Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Boston Globe Piece: Melrose faces second civil rights violation allegation

Melrose faces second civil rights violation allegation

By Steven A. Rosenberg Globe Staff September 18, 2015

A former Melrose teacher has filed a federal complaint against the Melrose public schools, alleging that she was fired in June for refusing a supervisor’s request to separate a group of black students who regularly sat together in her class.

“I was told that I needed to separate them because they were not allowed to sit next to each other because they were black,” said Kristen McCarthy, who taught art and photography for three years at Melrose High School before she was denied tenure in June and terminated.

Superintendent Cyndy S. Taymore did not respond to an interview request and Mayor Robert Dolan, who also serves on the School Committee, declined to comment on the investigation of the complaint by the US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. City Solicitor Robert Van Campen said the complaint lacks credibility. “The district feels there is no basis for this complaint,” he said.

This marks the second time in less than a year that the Melrose school system has been investigated by the Office for Civil Rights. Earlier this month, Taymore acknowledged that the Office for Civil Rights had determined the school district had violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. That complaint charges that a middle school teacher made derogatory remarks about a student’s race during the 2013-14 school year, and that the district had failed to adequately respond to those remarks, leading to a “racially hostile environment.”

To date, the Office of Civil Rights has not issued a final report of its findings or penalized the Melrose district on that violation.
Melrose student found to be harassed based on race

The US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has determined a Melrose middle school student “had been subjected to harassment based on race” in 2014.

In the second complaint, McCarthy alleged that she was first approached by Deborah DiFruscia, the district’s director of visual and performing arts, and was told last winter to separate the African-American students and reassign them to sit next to white students.

“It was initially a verbal request and I explained to her that I was not going to comply with that because I thought that was discrimination to move them just solely based on the color of their skin,” McCarthy said.

DiFruscia could not be reached for comment.

McCarthy said she was instructed verbally by DiFruscia at least three times to move the black students and each time she declined. She also declined an order to reorganize the student seating into a U-shape, because her students spent most of their time in the darkroom and studio of her classroom and that rearranging the seating would reduce the size of those processing areas, she said.

McCarthy said she was denied tenure and fired after she received a “needs improvement” assessment from Taymore for not rearranging the seating. McCarthy, who has taught for 11 years, is currently unemployed.

School Committee member Carrie Kourkoumelis called the investigation deeply disturbing and said she awaited the results of the federal probe.

“I think that it is pretty evident that there are serious administrative problems in the schools. Education should be a safe zone where the highest values are exemplified,” she said.

Steven A. Rosenberg can be reached at srosenberg@globe.com.

Re: Another Boston Globe Piece: Melrose faces second civil rights violation allegation

"This marks the second time in less than a year that the Melrose school system has been investigated by the Office for Civil Rights. Earlier this month, Taymore acknowledged that the Office for Civil Rights had determined the school district had violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. That complaint charges that a middle school teacher made derogatory remarks about a student’s race during the 2013-14 school year, and that the district had failed to adequately respond to those remarks, leading to a “racially hostile environment.”"

Agree: "deeply disturbing" and quite probably very damaging financially, also

"Education should be a safe zone where the highest values are exemplified”

It's past time that this community get its educational house and the local governance in order.

This "hot zip code" obviously has very deep-seated and pervasive problems that cannot be whitewashed away no matter how hard it would like to do just that.

Re: Another Boston Globe Piece: Melrose faces second civil rights violation allegation

School Comm June 9
https://vimeo.com/130280109

The situation surrounding the 2nd OCR case:

at 5:00

art teacher Kristin McCarthy
KThorp tries to shut her down, as per usual

KMcarthy: concluding a passionate and articulate statement, [if these practices continue,] "Who will be left to teach our children?"

student Isabella White @ 10:45 so articulate, profound
"....heard a voice comparing art to hula hoops...she's taught me so many live lessons that I can't count the number on my hands...The Art Program itself has grown because of Ms. McCarthy...because of her willingness and drive to make it better than it was the previous day...Her personality is contagious as well as her motivation...Ms. McCarthy will always be a teacher no matter what happens to her job...Her role in my life as a role model and an art teacher will forever be ingrained in my heart. She has changed me in the most positive ways, and I cannot thank her enough."

Thanks to Ms. McCarthy and these brave students for bringing the insidious nature of this school administration to the attention of the Office of Civil Rights. The Melrose Community supports you fully against these tyrants. Despite knowing the potential risks of retaliation (so prevalent with the current administration/school committee/ Mayor's office/ city solicitor's office)they have acted bravely on behalf of our entire community.

Melrose group hug for these heroes!

Agree. I have said it before, the overwhelming majority of the teachers mean well for our students. This is all about an ethics crisis within the highest reaches of the superintendent's office, individual school administrative staffs (some, not all), mayor's office, city solicitor's office, and school committee. Time will hopefully heal these deep wounds inflicted upon our children and community by these individuals.

Ethics Crisis
Agree. I have said it before, the overwhelming majority of the teachers mean well for our students. This is all about an ethics crisis within the highest reaches of the superintendent's office, individual school administrative staffs (some, not all), mayor's office, city solicitor's office, and school committee. Time will hopefully heal these deep wounds inflicted upon our children and community by these individuals.

Don't forget the BOA have culpability, too

Forget getting any support from the BOA....most of them are beholding to the Mayor - corruption at the highest level.

civil rights violation allegation

According to its Mission Statement, one of the goals of METCO is to "increase diversity" and "reduce racial isolation".
Having the black students being able sit together in class is counterproductive and should not have been permitted. I bet METCO would not consder it "racism". Hardly worthy of a civil suit.

Re: civil rights violation allegation

Sorry, "Critic" but this isn't a logical interpretation or a fair one. You have a wrong idea about METCO, also.

First, this isn't about a "civil suit," but rather a federal investigation, or two actually. The first one has already yielded a finding that the school district was guilty of violating the civil rights of students. This is a very serious matter, as surely you would agree.

Second, no one would ever presume to separate white students sitting together in a place like Melrose, and there was certainly no rules about any of that (and it would have been absurd and wrong to create any). This was a case of a truly incomprehensibly dumb department chair (hired with zero administrative experience by the super who is too prideful to admit she is not competent when it comes to hiring or managing her staff) "evaluating" a teacher negatively on entirely specious and quite obviously illegal, racist grounds, and then a super unwilling to back the teacher instead of the wrong-headed chair.

Glad someone responded to that earlier posting appropriately - ignorance is bliss in Melrose and some are in absolute ecstasy!

Indeed. What "Critic" seems to be saying is that it's okay to commit a violation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act if it promotes "diversity". Apparently he/she doesn't realize we needed the 1964 CRA for that very reason. Critic's oxymoronic logic escapes me.

The Critic doesn't seem to understand that it is unlawful under state and federal education laws and civil rights laws to retaliate against ANYONE who files a complaint of ANY KIND including a possible civil rights violation. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE COMPLAINANT IS RIGHT OR WRONG; THEY ARE PERMITTED TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITHOUT FEAR OF RETALIATION OR INTIMIDATION.

The unlawful retaliation and intimidation tactics of this administration is why The Office of Civil Rights is going after the District's top administrators.

I agree that the teacher should not have been fired for filing a complaint per se. If, however, she was fired because
she refused to separate the black students to meet METCO's desire for avoiding "racial isolation" in the classrrom, that's another story.

Can you possibly imagine what it is like to come into the MPS from such a different environment? The courage to come into a suburban district like Melrose, travel hours per day from neighborhoods plagued by poverty and violence should be respected and applauded. What must it be like to be surrounded by the kids of the entitled MEF parents? In a class where creativity, emotions and identity would be intrinsically part of the curiculum, it would be understandable that you might like to sit where you felt included and accepted. "The Critic", why don't you step outside your comfort zone !!!!

Some of you will agree with what is here tonight, and some of you will disagree, we all have an opinion. And they're all good opinions, good night to you all .For "The Critic",

Just want to clarify that OCR is investigating because Melrose Schools Administration retaliated against a complainant, a violation of civil rights law. It's what they do, remember?

You still don't get it, do you? METCO's purpose is not avoiding racial isolation in a specific classroom. It's purpose is avoiding racial isolation in society. Duh!

The Critic
I agree that the teacher should not have been fired for filing a complaint per se. If, however, she was fired because
she refused to separate the black students to meet METCO's desire for avoiding "racial isolation" in the classrrom, that's another story.

Please, "Critic," you really don't know of what you speak. This teacher was not "fired for filing a complaint." She also was not "non-renewed" for not meeting "METCO's desire for avoiding "racial isolation" in the classrrom." You clearly have no idea what METCO is all about. Your comments could be taken to be quite inflammatory, as surely you would not intend.

First, the district administration was already found to be in violation of the civil rights laws in a prior complaint to OCR (note: not a "civil suit" as you had put forward). This was and is a gravely serious matter, which in the end could mean that the district's federal funding could be jeopardized unless the administration gets off its high horse and negotiates a meaningful resolution. Everyone should be thankful to those who were brave enough to file both of these complaints because very clearly there is a big problem in the Melrose Public Schools when there has been a finding of a racially hostile environment.

This problem is a deep shame for our community, and the only way to correct it is by honestly and openly acknowledging it and then implementing the corrective measures as directed by the Federal Office of Civil Rights. Clearly Melrose hasn't been capable of fixing "the problem" on its own due to the pervasive unwillingness even to acknowledge that a problem exists, as your posts in their persistent ignorance unfortunately reaffirm.

Continuing to reiterate stubborn and ignorant remarks only perpetuates the dangerously bad situation. This is already a very costly predicament, but it will grow exponentially more so unless the community wakes up and forces officials to demonstrate some contrition and begin accepting responsibility and implementing the community-wide corrective changes, not only to the school district but to the local governance which has fostered and encouraged such a sick system and damaged the entire culture as a result. The ugly conduct of school officials in recent school meetings illustrates perfectly how this continues to happen. Those who care should watch these disgraceful displays to understand how the community has let down its children by allowing these bullying and law-breaking officials free reign. Ignore or miminize at your own peril, since all of us taxpayers are going to have to pay for this one way or another.

School Comm June 9
https://vimeo.com/130280109
The situation surrounding the 2nd OCR case at 5:00

https://vimeo.com/138697244
September 8 School Committee meeting

If you see something, say something. If you don't you are part of the problem. You can't live in fear of retaliation. We all need to do our part to cleanse our city of all this hate. I will not sit on the sidelines which is why I reported what I knew to the OCR on May 20, 2015, before her termination. As I work for MPS I knew what could come next. This needed to be on record. I did not know Ms. McCarthy. I only knew what was being said to her was racial and her refusal to comply would result in negative action. With her MTA rep being none other than Naomi Baline (the plantation teacher), Ms. McCarthy needed someone on her side.

Good for you, Ms. Dillon. Many of us thank you for your courage in standing up to this wrong-doing and coverup.

The people of Melrose thank you Ms. Dillon for your bravery. We don’t often see this kind of courage. I hope this is a real post and not from someone that is trying to target you. If this is really you, I cannot express in words alone the service you have provided to this community. You are truly a hero and a teacher that we value. If only more would come forward.

You know me. I'm a former Title Examiner from Mdsx. South. I am not a teacher, well not in the traditional sense. I am a Ctf Braille Transcriber/para for students and union officer for paras/ABAs/OTs under the MTA.

OMG! I know exactly who you are my friend! You come from a long line of very compassionate and caring people like Colby. Always putting others before themselves. I'm not the least bit surprised that you stepped up and refused to remain silent.

Please be careful! The scourges in this administration, namely his DizHonor Dolan, Cyndy Taymore, Margaret Driscoll, Kristen Thorpe, Don Constantine, Christine Cassatelli and the newest member of the school committee Jessica Duggan will be plotting your demise. And with the not so legal counsel of Robert VanCampen, I have no doubt that a concerted effort to silence you will be forthcoming.

Yes, you have protection against retaliation while the investigation is going on. But you know as well as I do, that will end when the investigation ends. Unless the people of Melrose vote out Margaret Driscoll you will remain a target that Dolan won't hesitate to exploit ways to remove you.

Ms. Dillon (and I won't use your first name out of respect and in an effort to protect the last vestiges of your anonymity)you are truly a hero of this community! If you ever need my help you know how to get a hold of me. I will be your legal counsel if you'll have me. Take care my friend.

I would expect that she is protected by federal regulation from retaliation beyond the time the investigation ends. The district will be in jeopardy if she can show the district retaliated against her because she reported or cooperated with the federal investigation. The burden should actually be on the district to prove that any negative steps taken against the employee were not in retaliation for her cooperating with the investigation.

Not that the school district won't start a vicious campaign 'documenting' deficiencies or improper behavior (probably backdating things prior to this time, as well - although they could have trouble backdating if there is no contemporaneous evidence). She shouldn't trust the union to protect her, though, because much of the union leadership have developed relationships far too cozy with management.

I am not courageous. I am not afraid. I have spoken up before even prior to this administration. I've filed with the DLR, MCAD/EEOC, DOE etc. I have had my job threatened, position threatened, hours taken away, offered a $2,000 pay-off to drop something and look the other way etc. It's a very long list and much of it under prior administration. If something occurs for telling the truth, so be it. I will then be very vocal on everything I know. I'd like to believe, and maybe I'm a bigger fool than most, but it's never too late to fix things and move forward rather than fix blame. Accept what's happened, accept the consequences, and insure it doesn't happen again. My personnel file is clean. All evals flawless. I am very upfront about what I feel and refuse to hide behind the mask of secrecy. I am doing what I was taught to do from my parents, instilled in me since childhood. I was born here. So were my kids and grandkids. I love this city and want it back to what it was.

METCO Isolation
Can you possibly imagine what it is like to come into the MPS from such a different environment? The courage to come into a suburban district like Melrose, travel hours per day from neighborhoods plagued by poverty and violence should be respected and applauded. What must it be like to be surrounded by the kids of the entitled MEF parents? In a class where creativity, emotions and identity would be intrinsically part of the curiculum, it would be understandable that you might like to sit where you felt included and accepted. "The Critic", why don't you step outside your comfort zone !!!!

Pope Francis would agree with the above statement. Turn the world upside down....get out of your comfort zones, stop denying, stop hating, stop distancing those with different perspectives, stop manipulating and abusing "power".... The entitled, narcissistic and narrow views are harming us all.....income inequality is alive and well in the "hottest zip code in the country". People in Melrose who might vote No on Override have reasons, opinions and validity........

There really is no protection in Melrose from retaliation. If you follow the District's procedure, you file your complaint first with the principal. This is usually where the retaliation first starts. You will typically get a nasty letter from the principal blaming you or the child for whatever your complaint was. You will also be accused of yelling at staff and will typically be banned from volunteering at school events and required to have an administrative escort when at the school. This school district is also famous for illegally retaliating against complainants by deploying the school resource officer and city solicitor against children and parents under the guise of "safety" which is just absolutely sickening.

I am the former art/photography teacher who made the complaint with the OCR (in addition to Ms. Dillon making a separate complaint before I had even made mine. She and I did not know each other and I had no idea that she had made a complaint with the OCR regarding the directive I was given).

Anyway, I did want to address what one person mentioned above, regarding whether Metco would have issue with the directive I was given. I can tell you that people working within the Metco program, the students involved and also their parents, were very disturbed by the directive I was given. In addition, I wanted to point out that although there were a few students sitting together who were not white, not all of those students are in the Metco program. There are students who are not white who live in Melrose, so please keep that in mind.

Ultimately, I was uncomfortable with following this directive as I had explained to Ms. DiFruscia, the department chair, that the students were doing just as well in class as any of the other students, and since it was a photography class, the students didn't spend much time sitting in their seats anyway. She could give no other reason for wanting them moved, aside from the color of their skin.

I wasn't sure if I should comment on here but I would rather people know the truth than speculate or try to infer details from the articles written. I hope people can see that I did this with the best of intentions and with my (former) students in mind. If you knew me as a teacher while there, or knew of my lessons, you may have known that diversity and acceptance of all was a key component to my teaching, so when I was given this directive, it was something that I knew was wrong and felt very strongly about.

If you saw my (attempted) speech at the school committee meeting in June, although I didn't reference this directive, I wanted the community/parents to know what is going on in the schools. Your children...my (former) students...these kids deserve better.

In regards to No Protection in Melrose, it has been a rough 2-3 years at Horace Mann for parents of SPED children.

Whatever happened at Horace Mann should not be a reflection on the other Melrose elementary schools.

Not at my school
Whatever happened at Horace Mann should not be a reflection on the other Melrose elementary schools.

The district as a whole is run by the same people, so while you are obviously eager to defend your elementary school, it's likely that you're just lucky to be having good experiences and not on the "enemy watch list" that the officials gossip viciously about. Getting out of your bubble you would likely find others in your school (yes your school) that don't share your sense of comfort. This is a bullying administration that does not hesitate to harm students, parents, or teachers, regardless of which school. Nothing is sacred with these officials (starting at the top, with those in highest power calling their perceived enemies vile names like "haters"). The methods range from overt to insidious, with refusal to communicate or answer calls and shunning (and even banning from volunteer status) going all the way to directing administrators to taking restraining orders (on specious grounds, though causing families huge financial damage having to defend themselves and their child/children). Just try communicating with the middle or high school administration about anything "negative" and you'll quickly find out just how sincere these officials are in answering your concerns; the minute they smell a problem they will begin by being dismissive, spouting policies (incorrectly--that's a guarantee), and quickly making it clear to you that you/your child are/is the problem. SPED families know first-hand that the district has a long history of forcing families to take on huge financial hardship in order to hire lawyers and advocates because of the unspoken practice of refusing services (or even the simple returning calls, or abiding by the legal terms of IEPs)--so that there is plenty of money in their "slush funds" (otherwise known as SPED and/or Transportation) to move around to pay themselves huge salaries and bonuses.

The previous poster commented: "Whatever happened at Horace Mann should not be a reflection on the other Melrose elementary schools." What the heck world do you live in? Who do you think hired the administrators and teachers there? Santa Claus? Having a level 3 school affects no one else in the district?

Will you kindly get your head out of your a** and wake up to reality! The current school administration poor performance, lack of transparency, lack of truthfulness, and 2 civil rights violations in a year affects ALL other schools in Melrose - one way or another!

Remember, according to Ms. Taymore's recent evaluation. she has done such a great job since working here (our first level 3 school, civil rights violations, our best teachers exiting our schools, teachers in revolt) that she was given a contract extension and another annual raise by our illustrious school committee (with the exception of CKK)! Talk about lunacy and idiocy personified! Welcome to Melrose - the alternate universe!

the art teacher
I am the former art/photography teacher who made the complaint with the OCR (in addition to Ms. Dillon making a separate complaint before I had even made mine. She and I did not know each other and I had no idea that she had made a complaint with the OCR regarding the directive I was given).

Anyway, I did want to address what one person mentioned above, regarding whether Metco would have issue with the directive I was given. I can tell you that people working within the Metco program, the students involved and also their parents, were very disturbed by the directive I was given. In addition, I wanted to point out that although there were a few students sitting together who were not white, not all of those students are in the Metco program. There are students who are not white who live in Melrose, so please keep that in mind.

Ultimately, I was uncomfortable with following this directive as I had explained to Ms. DiFruscia, the department chair, that the students were doing just as well in class as any of the other students, and since it was a photography class, the students didn't spend much time sitting in their seats anyway. She could give no other reason for wanting them moved, aside from the color of their skin.

I wasn't sure if I should comment on here but I would rather people know the truth than speculate or try to infer details from the articles written. I hope people can see that I did this with the best of intentions and with my (former) students in mind. If you knew me as a teacher while there, or knew of my lessons, you may have known that diversity and acceptance of all was a key component to my teaching, so when I was given this directive, it was something that I knew was wrong and felt very strongly about.

If you saw my (attempted) speech at the school committee meeting in June, although I didn't reference this directive, I wanted the community/parents to know what is going on in the schools. Your children...my (former) students...these kids deserve better.

Wow. Thank you incredibly much for your courage and your dedication. We support you and are horrified by all that is coming to light. It becomes very easy to see how and why the federal government has had to enter the picture in order to investigate this shameful state of affairs. Let's hope the investigators move quickly. With one finding already hanging there indicating that Melrose administrators/officials violated the civil rights of students, hopefully it won't take long for this additional set of violations to be defined clearly so that there can be some justice for all who have been hurt directly and so that our community can start doing the long hard work of understanding what needs to change.

"With one finding already hanging there indicating that Melrose administrators/officials violated the civil rights of students, hopefully it won't take long for this additional set of violations to be defined clearly so that there can be some justice for all who have been hurt directly and so that our community can start doing the long hard work of understanding what needs to change."

Agree 100 percent. Very well spoken.

Addressing these deep and systemic problems should start with that "Yes" group taking some responsibility and stepping back from its nonsensical unquestioning fanaticism supporting an obviously sick system. This is a core group that is actually harming our community with its blind strident insistence that this administration is "exemplary" and that giving it more money will only make it more so and is necessary. To people in the greater Boston area, it's plain to see that Melrose has a huge problem. How can this "Yes to the Override" group be so blind and actually downright foolish? Countries behind the Iron Curtain would have praised this group's propaganda and its apparent effectiveness with the gullible population!

Relatives all over the place who are reading about this (and hearing about it on WBZ!) are blown away that this "Yes" group would have any credibility at all given what is patently obvious to people with even a shred of common sense living nearby. They can't believe that a mayor and school board continues to give high ratings, contract extensions and even raises to those who would have been fired outright in a more sensible place.

But then again Melrose was stupid enough to approve a charter that put its mayor on the school board (with the proviso that any candidates for that position would have to give up any holdings in other businesses in order to serve as mayor) and then fail to include Recall provisions! Next door (practically) in Winchester, the whole community rose up instantly and was in all the news and talk shows about recalling officials for something quite a bit less serious than what is going on in Melrose, while here the focus seems to be just on the Victorian Fair and more override propaganda. The whole thing is quite unbelievable in its breadth of craziness and sickness. This "hot zip code" really needs to look to its core and clean up its entire act, starting with citizens organizing some community forums (since it's obvious that the corrupt officials certainly won't do this!). Also agree with another poster: Time to Take Back Melrose!

Even way back when I was a kid, Melrose always had a "clique" mentality. But there was always, even given that, a sense of decency beneath all that. You might not fit or be included in the clique, but when something bad happened, the entire community, cliques notwithstanding, came together and supported those who suffered some misfortune or injustice.

Even those who weren't one of the "popular" kids in school could count on the fact that they wouldn't be bullied, not only not by any other kids, but by the teachers and the administration. People had each other's backs. I remember a time when I got accused of something that I didn't do. The most vocal protestations actually came from the clique kids, even though I was not even close to being a member of that group. Nobody ever told me I should go back to the plantation.

Not so today. Melrose is sick, people, truly sick, and the germ most responsible for this sickness sits in the big office on the second floor of City Hall. You can get rid of every one of the boot licking sycophants he surrounds himself with. You can get rid of all the (save one) norms spouting bullies on the SC, and the butt kissing GIC sucking phonies on the BOA. But until you get rid of that toxic disease in the big office, the faces may change, but the game will remain the same.

the art teacher
I am the former art/photography teacher who made the complaint with the OCR.....I wasn't sure if I should comment on here but I would rather people know the truth than speculate or try to infer details from the articles written. I hope people can see that I did this with the best of intentions and with my (former) students in mind.

To the Art Teacher:
You appear to have the best of intentions in posting. You don't appear to have representation by counsel. You may not believe you've said anything to harm your case, but there is a reason for "No Comments" in situations. Even when you've done nothing wrong.

When you make the most innocuous comment, it's likely you will say inadvertently some words which the many highly-paid lawyers for the schools will twist and turn to their benefit and against yours. Remember, this school administration and their lawyers have a lot to lose here. They have the federal government breathing down their necks. They're backed into a corner and the claws are out. I expect they're already clawing at the feds. They will tear you completely to shreds to protect themselves. Also know that anti-retaliation sounds good in theory but can be difficult to prove.

You've written enough. For your own benefit, please don't write any more. Attorneys representing you can get away with slip-ups. You can't. If you want to respond, hire an attorney. If you can't afford one, just let the process play out with the federal government. You have to hope they will do the right thing by you but beware: they are a bureaucracy like any other.

The Critic
According to its Mission Statement, one of the goals of METCO is to "increase diversity" and "reduce racial isolation".
Having the black students being able sit together in class is counterproductive and should not have been permitted. I bet METCO would not consder it "racism". Hardly worthy of a civil suit.

Guess what? Not all the black kids are from METCO. Moreover, the law requires that everyone is to be treated equally, regardless of race or whether they are in METCO or not. The only reason these kids were to be separated is because of their race. If everyone is allowed to sit where they want, why should the black friend group be broken up but not the white? Answer, racism. Also, the METCO students are not here to educate ignorant people like you about race relations. Your ignorance is showing big time. I am absolutely appalled by your statements. The world is changing. Get with it, or get left behind.

I wonder why Clown patrol has no posts on this string?

I don't.

Wondering
I wonder why Clown patrol has no posts on this string?

Because there is no defending a mayor, school administration, superintendent, city solicitor and school committee chair who knowingly and willingly ignore and cover up civil rights complaints, educator misconduct complaints and harassment by educators. But they take it a step further: They illegally retaliate against the victims and complainants. Just watch the school committee meetings on MMTV and see these bullies in action. It's no wonder there is an institutionalized culture of illegal retaliation and intimidation against complainants within this school administration and city hall. It starts at the top. It's what they do.

This is nothing against the majority of teachers who do their best every day. They, as well as the students and parents are the victims of these thugs.