Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Comer in the Race for School Committee

Looks like someone new to Melrose recently pulled papers for a seat on the school committee, Jaime McAllister-Grande. But please, don't hold your breath thinking that this person will be an "impartial" member given her connections with senior city and school officials. She currently sits on the Mayor's Birth to Five Advisary Committee and based on her campaign website touches all the bases in acknowledging all the major school players in the city including MEF and the school committee.

We know we have serious issues with the existing school committee and especially its current chairperson who has twice been cited by state officials for violating state laws in the last 6 months! What we don't need is a musical chair arrangement where one "rubber stamp" is replaced by another "rubber stamp" on the committee, although it may be too early to tell but the "warning signs" are already evident. Can she really play a major role in changing the poor attitude of the current committee towards the public - let's see how she deals with some of the tough school issues during the campaign and if she is willing to provide her honest insight and opinions.

In her campaign ad she states: "My main focus will be...enhancing communication between the schools and members of the city, especially for parents new to the school system and supporting a well-balanced education, including the arts, libraries, technology, and civic engagemet." Lofty goals given the track record of the current committee.

In her website she references an article in the Huffington Post on the importance of learning how to use the internet and libraries. She should also reference another article from that same internet website at .......http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-turner/ten-signs-your-child-is-i_b_7698514.html?utm_hp_ref=education&ir=Education&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000020

which is entitled, "Ten Signs Your Child Is in a Failing School District". She needs to carefully read this article and compare it to what is happening in Melrose - but she will first need to remove her blinders.

Re: New Comer in the Race for School Committee

Myron, why don't you run? You have all the time in the world you are always on the board.

run
Myron, why don't you run? You have all the time in the world you are always on the board.

Boy, did you ever get that one right, "run".

Hey Myron, why DON'T you run?

You really want me to run, folks! Are you telling me we can't find younger people who really care about the state of our schools to run....who have a vested interest to be involved - like children in the system - so you want to tap into senior citizens?

I sincerely hope that other younger people like McAllister-Grande decide to run for school committee- and I welcome their willingness and commitment in running for office. But we need independent, fair-minded people who are not commmited to the "status quo" - Melrose deserves better that the group we have currently on the committee (with the exception of the only voice of the people, Ms. Kourkoumelis). How many times does the chair of this committee need to be taken to court and be criticized for actions taken or not taken.

Would you vote for me, Run? Or are you of those people who sits on the sideline?

Myron, if you run then you would have someone who agrees with your opinion.

Myron, you won't find out unless you stop drooling and run.

Whose drooling - not I! Those of you who have a vested interest in our schools - like children in the system - need to wake up and get involved otherwise the current school leadership and school committee will take you down the path to failing schools - where we are heading currently.

Here is a way to help - the next time Gerry Mroz runs for school committee - VOTE FOR HIM!

Been away for a while.

Hmm, Birth to Five. Why is it no surprise that this backward burg has jumped on this particular bandwagon?

http://dailysignal.com/2013/01/13/another-study-confirms-head-start-doesnt-work/

As is the case with most school districts, Melrose doesn't need better teachers. It needs better students. That, however, is a particularly bitter pill to swallow.

Run Myron run. You would get more vote then Gerry and Patty put together. Mroz couldn’t win a one horse race; he’d finish a distant second.

So MFD, Patti and all-

What would you have GM's platform be?