Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Middle School lunchroom fight

I understand that yet another ugly incident occurred at the middle school on Friday. Punches were thrown, lunch people were caught in the middle tying to break it up and the school day was disrupted. The girls involved in the fight were in classes the rest of the day. Kids were on tables taking videos and cheering on the fight. Who is really in charge of that school??? Kids or Administration??? What is it going to take to get control before someone gets really hurt?

Re: Middle School lunchroom fight

Ugh
I understand that yet another ugly incident occurred at the middle school on Friday. Punches were thrown, lunch people were caught in the middle tying to break it up and the school day was disrupted. The girls involved in the fight were in classes the rest of the day. Kids were on tables taking videos and cheering on the fight. Who is really in charge of that school??? Kids or Administration??? What is it going to take to get control before someone gets really hurt?

I'm sure both Taymore and Conway will do their best to keep this information from the public. Let's see who speaks up to tell the truth first in the administration....I'm hearing crickets again!

Now we will hear that Principal Conway does not have enough staff to watch the kids during lunch! Sounds like we will be hearing from Taymore about needing more facilitators - where have we heard this before?

Food fight!!!!!!!!

As a veteran/survivor of a few cafeteria fights at Melrose Jr. High decades ago I can say that I am happy I survived. While I was thinking of setting up a gofundme site to help with my victimhood; the reality is that I'm glad it happened. The occasional scrap in a public school is part of the background for most people over the age of 40. Our mothers weren't there to blame the school committee and the first question from our fathers would have been "what did you do?"
However, in today's culture everyone is a victim and the hyperliberal moonbats of Melrose have their typical pavlovian response of blaming the school committee for an issue that has happened virtually every year, in every school across the country for 100 years.

Boys will be boys; girls will be psychos

'Fraid I have to agree with Survivor on this one. Unless there is A LOT more to this episode, the bonfire that is the Melrose public school system does not need insignificant kindling!

Ok, while I do not condone violence, especially from kids, this is going to happen. Kids will be kids, but usually its boys. I do find the girl part of this a bit odd and trashy. And no that's not sexist so don't even try, its just a reality. Suspension for both and move on.

Where were the adults in this event? Perhaps this has been one of the cutbacks - fewer teachers to supervise lunch periods.

This fight nonsense is distraction from the serious issue with the school superintendent and her administrative team and principals: The repeated incidents of this administration criminally attacking parents and children using public resources, simply because they have filed a complaint with the administration.

MGL 268A, Section 25. An officer or employee of a county, city, town or district, howsoever formed, including, but not limited to, regional school districts and regional planning districts, or of any department, board, commission or agency thereof may, during any period such officer or employee is under indictment for misconduct in such office or employment or for misconduct in any elective or appointive public office, trust or employment at any time held by him, be suspended by the appointing authority, whether or not such appointment was subject to approval in any manner. Notice of said suspension shall be given in writing and delivered in hand to said person or his attorney, or sent by registered mail to said person at his residence, his place of business, or the office or place of employment from which he is being suspended. Such notice so given and delivered or sent shall automatically suspend the authority of such person to perform the duties of his office or employment until he is notified in like manner that his suspension is removed. A copy of any such notice together with an affidavit of service shall be filed as follows: in the case of a county, with the clerk of the superior court of the county in which the officer or employee is employed; in the case of a city, with the city clerk; in the case of a town, with the town clerk; in the case of a regional school district, with the secretary of the regional school district; and in the case of all other districts, with the clerk of the district.

Any person so suspended shall not receive any compensation or salary during the period of suspension, nor shall the period of his suspension be counted in computing his sick leave or vacation benefits or seniority rights, nor shall any person who retires from service while under such suspension be entitled to any pension or retirement benefits, notwithstanding any contrary provisions of law, but all contributions paid by him into a retirement fund, if any, shall be returned to him, subject to section 15 of chapter 32. The employer of a person so suspended shall immediately notify the retirement system of which the person is a member of the suspension and shall notify the retirement board of the outcome of any charges brought against the individual.