Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Yes" way ahead on Facebook likes

As of 10:57am the "Say Yes to Melrose" Facebook page has 595 Likes as compared to 117 for the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance page. That is a margin of over 5 to 1. If this trend holds up in the voting booths it will be a landslide victory for the "YES" votes. In my opinion, this one could be over already.

Re: "Yes" way ahead on Facebook likes

Sure you do, "FBOOK" because Facebook is Real Life. And "likes" mean you exist, after all....

Wow.

Astonishing, isn't it?

Facebook actually provides more analytics and they show significant momentum gained by the “YES” site over the last week. The “Yes” site is up 3.5% in likes from last week as compared to 2.6% for the “No” site (aka taxpayers’ alliance). The analytics also show 223 Facebook members talking about the “Yes” page as opposed to only 9 for the “No” page. At least with respect to those that use social media; the “Yes” side appears to have a much bigger following and is trending further ahead in terms of total number of likes.

Hate to burst your bubble but the whole city of Melrose is not on Facebook should be very close.

"Yes for Melrose" also appears to be way ahead on the Twitter front with 77 followers with the "No" supporters deciding not to use Twitter as a campaign tool.

You're a campaign tool. Get a life.

Actually, Melrose Messages is a much better indicator of what feelings are on the override. The "What kind of schools does Melrose want?" topic alone is getting about four hundred hits a day since October 15th. Combined with other education topics on this site, t's about 800-1000 a day. Since Facebook won't tolerate any "No" proponents, it's basically useless as an indicator as to the spread between yes and no votes. Voting at Steele House (Ward 1) is running at about twice normal for a local Melrose election. What are people seeing in other Wards?

500 FB likes or 400 daily Melrose Messages hits are really nothing in a town of 27,000 people. And I would say this website is NOT more reflective of the views of the community - there is not a single regular poster who is supportive of the administration, schools, or override, (or Rob Dolan, who wins by a landslide every time - and you would never, ever know he was even remotely popular if you just read this board). Or think of this board's hero GM, who came in dead last in the last SC election. This is a board for people who are against the school and city administration and come here to vent on a daily basis. Which is fine, but I wouldn't count on it as channeling the views of the community as a whole. So I wouldn't say you could use either of the sites to predict which way the town will go on the override vote.

Winthrop school was jammed today. Strong PTO groups appear to have gotten the message out to parents. Yes is running away with this.

Winthrop jammed
Winthrop school was jammed today. Strong PTO groups appear to have gotten the message out to parents. Yes is running away with this.

How do you know what people are voting?? Winthrop could be jammed with a lot of NO voters, wouldn't make me think the YES crowd is running away with anything.

So apparently, the PTO groups haven't disclosed to these unsuspecting parents that only 14% of the 2.25 million per year is going to teachers in the classrooms doing the hands-on teaching? Maybe they should go back and do their homework.

At 5:02pm it is now 596 to 117 in favor of the "YES" likes. They have stretched the likes lead. Still well above a 5 to 1 margin in favor of the YES likes. This part of the process looks to be a landslide in favor of the YES likes.

Geez! In 6 hours and 5 minutes it got 1 whole like. I'm completely overwhelmed.

FBOOK
At 5:02pm it is now 596 to 117 in favor of the "YES" likes. They have stretched the likes lead. Still well above a 5 to 1 margin in favor of the YES likes. This part of the process looks to be a landslide in favor of the YES likes.

How are you feeling now?!?!

62% No, 38% Yes. I guess likes don't translate to the voting booth. But I noticed the "What kind of school system does Melrose want" Topic is getting about 200 views an hour since about 6 PM.[8-)]

You do realize that the number of views is in no way an indicator of the number of people who actually think that any of you are sane, right? I have viewed this page and that thread many times mostly because I can't look away from a good train wreck. The number of lunatics ranting on here is pure entertainment for me and I get a good laugh out of it so you can keep counting my views but please don't flatter yourself and presume that it means that I support your idiotic viewpoints.

I guess all this proves is the Melrose residents are much too smart for the Mayor and his sycophants! The residents have finally awaken to find out what kind of a Major they have and the true condition of our school system - I bet there were a lot of blank ballots for Mayor.

Neither is valid
500 FB likes or 400 daily Melrose Messages hits are really nothing in a town of 27,000 people. And I would say this website is NOT more reflective of the views of the community - there is not a single regular poster who is supportive of the administration, schools, or override, (or Rob Dolan, who wins by a landslide every time - and you would never, ever know he was even remotely popular if you just read this board). Or think of this board's hero GM, who came in dead last in the last SC election. This is a board for people who are against the school and city administration and come here to vent on a daily basis. Which is fine, but I wouldn't count on it as channeling the views of the community as a whole. So I wouldn't say you could use either of the sites to predict which way the town will go on the override vote.

Unlike Facebook and Twitter, 60% of Melrose Messages posters are not 15-year olds.

Now what lesson can we learn by voters sending the same old same old back to elective offices, but the mayor-supported override suffering such a crushing defeat?

Results tell you that voters like Melrose the way it is and the status quo wins.

Status Quo Wins!!!!
Results tell you that voters like Melrose the way it is and the status quo wins.

If the yes people had been smart,they would have figured that out & used it to their advantage. Overlooking this important aspect of Melrose shows just how myopic they are. They deservedly lost because of it.

The so-called leader of the yes movement worked for Katherine Clark & no doubt had her advice & input on this (failed) effort.

The yes people should really think about where they went wrong.Or not.