Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Current Candidates Position on Override

Does anyone have a list of where each school committee candidate running in this November's election stands on the override?

Information on the aldermen would be appreciated too. I will post on that board next but if anyone knows, it would be helpful.

Which ones have committed to voting NO?

I want to vote only for candidates that do not support the override. I am hoping there are a few. Otherwise, I am at odds with their politics from day one.

Re: Current Candidates Position on Override

Wish I had a like button for this.

School Committee:
All 4 candidates support the override.

Alderman at-Large:
Conn: Oppose
LaRock: Oppose
McAteer-Margolis: Support
Mederios: Oppose
Zwirko: Support

Alderman Ward 1:
Musto: Oppose
Tramontozzi: Support

Alderman Ward 3:
Askenazy: Oppose
Wright: Support

Alderman Ward 5:
Fera: Oppose
Infurna: Support

Ward 2 Alderman Jen Lemmerman: Support
Ward 6 Alderman Peter Mortimer: Support

Yes for Melrose No for the Override
School Committee:
All 4 candidates support the override.

Alderman at-Large:
Conn: Oppose
LaRock: Oppose
McAteer-Margolis: Support
Mederios: Oppose
Zwirko: Support

Alderman Ward 1:
Musto: Oppose
Tramontozzi: Support

Alderman Ward 3:
Askenazy: Oppose
Wright: Support

Alderman Ward 5:
Fera: Oppose
Infurna: Support

Ward 2 Alderman Jen Lemmerman: Support
Ward 6 Alderman Peter Mortimer: Support

Thank you very much for this.
Those school committee candidates are going to be a problem ...

As much as it makes me sick to my stomach, I'm going to have to vote for MBMM. Zwirko is dangerous. I can't bullet the other three because it would help Zwirko.

I will be voting for Askenazy in Ward 3.

I will be voting yes for Melrose by voting NO on the override.

The SC is a lost cause, and will be until the charter is changed to get the Mayor off it, and I'm very disappointed in Lemmerman. I thought she was smarter than that.

Sad to say that the School Committee looks like a lost cause all the way around. A valid primary objective would be to vote out the incumbent (MD) due to her long history of poor conduct on that board, even if the alternatives are wretched also. At least there are some brains amongst the new ones, and perhaps there will be enough rulings of violations soon that the new ones can insist on compliance with the law, which has been a difficult concept for all but one of the current members. Things are bad enough that there well might be (should be) a search for new administration once the election is done and the pols all start seeing the bills & the rulings from high courts/authorities, and looking for cover and scapegoats.

"I can't bullet the other three because it would help Zwirko."

I don't think this is necessarily so (hope not). Must definitely vote for Medeiros, LaRock & Conn!

Will be writing in Monica for Mayor. Urging all to do so. At a minimum it will send a big message.

True

... The SC is a lost cause, and will be until the charter is changed to get the Mayor off it ...

I wasn't paying attention and suddenly the mayor had a seat on the school committee. I've learnt my lesson on not following local politics.

Seems like it would be a grave conflict of interest and a violation of ethics for the mayor of Melrose to serve in both roles. These are separate branches of city administration.

The school committee is supposed to be citizens elected to serve solely in that capacity. The mayor is supposed to be elected to serve in only the mayoral capacity.

When the mayor runs for reelection as he is now, he is running as mayor. Not as a school committee candidate but he will be a school committee member???

The different roles have different and sometimes conflicting responsibilities but the Melrose mayor can do both? No, he can't if he is truly doing either well.

Yes absolutely writing in Monica for Mayor. AND voting for her and J.D. LaRock and Conn for At-Large Aldermen.

Monica write-in for Mayor
Yes absolutely writing in Monica for Mayor. AND voting for her and J.D. LaRock and Conn for At-Large Aldermen.

I luv Monica and will also vote for her, Conn, and against any incumbant that screwed our public servants and tax payers by giving Dough Boy a 26% raise and taking the G.I.C.healthinsurance. By the way, I missed the Victorian Fair this year due to business away,did Morty see his shadow? I was just curious if it is going to be a long or short summer. Also curious why the vote yes clowns have Jason Lewis as a supporter. He is a resident of Winchester and the override will not cost him.

True
As much as it makes me sick to my stomach, I'm going to have to vote for MBMM. Zwirko is dangerous. I can't bullet the other three because it would help Zwirko.

I couldn't agree with this more! Zwirko is dangerous. I have posted before about his run in 2013 and how much big money came to him from outside Melrose. Take a look at his finance reports from that campaign:

http://1oxm8e2d5iwu1w9m62295bjk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CFR-Zwirko-131031.pdf

http://1oxm8e2d5iwu1w9m62295bjk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CFR-Zwirko-140116.pdf

Many of his huge donations came from lobbyist money from around the state. He raised over $10,000 for a simple alderman's race. Compare that to MBMM's $1,600 raised. She is much more limited in her future scope.

He is a much bigger threat long-term than MBMM will ever be. You would have to be crazy liberal to run pro-override as a non-incumbant in this race.

Bulleting Conn, Medeiros, and LaRock is a very bad bet for Melrose's future. I truly hope that many of the Melrose Messages crowd takes your view of this race and votes for the lesser of two evils.

Why is Mike Zwirko a threat and/or "dangerous"? MBMM must be really desperate to label him "dangerous", buy her own health insurance and insult Veterans by using her husband's service in Vietnam to get votes...I don't know MZ but I will vote for him, Don, Monica, and JD.

MBMM didn't say Zwirko is dangerous. I did. And if you don't know anything about him or his schtick, why on earth would you cast your precious vote for him? I understand not voting for MBMM, but you can always bullet the three you want and ignore the other two. If you vote for those three and then vote for Zwirko, all you've accomplished is to nullify your vote for one of the other three. They are anti-override. He is vehemently pro-override, and is firmly entrenched in the Mayor's pocket. MBMM is most assuredly the lesser of two evils.

If you want to know why he's dangerous, take a look at the links in the prior post about where his support actually comes from. Follow the money.

I didn't know that Zwirko's wife is the Asst City Planner.
He wants to be the alderman at large?
How is this not some type of conflict of interest?
He wants the override money to spend too?
It's a triangular nightmare.

Of course it's a conflict of interest, but since when did that trouble the anyone affiliated with this administration?

gw
Of course it's a conflict of interest, but since when did that trouble the anyone affiliated with this administration?

The levels of corruption, nepotism, ethical violations & conflicts of interest in Melrose rival those of certain areas of rural Georgia, Louisiana and Tennessee. Not that I am condemning all areas of GA, LA & TN so don't get offended if you are from there. Just making my point. There is a certain type of small town flavor here!

True
MBMM didn't say Zwirko is dangerous. I did. And if you don't know anything about him or his schtick, why on earth would you cast your precious vote for him? I understand not voting for MBMM, but you can always bullet the three you want and ignore the other two. If you vote for those three and then vote for Zwirko, all you've accomplished is to nullify your vote for one of the other three. They are anti-override. He is vehemently pro-override, and is firmly entrenched in the Mayor's pocket. MBMM is most assuredly the lesser of two evils.

If you want to know why he's dangerous, take a look at the links in the prior post about where his support actually comes from. Follow the money.

All I know about Zwirko is that the loony woman I see around town with political bumper stickers pinned to her jacket exchanged her Katherine Clark one for a Zwirko one.

A person is known by the company they keep. No No to Zwirko.