Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Drinking problem

Summer in Melrose is a absolute booze fest for the HS and yes, MS kids. The City organizes nothing for these kids to do or to be involved in so all they do is go out and drink. Even worse, the cops just break up the parties and don't call the parents, the school or the organizations that are suppose to help prevent this type of illegal behavior. Parents need to be more involved and hands on as does does the police force and the schools. It takes a village and as I see it the parents are on their own in this one.

Re: Drinking problem

Drugs are rampant. All the bull**** with the birth to 5 crap and the MEF "grants"...Parents need to wake up to the secondary schools mess and the inexperienced school administrators which will be learning on the job. Can't wait to see MF's first budget presentation. The largest slice of the city pie will be "managed" by Farrell !!!!

Drugs, Too
Drugs are rampant. All the bull**** with the birth to 5 crap and the MEF "grants"...Parents need to wake up to the secondary schools mess and the inexperienced school administrators which will be learning on the job. Can't wait to see MF's first budget presentation. The largest slice of the city pie will be "managed" by Farrell !!!!

After being reminded about Farrell's new school job - time to get a drink!

Another priceless post from one of the of Bozo's trolling Melrose. It's becoming very clear that the central theme of the Bozo Brigade is that they want to blame anyone and everyone because their kids have issues, their houses are falling down and their life is a mess. You clowns think that because you sign your kid up for kindergarten when they turn 5 that you can relinquish your job as a parent to the City of Melrose. The poor behavior in school, the underage drinking, the bad grades...thats on the parents...and the parents who get it have kids that do great in Melrose Public Schools...and the ones that don't blame the City. and whine all over Melrose Messages. This fool wants to blame the City for underaged, unsupervised drinking when school is out for summer break. It doesn't take a village to prevent underage drinking...it takes a parent keeping an eye on their kids and not tolerating it. Just like it takes a parent to tell their kid to behave in school, respect adults and classmates and do their homework. But you clowns don't get it, and this post from "booze" sums it all up.

The schools are a mess and take a disportinate amount of our tax money. The kids are spoiled and their parents are unrealistic about how much more $ can be given to a sinking ship to the detriment of other city departments, personnel and buildings. The economy has slowed and hard choices must be made. Parents need to get realistic and adjust their expectations.

Right on, Booze. There should be more for the kids to do but the parents are total enablers of this. Parents are going away for weekends or even weeks while letting their kids stay home. The kids would invite over their friends for some drinking and the parents do not care as they are boozing it up themselves. Spoiled brats.

Agree with "Messy Costs" (spelling correction aside). The City of Melrose budget allocations are out of proportion when it comes to the schools. Instead of bonding for building the new "study commons" at MHS, the schools should address the substance abuse problem in this city. We have a bunch of unhappy kids who are being taught and "administered" by unhappy people. Our SC Chair is unhinged, the felon is useless and the rest of the committee show no leadership or courage. What about the neglect of our Public Safety buildings? What about the outrageous amount paid to John Cinella's estate for a few parking spaces? What about the BOA Health Insurance for Life? What about the water and sewer rates which the DPW and PDR manipulate? What budget item paid for 4 Corners and the Summer Stroll? Costs and slush funds are hidden.

The kids are drinking, the parents are drinking and Narcan use is frequent. But I do not expect any honest discussion about the addiction problems. Keep up the "appearance" of Brigadoon! We need courage and leadership in our City but there is no one currently qualified.

I went to MHS over 25 years ago and I drank nearly every weekend. I then went off to college and met other kids from all over the country. Guess what??? they did the same thing. Stop trying to pretend this is a Melrose issue. Teen drinking is prevalent across the US. Many of us can remember an 18 year old drinking age. Shut up and stop trying to blame everything on the city. If your kids drinks, discipline him or her yourself; it doesn't mean they are evil...just normal. If your kid is a little sh*thead, it is probably your fault.

It happens
I went to MHS over 25 years ago and I drank nearly every weekend. I then went off to college and met other kids from all over the country. Guess what??? they did the same thing. Stop trying to pretend this is a Melrose issue. Teen drinking is prevalent across the US. Many of us can remember an 18 year old drinking age. Shut up and stop trying to blame everything on the city. If your kids drinks, discipline him or her yourself; it doesn't mean they are evil...just normal. If your kid is a little sh*thead, it is probably your fault.

It is so nice to hear from a past MHS drinker - that in the past 25 years, you haven't learned much! I guess you probably were too drunk to learn much back then as well as today. Society agrees that too much drinking by high schoolers is not a good thing - and should be frowned upon and definitely not encouraged or accepted as "normal" - this just leads to bad things both for the student and people who live around and interact with him/her - and of curse this behavior dovetails nicely with all the drug problems we have in Melrose.

25 years ago! Did your parents know you were out drinking or did you and your beer bellied buddies sneak it somehwere? The difference today is parents ae letting them do it under their noses.

Bud
25 years ago! Did your parents know you were out drinking or did you and your beer bellied buddies sneak it somehwere? The difference today is parents ae letting them do it under their noses.

Some parents- not all parents - like an earlier poster's parents.

This thread is just filled with people who were losers in high school. Like one poster already alluded to kids are going to drink it has always happened and it will always happen. Don't blame the police and the schools because you are a sub-par parent. It's called parenting for a reason try it sometime. if you don't like what your kids are doing address it with them. Parenting is not difficult when commonsense is applied this is not rocket science.

Guy
This thread is just filled with people who were losers in high school.
And that would include you, Guy. [:-D]

Shameful
Guy

Never, ever accept bad or destructive behavior - especially from your own kids! Preventing this is called "parenting" - for some parents this is too challenging or not in their experience while growing up - this is sad - but more sadly - affects society in a negative way! We see these results constantly in our newspaper and internet headlines - drug overdoses and death, highway carnage, family disintegration and breakup, a preponderance of despair and depression among our kids - o.k. for some they say - "Let's accept this as the new normal!"

I say - fight against it with every once of energy and commitment one can conjure up - because - our kids are worth it!

Booze
Summer in Melrose is a absolute booze fest for the HS and yes, MS kids. The City organizes nothing for these kids to do or to be involved in so all they do is go out and drink. Even worse, the cops just break up the parties and don't call the parents, the school or the organizations that are suppose to help prevent this type of illegal behavior. Parents need to be more involved and hands on as does does the police force and the schools. It takes a village and as I see it the parents are on their own in this one.

Sorry, Booze, but this "village" thing sometimes is taken to an extreme and used as an excuse for bad behavior! There are numerous programs both in school and outside organizations to help parents and kids from these bad behaviors. Many times - these are not enough and the parents need to do their parenting thing - this "takes a village thing" that some politicians use as a deflection of their own incompetence, is misplaced in these situations.

Shameful
Guy

Glad you took your time with that comeback. Must have taken hours to drum up that gem.

MFD
Booze

Sorry, Booze, but this "village" thing sometimes is taken to an extreme and used as an excuse for bad behavior! There are numerous programs both in school and outside organizations to help parents and kids from these bad behaviors. Many times - these are not enough and the parents need to do their parenting thing - this "takes a village thing" that some politicians use as a deflection of their own incompetence, is misplaced in these situations.

The point is that the "other organizations" and the police are not doing their jobs. They aren't helping the parents and in many cases they aren't even telling the parents or the school when kids are caught drinking.

"Old time Melrose" are really just trashy people who are low class. Even when they get money, they remain low class. They blame everyone else for their problems, and think living in Melrose means their crap doesn't stink. If they grew up in Melrose but now live in Saugus because they can't afford Melrose, they blame it on liberals, immigrants, democrats or fill in the blank. They want Melrose to remain like it was 50 years ago. All white and filled with people who moved here from Everett. Get a life. Melrose used to be for people who really couldn't afford other places. Now their kids think they are something special and entitled to something they never earned.

Old drunks just pass it on to their kids.

Doobie
MFD
Booze

The point is that the "other organizations" and the police are not doing their jobs. They aren't helping the parents and in many cases they aren't even telling the parents or the school when kids are caught drinking.

This isn't 50 years ago. Cops in Melrose actually have calls for service. So in between everything they have going on you want them to also babysit YOUR children? Once again, it is not on the schools or cops to watch YOUR kids. Keep an eye on them, disincline them if you must, but DO NOT blame others.

ick
"Old time Melrose" are really just trashy people who are low class. Even when they get money, they remain low class. They blame everyone else for their problems, and think living in Melrose means their crap doesn't stink. If they grew up in Melrose but now live in Saugus because they can't afford Melrose, they blame it on liberals, immigrants, democrats or fill in the blank. They want Melrose to remain like it was 50 years ago. All white and filled with people who moved here from Everett. Get a life. Melrose used to be for people who really couldn't afford other places. Now their kids think they are something special and entitled to something they never earned.

Old drunks just pass it on to their kids.

Exaggerate much?

Truth spoken
Doobie
MFD
Booze

This isn't 50 years ago. Cops in Melrose actually have calls for service. So in between everything they have going on you want them to also babysit YOUR children? Once again, it is not on the schools or cops to watch YOUR kids. Keep an eye on them, disincline them if you must, but DO NOT blame others.

Ok, so you're advocating for the police to not inform parents or the school when underage kids are caught drinking and doing drugs? Aren't those calls too?

Drugs, Too

Weekend Narcan use has been frequent all summer long.
Has the city hired the newly funded "Substance Abuse" coordinator position for the health department?

Truth Spoken
Pleeze
Ok, so you're advocating for the police to not inform parents or the school when underage kids are caught drinking and doing drugs? Aren't those calls too?[/quote

How do YOU know they aren't doing that? And I say that with pure curiosity. Now playing devils advocate, say the Officer locks up one of your children for the heinous crime of "drinking under age". Then the Officer is in the wrong twice? Can't be cool and let the kids walk away, but also can't arrest them. Third option you say? Just call the parents? So we the public now tell the Police how to do their jobs? Is that what this is coming too? "Officer you will not arrest nor will you allow my child to walk away. Ill break free from my wine and book club night and be on my way."

Feel bad for the cops, guys can't win no matter which route they take. Good luck boys in blue, you'll need it.

How do YOU know they aren't doing that? And I say that with pure curiosity. Now playing devils advocate, say the Officer locks up one of your children for the heinous crime of "drinking under age". Then the Officer is in the wrong twice? Can't be cool and let the kids walk away, but also can't arrest them. Third option you say? Just call the parents? So we the public now tell the Police how to do their jobs? Is that what this is coming too? "Officer you will not arrest nor will you allow my child to walk away. Ill break free from my wine and book club night and be on my way."

Feel bad for the cops, guys can't win no matter which route they take. Good luck boys in blue, you'll need it.

The Police Department is understaffed and undervalued. The police station is a visual symbol of how much first responders are respected. The elected officials should be ashamed of their neglect when they look in the mirror!

Elected officials - ashamed. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Another child OD in Stoneham last week.

I know a few more that need more than a drink!

understaffed and undervalued
The Police Department is understaffed and undervalued. The police station is a visual symbol of how much first responders are respected. The elected officials should be ashamed of their neglect when they look in the mirror!

This is so true look at the police department. Not acceptable Rob Dolan who would do this to the men and women that protect your city everyday. Another beautiful student from Melrose OD last week may they RIP.

All staff is going home and drinking, because Ct will give no help to the teachers.

OD

This is so true look at the police department. Not acceptable Rob Dolan who would do this to the men and women that protect your city everyday. Another beautiful student from Melrose OD last week may they RIP.
Do you mean the 2014 MHS grad who was living in Wakefield? Sad because she should have had her entire life ahead of her. My heart breaks for her family.

Too Soon
OD

Do you mean the 2014 MHS grad who was living in Wakefield? Sad because she should have had her entire life ahead of her. My heart breaks for her family.

The drug and alcohol problem in Melrose is out of control and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. Kids are caught drinking in the woods and at house parties and the cops just break it up and send them home. No disciplinary action ever taken by the police or the schools and we are losing kids to drugs and alcohol. It's shameful that Melrose turns a blind eye to this. I know other school districts check social media for evidence of kids drinking or doing drugs and then they take action and discipline the kids even if the parents are too lame to do it themselves.

Just last week a 15 year old from Tewksbury died after his head was smashed at a drinking party. Melrose needs to take action on this NOW.

Blaming the schools, City Hall or the police for underage drinking and drug use is the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen. There isn't an underage teen in Melrose that is drinking without there parents knowledge. Same with Marijuana. Blaming the same groups for high school graduates is even more so.

The modern era of parenting has way to many parents asking the government to be responsible for their kids upbringing and social values. Racism? Blame the schools, teenage drinking? Oh, that's the Mayors fault. Disrespectful kids? School Committee's fault. Lousy grades? Blame the superintendent. Drug use? All three...don't you know the police have a crappy building?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Responsibility begins at home...and if you are blaming other people for your child's behavior and grades I fear for their future.

"Grad Night" funds are down....city and MPS don't fund....the MEF should help them.

The MEF (and MPS "leaders") don't give a **** about the high school. The entitled, narcissistic parents only care about the EEC and kindergarten classes which is partly why the override went down.

Stupid People
Blaming the schools, City Hall or the police for underage drinking and drug use is the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen. There isn't an underage teen in Melrose that is drinking without there parents knowledge. Same with Marijuana. Blaming the same groups for high school graduates is even more so.

The modern era of parenting has way to many parents asking the government to be responsible for their kids upbringing and social values. Racism? Blame the schools, teenage drinking? Oh, that's the Mayors fault. Disrespectful kids? School Committee's fault. Lousy grades? Blame the superintendent. Drug use? All three...don't you know the police have a crappy building?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Responsibility begins at home...and if you are blaming other people for your child's behavior and grades I fear for their future.

If they schools and the police are not enforcing the rules and imposing consequences then what's the point of having them? That's what the kids have learned from the police and their school. It's okay to drink and do drugs because there are no consequences. Their parents can yell, punish, try to teach and ground them but, if the schools and the police negate this everything is backwards. Parents, schools and police are suppose to work together on keeping our children safe and healthy. When all parties are dropping the ball then we have the problems that we currently have in Melrose.

What does the Melrose Substance Abuse Program do anyway? I'm guessing it's just another no show City Hall job where they collect a full salary, benefits and work part time/flex hours. I understand they are dropping their funding of Grad Night which is a drug and alcohol free night for kids on gradation night. Thanks a lot. Where are your funds going?

I couldn't agree more, it's not crappy parenting at fault here it's the police department that is running with less officer's on the street than it had in the 1940's even though the population is rising everyday with new condos popping up everywhere. One of the three officer's that are on the street should lock up a teenage drinker and tie themselves up for four hours and leave only two on the street, never mind the fact the police building is not equipped to hold a juvenile so the same officer needs to babysit your precious children until they are bailed or picked up by a juvenile facility, and when Monday comes around the charge is dropped because it's a juvenile after all.

staff
All staff is going home and drinking, because Ct will give no help to the teachers.[/quote

This is a true statement most of the teachers cant wait to go home and drink with what they have to put up with. The school should have a modules come for the staff that need help in a AA program.

drink
staff
All staff is going home and drinking, because Ct will give no help to the teachers.[/quote

This is a true statement most of the teachers cant wait to go home and drink with what they have to put up with. The school should have a modules come for the staff that need help in a AA program.

Work with some teachers that do drink after school. It might help with the stress or the schools, teachers, staff, principals and administration that is putting a enormous amount of strain on the employees.

The staff that drink and come to school the next day are not as flexible to work with at all.

staff that drink
The staff that drink and come to school the next day are not as flexible to work with at all.
Hungover teachers are cranky teachers.

The coaches should give a pep talk to the football players about drinking. There is a critical time when its the last game and on-to the Thanksgiving Game that players feel they can drink WRONG! As a parent of a player I would kindly appreciate a talk to the football team. I am aware of the problems in the past with the team.

Coaches, I give you permission to give a pep talk to the players on drinking.

Don't bother asking that drunk SF. He was the biggest drunk when he played football for MHS. He was also the stereo typical kick like in the movies Trump talking the cheerleaders, like he ever got a piece of ass from any decent girl. He's Mr. Tubesock. Look at his wife. WOOF and what a filthy mouth on her. The racist and the potty mouth

Still waiting for the MM crowd to understand parental responsibility. Its the parents job to deal with their children's drinking. Passing the responsibility to the City, schools or police is a cowards way out and works only until your little superstar gets arrested...dozens of parents have sat in a meetings with police and school admin over the years and lied right to their faces when asked if their kids were drinking. The facebook pictures from a few years back told the schools and cops all they needed to know. Between denials, tears and lawyers the parents humiliated themselves. Keep your own kid in the house and punish them when you catch them drinking. Stop shoving the responsibility to everyone else.

Jim Beam
Still waiting for the MM crowd to understand parental responsibility. Its the parents job to deal with their children's drinking. Passing the responsibility to the City, schools or police is a cowards way out and works only until your little superstar gets arrested...dozens of parents have sat in a meetings with police and school admin over the years and lied right to their faces when asked if their kids were drinking. The facebook pictures from a few years back told the schools and cops all they needed to know. Between denials, tears and lawyers the parents humiliated themselves. Keep your own kid in the house and punish them when you catch them drinking. Stop shoving the responsibility to everyone else.
Most effective would be a combined effort. Parents and the community. Of course parents play a huge role setting expectations, punishments and leading by example. The community such as the police and schools would do well to back this up.

To all coaches I give my permission to give the football players a pep talk before the Thanksgiving Day game its a critical time for the players. I know its happened many times before so just to give a talk would help. I have also talked to my son as a parent.

Jack Daniels
Jim Beam
Most effective would be a combined effort. Parents and the community. Of course parents play a huge role setting expectations, punishments and leading by example. The community such as the police and schools would do well to back this up.

Most effective would be putting a patrol down by Swains Pond Road between 8 and 10 pm on any given Friday and Saturday night. This is where all the teens swarm down on foot towards Knox Memorial Park, Swains Pond and Rocky View Park where they party and drink with their friends. The whole world knows this.[:-?]

Bud
Jack Daniels
Jim Beam

Most effective would be putting a patrol down by Swains Pond Road between 8 and 10 pm on any given Friday and Saturday night. This is where all the teens swarm down on foot towards Knox Memorial Park, Swains Pond and Rocky View Park where they party and drink with their friends. The whole world knows this.[:-?]

whoooooo caresses. Much worse things going on in our world. Kids are going to drink whether you bust them or not. THEY'RE KIDS.

wah
Bud
Jack Daniels
Jim Beam

whoooooo caresses. Much worse things going on in our world. Kids are going to drink whether you bust them or not. THEY'RE KIDS.

This is the new way of parenting just let the minor children do what they want. Love the new parents out in the world that let the kids say and do anything. Parents think its up to the schools to fixes the problems the parents already made.

wah
Bud
Jack Daniels
Jim Beam

Great idea to let them drink because they are kids. Should we also say who cares to hard drugs like heroine, drunk driving, unprotected sex, stealing, failing in school, etc.......? Or, should we try and teach our children right from wrong?

Drinking under 21 is against the law for a reason and because of that parents, police and the schools should all do the opposite of saying who cares. They should care in a big way.

If anyone's looking for Foe -garty to teach your children right from wrong don't hold your breath. Do you really believe going from lead Asst. Principal of MHS to Sports Director is a promotion? If so, I have some swamp land to sell you. Too many complaints againsot him racial and what not. Do what the superintendent tells you to do and put it in writing and wha la, you've still got a job. Now go convince those football players of yours not drink before the big game. They'll listen to you coach just like you listened when you played, lol.

1 2