Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dress Code For Gym Class?

Someone help me here. My kid told me that the middle school gym teachers now require all students to arrive to class this year in either red, white, grey or black sneakers, shirts, shorts and sweatpants or they will lose points on their final grade. I find this hard to believe. I now have to go out and refit my kid with colors to the liking of the gym teachers at a minimum $200 expense? What is wrong with the other colors of the spectrum? I thought we were getting away from the "RED" Raiders name as some found it possibly derogatory to native Americans? Can anyone confirm this rather bizarre dress code coming out of nowhere? I didn't see anything in the student handbook. Anyone who can confirm, please let me know.

Re: Dress Code For Gym Class?

Unbelievably.

They need to bring back the red shorts with the white piping and the red shirt. Given w/o charge to every student.

Middle School Parent: Please do something about this. Inform the superintendent. Speak to Aaron Leibowitz of the Free Press (he's easy to reach). This kind of thing is just ludicrous and not justifiable. Aside from the stupidity of trying to have conforming colors, the additional expense for parents is not acceptable. Don't just go and spend the money. Stand up, not only for your family budget, but for common sense and against this kind of stupidity and tyranny. This kind of mentality perfectly characterizes what's going on, and it needs to be exposed and eliminated. Aside from all the obvious wrongs here, there is the fact that many families simply cannot afford to be buying new "gym shoes" of a certain color. That is discriminatory and so typical of the gross insensitivity of this administration, trickling down through the ranks. The gym/PE/wellness faculty are among the worst when it comes to caring about these things, believing it's entirely justified to send home any demand for money, equipment, fund-raisers, etc. The principal at that school is a total jerk. Common sense needs to be restored.

I have a child in MVMMS and all that is required are sneakers and clothing appropriate for gym class. They try to get new 6th graders to buy the gym "uniform" but it is in no way required.

I agree, it isn't an issue. No reason to call the press - that would be an exciting topic - middle school gym uniforms. My kids have never worn uniforms or anything conforming and they have all been fine.

Believe it or not, sporting goods and uniform sales rep do call on school administrations to try and get their products
adopted. Who knows what "perks" go along with a successful sales call. See you at Target.

The MPS staff must be reading Melrose Messages against the Mayor's orders. Gym teachers told the kids today not to tell their parents about the dress code and they don't have to spend $200 for new clothing, but just see if they have the right colors in their closet or around the house. But the color restrictions still stand. Shhhhh!

"the right colors"?

This wouldn't be the first time that MPS staff told students "not to tell their parents" about something. TM used to do this sort of thing all the time. It's the typical mode of pedophiles, too....

Despite what the gym teachers are saying to the students, there is no written dress code that covers the issue of what colors you can wear for sneaker and gym attire, and even if there were, it appears to be unenforceable in Massachusetts for public schools. If they are serious about taking points off for wearing the wrong colors, there will be serious H-LL to pay for administrators and they know it.

Style police
Someone help me here. My kid told me that the middle school gym teachers now require all students to arrive to class this year in either red, white, grey or black sneakers, shirts, shorts and sweatpants or they will lose points on their final grade. I find this hard to believe. I now have to go out and refit my kid with colors to the liking of the gym teachers at a minimum $200 expense? What is wrong with the other colors of the spectrum? I thought we were getting away from the "RED" Raiders name as some found it possibly derogatory to native Americans? Can anyone confirm this rather bizarre dress code coming out of nowhere? I didn't see anything in the student handbook. Anyone who can confirm, please let me know.

So your child comes home, tells you thy need certain things for gym class for a dress code, and your first thought is to quickly go to Melrose Messages and ask guidance and stir the pot with a bunch of other School Haters and Complainers INSTEAD of actually contacting the Phys Ed. Teacher/Middle School to confirm the story of your child?

Why yes. This is the safe harbor here at Melrose Messages. It's safer to field questions here than asking the administrators whose immediate reaction is that you are a just a trouble maker and need to be taught a lesson. Why not just field the question on here first; the safe way?

Sky is falling: You are really out of touch with how this administration rolls. Haven't you been reading the local papers and Melrose Messages or watching school committee meetings over the last three years or so? Get with the program.

Once again, the schools can't be bothered to communicate a new policy to parents. Just tell the kids the policy then threaten them with a grade of F if they don't comply. Welcome to MPS. This is exactly why people post on Melrose Messages.

And still people wonder why the kids are stupid, it’s because the parents believe everything they hear.

Have a good day. [:)]