Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Racism Assembly wasted opportunity

Why are people irate that their children were urged to exercise some critical thinking?

It was more than an exercise in critical thinking. That's what they told us it was in an email. The email said absolutely nothing about race. It got out of hand. Many stiudents were in fear. Accusations were flying and as usual they were pointing fingers at the whites for their failures. Time they started taking responsibility for themselves and stop blaming whitey. The fact the you liberals see nothing wrong with the group BLM walking around chanting death to white people and cops is part of the problem. 93% of blacks die at the hands of other blacks but they are not doing a **** thing about those but we're supposed to take them seriously.

Its ironic that you all have been bantering back and forth about which one of you is more racist than the other, but the ugly truth is this discussion should be about the misbehaving superintendent, her senior staff, city hall, city solicitor and school committee (except CKK) who have all been actively participating in either retaliating against complainants using public resources, or trying to cover up these complaints. How dare they attempt to deflect their sins onto the children! The children have been the victims here and in many cases are the brave ones stepping in and making valid complaints of racism against teachers and administrators! And what do they get for doing the right thing? The school administration and the city solicitor go on the offensive, targeting these same brave kids, their parents, teachers, and the one brave school committee member, CKK, for retaliation and intimidation, discrediting them in the local press even before a valid (or invalid) investigation takes place. Yes folks, these are the "leaders that the MEFers and "Yes for Melrose" folks wanted us to hand a couple of million dollars a year to....while they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars from the kid's school budget on legal fees to defend themselves and their actions from the US DOE's Office of Civil Rights.

The Melrose Human Rights Commission needs to take leadership and guide City Hall, the SC, and Administrators in how to handle sensitive and potentially divisive issues. Whose idea was this assembly, who led it and what was the PROCESS.... Before, during and after.....????? More harm than good can happen, if not professionally organized and implemented....

Curious
Email about assembly
Curious
Was the evacuation plan/drill held last Friday a last minute decision by administers because they feared some kind at fall out from this assembly? I did not see it mentioned on the calendar in the November newsletter.

What does the evacuation drill have to do with the assembly/"fallout"?????

You're a quick one aren't you? That's what I'm asking. My point, did they have the evacuation drill because they were afraid someone was going to retaliate against the student body? Or was it coincidental timing?

Why do you have to be rude? Classic MM nastiness. Just a simple question.

It was pre-planned. The drills take a lot of planning, with the churches that hold the kids, police, etc. (and yes, I know a real evacuation can't be planned, but the drills are)

And time! Which is why I asked. It took at least two hours out of the students day and it was listed on the schedule for November. Something that planned and time consuming should have been listed.

I agree with Racism Assembly wasted opportunity. I believe that if the administrative staff shows leadership, maturity and knowledge of what is and what is not racial discrimination we would not be having these suits filed against our school. Instead, they took the same path as our mayor following override fail, put the whole issue on the backs of the students (and teachers) as the mayor is doing with the community.
They are both deflecting the blame off of themselves. Parents should have been told about this assembly in a more transparent way, but that will never happen under this administration. Of course, blame the kids. Put them in an inflammatory situation and sit back and watch. Poor planning all around. We have a Human Rights Commission and an Alliance Against Violence in Melrose. Were they ever consulted on best practices? I doubt it, this was hastily put together to most likely impress state officials on how we handle racism issues in our school.
The school superintendent and the mayor immediately shift blame on others while they continue to dismantle what was once a great school system and community. The community spoke loud and clear that they are not comfortable giving these two any more money. Now, sit back and watch the anger and vindictiveness displayed by the mayor and superintendent because they lost. Now is the time to speak louder than ever, attend meetings, do not be afraid to share your viewpoints because the community of Melrose is back in the driver's seat. Proud of our city for standing up to unacceptable "leadership".

Not sure why you think parents were not made aware of the assembly. We received 3 emails prior, and one email after, the event, with the website of the group that was presenting - http://www.urbanimprov.org/. There was also a description of the session in the emails.

If anyone had just clicked on the website of the group, it would be pretty clear as to what would be presented. The first notification came a full 2 weeks prior to the assembly so if a parent had any questions, they definitely had enough time to ask.

Old Melrosian, you don't have children in the schools so don't speak on behalf of things of which you have do not have first hand knowledge.

And reading this string, I don't think the problems stem from the schools - kids are obviously being taught racial hatred at home and some families seem to be rewriting American history to support racial stereotypes- and this is what is being passed along to our kids. Some of the posts on this string are downright sickening to me - it is like reading the talking points from crazy racist confederate websites. If you want to blame this on the Superintendent go ahead - but like most things when it comes to kids, it is a parent's responsibility to teach their children the right thing. Judging from this string, there is some seriously horrific parenting going on and no wonder there is racial prejudice in the schools.

I have no argument with your main point, that this behavior is learned initially at home. Having said that, however, the example set by our elected and appointed officials should be held to a higher standard that what appears to be happening vis a vie poor parenting. It's been fairly obvious for a long time that there is some seriously poor parenting going on in lily white Melrose, but given the way the "go back to the plantation" incident was handled by both the schools and the city administration, I'd say we're in pretty bad shape there, too, as far as setting the right example goes. It looks to me that this assembly situation is no more than another poorly planned and executed case of CYA, and as usual, not only did it not help, it made things worse. Who should we hold accountable for that, the tooth fairy?

It's an institutional problem, from the top on down. Did you read that pathetic email sent out by the Mayor blaming everyone but the the Dalai Lama for the override defeat? This entire administration is simply incapable of accepting any responsibility for their failures. The Mayor just called 62% of those who voted short-sighted and irresponsible for defeating "his" override, rather than saying, as a real leader would, "Okay. The people have spoken, and my job is to carry out the will of the people."

The will of the people in this case is that the schools fix the existing dysfunction, not engage in another round of CYA.

Wait, you mean the administration did not solve racism in a 2 hour meeting. Unbelievable!
I agree with Parent. After hearing the way this went, I would have my student excused from any future such assemblies. The problem with the black lives matters crowd isn’t that they aren’t being heard…the problem is that they don’t want to accept that any point of view exists except their own. Many believe that white privilege is a myth and a crutch that is damaging to non-whites, not helpful to their cause. It was tool created as a reply to whites when they correctly point out that they (like many in the Boston area) are sons and daughters of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants that come over here in the 20’s – 50’s. Our ancestors never owned slaves; but that doesn’t fit the liberal/BLM narrative so white privilege was fabricated. There is ample evidence to suggest that perpetuation of this myth only hurts non-whites, specifically African-Americans. It is disheartening to see this movement impose self-inflicted damage by supporting a concept that will only hurt their advancement, not help. Suggesting any critical thinking in this type of forum is not acceptable to the black lives latters crowd and will result in getting shouted down. If you don’t believe me, hop on a plane and head down to the University of Missouri and try to make the case that white privilege is a myth. You will be right, but not well received. This is political correctness gone wild. MFD is exactly correct, this is a construct of the liberal left. Liberal policies destroyed the black family in order to get the community dependent on government. It is a crying shame that not enough in the black community recognize this and instead sign up for these hopeless movements that are created in the “safe zone” that is academia, and will most-assuredly lead them to disappointment when leaving that “safe zone.”

Again, First of all the emails explained they were having an assembly on dealing with conflict. Nothing EVER mentioned about race.

Second, who is rewriting history. Did indentured servants not exist?

Third, just like you can form opinions on EVERYTHING else, you can form opinions on race. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LEARNED AT HOME. I grew up with the two most loving parents ever. Five brothers and sister. Neither parent ever said an unkind word about anyone. Grew up in a small community in which black families also lived. I interacted with them. one of my siblings married someone of mixed whom I love dearly, 22 years ago. My family didn't even bat an eye when they started dating. Now here we are in the 21st century. Everything you do/say is racist if it's directed toward the black community. They are destroying cities, making up lies to destroy cops lives. They are marching chanting for the deaths of cracker babies and police officers. They are having multiple babies out of wedlock and not taking care of them. So yes my OPINION has changed somewhat do to THEIR OWN BEHAVIOR and I am fed up. So if that makes me a racist well them I'm a racist.

Tired
Again, First of all the emails explained they were having an assembly on dealing with conflict. Nothing EVER mentioned about race.

Third, just like you can form opinions on EVERYTHING else, you can form opinions on race. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LEARNED AT HOME. I grew up with the two most loving parents ever. Five brothers and sister. Neither parent ever said an unkind word about anyone. Grew up in a small community in which black families also lived. I interacted with them. one of my siblings married someone of mixed whom I love dearly, 22 years ago. My family didn't even bat an eye when they started dating. Now here we are in the 21st century. Everything you do/say is racist if it's directed toward the black community. They are destroying cities, making up lies to destroy cops lives. They are marching chanting for the deaths of cracker babies and police officers. They are having multiple babies out of wedlock and not taking care of them. So yes my OPINION has changed somewhat do to THEIR OWN BEHAVIOR and I am fed up. So if that makes me a racist well them I'm a racist.

The email from the school said the following:

3) The Urban Improv assembly will explore issues around race, prejudice and stereotyping. Students will have the opportunity to step into the scenes presented and share their point of view. The interactive format is a springboard to thoughtful dialogue, reflections and insights. Deeper conversations will continue throughout the year to help define, shape and enrich the school culture. Immediately following the assembly, students will return to their homerooms and have facilitated discussions around the following questions.
------

I am not exactly sure what you didn't understand about what was being presented. Between the email and a simple click on the website, it is pretty obvious. But you can go ahead and blame the administration for a "lack of transparency" if you'd like - but is more likely that you never read your email carefully (or jumped on the anti-school bandwagon like Old Melrosian and took it as another way to bash the administration without any actual knowledge of events).

And as for the rest (and the post prior), it is so racist and horrific that I can't even respond. Except to say that in saying the above, you have absolutely no credibility to criticize anyone else, or the administration, on how they respond to racial conflicts. Look in the mirror and see you are the cause of the problem, not a victim.

Racism = modern day McCarthyism.
Used with impunity.

And democrats are modern day Stalins what is your point. Here is an email I got from the school. I see nothing on race.

Good morning,

On Tuesday, November 3rd, all MHS students will participate in an hour long assembly run by Urban Improv. Urban Improv is an interactive program for young people that uses improvisational theatre workshops to teach violence prevention, conflict resolution, and decision-making. The programs innovative curriculum helps students deal creatively with major issues in their lives.

Thank you

MHS Administration

Admin, i.e. staff, needs to deal with their own issues regarding OCR/race before throwing some inappropriate, poorly planned program at the students. None of the OCR issues stemmed from student to student relations did they? Clean up your own back yard first, then find an appropriate way to broach the subject with students.

Old Melrosian
I agree with Racism Assembly wasted opportunity. I believe that if the administrative staff shows leadership, maturity and knowledge of what is and what is not racial discrimination we would not be having these suits filed against our school. Instead, they took the same path as our mayor following override fail, put the whole issue on the backs of the students (and teachers) as the mayor is doing with the community.
They are both deflecting the blame off of themselves.

Again; the kids have been brave and proactive about reporting incidents of racism, harassment, intimidation and bullying by teachers, administrators and students. The kids are all too aware of how the current administration and superintendent's office handles complaints via retaliation against complainants but still bravely step up and do the right thing. The Horace Mann debacle not too long ago concerning complaints about a fifth grade teacher is a fine example: Children and parents who were victims of retaliation and intimidation by all levels of the administration right up to the superintendent, RSC and city solicitor, simply for coming forward with complaints about the teacher's behavior and the principal's retaliatory response against complainants. Another example was the poor METCO kid who came forward with a complaint about racist comments by an 8th grade teacher and was defamed by the city solicitor in the local newspapers before an investigation had even taken place. Similarly, the art teacher who questioned the administration's actions regarding seating arrangements for minority students and whose contract was suddenly not renewed. The majority, if not all of the Civil Rights violations and misconduct have been perpetrated by teachers, principals, administrators, and elements at city hall, yet the superintendent's dialogue would have you believing it is the kids and the parents. Sadly, we will always have racial incidents like this occasionally but it is how the school administration and local leaders react that is the real disgrace.

Tired

I told you if it sounds racist to you go ahead and call me racist. Not hurting my feelings. Because talk about how fed up I am of these animals and the way they act and the blame they put on everybody but themselves that makes me a racist? Well Then I'm in good company because their are many, many people who feel the same. But you don't know me. I run a business. I'm going to hire the most qualified for the job black or white. I don't use racial slurs towards anyone. I don't judge people on the color of skin I judge them on character. You can not walk into a job interview with your pants at your knees and your hat on crooked and wonder why no one hires you. You can't tell an officer they pulled you over because you're black, tell them to **** off and think you're not getting locked up. Enough is enough.

Yup. I don't care if you're white, red, black, yellow, brown, or even orange and green stripes finished in clearcoat. If you act like an a$$hole, I'll treat you like an a$$hole.

MVMMS parent: People are entitled to their own opinions. Everyone. Old Melrosian included and certainly other parents. It is my opinion that you are rude.

High school parents were in fact not made aware of the event. High School parents received ONE very brief email before the assembly. I have pasted it below so all can see the notice HS parents received. The terms civil rights and racism were not mentioned. There was no link to the website, and we certainly did not know about it 2 weeks before the event.

It seems like the middle school did a much better job making parents aware of the assembly.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, there were ugly incidents that occurred when the current sophomore class were students in Ms. Baline's 8th grade history class. Fact: her racists comments were not dealt with appropriately by MPS. Federal Office of Civil Rights agrees, which is why the district must run this type of assembly in the first place. Is this what is meant in the follow up email, sent by Marianne Farrell, when she says there will be missteps and hurdles along the way? So MVMMS Parent, please curb the rhetoric about racist families.

As for the assembly from last week: My high school student thought it was odd that the grown ups opened up this conversation without making sure the conversation was respectful. The students said most teachers left the auditorium. I'm guessing they were disgusted. That is my guess, not a known fact.

It is a shame. Without proper planning and execution, what did the superintendent and the HS principal think would come of this? Also, what is being done to help the teachers manage the fall out?

Middle schoolers said that Mr. Conway told his students in one of the project rooms that the assembly was not what he had hoped it would be.

Honesty. Hey that's new.

-----
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:13 AM
Subject: Tuesday, November 3rd Student Assemblies

A message from MELROSE HIGH SCHOOL

Good morning,

On Tuesday, November 3rd, all MHS students will participate in an hour long assembly run by Urban Improv. Urban Improv is an interactive program for young people that uses improvisational theatre workshops to teach violence prevention, conflict resolution, and decision-making. The programs innovative curriculum helps students deal creatively with major issues in their lives.

Thank you
MHS Administration

I would like to know why it's ok for one of my child's middle school teachers to tell their students that Trump is racist? Teachers should not be trying to mold kids minds with their own political beliefs.

The Problem Is
The experience of African Americans in this country does not compare to that of any people other than Native Americans.
I suppose some of you want to devalue the Native American experience too?

African American came here in chains and were brutally forced to work. Husbands, wives, children sold without regard for family ties. Women raped so frequently, a distinctive biracial look became common. The black man considered by our country to be 3/5 of the white man. After slavery ended blacks continued to be brutalized by this country. Sharecropping (similar to your indentured servitude), the Klan, all manner of preventing jobs, education, voting, land ownership, you name it. Jim Crow laws and segregation kept black progress down.

It's convenient to ignore the history of the African American in this country but that didn't mean it didn't happen and that this horrific history doesn't have an affect on people today.

Just look at how some of you are talking today. Here in the supposedly educated northeast.

yawn....just another guilty white person. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WAS A SLAVE YOU FOOL. I've never met one and never will. Just like you, just like every other anti-american liberal on this page.

Purple kilt
I would like to know why it's ok for one of my child's middle school teachers to tell their students that Trump is racist? Teachers should not be trying to mold kids minds with their own political beliefs.

I know its not likely (next to impossible actually) but teachers who bring up biased politics of any kind in class should be suspended or fired. These kids are so young and impressionable. No way they should be brainwashed by some tree hugging liberal or some bible thumping right wing nut.

Purple kilt

Answer: Because he is. It's not a political belief, he just is,

Nothing New
The Problem Is

yawn....just another guilty white person. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WAS A SLAVE YOU FOOL. I've never met one and never will. Just like you, just like every other anti-american liberal on this page.

Thanks for showing us all how ignorant you are, There are hundreds and thousands of slaves by in the sex industry in this country. There are millions of people enslaved world wide. You should join the superintendent's staff.

fact
Purple kilt

Answer: Because he is. It's not a political belief, he just is,

No it's political belief. He's trying to sway the young minds, just like everyone else that all republicans are racist. What makes him racist? Because he is not going to give all the illegals a free pass into our healthcare, welfare system. You're a tool. They came over the border flipping their fingers at us and you want to support them. Feel free. If our tax money didn't go to them we'd have enough money for the schools without having to raise more taxes. I'm tire of $20,000 of my income going to ******* taxes every year, bs that doesn't include my property tax, my excise tax, my sales tax. I'm fed up.

Let me get this straight.

You hate the superintendent because she allowed racial attacks to go on without punishment. Fair enough. Cyndy Taymore is inexcusably ignorant. She makes excuses so she doesn't have to do her job but she is also amazingly uneducated & crude.

But you have enough racial hatred yourselves which should prevent your children from attending a forum to examine racism?

I am surprised you don't support Cyndy Taymore. You're the parent side of the educational equation. She is the administrative side.
But you both have problems understanding race relations in this country.

All of you need some history lessons. As do your children apparently.

Melrose is 1950s southern town.

We're getting a little far afield here. I don't see immigration issues as racial. I see see them as economic. I'm as much against illegal immigrants from Ireland as I am about those from Guatemala. We can't afford to allow the recent flood to continue. Period. And btw, aren't hispanics white? You're losing me here.

I'm an Irish Catholic guy from Massachusetts. A long time ago I and some others were running to a sandbag bunker trying to get cover from mortar and rocket fire. I tripped and fell. Know who came running back to pick me up? A black guy from South Carolina.

I will treat you the way I would want to be treated, unless you act like an a$$hole. Then I'll treat you like an a$$hole, race notwithstanding.

Some Hispanics are light skinned some dark skinned. the point was why is Trump a racist because he wants illegals sent back. Of course everyone assumes he means only the Spanish because Oba was so nice to just open the border and let them cross. The point being how does it make him racist? And a teacher should have no right telling students he is racist. Tell them Thomas Jefferson was racist, he owned slaves. Stop trying to shape their minds into what you believe. There would be an uproar if someone said Obama is a christian, cop hating Muslim. Those are my beliefs and nobody would appreciate me as a teacher if I told kids that.

Well, the only positive thing I can say about this ignorant, offensive and hurtful string is that at least it has exposed the true nature of the posters on MelroseMessages. Luckily the people I meet in real life in Melrose are nothing like the people that post here. And you wonder why no one takes this site seriously?

I invite you to tell me what is ignorant, offensive, or hurtful about anything I've posted here. Was it the part where the black man from South Carolina quite possibly saved my life?

Bad behavior is just bad behavior, no matter the nationality or race of the person doing it. Illegal immigration is just illegal, no matter the nationality or race of the immigrant. All 4 of my grandparents were immigrants - legal immigrants. Am I supposed to feel bad about that somehow? If you break our laws to get here, how does that entitle you to any of the benefits available to those who follow our laws? For absolutely the last time - to me, this has nothing whatever to do with race. I'm the most race neutral person you'll ever meet, yet somehow that's offensive to you? This is what happens when political correctness runs wild, like taking Merry Christmas off a coffee cup.

So many of the posts in this string that claim there is no racism or that it is a false premise created by liberals or blacks to get special treatment have one thing in common. The posters all focus on themselves. "It is all about me, me, me (or my white kids or my white community)." I know that the racist posters here are in the minority in real life and this board encourages your posts because it is anonymous. Even the posters who weren't necessarily racist just talk about themselves! But it must stink to be you when all you are focused on is what you are not getting and others appear to have. Selfish and a lack of empathy. Racists just seem like awfully unhappy people inside. Maybe they come across as friendly and/or happy but really, lacking even the smallest bit of empathy for others who are different from you, must bleed into your relationships. At first I was appalled, now I am still appalled but mostly sad. But I guess that must be because I am empathetic to the point of trying to understand where even racists are coming from.

It is likely that one of the administration's lackeys is planting these racist posts purposely to tarnish Melrose Messages. Just the kind of thing I wouldn't put past them. It's sad to say that they are effectively deflecting the story about their sins onto others, quite effectively, while making Melrose Messages look like a haven for racists. The reality is there are one or two racist bozos posting on the site, or like I said, one of the administrations lackeys is posting them to discredit MM.

Again, there will be racism, harassment and bullying where ever you go and certainly, Melrose is not immune to this. It is the unlawful response by the School District's leadership and City Hall that should be of primary concern to Residents of Melrose. By their practice of attacking the victims and complainants (children, parents and teachers alike), they are sending two very dangerous messages: 1) It is okay for perpetrators to behave in this way and we will protect your actions. 2) If you dare file a complaint to the administration about this type of misconduct, you will pay a price. You will be intimidated and retaliated against. The administration does this in a number of ways including administrators quietly filing false police reports with the RSC against complainants, filing for harassment prevent orders against victims and complainants in local district courts, restricting parents from volunteering at their school or at school related events in order to socially isolate them and employing the city solicitor to threaten legal action against you and your family if you persist in pushing your compliant.

Could it be?
It is likely that one of the administration's lackeys is planting these racist posts purposely to tarnish Melrose Messages. Just the kind of thing I wouldn't put past them. It's sad to say that they are effectively deflecting the story about their sins onto others, quite effectively, while making Melrose Messages look like a haven for racists. The reality is there are one or two racist bozos posting on the site, or like I said, one of the administrations lackeys is posting them to discredit MM.

No, sadly there have been many racist posts on this message board over the past several years. This is not a new thing.

Yeah well Robbie has had his minions posting offensive things here right from the start because it drives him insane that this message board with free communication about all that he wants hidden continues despite his extreme measures to shut it down and punish the owners. That being said, there are also a lot of very backwards and creepy people in our fair city. Someone else posted aptly that Melrose has many similarities to 1950s Tuscaloosa, as some of the horrific recent posts illustrate only too clearly.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/how_alabama_taught_its_childre.html

How Alabama taught its children to be racists -- and what will it do with science?
John Archibald | jarchibald@al.com By John Archibald | jarchibald@al.com

on May 15, 2015 at 6:37 AM, updated May 20, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Hear the history text that taught Alabama John Archibald reads passages from Know Alabama, the history book used to teach fourth graders in Alabama from 1957 -1970.

The men and women of Alabama – from the Greatest Generation to Baby Boomers like me – learned Alabama history from the famous old textbook "Know Alabama."

It should be called "No Wonder, Alabama." It explains a lot.

Fourth graders until the '70s learned how living on a plantation was "one of the happiest ways of life." Just imagine yourself, the 1957 edition says, on your family plantation:

"How's it coming Sam," your father asks one of the old Negroes.

"'Fine, Marse Tom, 'jes fine. We got 'most more cotton than we can pick.' Then Sam chuckles to himself and goes back to picking as fast as he can.

"One of the little Negro boys is called 'Jig' He got that name because he dances so well when the Negroes play their banjos.

"Jig comes up and says 'Let me play.'"

"And you say "All right, but you be the captive Indian."

"That will be fun," Jig says, and he goes off gladly to be the Indian, to hide and then get himself captured."

Wait a minute. Whaaat? That was a real textbook.

One version of the book does at least acknowledge that life is not always perfect on a plantation. For the master, anyway:

"No plantation had a model group of slaves, for planters had to buy whatever slaves they could get. Some slaves were good workers and very obedient. Many took pride in what they did, and loved their cabins and the plantation as much as if they actually owned them. Others were lazy, disobedient, and sometimes vicious."

And then there was that unfortunate War Between the States.

"The Southerners had a right under the law to own slaves, and the Southern states had a right under the law to leave the United States. Many Southerners did not want to leave the Union. But when Abraham Lincoln was elected president in 1860, the South felt that they had to leave the Union to keep their rights."

And this is what Alabama taught its children about the Ku Klux Klan:

"The loyal white men of Alabama saw they could not depend on the laws or the state government to protect their families. They knew they had to do something to bring back law and order, to get the government back in the hands of honest men who knew how to run it.

"They (the Klan) held their courts in the dark forests at night; they passed sentence on the criminals and they carried out the sentence. Sometimes the sentence would be to leave the state.

"After a while the Klan struck fear in the hearts of the "carpetbaggers" and other lawless men who had taken control of the state.... The Negroes who had been fooled by the false promises of the "carpetbaggers" decided to get themselves jobs and settle down to make an honest living.

"Many of the Negroes in the South remained loyal to the white Southerners. Even though they had lately been freed from slavery, even though they had no education, they knew who their friends were."

This is what Alabama taught, until after Martin Luther King Jr. (he got one mention in the 1970 book) was killed. This is what was taught to Legislators who now want to dabble in education, to encourage teachers to ignore accepted science and teach whatever they happen to believe about evolution, or climate change, or presumably alien abduction.

Education is not a priority in Alabama, and it never has been. The No. 1 priority is and always has been indoctrination.

It's not easy to examine who we really are. It is not easy to see who we really were. Historian Hardy Jackson recalls a student who came through his class at Jacksonville State after growing up learning only these, um, traditional views of history.

The student was shaken. When he finished Jackson's more honest look at history, he had the words for his professor.

"I feel like going out and shooting Ol' Yeller," he said.

The past – like any hard truth – is painful. But if we teach only what we want to believe, about history or science or anything else, the future will be worse.

fact
Nothing New
The Problem Is

Thanks for showing us all how ignorant you are, There are hundreds and thousands of slaves by in the sex industry in this country. There are millions of people enslaved world wide. You should join the superintendent's staff.

So you go from talking about race to sex? God you're dumb. I take it you're a Hilary type of girl?

Nothing New
The Problem Is
The experience of African Americans in this country does not compare to that of any people other than Native Americans.
I suppose some of you want to devalue the Native American experience too?

African American came here in chains and were brutally forced to work. Husbands, wives, children sold without regard for family ties. Women raped so frequently, a distinctive biracial look became common. The black man considered by our country to be 3/5 of the white man. After slavery ended blacks continued to be brutalized by this country. Sharecropping (similar to your indentured servitude), the Klan, all manner of preventing jobs, education, voting, land ownership, you name it. Jim Crow laws and segregation kept black progress down.

It's convenient to ignore the history of the African American in this country but that didn't mean it didn't happen and that this horrific history doesn't have an affect on people today.

Just look at how some of you are talking today. Here in the supposedly educated northeast.

Oh, there are plenty of slaves around today. It's just that they're almost exclusively in Asia and Africa.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/23/countries-with-most-slaves_n_6207628.html

Absolutely there are people on here saying their mind because I don't know who you all talk to but most of those I talk to have these same feelings and of course some of these people don't want to be called racist over their opinions so they do like to post anonymously. There is nothing racist about being against ILLLEGAL immigration. There is nothing racist about the true statement that the welfare system takes care of many in the inner city who have children with several different deadbeat dads who never have intention of paying a dime towards the rearing of them. Unless of course it's to spend $100 to buy them new Jordan's they'll grow out of in 4 months so everyone can tell tell them how fly there baby is. Their priorities are a$$ backwards and as long as they keep blaming the whites and/or slavery nothing is going to change.

Real Facts: For someone as educated and smart as you are, your posts around this topic are pretty dismaying. Whatever you are trying to prove is resulting in you looking like one of the hateful nutjobs that are filling this site on this link. You are better than that, or at least it seemed that way before.

FYI, maybe other parts of the world have more in the area of human trafficking, but certainly it has become a serious problem in the US as well.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/us/sex-trafficking/

facts that are real
Real Facts: For someone as educated and smart as you are, your posts around this topic are pretty dismaying. Whatever you are trying to prove is resulting in you looking like one of the hateful nutjobs that are filling this site on this link. You are better than that, or at least it seemed that way before.

FYI, maybe other parts of the world have more in the area of human trafficking, but certainly it has become a serious problem in the US as well.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/us/sex-trafficking/

Sir/Mam, I do believe you are confused. This thread is about the alleged racial issues in the Melrose Middle School. Why are you talking about Asia, Europe, and prostitutes?

Fascinating reading from the AL history book.

It was the FEDERAL government that had to come into AL & other southern states when these states continued to deny African American their basic rights, well after slavery had ended.

Just like the FEDERAL government had to come to Melrose, MA for civil right violations.

See, all ties up together.

huh?
facts that are real

Thank you, Ma'am. As I've stated previously, the opprobrium of morons is a badge of honor.

You're obviously too lazy or witless to follow the threads. My first comment was to to a ludicrous post about white privilege, pointing out that, if whites, specifically males, the modern world's whipping boys, were so privileged, why is their death rate is rising while all other demographics are falling.

The second post was to contradict a previous one which stated that no one alive today was a slave. Pretty simple for those of average intelligence to understand, and only little cognitive ability can excuse you.

Finally, the thing that defines the schizophrenic nature of the Left in this country, indeed around the world, is the constant carping that we're all the same, whereupon those same people spend the bulk of their time defining our differences. The word "hateful" is almost up to the level of "racist" as one which has lost all semantic content, like the Left's historic favorite, "Nazi". The last refuge of someone who has run out of ideas, if you will. As America, despite the corrective policies enacted over the years, becomes less egalitarian and more atomized, the more strident poltroons like you become with your buzzword accusations.

Just call me Bull Connor (a good Democrat, BTW) and be done with it, fool. I ALWAYS consider the source.

Federal government has created and fostered dependency on the federal government in the black community. Federal government has devalued and destroyed the concept of the traditional family in the black community. The concept of a 2 parent home in the black community is all but gone. The federal government and, more specifically, the democratic party, refuses to acknowledge this as a problem and instead, exploits this by trying to buy votes with more governmental aid to the black community instead of promoting self-sufficiency. This has created a generation of youth that have no clear sense of family or home and has sent a disproportionate number towards a life of crime and ultimately incarceration. Those from the black community that have found their way to college think that the rest of the world owes them something and instead of trying to better themselves; they are wasting their time whining about what others have. This feeds right into the left’s agenda as well as they are there to stoke the flames and tell them that all of their problems arise from the 1%. The reality is that the left’s systematic destruction of the traditional family in the black community is one of biggest obstacles to success to those growing up in the black community. These college campuses should focus on two things…(1) recognize that racism exists , but know that a march or a sit-in won’t cure it…only personal success will; (2) promote personal responsibility across all races and ethnicities. Get real and recognize that nobody is going is going to pay their way. Time to grab some bootstraps and make something of yourselves.

1 2