Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yes for Melrose Cheaters?

Yes For Melrose Cheaters?

I received a postcard from the Yes for Melrose group which came with a label affixed to the card and specifically addressed to “The Blank Household”. How did they get my name and address into their personal database capable of printing name and address specific labels? The card came with a stamp, label, no pre-sort indicia or zip code extension. Let me guess, could it be that the City of Melrose shared their database with this group?

In contrast, I received a Vote No card, with no name or address, a card for Don Conn and Zwirco both which appear to have purchased a mailing list from a list broker as these cards are generically addressed without a label. Both cards are addressed differently “The blank Residence or current resident” the other “First name, Middle Initial, Last Name or current resident”. Both cards are preprinted with a pre-sort indicia and a zip code extension and are essentially junk mail.

Hmmmmm, personalized mailing list for Yes group vs. generic mail house purchased mailing list for all others.

I smell some cheating going on.

Re: Yes for Melrose Cheaters?

Must be that secret cabal again.
I take it you've never received unsolicited commercial mail with your last name on it?
Putting together a mailing list that targets a single zip code with named residents is actually pretty cheap and easy.

secret cabal
Must be that secret cabal again.
I take it you've never received unsolicited commercial mail with your last name on it?
Putting together a mailing list that targets a single zip code with named residents is actually pretty cheap and easy.

Yes you're correct and that is called purchasing a mailing list. The Yes for Melrose group clearly has their own mailing list. One that was not bought but acquired. There's a big difference.

There is a big difference. I noticed that myself.

Must Be Nice to Have City Hall Access
There is a big difference. I noticed that myself.

Cheaters Confirmed

Posted Nov. 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM

MELROSE Clarification regarding override mailing

A note to our readers:

It has come to our attention that a mailing was sent out to homes in Melrose with an image resembling the front page of the Melrose Free Press. The mailing, which was said to be paid for by the Yes For Melrose campaign, featured the following headline: "Breaking News Story: 'YES FOR MELROSE' ENDORSED BY MELROSE FREE PRESS."

The Free Press did endorse the Proposition 2 1/2 override proposal on this Tuesday's ballot, and we stand by that endorsement, but we would like to clarify that this mailing was not endorsed by the Free Press nor did we have any knowledge of it prior to it being mailed out to homes.

What's weird is that we even got one of these postcards, and we moved out of town months ago. How'd they get our address anyway?

Do they expect us to not bother with our current town's issues (and there are always issues) and come all the way down to Melrose to vote? Quite a pipe dream, I'd say...

Who paid for the banner strung across Main Street stating "Vote Tuesday"? I find it appalling that it clearly resembles that Yes for Melrose check mark logo they’ve used.