Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Relax

To all of you helicopter parents who have nothing better to do than blow every single thing that goes on at your children's schools completely out of proportion,

WE ARE ALL FINE.

There is nothing happening at any Melrose schools that is not happening at every school across the country. Our school is not special in any way. Stop trying to fix what's not broken and work on preventing your child from being a sheltered, disrespectful, and needy brat.

Re: Relax

MHS Student
To all of you helicopter parents who have nothing better to do than blow every single thing that goes on at your children's schools completely out of proportion,

WE ARE ALL FINE.

There is nothing happening at any Melrose schools that is not happening at every school across the country. Our school is not special in any way. Stop trying to fix what's not broken and work on preventing your child from being a sheltered, disrespectful, and needy brat.

Spoken by a true pampered, isolated, and ill-informed child who has little or no sense of what goes on in the world around you or little knowledge of the underlining school issues we all deal with - with this school administration. Now go back to class and study hard because you have great competition out in the real world and need to spend you time more prudently than trying to lecture us!

MFD, you are a jackwagon.
That was a great point by the MHS student. You and the cast of Melrose haters out here should shut your mouth and listen for once. The kids are fine. The histrionics of Melrosemessages do not exist in the real worl.
This is exactly who you should hear from. The people that should not lecture the Melrose community are the parents that send their kids to private high schools and then write letters to the free press.

I bet you are not an MHS student. Your post was too well-written. The kids at MHS who would be able to write coherently know how bad things are. I bet you are one of the sanctimonious parents who stick their heads in the sand or someone from the administration trying to downplay everything.

Yeah I guess your right... I must not be a student at a Public High School because I am able to write properly.

GOD FORBID I be able to write as well as someone who pays money to go to a school where we get the same education.

MHS Student
Yeah I guess your right... I must not be a student at a Public High School because I am able to write properly.

GOD FORBID I be able to write as well as someone who pays money to go to a school where we get the same education.

Now, we KNOW you are not a student. The only people who care about such things are crazy, homer parents.

MHS Student

Not too good at reading comprehension bud. I never said it had to be a private school kid. I said the kids at MHS who can write properly are aware of all the problems at MHS. Talk to the top 10-20 students in YOUR class, and see what they think,

Next, you'll wiggle and say you are one of those kids. Pathetic imposter who can't pass a reading comprehension test.

This poster (not student) sounds like "clown patrol" to me.

Don't forget what today is! [:)]

MHS Student

Your right?

Jackwagon
The people that should not lecture the Melrose community are the parents that send their kids to private high schools and then write letters to the free press.

Does Colleen Murphy have children?
Do the Murphy children attend private school?
Did the Murphy children start school in the MPS but then transfer to another school?
I do not know Colleen Murphy or her situation but everyone has the right to write.

Maybe the parents who send their children to private schools had disastrous experiences in the MPS. Maybe parents who sacrifice to pay for private education have no confidence in the MPS. Maybe the best parents to "lecture the Melrose community" are ones whose perspective is not influenced by the pressures of the MEF gang and the ineffectual politicians. Maybe the most helpful people to "write letters to the Free Press" are ones who are willing to put themselves on the line and speak out about the repeated failings of the Superintendent and the MPS Administrative Team who hurt our children every day.

If the post above is really from an MHS student and not some 'older child' it demonstrates how bad the schools really are.

"MHS Student" is proud that the "school is not special in any way." "MHS Student" must be a very good student who learned what was taught. She learned the lesson taught by the Melrose Schools administration and school committee that hanging at the state average is a lofty enough goal; no reason to reach any higher; rest on those laurels.

"MHS Student" also learned that if something doesn't appear broken to an uncritical eye, it isn't. Young children don't start off that way. They ask, "Why?" They want to run faster and longer, build higher, kick the ball farther and more accurately. After years beaten down in the Melrose schools, though, a child learns that it's best not to attempt to be better. They learn all is fine just as it is. There is no use in trying to do better. Nothing is broken.

"MHS Student" wrote about keeping a child from becoming a sheltered, disrespectful and needy brat. By the very post above, "MHS Student" proves she is exactly sheltered, disrespectful, and a characteristically needing to feel comfortable with the status quo.

Everyone must recognize that this site bears very little resemblance to reality. College acceptances are coming in and MHS kids are again getting into great schools (multiple Ivy acceptances). We have great examples of Metco students moving on to bigger and better things after graduation. We have grads from a few years ago getting great jobs after graduating college as well as some moving into medical schools and other great graduate programs.
Long time readers of this site know that the main contributors to this site are parents that have chosen to send their kids to one of the crappy local private schools and they regret their choice. There are all kinds of positive things happening. Those of us that live in the real world know that.

Chill
Long time readers of this site know that the main contributors to this site are parents that have chosen to send their kids to one of the crappy local private schools and they regret their choice. There are all kinds of positive things happening. Those of us that live in the real world know that.

Yup - it's April Fool's Day alright. Of course, your idiotic contentions aren't limited to just today, are they?

Chill
Everyone must recognize that this site bears very little resemblance to reality. College acceptances are coming in and MHS kids are again getting into great schools (multiple Ivy acceptances). We have great examples of Metco students moving on to bigger and better things after graduation. We have grads from a few years ago getting great jobs after graduating college as well as some moving into medical schools and other great graduate programs.

Ask those MHS kids that got into the Ivies and other top schools, after graduation, how much the school system helped them. Those kids got in (1) DESPITE the MPS system, (2) with the help of teachers now long gone or looking for a way out in order to protect themselves from the toxic environment of MPS and (3) with the help of very involved and supportive families. So, once again, your private school whine is simply a red herring, Ask the kids who succeed at MHS after they can leave the cesspool that is MHS what they think. I dare you. They will tell you of the many ways the school system fails all kids at MPS. You do not get to use their personal accomplishments as your spin control tool. Shame on you. Read Colleen Murphy's letter. You must be one of the "Authors" or someone from the utterly failed and spineless administration.

I live in the real world. I send my kids to school in Melrose, go to every event, support the teachers in any way I can, hold my nose and go to all the events with the awful MEF moms when I have to, bite my tongue for the sake of my kids, and hope that all the work we do outside of school will counteract what goes on there, so that my kids will someday be kind, successful adults. I genuinely want the schools to be great in every way.
I also watch every school committee meeting, and feel nothing short of embarrasment at the behavior, public speaking ability, and ideas of our superintendent. I also read about the OCR findings, the Kick a Ginger Day fiasco, the fine arts debacle, and the constant budget/raise/PR monies with great frustration. I also listen to my dear friends who have issues with their kids that I am lucky enough not to have to deal with. I hear how they have been treated by the administration and the SPED department, and it is quite disheartening.
I started reading this board, thinking it would be a bunch of nonsense, but I have found that it is the only place where people can talk freely about what is really happening in this city, without fear of being an outcast. There are many people in town who are like me- we are trying to stay in the public schools- no desire to go the private route- but we are worried. Can any of you blind supporters of the schools understand that? There are things to be worried about. Those school committee meetings are shocking sometimes. Our superintendent sounds absurd at times. The way that community members are spoken to is horrifying at times. The lack of any real dialogue about the problems that exist is sickening. I do not trust any of those people on the school committee. I may not have always agreed with CKK, but at least she was injecting some accountability to a process that just feels phony (How can it be that she was able to provide numerous examples of failures on the part of CT, and every single other person on the committee evaluated CT to be exemplary?) It seems to someone on the outside that it is all just a shady group of people who couldn't care less about kids.
Now, go ahead and tear into me- tell me to get out of town if I think it is so bad. That is why I have to bite my tongue in the real world. And again, this is the only outlet people have to be honest.

Strange. Colleen Murphy sounded so much like C.K. or G.M. Same writing class I guess,

The Village Voice
Strange. Colleen Murphy sounded so much like C.K. or G.M. Same writing class I guess,

You're not very observant. Nothing "strange" at all. This isn't CK or GM, and Ms. Murphy has identified herself clearly in the past (she is a local parent/attorney). You just don't like anything that's longer than a paragraph (unless you wrote it), and you've made your limitations clear before. You're not the voice for all of us, by the way. My family thinks Ms. Murphy and Ms. Kourkoumelis (and Mr. Mroz) are outstanding citizens who have done incredible service for our community.

The Village Voice

If you think someone else is using Carrie or Mroz as puppets, you obviously have never spoken with either one. Perhaps Colleen Murphy is informed, can see through the PR machine of Melrose, has good thinking skills, and can write a rational letter, just as the other two. At least Melrose has three people willing to stand up for what's right.

Chill

You've heard the term New England prep school right? Might come as a surprise to you that many of those revered schools are close to Melrose. Then we have our Catholic schools such as St. John's and BC High. If you want to compare colleges acceptances with these schools, Melrose is going to lose.
It shouldn't be about winning or losing though. It seems that many people on here are trying to say that there are glaring problems in the Melrose school system and the people running the system are not open to hearing about it and are definitely not trying to fix it in any real way.
The majority of people on here most likely have or had children in the MPS. For those who left, why do you think they regret that decision? Do you worry that your children would have done better elsewhere?

So this supposed student thinks its okay for teachers to slap students? Use racially hostile language toward students? And then file false police reports and false harassment prevention orders against kids and parents after they file complaints? Really? This is just not about you, Bud.

MHS Student

WE ARE ALL FINE.

The jig is up you are clearly not a teenager. You're a wacked out millennial generation parent. Have the huevos to post as the adult you are.