Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FREE PRESS ENDORSES OVERRIDE

Surprise, surprise. The Melrose Free Press has endorsed the override. Should make their largest advertiser, a
real estate agency, happy.

Re: FREE PRESS ENDORSES OVERRIDE

It's no surprise at all. They've been in Dolan's pocket for years. Calling it a newspaper is a joke.

This is the paper that wasn't brave enough to print the real news about the Civil Rights investigations. Melrose Messages broke this story months in advance of any of the local papers. Both these papers would love to have the traffic this site has. In fact Aaron Leibowitz wrote in one of the local papers that the "What Kind of School System Does Melrose Want?" topic on Melrose Messages alone had over 12,000 views in just over three months. Today it is 15,250 views.

Trust me, the The Free Press gets way more than the 150 views per day that this site averages. And the reason that this site has gotten more hits recently is that there has been an article in the paper. As for the endorsement, I think it is great.

Free Press
Trust me, the The Free Press gets way more than the 150 views per day that this site averages. And the reason that this site has gotten more hits recently is that there has been an article in the paper. As for the endorsement, I think it is great.

Seems quite ironic then that YOU on this site, contributing to the 150 views, reading the messages and replying. Why don't you just read the Free Press?

Free Press
As for the endorsement, I think it is great.

You might think it's great but how is it relevant?

As someone mentioned on another post, advertising dollars are driving the so-called endorsement.

The Community Newspaper Group could not care less about our city. Years ago when the Free Press was locally owned and operated, an endorsement meant something. Even if you didn't agree with it, there was some sincerity on the part of the paper. Today, the paper has no true local connection so this endorsement has no meaning. The paper has no ties to Melrose.

Free Press

The day any local "newspaper" ceases publishing the local kids' sports and putting group photos on the front page and salted through the paper, the readership and site views will approach zero.

The "stories" are simply a bridge from the Little League picture to the photo of the garden club.

Of course, the truly uninformed will go to the local press site to see what all the "cool kids" are saying and readjust their worldview accordingly.

Sometimes, in the newspaper business, an editor will get a news release or instructions marked "BOM" for
"Business Office Must" to serve the interest of a major advertiser. Also, chances are, those who can afford a Free Press subscription, or newstand purchase, are in the upper income demographics who can afford an override.

Joker
Free Press

Seems quite ironic then that YOU on this site, contributing to the 150 views, reading the messages and replying. Why don't you just read the Free Press?

Why would I pay two dollars to see the "top news stories"?: Melrose Fire Department Open House a Success, Curtain Goes Up for Noises Off.

Somehow I think that if the Free Press had supported the Vote No campaign, it would be the most credible source of truth in the universe as it is when you copy and paste articles that support your view. This site is so biased it is funny.

The Melrose Evening News was the last "real" news paper that had journalistic integrity! Local reporter Mr. Normin Leach covered the beat by reading the police log and police reports personally and not spoon fed by inept "department spokesmen" or administrations! When the Melrose "Not So" Free Press was consumed by Gateway Media they initially began on an unbiased beat with reporter Mr. Douglas Belkin, but alas he was destined for a brighter future with the Boston Globe and the local paper was run by clowns. A recent column in the rag paper recommended John Kerry for the Nobel Peace Prize? Are you freak'n kiddin me? He sold out the Israelies for the crazy Iranians and he deserves a peace prize!

Since you brought up our former Senator - what Kerry deserves is a Dunce Hat and a corner to sit in!

Funny
Somehow I think that if the Free Press had supported the Vote No campaign, it would be the most credible source of truth in the universe as it is when you copy and paste articles that support your view. This site is so biased it is funny.

Actually I, speaking for myself only, don't care if this site is biased. Someone needs to speak out, And speak the truth.

The press releases sent out by the yes group that pepper the local papers are not factual. In fact, they are written by a group of friends but treated as though they are independent thoughts of various citizens. They are one friend writing, then another friend writing with the 1st friend commending the second friend.

That is biased too. As are so many things in our fair city.