Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Absolute Nonsense - Get Over It!

Dear Concerned American - thank you again in demonstrating your fanatical response to the election of our 45th President - you lost - get over it - move on and help our nation move forward, If you continue to live in the past - you will be frustrated and unable to move forward with the nation.

The states across our nation wanted "change" and change we will get - after 4 years the nation will have a chance to let our 45th President whether he has brought the change the nation wanted. Check back in 4 years from now and we can discuss this further - until then - please refrain from your distasteful rhetoric - it's a sign of political immaturity.

BINGO
"This is not someone who is merely narcissistic in the colloquial, casual sense of the term, meaning that he's selfish or self-centered. This is someone with a psychiatric disorder in all its flagrant, florid particulars. To grasp its seriousness is to be staggered that someone too disordered and rancid to be a trustee of your condo association will be running our country. How is it possible that almost half the voters, even those who like his values and disliked his opponent, could have listened to him taunt and lie and bully his way through a campaign and then said, Yep, that's who should be in charge of the country?"

Thank you, "concerned American."

What? The last two Republican candidates for president were wimps (McCain & Romney)- we want a leader who will stand up for America unlike the current President - Obama - who by his own admission recently - created the largest refugee crisis in the world,in Syria, since World War II- wow - that took quite an accomplishment - something that will go down in history as the very worst world disaster since World War II and will mar his legacy!

"Melrose Resident": There are plenty of resemblances of this Trump presidency to those of fascist movements now erupting like the menace that they are throughout the world, starting with the corporate/military junta of the cabinet picks. While it is not accurate to label DT a fascist per se (just Google fascist or nazi next to DT and there will follow many historically informed delineations of both the similarities and significant differences), it is unfortunately entirely accurate to make the comparison to a classic Narcissist, and in this case one who is a menace to the world.

Unfortunately there are also many resemblances to some of our local "leaders," in this regard, something that MR will recognize, no doubt, as he has been a fierce and correct critic when it comes to the corruption and sickness in local governance. This is not about party politics, and MR is wrong to presume that DT critics are HRC supporters or "crazies." This is where his own problematic rationalizations need to be called out (but also listened to). In such dangerous times, it is more important than ever for all of us to listen openly and with empathy, including to those whose views we might otherwise find repugnant.

Here is an article that might prove helpful:
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/narcissist-chief-psychopathology-explains-donald-trumps-depravity

Narcissist-in-Chief: The Psychopathology That Explains Donald Trump's Depravity
The president-elect might be pitiable if he weren't a threat to the future of mankind.

"The initial shock has given way to a twofold horror. First, there is the unavoidable fact that more than 62 million Americans voted for this man. Presumably many of those 62 million aren't bigots or bullies or sexual predators or compulsive liars. But they knowingly voted for someone who is all of those things and more.

And then there are the sickening practical implications. During the campaign, novelist Adam Haslett remarked that "endless acts of verbal violence shock us into stunned passivity so we no longer register the horror of what we're living through." But that's nothing compared to the horror fatigue that awaits us under a Trump administration. His election—along with Republican control of both Houses of Congress and more than two thirds of state legislatures—will almost certainly precipitate an assault on civil rights, civil liberties, environmental protections (including a reversal of early, tentative steps to deal with global climate change), consumer protections, reproductive rights, gay rights, workers' rights, prisoners' rights, humane immigration policies, aid to the poor, gun control, antimilitarism, support for public education, and on and on. It will be bad enough for an individual deeply committed to any one of these issues; for those interested in all of them, it will be difficult to absorb, let alone summon outrage about and become active in opposing, a tidal wave of reactionary policies likely to continue on a daily basis for many years.

The potential impact on official policy is staggering. And yet I can't stop thinking about the man himself. All through the campaign, I found myself looking through a psychological lens at Trump's behavior, not only appalled at the bellicose, racist pronouncements about, say, Mexicans or Muslims, but riveted by the deeply damaged human being who was saying these things. Even before he ran for president, Trump had been Exhibit A for the axiom that it's possible to be rich and famous without being a successful human being, psychologically or morally speaking. To flesh out the details now that we're more familiar with him is to add a layer of disbelief and dismay to the reality that so many people voted for him anyway. This psychological perspective is also critical for trying to predict just how much damage he will do to the country and the world, particularly to those who are most vulnerable.

Donald Trump has distinguished himself as someone who is:

given to boasting, preening and swaggering to the point of self-parody;
not merely thin-skinned and petulant but vindictive when crossed or even criticized;
restless, with the attention span of a toddler;
desperately competitive, driven to sort the world into winners and losers and to regard other people (or countries) primarily as rivals to be bested;
astonishingly lacking not only in knowledge but in curiosity;
given to uttering blatant falsehoods on a constant basis and apparently unaware of the extent of his dishonesty, as if the fact that he believes something makes it true; and
possessed of a sense of absolute entitlement—so if he wants to kiss an attractive woman, for example, he should be free to do so—along with a lack of shame, humility, empathy, or capacity for reflection and self-scrutiny.

Even if you set out to consider different sorts of deficits, you're pulled back to the psychological issues. It's not just that he's ignorant or even incurious, it's that he seems incapable of acknowledging that there's something he doesn't know. It's not just that he lacks the cognitive wherewithal to view himself as others view him (or to reflect on his failings), but that his psychological makeup is such that he can't bear to stop and think about who he is; he's like a shark, a blind eating machine that must always move forward or die. Similarly, while his speech rarely ventures beyond elementary-school vocabulary or grammar, what's more alarming than his cognitive limitations is his egocentrism. One careful analysis found that Trump inclines not only to the monosyllabic but to the megalomaniacal: The single word he uses more than any other is "I"—and his fourth-favorite word is his own name.

Donald Trump seems to me a textbook illustration of how a lifelong campaign of self-congratulation and self-aggrandizement (acquiring as much as possible and then pasting his name on everything he owns) represents an attempt to compensate for deeply rooted insecurity. He fears being insignificant, worthless. In fact, his quest to humiliate and conquer, to possess and flaunt, may be strategies to prove to himself that he really exists, reflecting a condition R.D. Laing called "ontological insecurity" (in a chapter of that name in his classic book The Divided Self). He doesn't even bother—or maybe just lacks the sophistication—to conceal how desperate is his craving for attention and approval, how precarious his mental state.

Why did Trump praise Putin? Well, he explained, because Putin "has said nice things about" him. And the entire spectacle of his party's convention was a $60 million attempt to prove that he personally was well-liked. If you watch the man carefully, before he lashes out at a critic, before the outpouring of blind rage, insults and threats, there seems to be a moment of genuine perplexity and hurt that anyone could say something about him that isn't complimentary. The vulnerability, the naked need, would almost occasion our pity were it not for the potentially catastrophic consequences of having someone with this profile in a position of power.

The fact that Trump is basically, in the words of comic commentator Samantha Bee, "an oddly tinted compilation of psychiatric symptoms," has hardly been a secret. Psychobiographies have been published in The Atlantic and at book length. In Vanity Fair, the Washington Post and the Huffington Post, clinicians and other observers have specifically focused on the extent to which he likely suffers from narcissistic personality disorder. These pieces are worth reading, but it's possible just to take a quick look at the official criteria for NPD and come away with the uncanny impression that those who defined the pathology were profiling Trump.

This is not someone who is merely narcissistic in the colloquial, casual sense of the term, meaning that he's selfish or self-centered. This is someone with a psychiatric disorder in all its flagrant, florid particulars. To grasp its seriousness is to be staggered that someone too disordered and rancid to be a trustee of your condo association will be running our country. How is it possible that almost half the voters, even those who like his values and disliked his opponent, could have listened to him taunt and lie and bully his way through a campaign and then said, Yep, that's who should be in charge of the country?

The implications are nothing short of chilling. It's not just how little he knows, but how little that fact bothers him—the overweening arrogance that leads him to believe he has nothing to learn, that he knows "more about ISIS than the generals do." It's not just that he's an extreme risktaker, but that he takes those risks purely in the service of his own wealth and glory. It's not clear that he has any principles, as such; what he has is an overwhelming need to be the center of attention, to be liked, feared, admired. Apart from considerations of personal profit, his foreign policy is likely to be determined at least in part by which individuals on the world stage stroke his ego and which ones criticize him—never mind that despicable leaders may do the former and reasonable leaders the latter (which is actually more likely than the reverse, if you think about it).

His hunger for approval means he's likely to keep surrounding himself with those who tell him what he wants to hear and flatter him—the engine of Shakespearean tragedies. His belligerence and volatility, that hair-trigger temper, are the last qualities you want to see in someone holding a position of power, particularly when they're coupled with a childish us-versus-them view of the world: xenophobic nationalism and compulsive competitiveness. His disorder leaves no room for consensus and collaboration. How can one not tremble at the thought that someone like this will command the military and have access to nuclear weapons?

Is this sort of analysis, focused on psychopathology rather than just politics, just as relevant to a Putin, an Erdogan, a Duterte? Maybe. But those names, and others that come to mind, actually prove the point. A list of narcissistic heads of state, as psychologist Nigel Barber observed, consists mostly if not exclusively of dictators. People like that tend to be "screened out by democratic systems of government."

This, then, is the bottom line: Trump has little understanding of, commitment to, and (psychologically speaking) capacity for democratic decision-making. And that's been clear from the start. In his convention speech, he said, "I alone can fix" our country's problems. As author Masha Gessen put it, "Trump is the first candidate in memory who ran not for president but for autocrat—and won." He won not in spite of that fact but, frighteningly, because of it. Social scientists discovered that the best predictor of who supported Trump wasn't economic deprivation (for example, having one's job shipped overseas) but a predilection for authoritarianism, an extreme need for order, a fear of the Other, an attraction to strongman leaders. (Another significant predictor of who was drawn to him, incidentally, was hostile sexism.)

We find ourselves facing a future so treacherous that pundits are reduced to hoping Trump's psychological disorder can be manipulated. Maybe rather than being committed to right-wing ideology, he'll "tilt in whatever direction, and toward whichever constituency, is the surest source of applause," offers columnist Frank Bruni. Sane people—say, those who would like to save the planet or avoid war—need only clap their hands if Trump should happen to tweet something that isn't insane. A slender reed for hope indeed, particularly as he surrounds himself with right-wing ideologues.

That pretty much leaves us relying on legal challenges (until the appellate courts and Supreme Court are repopulated), protests to pressure lawmakers capable of responding to reason, and should it come to this, mass civil disobedience and disciplined noncooperation with efforts to round up immigrants, create a registry for people of a disfavored religion, and who knows what else. Have I overlooked other realistic strategies? Lord, I hope so.

Some years ago, I urged my fellow educators to put aside their various pet projects for improving schools and make common cause to challenge high-stakes standardized testing, which threatens all our priorities. Now all of us face a similar challenge, but well beyond the field of education and with far higher stakes. People in all fields, with a range of causes, must join hands to deal with a shared threat.

And we must do so while taking care not to become inured to the magnitude of that threat, determined to resist accepting it as the new normal. On his HBO show, John Oliver urged us to keep reminding ourselves, “A Klan-backed misogynist internet troll is going to be delivering the next State of the Union address. This is not normal.” Furthermore, we need to remember that what's abnormal here isn't just a set of positions and policies but the psychological state of the person who will be in charge. The clearer our understanding of that, the better our chances for protecting one another—and our democracy."

"Andy Borowitz
I understand the impulse to blame Putin, fake news or any number of other culprits for electing Trump. But the fact is, before the general election even happened, millions of primary voters decided that an idiotic reality show host with a glaring personality disorder was a worthy nominee for the White House. The buck stops there. #Sad"

Motive of some Trump Attackers

It is interesting to note how many of the Trump attackers are of the Jewish faith, including local rabbiis. Trump's
statement about possibly withdrawing from the Middle East, leaving Israel to basically defend itself, is a valid
concern. Trump's german heritage is probably another unspoken irrational concern for those who can gender up another "Kristallnacht".

Re: Motive of some Trump Attackers

Again, all of this being "after the fact" is the true definition of mental masturbation!

Re: Motive of some Trump Attackers

Geezer
Again, all of this being "after the fact" is the true definition of mental masturbation!

I agree Geezer, they still refuse to accept the fact - that Trump won - and that is the main issue for them. They can't stand the thought of waiting until he takes office before commenting on any programs or actions he may take! They are frightened that this guy might actually succeed - if he does - they will just continue their rants and rages - we call these people fanatics & demagogues!

Michelle and Hillary never liked each other that will never change. Give the new president a chance and wish him well.

The minor stock market moves upward are a result of better economic numbers under Obama and better employment numbers. FYI, the S&P 500 futures dropped dramatically and immediately setting off the circuit breaker at -7% as the world panicked when they saw Trump may win on election eve.

The real test will be what happens during the first 180 days under Trump. It is widely anticipated that there will be a major stock market correction, 20% or more, as reality sets in that the US has elected a madman with untreated Bipolar and Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Protect your assets
The minor stock market moves upward are a result of better economic numbers under Obama and better employment numbers. FYI, the S&P 500 futures dropped dramatically and immediately setting off the circuit breaker at -7% as the world panicked when they saw Trump may win on election eve.

The real test will be what happens during the first 180 days under Trump. It is widely anticipated that there will be a major stock market correction, 20% or more, as reality sets in that the US has elected a madman with untreated Bipolar and Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

He won! Get over it! Enjoy that America will be great again!

If you voted for him, I really need you to hear something right now:

I believe you.

I believe you when you say that you’re not a racist.
I believe you when you say that you’re not a bigot.
I believe you when you say you’re not homophobic.
I believe you when you say you’re not a misogynist.
I believe you when you say you’re not an Islamophobe.
I believe you when you say you’re not an anti-Semite.
I believe you when you say that you don’t condone violence and discrimination and bullying.

But I won’t keep believing you if you remain silent.

I know you had legitimate reasons for voting for him; things that either real or imagined, genuinely moved you to your decision and that you wrestled with these reasons greatly. But I don’t care about those reasons; not because I don’t care about you or value you or want to understand you or because I don’t respect your road, but because those reasons can’t help those who are hurting right now or—only your response can.

You see, regardless of why you voted for him, you did vote for him. Your affirmation of him and your elevation of him to this position, came with what you knew about him:

It came after hearing the horrible, degrading, vile things he said about women.
It came after hearing him encourage his supporters to be violent with protestors.
It came after he advocated for Muslims to be expelled and profiled.
It came after he made fun of a man with physical disability.
It came after he framed the BlackLivesMatter movement as criminal and subversive.
It came after he personally criticized the appearance and weight and sexual activity of women opponents.
It came after he chose a Vice President who believes gay people can pray away their gayness.
It came after the KKK and the neo-Nazis endorsed him.

These were all things you had to weigh to cast your vote, and by whatever method you used, you declared theses things within your morally acceptable parameters. You deemed these part of the “lesser of two evils”. In voting your conscience—these things made the cut.

And so the whys of your vote matter less now than the who of your vote. That person is here, and everything happening now is the reality you and I need to deal with together. Both of our intentions have to yield to the moment we stand in together.

And I need you speak now. If the acts of violence toward people of color and the harassment of the Muslim community and the anti-Semitic graffiti and the misogynistic assaults on women make you sick; if they are not your heart, if they are not acceptable, if they are not who you are—say so.

And if the appointment of a chief advisor to the President who has shown blatant, explicit, incendiary hatred for people of color and Jewish people and the Muslim community, is not what you consented to with your vote, you need to say that too.

I want to believe that you do value equality and diversity and in the inherent value of every person as much as I do. I want to believe that people are precious to you, no matter their color or gender or faith tradition or sexual orientation. But if you refuse to speak into the events of these days, if you choose to stay silent, whether out of fear or shame or buyer’s remorse or ambivalence—I will have no choice but to believe that you are okay with all of this.

And here’s the thing, friend: If you were to say that you are not okay with all of this, if you were to stand up to the bigots and the racists and the misogynists and the homophobes and the anti-Semites and the xenophobes—you will find that I will stand with you. I will live and work and worship alongside you, and you will find me a willing, available, and caring partner in the crafting of the future of this country. I promise you.

I will not hold your vote against you, because I trust that you arrived at that vote as carefully, prayerfully, and seriously as I did mine.

But make no mistake, I will hold your silence now against you.
I will hold your inaction against you.
I will hold your refusal to see the pain of those your vote has at least in some part, initiated against you.
I will hold your lack of compassion for the marginalized against you.

So yes, I believe you are not the horrible things I am seeing from the hateful, vicious, intolerant few from the fringes, but that belief comes with the expectation that I will hear you now; that you will shout to the fringes that this is not what you meant by making America great.
It comes with the expectation that you will tell the President-Elect and your elected officials and your pastors, that these things do not have a place in the country you desire.
It comes with the expectation that you speak now to the marginalized, and that you reiterate their worth, hear their grief, validate their fear, and that you come to their defense in both word and in tangible support.

Friend, you may feel like you are being attacked these days, but you’re not. You’re being challenged to be the person you tell us you are.

If you voted for him I do not believe that automatically makes you the enemy.

Only your silence in the face of this hatred can do that.

Please speak, so I can know you.

How about Making American Civil and Decent Again?

Honestly, you don't get it. Let's talk in a year and maybe you will get it, but it might be too late by then. The man is a clown and will do much damage to the country.

Protect your assets
Honestly, you don't get it. Let's talk in a year and maybe you will get it, but it might be too late by then. The man is a clown and will do much damage to the country.

The alternative candidate, Hillary Clinton, called everyone of the 62 million people who voted for Trump deplorables and unredeemables, she felt entitled after losing to Obama back in 2008, she assisted in creating the largest refugee problem in the world since World War II, resisted assisting our ambassador and 3 other Americans in Benghazi for political purposes, allowed 80% of our uranium resources to be purchased by Russian firms, created her own illegal email system, while lying to the American public about it while Sec of State which endangered our countrys' secrets, and created the largest criminal organization in the US known as the Clinton Foundation which spent 80% of its money on non-charitable activities.

Yep - Hillary certainly showed us all that she deserved to be President of the United States!

Protect your assets

Gold is going down and the stock market going up! Invest in America - optimism is increasing across our nation as the days wind down on the Obama administration! Free at last - free at last - thank God we are free at last!

If you voted for him- You sound insane. I do not care what you "hold against me". If Hillary had won, you would not have cared one bit about how those on the other side would have felt. You would not have cared about the worries people had about her selling our national security out for profit. You would not have cared how we would have felt about someone so corrupt bringing her rapist husband into our White House. You would have dismissed the other side's fears as silly. Why should I care if you "hold" my vote "against me". BTW- I know you thought you were composing some eloquent piece that people would cut and paste and send viral. It was, instead, sanctimonious and obnoxious.

The other poster who is quoting the Huffington Post, Frank Bruni, and the like- are you trying to pass off those "writers" as fact of anything? You are quoting a bunch of opinion pieces. In case you didn't get the message, many of us are not listening to the biased media anymore. They are nothing but opinions. Their words mean nothing.

The guy hasn't even taken office. I continue to be relieved that it is him and not Hillary. But, we'll just have to wait and see...

Hopefully you and I will be spared when Trump makes a mess of things, which he already is, by tweeting insane comments out that are already creating volatile diplomatic situations with Russia and now China. The worst is yet to come my friend. You have high hopes for a man with a mental illness.

Washington:
Highlights

Top US psychiatry professors urge Obama for 'medical evaluation' of Trump
In August, President Obama had called Trump 'unfit to serve as president'
An Oxford study claimed Trump has more psychopathic traits than Hitler

Three leading professors of psychiatry from America's prestigious universities have written to President Barack Obama, expressing their "grave concern" over his successor Donald Trump's mental stability. This, however, is not the first time mental health professionals have weighed in on Trump's suitability for office.

In the letter addressed to the US president, the doctors -- one from the Harvard Medical School and two others who have been associated with top US varsities over the years -- have urged him to order a "full medical and neuropsychiatric evaluation" before the President-elect takes office on January 20.

"We are writing to express our grave concern regarding the mental stability of our President-elect," the letter published by the Huffington Post read.

The letter assumes significance as it is written by three distinguished professors of psychiatry -- Judith Herman, Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; Nanette Gartrell, Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry , University of California, San Francisco (1988-2011,) and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School (1983-87); and Dee Mosbacher, Ph.D. Assistant Clinical Professor Department of Community Health Systems University of California, San Francisco (2005-2013).

"Professional standards do not permit us to venture a diagnosis for a public figure whom we have not evaluated personally. Nevertheless, his widely reported symptoms of mental instability -- including grandiosity, impulsiveness, hypersensitivity to slights or criticism, and an apparent inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality -- lead us to question his fitness for the immense responsibilities of the office," the letter said.

"We strongly recommend that, in preparation for assuming these responsibilities, he receive a full medical and neuropsychiatric evaluation by an impartial team of investigators," it said.

In August, President Obama had questioned the 70-year-old business tycoon's judgement and temperament and called him "unfit to serve as president".

In June, Atlantic published a psychologist's findings that Trump suffered from "narcissism, disagreeableness, grandiosity".

In August, an Oxford study claimed that Trump has more psychopathic traits than Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler. Psychologist Kevin Dutton from Oxford University ranked the psychopathic traits of the US presidential hopefuls and historical figures using a standard psychometric tool - the Psychopathic Personality Inventory - Revised (PPI-R).

Trump outstripped Hitler on factors including social influence and fearlessness, while the Nazi dictator scored higher on cold heartedness and Machiavellian egocentricity - which describes a lack of empathy and sense of detachment from others for the sake of achieving one's own goals.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/12/19/yes-there-shame-not-knowing/FgRfohT2d17oKRle9LbiSM/story.html
By Charles Taylor December 19, 2016

There’s no shame in not knowing; there’s shame in not wanting to know. For years I’ve said this to my college students as a way of telling them that learning should never stop. But I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that, at a certain point, there should be shame in not knowing. What brought me to this point? Too many students unaware of anything before they were born: creative-writing students who have never heard of Edith Wharton or Ralph Ellison; journalism students who can’t identify the attorney general; students who don’t know what the NAACP or the Geneva Convention are. A teacher’s job is to teach, not shame. But how do you teach when, even when they reach college, students are not expected to have basic knowledge of our history, our culture, our government?

I raise this because in the weeks since the presidential election, in the guise of tolerance and understanding and that most useless of bromides, “having a dialogue,” we are being told that there should be no shame in not knowing. The emerging narrative of this election is that Donald Trump was elected by people who are sick of being looked down on by liberal elites. The question the people pushing this narrative have not asked is this: Were the elites, based on the facts, demonstrably right?

Although cable television and the Internet can be a haven for misinformation, they also make responsible journalism available to a wider audience than ever before. It’s not like the facts about the candidates were somehow unavailable to voters in red states. Despite the mainstream media’s craven narrative of two equally untrusted candidates — an approach which declined to say in what case distrust was matched by actual duplicity — the facts were available to prove that the charges of Clinton’s lying and Trump’s business genius were both the sheerest fictions. That Trump voters chose an easily disprovable myth over readily available facts is one sign of their willful ignorance.
And still this imperviousness to fact pales next to the racism and xenophobia and misogyny — in other words, the moral ignorance — that Trump’s supporters wallowed in. All of the condescension of which liberals have been accused can’t begin to match the condescension of the current storyline that Trump voters are too disenfranchised or despised or dismissed to be held morally responsible for their choices. It’s an insult to these salt-of-the-earth types, we’re told, to think they acted out of racism. You must understand, the pundits say: They resent being told they are dinosaurs, they fear their lifestyle is passing away.

And if their way of life means believing that Confederate flags are not a celebration of treason, or means being indignant that the Constitution does not protect a baker who refuses to work for gay customers or a pharmacist who refuses to fill a prescription for birth control, well then, their apologists say, we must sympathize.

Time was when battered women were told by police or by their priests that they must try not to antagonize their abusive husbands. That is exactly how Americans of color, gay Americans, undocumented immigrants, and women are now being addressed: They’re being told they must respect people who believe they have the right to jail, deport, or beat — if not yet kill — anyone who makes them uncomfortable. Because, of course, unlike the black or brown or ***** people on the coasts, those Trump voters are the real America.

The apologists for Donald Trump voters have given their imprimatur to a culture that equates knowledge and expertise with elitism, a culture ignorant of the history of the country it professes to love and contemptuous of the content of its founding documents. Trump said his campaign would prove the experts wrong. He was right. The Trump supporters who in the last few weeks have contributed to the sudden surge in hate crimes, often invoking the name of their candidate, have shown, much more than the experts, they understand exactly what his candidacy was about.

I must say that it gives me a small chuckle to think of you overly dramatic sore losers searching your inbox and the rest of the skewed media to find the right article to re-post for the rest of us. Gee, aren't you smart? We should all think the way you think, right?
The sky is falling, Hitler has risen from the dust, and we are headed for the end of times. Sorry, I can't listen anymore. I have a job and family and a wonderful Christmas to prepare for. Merry Christmas to all of you!

These Trump haters have some serious mental issues! I guess Hillary brought out the "best" in her supporters! Have you heard the way they have treated the electoral voters - sending them hate mail and threats of death? Real nice people! Nice to know - the good guy won!

So are we building a 20 million dollar library or what? We obviously can not spell and need a place where we can all meet and discuss the economy. I vote yes .

The 21st century library is in your own home - it's called a computer! Teach a child how to use the search function and websites and your library and knowledge expands exponentially without brick and mortar buildings!

In less than 10 years, there will not be a purpose in going to the library - spend the money for a combined safety building - that makes the most sense in the 21st century - we still need the police and fire departments.

I agree. Yes, sometimes it's nice to 'hold a book', but not $20 mil nice!

I actually do make use of the library fairly frequently, and since I am a NOBLE member I can also use Wakefield's and several others, too, especially since an enormous amount of their catalog can be downloaded to a computer or reader like Kindle or Nook. The library we have now is perfectly adequate, especially when the current state of the police and central fire buildings is considered. A public safety facility is a glaring immediate need that has been put off for way too long.

City officials even proposing such a library project now not only makes me wonder what the end game is, but makes me seriously question their sanity.

"The Trump supporters who in the last few weeks have contributed to the sudden surge in hate crimes, often invoking the name of their candidate, have shown, much more than the experts, they understand exactly what his candidacy was about."

Today we find out that the church that was burned down, just before the election, with "Vote Trump" on it was burned down by a black member of the church. MSM is hardly reporting it at all.

Bostonguy
"The Trump supporters who in the last few weeks have contributed to the sudden surge in hate crimes, often invoking the name of their candidate, have shown, much more than the experts, they understand exactly what his candidacy was about."

Today we find out that the church that was burned down, just before the election, with "Vote Trump" on it was burned down by a black member of the church. MSM is hardly reporting it at all.

Hey - wasn't it in Boston recently when students who can't even vote were allowed to walk out of class to protest a legal national election for President! It shows you that a commitment and appreciation to educational excellence takes a back seat to left wing progressive demagogues and ideology which is taught to be more important!

"City officials even proposing such a library project now not only makes me wonder what the end game is, but makes me seriously question their sanity."

It certainly has people who've heard about it scratching their heads (and I don't mean here, but out and about in Melrose). Dolan doesn't seem to realize he's about to stick his feet in, well, muck, again, and it seems his advisers haven't successfully clued him into reality. Simply repeating his proposal over and over, and more emphatically and pleadingly and whiningly each time, with a Greek chorus of people dependent on him for employment or the MEF folks, is not a good formula if he actually wants to change something. Instead, he would need to seriously alter the specifics of the proposal before it goes forward, and seriously engage its weakest features (rather than tilting at strawmen via prolepsis). Right now, he doesn't seem capable of that any more.

Bostonguy

Same thing happened 8 years ago when Obama were to take office. Finally someone cares about the middle class white people.

The issue isn't which would have been a better choice. The issue is that the choice we were given was between a psychopath and a scumbag. By and large Americans are a bunch if ignorant sheep being led to the slaughter. What does it matter who's wielding the knife?

Sorry, But....
The issue isn't which would have been a better choice. The issue is that the choice we were given was between a psychopath and a scumbag. By and large Americans are a bunch if ignorant sheep being led to the slaughter. What does it matter who's wielding the knife?

Speak for yourself - idiot! I want someone else in the White House other than a old, corrupt politician who lived off the public dole! Give Trump an opportunity to lead before you all condemn him! He is a doer not a politician!

Why am I not surprised that you completely missed the point? Let me rephrase it for all you language challenged half-wits - they both suck. That simple enough for you?

Sorry, But....
Why am I not surprised that you completely missed the point? Let me rephrase it for all you language challenged half-wits - they both suck. That simple enough for you?

Let me put this so simple- even you can understand it - I DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION OF TRUMP! Hillary has already demonstrated to the public that she lied to us while in office as Sec of State, she is corrupt since we now know that she and her husband had this Pay for PLay scheme at the Clinton Foundation while she was Sec, of State, and that she lied about her email system and the Benghazi incident to the public.

Trump has no such political reputation and we should give him a chance before condemning him - after all - we all gave Hillary a chance to prove herself over the past 10-15 years! Trump deserves no less a chance to prove himself. So just be patient and see what he does.

"So just be patient and see what he does." You would probably have said that about Adolph, too.

Plenty to "see" already, and none of it is good, all of it is frankly, terrifying. He imagines himself a king about to be coronated, and his cabinet picks would have pleased Goebbels. The damage he's already done worldwide is epic, and every intelligent being should be afraid and mobilized for action to protect what is left of our democracy after this monster and his tribe of goons, both in the cabinet and in Congress, dismantle everything else.

You mention "Pay for PLay scheme" with a straight face? Are you out of your mind completely? Have you not paid an ounce of attention to what has happened already with this unbounded narcissist and his corporate and military cronies? Any pay-for-play situations with Clinton (and there were plenty, and they were unethical) have already been so far surpassed by this dangerous menace/buffoon with his tweeting fingers. Take any of his cabinet picks. Or how about last week's actions by sonny-boy who was selling million-dollar slots for audience with King Donald, a scheme that had to be stopped when even viper-woman Conway and her batcave of freakshow nazis decided that this was over-the-top corrupt even for them! The Clinton Foundation was not lily-white for sure, but at least HRC wasn't using it to commission portraits of herself like King Bozo did.

"Trump deserves no less a chance to prove himself" Sorry but not willing to sit back and wait for every variety of holocaust that this monster is already posing as actual threats to our world. You are indeed one foolish piece of work to believe the koolaid, especially if you think you will actually do better under this monster.

from The Hill:

"It is deeply troubling when you realize that the president-elect generally does not know what he is talking about and when he does he lies," said John Dean, who served as White House Counsel to Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal cover-up.

Richard Nixon’s former lawyer is accusing President-elect Donald Trump of constantly lying to the American people.

John Dean, who served as White House Counsel to the former president and was directly involved in the Watergate scandal, says he’s troubled by Trump’s lack of knowledge and penchant for lies.

And since "Our New Prez" is so enamored of Repugs, here is a retort to one of Trump's many grossly irresponsible tweets:
""Lets be clear: U aren't an American patriot & don't respect Constitution if u believe Putin more than our President and intelligent services,” tweeted Matthew Dowd, chief strategist of George W. Bush’s 2004 presidential campaign."

Nixon Attorney
from The Hill:

"It is deeply troubling when you realize that the president-elect generally does not know what he is talking about and when he does he lies," said John Dean, who served as White House Counsel to Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal cover-up.

Richard Nixon’s former lawyer is accusing President-elect Donald Trump of constantly lying to the American people.

John Dean, who served as White House Counsel to the former president and was directly involved in the Watergate scandal, says he’s troubled by Trump’s lack of knowledge and penchant for lies.

And since "Our New Prez" is so enamored of Repugs, here is a retort to one of Trump's many grossly irresponsible tweets:
""Lets be clear: U aren't an American patriot & don't respect Constitution if u believe Putin more than our President and intelligent services,” tweeted Matthew Dowd, chief strategist of George W. Bush’s 2004 presidential campaign."

Thanks for these items of interest! You can't make this stuff up!

Will these left wing, liberal, progressive, ideologues, ever look themselves in the mirror and admit - Hillary lost? Doubt it - they will forever live in the past - wondering what hit them - it's called "the electorate reality check"!

The Trump train got rolling because Obama was the worst president of all time. It couldn't be stopped because HRC is a horrible candidate. If anyone doubts Obama was the worst president of all time simply look at his record. He leaves in disgrace stabbing Israel in the back, having no role in the Syrian cease fire, all the while doing a talk show circuit about how he would have won a 3rd term, while his liberal minions want to abolish the electoral college. He makes me embarrassed to be American...the last time America's national pride was this low was when Jimmy Carter was on his way out. The democrats need to stop whining. Russian hacking didn't cost the dems the white house. 8 years of Obama have turned the Governors offices, senate, congress and state legislatures over to the republicans. The biggest national party losses in the history of this country. Just like 1980 when Reagan came along and restored national pride we have Trump to fix the mess. I'm proud to be an American and proud the country stood up an put an end to the liberal insanity.

I'm all set for the transition. I bought 5000 rounds and a couple dozen claymores.

As someone who is disappointed in, but obviously accepts, the results and is willing to quietly sit back and give the President-elect a chance, I find the garbage you (Trump Train) posted quite absurd, and just trying to "add fuel to the fire".
Chill, and lets see what happens. I'm hoping, as everyone should, that it will be for the best!

(PS, this goes for "both sides")

Obama was to have been in the Navy and never step foot on any ship in his 8 years. Can this be corrected or did he never step foot on a Navy Vessel.

***** cat ***** cat where are you?

America Great Again!
Protect your assets

The alternative candidate, Hillary Clinton, called everyone of the 62 million people who voted for Trump deplorables and unredeemables, she felt entitled after losing to Obama back in 2008, she assisted in creating the largest refugee problem in the world since World War II, resisted assisting our ambassador and 3 other Americans in Benghazi for political purposes, allowed 80% of our uranium resources to be purchased by Russian firms, created her own illegal email system, while lying to the American public about it while Sec of State which endangered our countrys' secrets, and created the largest criminal organization in the US known as the Clinton Foundation which spent 80% of its money on non-charitable activities.

Yep - Hillary certainly showed us all that she deserved to be President of the United States!

This is America!

Are you all idiots? I guess the answer is yes.

Thanks for not abandoning us. Melrose Messages is the only place where we can find out what the real
concerns and issues are in Melrose. The print media simply does not have the time or resources
for in-depth coverage of the issues and citizen commentaries.

I grabbed some popcorn for this one.

1 2