflowing and Starbucks should be responsible for emptying it because their patrons throw stuff away!
PTO felon O'Donnell
Robbie's butt boy McLaughlin

has a lot of competition for biggest d-bag. Feel free to add your own.

I don't think it is appropriate to use a thread about the accomplishments of kids in the schools to anonymously mock different citizens of Melrose. Don't go there, in this thread especially, but also in life. If you don't agree that it is an accomplishment enough worthy of your high standards then that is fine, don't comment on this thread. But to use the thread to start trash talking random people, and encouraging others to do so - that is seriously low. So why don't you do us all a favor and quit while you are behind.

The ultimate internet tough guy is at it again. Using an anonymous screen name to attack private citizens. Why don't you try walking up to the last person on your list and tell him how you feel about him in person...see how that works out for you.

No, let's not go there
I don't think it is appropriate to use a thread about the accomplishments of kids in the schools to anonymously mock different citizens of Melrose. Don't go there, in this thread especially, but also in life. If you don't agree that it is an accomplishment enough worthy of your high standards then that is fine, don't comment on this thread. But to use the thread to start trash talking random people, and encouraging others to do so - that is seriously low. So why don't you do us all a favor and quit while you are behind.

The thread began with one of the usual cheerleaders making a comment, which is benign and banal, and essential harmless. Another immediately had to chime in about waiting for the arrival of the "haters"; I had no interest in commenting on the thread until that post. I said nothing negative, but instead that it was nice and asked for information about a group with an even more impressive accomplishment, and I'm still more than willing to laud any and all MHS National Merit Scholars. I was both supported in my opinion and denigrated with ad hominems. I pointed out the clear delineation between the two groups' talents, and was labelled the biggest d-bag in the 02176 zip code, which is someone's opinion. I defended myself by pointing that I feel there are many bigger d-bags in the area, and I think a pretty substantial number of people residing in said zip code would agree about some or all of them. These aren't "random people"; these are people with an specific view and no problems expressing it. Just like me.

I wonder why you're feeling so butt-hurt over this, other than maybe the Modern Parent's pique when someone values a REAL accomplishment as opposed to the usual everyone-gets-a-trophy award. I know American society is now more attuned to feelings than logic, with "micro aggressions" being the latest issue energizing the Left, but c'mon, Sport, grow a set. Feel free to attack me any time you feel the urge; as I pointed out earlier, it's a free country and, unlike you and your ilk, I favor a free and open discussion of any and all topics in whatever forum. Too, and many here get it, I treat this site as a sort of amusement park of the mind and wallow in being the contrarian in Stepford. Ah, sorry, Melrose. You want to talk points, facts and figures? Fine, I'm here. You want to swap insults? That's fine, too. But don't pretend that any anklebiter whining that some topic is out of bounds makes an iota of sense to me.

I'll leave it to others as to whom is "behind"...

And in the spirit of going there, I can't believe I left out the most execrable d-bag of them all, Mike "WTF--I Can't Beat Pat Guerreiro OR Rich Tisei?" Festa!

Real Coward
The ultimate internet tough guy is at it again. Using an anonymous screen name to attack private citizens. Why don't you try walking up to the last person on your list and tell him how you feel about him in person...see how that works out for you.

You seem to be following my every move, why don't you send him to me? He can explain why 2/3 of the posters here feel the way they do about him.

Can someone say "latte fight"!

love it
Can someone say "latte fight"!
[8-)]

This thread really demonstrates all that is toxic on this website. It starts with a simple congratulatory thread about students and then devolves into the need to trash a bunch of people. Wow.

Real Coward

And FWIW, dummy, you've been beating the drum for violence to be visited on my weenie self for some time now. Isn't it time you took matters into your own hands?

Violence is the first refuge of the ignorant, and son, you qualify in spades. Try to use the keyboard for something useful, like cruising the "Russian Women Want To Marry You!" websites.

The internet tough guy again demonstrates remarkable, anonymous bravery.

The Real Fraud spends 5 posts trying to justify why he's a Melrose hater. Its easy...he an overweight fat kid from a second rate parochial school who thinks he is a track star. Just like the rest of the haters. Couldn't cut it at MHS. Complete loser who doesn't have the stones to approach a single person on his list and introduce himself and state his opinion. Total coward POS...and the best part about it is he knows it every time he looks in the mirror and in his check book.

The Real Fraud
The Real Fraud spends 5 posts trying to justify why he's a Melrose hater. Its easy...he an overweight fat kid from a second rate parochial school who thinks he is a track star. Just like the rest of the haters. Couldn't cut it at MHS. Complete loser who doesn't have the stones to approach a single person on his list and introduce himself and state his opinion. Total coward POS...and the best part about it is he knows it every time he looks in the mirror and in his check book.

and you ("Fraud") are probably walking in the MAAV walk, a total hypocrite, summing up every definition of a bully and thug, taking your cues straight from Robbie's playbook, calling people "fat," "haters," "losers," just as he does all the time.

"Real Facts" is well known in the community and is not the least bit afraid to speak face to face with anyone (and does). He's also intelligent, which you, "Fraud," are not, despite your pretensions. He can run mental circles around you in his sleep. So mock him if you must. You only make yourself look more foolish than you do already.

Not only will the bullies be walking in the Walk, they're out there obnoxiously hawking flamingos again. When will the MEFoundation organizers finally cotton onto the fact that their "hero," potty-mouth RD, bully of the bullies, who'd viciously trash his own sister if he could get a good snicker out of it, is not a role model for anyone, least of all parents who are trying to teach their very young ones good things. This guy is the most shameless hypocrite, aiming for each new batch of young parents figuring he's burned out the ones with older kids who know his game now, and they know how bad things are in Melrose secondary (and certainly elementary, too) education. They may have bought the bull before, but they've learned the hard way from their kids how bad it really is, with all the empty promises, rank incompetence, and bullying carpetbagger staff on the payroll. We came here long before kids, and now we know that our nice house has a different, more insidious kind of termite all around. Between the water bill, the taxes, the poor performance of the schools, but worst of all, the bad culture, too much would have to change to convince us that it's worth it (or safe for our kids educationally) staying. But there is an endless stream of starry-eyed young parents to buy the bull (and flamingos). We learned early on after a couple of chance encounters with protagonists of RD just what his true colors and intents are, and took the time to learn about the real scoop of the schools and what a mess they are, so we're planning early on an exit plan for our kids.

Wonderful news (although obscured by poorly organized district website):

http://melroseschools.com/2014/09/mhs-recognizes-national-merit-semifinalist-commended-students/

MHS recognizes National Merit Semifinalist and Commended Students
Posted on September 25, 2014 by John Buxton

Melrose High School Principal Mrs. Marianne Farrell announced today that four MHS seniors have been recognized in the National Merit Scholarship Program. The following student has been named a National Merit Semifinalist:

Claire Haldeman

Ms. Haldeman is one of 16,000 high school seniors who have been named semifinalists, meaning she has the opportunity to compete for one of the National Merit Scholarships offered next spring.

In addition, three other MHS students have been named National Merit Commended students. Those seniors are:

Duncan Locke

Amanda Shu

Abraham Zimmerman

Although they will not continue in the 2015 scholarship competition, these commended students placed among the top 5% of more than 1.5 million students who entered the competition by taking the 2013 PSAT test. As a school, we are very proud of their accomplishment and we would like to congratulate them on this achievement.
This entry was posted in Guidance Services Department.

Seems like I can't go anywhere on this site anymore without coming across another mention of the so-called "haters". That ridiculous pile of swill originally spilled out of the mouth of the Fearless Leader, also know as Doughboy Dolan, in describing anyone who disagrees with him. If you want so badly to point fingers at some real "haters", look no further than the middle office on the 2d floor of City Hall.

Pitiful
Seems like I can't go anywhere on this site anymore without coming across another mention of the so-called "haters". That ridiculous pile of swill originally spilled out of the mouth of the Fearless Leader, also know as Doughboy Dolan, in describing anyone who disagrees with him. If you want so badly to point fingers at some real "haters", look no further than the middle office on the 2d floor of City Hall.

Seriously, this is your response to the post about the National Merit Semifinalist and Commended Students? Look at what you have written and then figure out who is creating the toxic environment on this board.

No, jackwagon, it was my response to the nasty comments in general that permeate this board, most especially from those who can't seem to wait to drag out the old "haters" bull$hit, and to point out where it began and who is responsible for it. Apparently that exceeds your ability to comprehend, which probably means you weren't a merit scholar.

BTW, what does "look at what have written" mean?

How about this, why don't you use this thread that is supposed to congratulate students to actually congratulate the National Merit Semifinalist and Commended Students (or ignore the thread entirely it if you don't consider it to be a high enough achievement to warrant your congratulations), or post your anti-Mayor insults on one of the 1,000 other threads on this board that have been devoted to this topic where you criticize the school administration and the Mayor. You have plenty of other threads to choose from.

Look at the second post in the string. See where the nastiness started? I suggest you direct your comments appropriately.

And by the way, after the debacle that was last year's NMS, a certain amount of cynicism is not so far out of line - or have you forgotten that already?

You just couldn't do it, could you. You couldn't bring yourself to say a nice thing about these kids. All you could do was make some insinuation that they don't deserve it. NO, I cannot imagine where the nastiness is coming from - definitely not you, you are right.

Pitiful
Look at the second post in the string. See where the nastiness started? I suggest you direct your comments appropriately.

And by the way, after the debacle that was last year's NMS, a certain amount of cynicism is not so far out of line - or have you forgotten that already?

Actually, I think the point that the second poster on this string was trying to make has been proven by the rest of the posts on this string.

Truth
Pitiful

Actually, I think the point that the second poster on this string was trying to make has been proven by the rest of the posts on this string.

You're right, and it was equally inappropriate to do it in this string. If you're dumb enough to open that door, don't be shocked at what walks through it.

The Real Fraud

Oh Snap!

Kind of hypocritical to say Real Facts is anonymous.