Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Roosevelt teacher suspended

Fifth grade teacher KM was so out of control with a student she angrily grabbed the student's desk and flipped it upside down. Some of the items in the desk hit the student. The student was physically unharmed. Word is she is suspended pending an investigation. What's next with our schools? This principal has a serious problem when she can't run her school properly after over 2 1/2 years. Yikes.

Re: Roosevelt teacher suspended

My child is friends with a child in that class. If you can trust how a child tells about an event, this teacher was so furious it was scary. She even ripped through the child's locker and backpack all over the child being unable to find their agenda book. If what my child alleged is true, this is Unreal. Unacceptable. Unnessary. Unprofessional. Unstable.

Students were told not to discuss it. No notice has been sent home about the incident so far. That school has gone down hill over the last few years. I don't know the principal but I am not hearing good things about her from other parents.

My child is in that classroom and he thought it was such a non issue that he didn't even mention it to me until I asked. He said she was not yelling or angry, just frustrated over a student who is consistently forgetting his work and disruptive all time. He also said the student laughed about it afterwards. Before you spread rumors and try to ruin a good teacher's name, try learning the facts first!

The 5th grade parents were informed via email yesterday. If you don't belong to the school you can't comment on what goes on there!

I don't belong to it, but I PAY FOR IT !

Informed parent
My child is in that classroom and he thought it was such a non issue that he didn't even mention it to me until I asked. He said she was not yelling or angry, just frustrated over a student who is consistently forgetting his work and disruptive all time. He also said the student laughed about it afterwards. Before you spread rumors and try to ruin a good teacher's name, try learning the facts first!

My student pretty much said the same. She "just dumped" the desk because it was so messy and, yes, the student thought it was funny and joked about it. With all of the playground talk, my child was nervous about being in that class originally. Now she says how much she loves her teacher and is very happy.

Well we can tell administration is planting a cover story. Tell me then, why is the teacher suspended? Again, blaming the child.

Agreed, she's a fantastic teacher!

Ditto
Informed parent

My student pretty much said the same. She "just dumped" the desk because it was so messy and, yes, the student thought it was funny and joked about it. With all of the playground talk, my child was nervous about being in that class originally. Now she says how much she loves her teacher and is very happy.

"With all of the playground talk my child was nervous about being in that class" says it all. It's pretty bad when even some of the Roosey staff who have had children at that school over the years made sure their kids didn't get her. And by the way, you're a piece if $hit for saying all those cruel things about a child.

Informed parent
If you don't belong to the school you can't comment on what goes on there!
Who belongs to a school?

Informed parent

Well. There's a typical Melrose comment for you. And in case you forgot, the schools belong to us, although you'd be hard pressed to prove it based on the attitudes of the administration.

Typical
Informed parent

Well. There's a typical Melrose comment for you. And in case you forgot, the schools belong to us, although you'd be hard pressed to prove it based on the attitudes of the administration.

The Superintendent needs to know its a problem at the Roosevelt school and many other elementary schools. This is not fair to the residents who pay a fair share in taxes. I am told PWL has numerous complaints in this school past and present. Just learning she can't perform her task and resolve the over loaded complaints from the Roosevelt School.

Never believe what you heard and only half of what you see, you idiots… the kid is a P.I.A and its causing the rest of the children to not get an education. The kid is distributive doesn’t do his work and it’s the teachers fault he’s stupid. Blame the parents not the teacher.

Dr. Uncertino
Never believe what you heard and only half of what you see, you idiots… the kid is a P.I.A and its causing the rest of the children to not get an education. The kid is distributive doesn’t do his work and it’s the teachers fault he’s stupid. Blame the parents not the teacher.

Not sure what you mean about the kid being distributive (disruptive?), but I can tell you that I have taught for almost 30 years, and have certainly had my share of PIAs. And my attitude has always been to figure out how to deal with the kid so that other kids don't have a lousy year, simply because they got the bad luck of the draw. You are right that it is probably a parental issue (although there are some really horrible kids who somehow find their way to lovely parents too)- and the teacher should understand that he or she has to deal with the kid for one year, and those parents have them for the rest of their lives. Knowing this, you do everything you can to minimize the disruption and maximize the learning for all kids. Overturning desks is really not a strategy that is going to get you anywhere- no good can come of you letting yourself get so worked up at a fifth grader that you are flipping desks. You are basically giving the kid exactly what he wants, and you are making yourself look idiotic and out of control to the rest of your students. There is no way that making this type of scene does not impact how your students view you. I understand the DESIRE to flip a desk, but I cannot understand the lack of control in actually doing it.
Yes, the kid is probably a jerk, but we deserve better behavior and greater skill from the teacher.

This is a child. A child. An elementary age child. This is not a student who physically abused others or is disrespectful, mire of a class clown. There are students in the system with severe behavioral problems that can at times be hostile. NOT THE CASE HERE. If you can't be respectful of the rights of a child then there is something seriously wrong with you. If a teacher is that upset call for help.

She did not flip a desk nor was she out of control. She tipped it over and the contents of the desk fell out to make a point to the student that he is unorganized and coddling him not going to do him any favors when he gets to middle school!

Informed parent
She did not flip a desk nor was she out of control. She tipped it over and the contents of the desk fell out to make a point to the student that he is unorganized and coddling him not going to do him any favors when he gets to middle school!

Tipping a desk over because a student doesn't have their agenda book. Rummaging through his locker. Invading his expectation and right to privacy by going through the kids backpack. All over an agenda book and that's what you call stable, rational, "nor was she out of control?"

She, "tipped it over...to make a point." What, that she can humiliate a kid in front of his peers?

You mentioned before the kid laughed. Some people laugh when they are embarrassed or compromised. Others cry. Sometimes it's a way of putting up a front, a defense mechanism when an authority figure puts you in a corner.

Finally, you have to be the cruelest person of all. I won't rewrite all the vicious statements you made about a kid. You disgust me and I'm sure many others. You are worse than the teacher.

I stated facts that a student is unorganized and disruptive in class. Nothing more. I wouldn't exactly consider that cruel!

Informed parent

"Consistently forgetting his work and disruptive all the time." Identifies student as male. Insulting to student.

I must commend the Roosevelt principal for promptly taking action against the teacher and not retaliating against the complainants ( an assumption here). Not too long ago the HM principal was caught filing a false police report against a parent and her child only one day after they had filed a formal complaint about a HM teacher with similar behavioral issues that were scaring the kids. A number of parents had also made similar complaints about this teacher but the principal simply ignored them. One of those parents was also admonished by the principal and advised that she could no longer volunteer for any school activities. How did this principal get a new contract? Crazy city we live in.

Lucky parents
I must commend the Roosevelt principal for promptly taking action against the teacher and not retaliating against the complainants ( an assumption here). Not too long ago the HM principal was caught filing a false police report against a parent and her child only one day after they had filed a formal complaint about a HM teacher with similar behavioral issues that were scaring the kids. A number of parents had also made similar complaints about this teacher but the principal simply ignored them. One of those parents was also admonished by the principal and advised that she could no longer volunteer for any school activities. How did this principal get a new contract? Crazy city we live in.

It's a sad day for the MPS when families feel they need to commend the Principal for doing their job the correct way.

Expectations
Lucky parents

It's a sad day for the MPS when families feel they need to commend the Principal for doing their job the correct way.

You are correct - especially in this current school administration and leadership! I wouldn't be surprised to learn later that this principal was admonished later by CT!

It happened to be a parent that came forward. This would of never been a issue only that another child in the room got so upset. Marybeth would of hoped this didn't escalate she has a number of issues going on and its time CT is adding them all up. The PTO parents need to listen and open up to what is going on in our school.

The city schools are under more pressure than in times before. The administration is allowing these negative movements and actions to add to the stress in the work place. The staff are unhappy and declining through out the schools. I am worried for my children because its not what we had wanted for our growing family.

The incident should be excused for the actions of the principals negligence. The blame game is already becoming a factor in this incident so have the lawyers on speed dial. The BM hopefully has taken notice on how much money has been spent on the Roosevelt School. Ms. Clery had welcomed a program to help staff cope with the problems going on within the school. Ms. Taymore had been researching into a program about a healthy working environment. All the programs have never been put into place so this teacher needed some guidance.

I get very angry reading some of these posts. No wonder the kids at the Roosevelt are P.I.A. reading some of these comments. KM had been a teacher for many, many years. While not one of my favorite people, tipping a desk over does not constitute being "out of control". Going through the locker someone mentioned invading privacy. Are you kidding me? Parents are coddling their kids and this is the result. So good luck with your unorganized, disruptive child. Apparently, many of you think this is ok. Wait till this child gets older. If this child does not do his assignments now, what makes you think he will do the assignments in high school? If this student is disruptive now, do you think he will "magically" change in high school? Also, why is this MBM's fault??????? She didn't tip a desk.

Another Voice
.....tipping a desk over does not constitute being "out of control".

Really? What does?

See, teachers cannot do a thing if a child is disruptive or unorganized. If a child is fresh or disrespectful, can't do a thing. Their hands are tied. Parents are not disciplining their children, and the teachers can't. Some parents shouldn't be parents. How many parents will forget that tomorrow is an early release day? The same poor kids will be waiting at the office for their derelict parents to be called to pick them up. See it all the time.

Okay. Let's assume that's all true. How does any of that somehow mean that tipping over a desk is acceptable behavior by a teacher? If that isn't unacceptable, what is? If a kid did it he or she should be kicked out of school for a week. I get that it's frustrating, but you can't let it got to you like that. Who's the adult in the room?

Informed parent
The 5th grade parents were informed via email yesterday. If you don't belong to the school you can't comment on what goes on there!
We all belong to the school because our property taxes fund it!

Its a sad day when a teacher humiliates a student by dumping a desk over in front of a student and peers. We all have bad days and this should of been handle with a email to parents. This student will never get over the embarrassment a teacher has brought to them. To say the least the teacher then gets the child's backpack and goes through it without permission. More Charter Schools need to be put in place.

Misinformed parent
Informed parent
We all belong to the school because our property taxes fund it!

As long as I pay taxes to the City of Melrose I absolutely will comment on what goes on there! Our taxes fund the property that school is on.

Apparently "Wrong" does not know who the student is. Believe me, this child was not traumatized or embarrassed by this episode.

There is no such phrase as "should of".

Don't Talk
Apparently "Wrong" does not know who the student is. Believe me, this child was not traumatized or embarrassed by this episode.

You're on really thin ice here.

Do you have any intention of answering my question? If tipping over a desk isn't unacceptable behavior, what is?

I am old school but here is my take. The children have become disrespectful to the teachers because they know their parents will not back up the teacher. I have volunteered at the Roosevelt and find the staff and the fifth grade team to be very nurturing and very knowledgable. Believe it or not I was impressed at the team work and exciting things they were learning. The paras, teachers, and special ed teachers were all working together to help the students.
My generation have raised our children (the parents of the Roosevelt students) to feel so entitled that they second guess and judge teachers for every little thing.
And their children know it!!
Stop .. you are not doing your children any favors. Support the teachers with their very difficult job! Your children will be more successful. These teachers are not out to hurt your children they are their to educate them. They deserve respect and yes tipping over a desk was extreme but it will not psychologically destroy the child or other children in the room! Get a grip!
Email the teachers with offers to help! If you work outside the home you could still help in many ways. The more you support the educators the more time and energy they will have for your children.
If you work together you could accomplish so much and your children will learn respect, team work, and a positive sense of community ....

This particular teacher was never nice to kids, always had a right-wing, racist bent in her attitude (ironic given her background) that routinely spilled over onto the students, and it is not at all surprising that she has now crossed over a line that even her hideous, abusive, incompetent employer could not continue to allow. There is no excuse whatsoever for the teacher's conduct, for losing it and knocking over a student's desk to prove a point and humiliate the kid, regardless of what the student did or did not provoke. This was a kind of violence and it cannot be tolerated. Cyndy has too many lawsuits on her plate already (not that she could care one iota about the kids), and she cannot abide a teacher losing it like this. Now let's see how much more she's going to put up with from some of her out-of-control administrators, starting with BC, who unloads loudly and violently on kids and students alike and should have been fired summarily long ago. This district is so, so sick.

Roos parent
This particular teacher was never nice to kids, always had a right-wing, racist bent in her attitude (ironic given her background) that routinely spilled over onto the students, and it is not at all surprising that she has now crossed over a line that even her hideous, abusive, incompetent employer could not continue to allow. There is no excuse whatsoever for the teacher's conduct, for losing it and knocking over a student's desk to prove a point and humiliate the kid, regardless of what the student did or did not provoke. This was a kind of violence and it cannot be tolerated. Cyndy has too many lawsuits on her plate already (not that she could care one iota about the kids), and she cannot abide a teacher losing it like this. Now let's see how much more she's going to put up with from some of her out-of-control administrators, starting with BC, who unloads loudly and violently on kids and students alike and should have been fired summarily long ago. This district is so, so sick.

I'll second that one on Brent Conway. He has anger management problems, is rude to staff and students, spies on employees, swears at them, has an agenda of ridding the schools of mature employees (I can hire two on your salary), drives some to leave the school humiliated and crying not to return, brings in his pals like Brandon Bates who went to the same school as he has ltd school experience 25 days of training in a school and was put in charge of a behavioral class. I think in many ways BC is worse than anyone in administration. He's a misogynist as he targets women. To big a wimp to challenge a man. No control over his school. This year alone he had students bring in knives, the boys grabbing each bothers genitals for days, called a teacher a bit©h after long-time harassment so she quit. He's gotta go.

Yeah, Mr. KickAGinger principal is a total disgrace. He has been a known liar, sociopath, misogynist, ageist, game-playing edu-nonsense-spewing weasel since he first "graced" our unfair city (but hailed as "incredible" and possibly the next super by our very own self-proclaimed "educational expert" on the SC). Any decent community would have booted him and virtually all the other miserable cast of administrators now polluting this district. There truly isn't a good one among them at this point (thanks CT!). He has had many incidents of hatred and violence in his school, and he has led the charge when it comes to zero self-control or professionalism when it comes to unleashing on anyone and everyone. Kick a Ginger Day with 12 assaulted students during the course of a whole day would NEVER have happened under Mr. Brow, who would have shut this down after the first stupidity, just as none of those excellent veteran teachers would have left in dismay and disgust (or suing the district for being called a "B").

Class parent of Roosevelt studento
Fifth grade teacher KM was so out of control with a student she angrily grabbed the student's desk and flipped it upside down. Some of the items in the desk hit the student. The student was physically unharmed. Word is she is suspended pending an investigation. What's next with our schools? This principal has a serious problem when she can't run her school properly after over 2 1/2 years. Yikes.[/q

When the district and taxes payers find out the principal at the Rosie is costing Melrose money that's when they will listen. Its a very unhappy school and more teachers are leaving.

So we are wondering why a 5th grade teacher gets suspended for tipping a desk, yet the band teacher in the high school drops f'bombs and screams obscenities all the time. This guy is crazy and should be the one bounced. But this guy will get away with it and the admin that evaluates him has a son that the band teacher will appoint drum major. Funny how things like this happen in Melrose Public. My guess is that if KM yelled fbombs she would be fired.

What's the difference?
So we are wondering why a 5th grade teacher gets suspended for tipping a desk, yet the band teacher in the high school drops f'bombs and screams obscenities all the time. This guy is crazy and should be the one bounced. But this guy will get away with it and the admin that evaluates him has a son that the band teacher will appoint drum major. Funny how things like this happen in Melrose Public. My guess is that if KM yelled fbombs she would be fired.

Very typical. Not only is KT a total suckup but quite dumb as well, someone who's advanced up the Peter Principle ladder while lacking the ability to put two sentences together properly. Allowing the vile loose band cannon to menace the kids and staff (and parents) is just another in the litany of aberrant conduct that gets a pass under the reign of CT and her equally vile and incompetent team. But then this guy has managed to seduce CT, KT, and suck-up immature parents like LF into his nasty little web with some kind of charm only the most insecure could possibly fall for. One of these days there will be a major scandal around this one that none of them can hide. He's already cost the district big bucks in litigation and an external consultant CT brought in to investigate legitimate claims of harassment of female staff, hidden by CT and her buds on the SC of course. But it happened and we paid for it. A decent school system would never have hired such awful people in the first place, but they most certainly would have fired them quickly when their true colors were revaled. In the case of this guy, he was dropping F-bombs in the classroom in his first weeks here. No excuse. Just a totally toxic and stupid atmosphere fostered by parents like KT, LF and their band/MEF acolytes who continually prop up a disgusting system.

Nastiness Unbounded
What's the difference?

Very typical. Not only is KT a total suckup but quite dumb as well, someone who's advanced up the Peter Principle ladder while lacking the ability to put two sentences together properly. Allowing the vile loose band cannon to menace the kids and staff (and parents) is just another in the litany of aberrant conduct that gets a pass under the reign of CT and her equally vile and incompetent team. But then this guy has managed to seduce CT, KT, and suck-up immature parents like LF into his nasty little web with some kind of charm only the most insecure could possibly fall for. One of these days there will be a major scandal around this one that none of them can hide. He's already cost the district big bucks in litigation and an external consultant CT brought in to investigate legitimate claims of harassment of female staff, hidden by CT and her buds on the SC of course. But it happened and we paid for it. A decent school system would never have hired such awful people in the first place, but they most certainly would have fired them quickly when their true colors were revaled. In the case of this guy, he was dropping F-bombs in the classroom in his first weeks here. No excuse. Just a totally toxic and stupid atmosphere fostered by parents like KT, LF and their band/MEF acolytes who continually prop up a disgusting system.

Please don't tell me you are still talking about Mr. Reppucci? Was he also born in Melrose?

What ended up happening with this desk-flipping teacher? Does anyone know how it was handled? Were parents in the classroom informed of anything?

MBM is the perfect henchman for CT who has driven away some of the district's best-ever educators, including NI, who was abused and threatened with punitive action simply for doing her job and standing up for what students need.

KM was never a particularly nice person but was a competent teacher. No doubt she, like so many others (not only at Roos, but certainly there in that chronically mismanaged hellhole), was pushed to the snapping point by a regime that is without scruples or basic understanding of what being a teacher is supposed to mean.

It's no better Ms. PerkyBouncyWindowTreatments JC or Mr. RageMachine MCAD-Generator BC or Mr Blond SS Babblemouth at W, or Ms FileRestrainingOrdersOn10-year-olds at HM or Ms OopsDidn'tMeanToCallDCFonInnocentParentsToDestroyTheirFamilies at L. This chaos has been going on for more than 4 years (more actually, Joe's regime was totally awful in a different kind of way).

She returned to her classroom on Thursday! The 5th grade parents got an e-mail stating that she was returning, but no other information was given. I think it was ridiculous that was gone in the first place, but I'm so glad she is back!

Lawyers on both sides got involved in this case. The parents are so nice and did not want to see harm done to a long term teacher. The principal will send a notice to the 5th grade. Ms. Maronto is part of the problem in the Roosevelt. I have watched the staff deteriorate fast.

Roos
MBM is the perfect henchman for CT who has driven away some of the district's best-ever educators, including NI, who was abused and threatened with punitive action simply for doing her job and standing up for what students need.

KM was never a particularly nice person but was a competent teacher. No doubt she, like so many others (not only at Roos, but certainly there in that chronically mismanaged hellhole), was pushed to the snapping point by a regime that is without scruples or basic understanding of what being a teacher is supposed to mean.

It's no better Ms. PerkyBouncyWindowTreatments JC or Mr. RageMachine MCAD-Generator BC or Mr Blond SS Babblemouth at W, or Ms FileRestrainingOrdersOn10-year-olds at HM or Ms OopsDidn'tMeanToCallDCFonInnocentParentsToDestroyTheirFamilies at L. This chaos has been going on for more than 4 years (more actually, Joe's regime was totally awful in a different kind of way).

You wrote this perfect! It is a hellhole and mismanaged by one henchman MBM!!!

Yes, very well done and chronicles the pervasive ignorance, arrogance, incompetence, and abuse of power throughout the district for the past decade. The School Committee and voters are ultimately responsible. Hold them accountable and demand long overdue corrective action, beginning with the summary dismissals FOR CAUSE of the superintendent and working downwards through the administrative rot.

Write, show up and speak (witness for yourselves the abusiveness and fraudulent actions of the SC and CT). If you don't step up and start being part of the solution, you will continue to be part of the problem. While you may deserve this lousy governance, your children and the community's children do not.

The city of Melrose is 99% white so you should know the out come that will happen so don't use the race card. People come here to live because of that reason so stop playing the race card.

1 2