Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wasn't There a Meeting Last Weds about the Override?

I thought there was some kind of information session last week about the override. Since it was presented by people who favor the override complete with prepped answers to any questions, it didn't seem to be the best use of my time.

Was it last week? Did anyone go?

Haven't seen anything here or on Facebook.

Re: Wasn't There a Meeting Last Weds about the Override?

Yes' it was completely canned. All contrived for the "Yes" folks. Really kind of sick that they put on yet another "public forum" (just like the School budget forum )without letting any sort of insightful questions being asked ( right out of the Dolan/Thorp/Driscoll anti-transparency playbook). These were all pre-screened out two weeks ago. It was so boring, the MMTV camera-kid passed out and needed medical intervention. I am happy to say he appears to be all right. A good kid just doing his civic duty. We need more kids like this in Melrose.

Since they mayor and his cohorts seem bent on saying that Melrose is "at the bottom of the middlesex league when it comes to per pupil spending," let's take a closer look at the per pupil spending numbers, shall we?

First of all, contrary to Mr. Dolan's numerous claims, Melrose is NOT "dead last" in the middlesex league per pupil spending as someone else pointed out in another string.

Second, take a look at the Administration portion of the per pupil spending amounts. (You can look at the data from all different angles on the Mass DOE website http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/state_report/ppx.aspx)

Gee, what do you know, Melrose spends MORE per pupil on it's Administration than: Reading, Malden, Belmont, Woburn, Stoneham and Burlington, just to name a few. I guess Melrose must have a fantastic superintendent and administrative team...oh wait, haven't we been hearing about a couple OCR investigations lately? Nah, could't be in Melrose!

http://www.mmtv3.org/

They are now listing the two League of Women Voters "Debates" (neither of which is a real debate), one about the ballot measure and one about the candidates for the various posts up for election.

It was amazing to hear the opening argument of Jen McA about the Override in which she says this is "a step towards better teacher pay and retention," among other gross misrepresentations. Had to stop watching at that point. There is nothing in the Override about paying teachers better or helping to retain the good ones. This kind of misrepresentation is just plain dishonest. These people are without shame!

In her case, it's hard to tell whether she's an outright liar or lives on planet I-Don't-What-The-Hell-I'm-Talking-About.

Sad
In her case, it's hard to tell whether she's an outright liar or lives on planet I-Don't-What-The-Hell-I'm-Talking-About.

Probably both