Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Raid

Weekly News - (writing about the modular classrooms)

The city of Melrose will be providing funding for half of the cost of these modules. Superintendent Taymore says the rest of the funding will most likely come from the cities facilities account."

Re: Another Raid

If that information is accurate then where the heck did this city get 1.25 million dollars from the current budget? We were told by the Mayor and Taymore that these portable classrooms would cost 2.5 million dollars and that was why they were going to be bonded since the city hasn't the money! Now we have 1.25 million dollars to spend on these? Of course this doesn't include the extra money needed to finance the teacher salary increases expected soon. We seem to be flushed with money but they continue to cut positions at the high school and play musical chairs with vacant admin staff - because they can't afford to go out and pay higher salaries for more qualified candidates!

Would someone kindly tell me what universe we are all living in so that I can move to it - because right now - my universe is different from that of the Mayor's!

MFD
If that information is accurate then where the heck did this city get 1.25 million dollars from the current budget? We were told by the Mayor and Taymore that these portable classrooms would cost 2.5 million dollars and that was why they were going to be bonded since the city hasn't the money! Now we have 1.25 million dollars to spend on these? Of course this doesn't include the extra money needed to finance the teacher salary increases expected soon. We seem to be flushed with money but they continue to cut positions at the high school and play musical chairs with vacant admin staff - because they can't afford to go out and pay higher salaries for more qualified candidates!

Would someone kindly tell me what universe we are all living in so that I can move to it - because right now - my universe is different from that of the Mayor's!
]

This is so typical. When have they ever told the public the truth?

The superintendent and mayor always find a way of getting money and it's usually from the special needs funds.

The taxes are so high the city has more than $2,700,000 in cash left over from last year. It's not right they can overtax and have a spending spree.

The mayor himself said during a BOA mtg that these ugly creations will cost upwards of $4.5 OR MORE (because they really did not do their homework, have no idea what they're doing or care how much it will cost in the end). They will cheat, lie, manipulate to do whatever they want with our tax dollars, just like they've been doing all along.

All their causes and not special needs.