Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fix the Charter

Fix the blasted thing, and do it NOW.

"Dolan said. "There's not much controversy in it. No one’s ever stopped me and said, 'I think we need to change the charter.'"
Dolan acknowledged that one point of discussion could be his seat on the School Committee, but he said it's "imperative" for the mayor to continue in that role and noted that he does not serve as the Committee's chair, unlike in some neighboring communities.
"I don't think that's going to change," Dolan said. "It's not easy, but I think it's imperative."

Of COURSE he'd say that. And of course this is the central, most important element that needs to be corrected, along with putting back a Recall provision for elected officials. The mayor needs to be removed from the SC yesterday! His presence there has cemented all that is the most vile, costly, and totally unacceptable in Melrose governance today. This individual was out of control abusing his power before this provision allowing him on the SC was enacted. Afterwards it became impossible for any sort of balance of power, no matter who was elected. This guy was handed the ability to consolidate all the governing power under his fat fist, and he has made sure to eliminate all remaining checks and balances ever since. It has to be corrected at its source so that no single governing individual can ever do this again, no matter how good that individual might be.

One solid appropriate remark: "Dolan: 'so might as well do it now.'"

http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20160927/melrose-board-of-aldermen-calls-for-review-of-city-charter
Melrose Board of Aldermen calls for review of city charter
By Aaron Leibowitz

The Melrose Board of Aldermen has called for a special committee to review the city charter that was drafted over a decade ago.
In 2005, voters approved a new charter document that, among other changes, increased the mayoral term from two to four years, added the mayor to the School Committee, and reduced the size of the School Committee from nine to seven members.
Last Thursday, Sept. 22, the Board of Aldermen's appropriations committee recommended that Mayor Rob Dolan and Board President Donald Conn establish a committee to review the charter's language.
"It's just good hygiene," said Alderman-at-Large Mike Zwirko, who drafted the order. "We do a Master Plan every 10 years. I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same with the charter."
The vote to recommend the order was 9-0, with Ward 3 Alderman Frank Wright and Ward 4 Alderman Bob Boisselle absent. The full Board is expected to finalize its vote Oct. 5.
Presently, the city charter calls for a periodic review of its language every 10 years in years ending in "9," but some aldermen felt a review prior to 2019 was warranted.
"In 2005, we took the old charter, threw it out, and created a completely new document," said Conn, who served on that charter review committee. "A review is probably most important after this initial 10-year period. That doesn't mean tons of changes, but we should try to correct any weaknesses or deficiencies in the charter that we do see."
The special committee would consist of nine members, five appointed by Dolan and four appointed by Conn. At least two of the members would be aldermen. The committee would be required to file its report by May 1, 2017, assuming the committee is appointed before the end of 2016.
Dolan said he is fine with the idea but doesn't think any major changes would be made.
"I think the work is relatively easy because last time we redid the whole thing," Dolan said. "There's not much controversy in it. No one’s ever stopped me and said, 'I think we need to change the charter.'"
Dolan acknowledged that one point of discussion could be his seat on the School Committee, but he said it's "imperative" for the mayor to continue in that role and noted that he does not serve as the Committee's chair, unlike in some neighboring communities.
"I don't think that's going to change," Dolan said. "It's not easy, but I think it's imperative. I think there's a reason why every city does it."
Conn added that he would like a special committee to consider whether switching from two-year to four-year mayoral terms has resulted in lower voter turnout in years without a mayoral vote. Aldermen are up for re-election every two years, while School Committee members serve staggered four-year terms.
"I would need to do some study, but it seems to me that turnout is quite a bit lower when the mayor’s race is not on the ballot," Conn said.
Conn raised the prospect of comprehensive charter review at a meeting Aug. 22, when the Board was considering a proposal to change its title to the Melrose City Council.
That change would have required approval from the State Legislature to amend the city charter, but Conn suggested the city should look at its entire charter before petitioning the state for a relatively small amendment.
Zwirko followed Conn's lead by formally calling for such a review, telling the Board that, if the special committee submitted its changes by May 1, 2017, the Board would have until June 15 to approve the changes and the charter could appear on the citywide ballot next fall.
"It had to be done by 2019," said Dolan, "so might as well do it now."
Last Thursday, Sept. 22, the Board of Aldermen's appropriations committee recommended that Mayor Rob Dolan and Board President Donald Conn establish a committee to review the charter's language.
"It's just good hygiene," said Alderman-at-Large Mike Zwirko, who drafted the order. "We do a Master Plan every 10 years. I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same with the charter."
The vote to recommend the order was 9-0, with Ward 3 Alderman Frank Wright and Ward 4 Alderman Bob Boisselle absent. The full Board is expected to finalize its vote Oct. 5.
Presently, the city charter calls for a periodic review of its language every 10 years in years ending in "9," but some aldermen felt a review prior to 2019 was warranted.
"In 2005, we took the old charter, threw it out, and created a completely new document," said Conn, who served on that charter review committee. "A review is probably most important after this initial 10-year period. That doesn't mean tons of changes, but we should try to correct any weaknesses or deficiencies in the charter that we do see."
The special committee would consist of nine members, five appointed by Dolan and four appointed by Conn. At least two of the members would be aldermen. The committee would be required to file its report by May 1, 2017, assuming the committee is appointed before the end of 2016.
Dolan said he is fine with the idea but doesn't think any major changes would be made.
"I think the work is relatively easy because last time we redid the whole thing," Dolan said. "There's not much controversy in it. No one’s ever stopped me and said, 'I think we need to change the charter.'"
"I don't think that's going to change," Dolan said. "It's not easy, but I think it's imperative. I think there's a reason why every city does it."
Conn added that he would like a special committee to consider whether switching from two-year to four-year mayoral terms has resulted in lower voter turnout in years without a mayoral vote. Aldermen are up for re-election every two years, while School Committee members serve staggered four-year terms.
"I would need to do some study, but it seems to me that turnout is quite a bit lower when the mayor’s race is not on the ballot," Conn said.
Conn raised the prospect of comprehensive charter review at a meeting Aug. 22, when the Board was considering a proposal to change its title to the Melrose City Council.
That change would have required approval from the State Legislature to amend the city charter, but Conn suggested the city should look at its entire charter before petitioning the state for a relatively small amendment.
Zwirko followed Conn's lead by formally calling for such a review, telling the Board that, if the special committee submitted its changes by May 1, 2017, the Board would have until June 15 to approve the changes and the charter could appear on the citywide ballot next fall.

Re: Fix the Charter

"The mayor needs to be removed from the SC yesterday! His presence there has cemented all that is the most vile, costly, and totally unacceptable in Melrose governance today. This individual was out of control abusing his power before this provision allowing him on the SC was enacted."

Absolutely correct. He was making hiring and firing decisions for the district long before he was on the SC, all of which were completely INAPPROPRIATE then and now. He believes he has the right to decide anything and everything, regardless of what should have been a well-defined and limited role in the Executive Branch. He has no respect for the balance of power that is supposed to define this kind of democratic governing. He calls in his cronies and makes all important decisions for the other two branches. He decides on financial decisions for the other two branches. He pressures and threatens anyone to make sure his wishes are the only wishes that are followed. His abuse of power is unprecedented in Melrose, as so many bad results of this abuse are as well, starting with federal OCR findings of violations, poor academic standings, and horrific abuses like Kick a Ginger Day that just would not be happening if responsible and ACCOUNTABLE officials and a system of governing were in place.

Watched him on SC mtg last night. Why does he think he has a right to determine for the whole SC what will happen? Just because they've ceded their responsibility and rights/authority to him doesn't make it right! The SC has proven itself to be a bunch of in-the-tank incompetent self-congratulatory crazed and craven a$$hats, but they still have legal responsibilities for which they should and could be held accountable by citizens nonetheless.

Last night he talked about how this whole new $4.5 mil boondoggle of "portables" (throwing in some extraneous fixing of Horace Mann to make it handicap-accessible--how is that appropriate and how did Melrose get away with having at least 3 schools still, maybe more, that are NOT HANDICAP-ACCESSIBLE????) is basically a done deal.

He talked about the choice of contractor (same one as for most of the school building projects) as if there is no other option, even though it's all supposed to go out to bid. What corrupt "process" is going to net this given "result"?

And how is it that the BOA has not exerted its legal and appropriate role in checking his power?

And just exactly how does anyone think Melrose has a legitimate budgeting process when it was revealed last night that this newest project is not being bonded but rather pulled from the total city budget? If there is 4 and a half million dollars sitting around, why? how? Shows exactly what a sham/scam this city's financial processes are!

Melrose BOA needs to demand a total forensic audit!!!!!

4.5 million dollars pulled out of the Mayor's hat! What a hypocrite - saying previously after the override failed, that he is not going to give the school another city dollar!This guy is charlatan at best!

Not only that, but did you notice that the school in the mayor's neighborhood, the Horace Mann, is not going to get those ugly redneck portables, but instead is getting a renovation of the existing interior space? Now how is that fair?

Nothing fair or ethical where that guy is concerned. It's only about what he wants, political patronage, power and the abuse thereof.

How about, fix MPS.