Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fake Beebe opening budget

Here is the Mayor's fake inflated budget costs for "re-opening" the Beebe School, even though it is a fully functioning active SPED school under lease with the SEEM Collaborative who only pay $215k (includes utilities). Their lease expired July 1, 2016 but you can bet Dolan offered it for another three years to his SEEM buddies (one of who is Cyndy Taymore on the SEEM Board of Directors).

Meanwhile, taxpayers will foot the millions for temporary trailers (10 yr life) that will be attached to the FRONT of the school (out on the Damon Road side) in the case of Horace Mann. Won't that just look lovely? Level three accommodations for the principal's self-made level three school. Wow, what a mess.

Analysis of School District Expansion Options
Department of Public Works & OPCD
Preliminary Assessment of Costs -- Re-Opening of Beebe School
Building Infrastructure Improvements $840,000
Building Access Upgrades & Repairs and Security $180,000
Lighting Upgrades $50,000
ESCO & HVAC Upgrades $370,000
Outdoor Upgrades $125,000
Interior Renovations & Cleaning $115,000
Furnishings, Fixtures & Equipment $300,000
Technology $300,000
Subtotal $1,440,000
20% contingency $288,000
Total $1,728,000
Say $1,750,000
3-Jun-16
These costs are preliminary in nature and based on costs of prior work completed within school buildings.
The work will bring the Beebe up to par with other elementary schools within the City where similar work
has taken place over the last five years.
It is important to note that this option will result in the loss of rental income currently @ $215,000
annually; and result in additional annual operating costs to fund a custodian, utilities & supplies and snow
removal in the DPW budget; and additional administrative costs to fund a principal, teachers and staff in
the School Department budget

Re: Fake Beebe opening budget

215K /utilities included and the lease is up?

The rental loss was strongly implied to be much more and I kept hearing about breaking the 3 year lease. I'm not going to get into those inflated reopening figures because the public was misled about the 1st 2 pieces of information and that's all I need to know.

Obviously the mayor wanted the trailers, which is fine but there has to be a better way for him to get his way.[:-|]

I hope it didn't come as too much of a disappointment to you. I don't believe a word he says any more. After all, that's what spoiled brats do when they want to get their way - they'll do or say anything, including lying through their teeth.

How curious that the SEEM collaborative students will be entering this building in September with no work necessary. That is because Dolan is fabricating this nonsense. Check the SEEM collaborative website; the Beebe is ready for occupancy right now and would be for Melrose kindergarteners as well.

Fabricated nonsense
How curious that the SEEM collaborative students will be entering this building in September with no work necessary. That is because Dolan is fabricating this nonsense. Check the SEEM collaborative website; the Beebe is ready for occupancy right now and would be for Melrose kindergarteners as well.

More than just kindergarteners. They should open it up as a regular school again. Open to all grades in the neighborhood.

I was always befuddled as to why the Mayor closed the best performing school in the District. As I recall, it was the school he could get away closing with the least political blowback.

Because he's an education expert. Just ask him.