Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patch: MHS now not even on the list of Newsweek and other rankings

Massachusetts High Schools Ranked Among Nation's Top 500
Nineteen schools in the commonwealth made the list, and Dover-Sherborn cracks the top 20 in the country, according to Newsweek's rankings.
By Patch Staff (Patch Staff) August 19, 2015

By PATRICK LUCE (Patch Staff)

Just in time for the start of the school year, Newsweek released its annual list Wednesday of the top public high schools in America for 2015.

Nineteen Massachusetts towns are included on the list of the top 500, from Dover-Sherborn, ranked 16th in the country, to Chelmsford High School at 492. The complete Massachusetts list includes:

16. Dover-Sherborn Regional High School
52. Medfield Senior High School
54. Weston High School
67. Newton High School
75. Westwood High School
93. Hopkinton High School
115. Hingham High School
128. Shrewsbury Senior High School
139. Gronton Dunstable Regional High School
207. Longmeadow High School
253. Newburyport High School
278. Georgetown High School
315. Arlington High School
381. King Phillip Regional High School (Wrentham)
396. Marblehead High School
424. Ashland High School
448. Natick High School
451. Braintree High School
492. Chelmsford High School

Re: Patch: MHS now not even on the list of Newsweek and other rankings

What's your point? Move to Dover?

Dah....Melrose is NOT on the list! Some people you have to hit over the head - they miss the subtleties of words!

MFD
Dah....Melrose is NOT on the list! Some people you have to hit over the head - they miss the subtleties of words!

Melrose can't touch most of those towns when it comes to wealth. There is a trend there btw. Wealthy towns/cities have great public schools. We have neither wealth nor a good school system. I'm not saying we are slum dogs, but we aren't anywhere compared to most of those towns. I know Melrosians hate hearing the truth.

I agree but we can be much better than we are.....and many people have told our school administration and leadership how! They are just not listening.....my way or the highway...what a philosophy of education is that!

MFD: Don't get your hopes up. Until the super, SC chair and various SC members, who willingly condone and some times participate in covering up the School administration's unlawful activities, they will be spending the majority of their time attempting to defend their actions and covering up their misdeeds instead of meeting the needs our children. This takes lots of time and taxpayer's money in the form of startlingly high legal fees that Carrie Kourkuomelis, to her credit, is trying to reign in. Unfortunately, SC chair Kristin Thorp, Super Taymore and the City Solicitor have been quite effective in spending taxpayer's money denying her access to public documents that we are all entitled to see.

That is a surprising list. I wonder why Lexington or Winchester high schools aren't on the list. They have long been regarded as the best in the state. Or Westford! Isn't it universally recognized by this board as the best high school and school district in the state?

Strange list
That is a surprising list. I wonder why Lexington or Winchester high schools aren't on the list. They have long been regarded as the best in the state. Or Westford! Isn't it universally recognized by this board as the best high school and school district in the state?

Close but no cigar. Weston is usually the best public school district in the Commonwealth.

No, I was referring to Westford, the town that is cited by a certain serial poster as one of the best in the state. But I notice that Belmont High is not on this list either.

Please do me a favor - don't mention Melrose in the same breath as Westford concerning education! In one school district - teachers are flocking to - while the other one - teachers are leaving in droves - big difference.

Strange list

Check the metrics they base it on. The Globe had one a few months ago that rated Matignon High higher than St. John's Prep! I checked the criteria, and a quarter of the score was based on "diversity".