Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
High School

March 14, 2018 the seniors will walk out of MHS for 17 minutes around ten o'clock. The protest is to enforce new gun laws. Power to all the students at MHS.:calendar:

Re: High School

I suspect this poster just wants a reaction, but I will respond anyway. If you really want a brilliant explanation of why these walkouts (that will be happening all over MA) are completely pointless and a thorough waste of time, I encourage you to head over to turtleboysports.com and read their article about the Somerville High kids who are going to stage these walkouts every Wednesday...for eternity, I guess. It is a hilarious and accurate take on these kids who just protest for protest sake. They don't even know what they are walking out for really. But, they are going to get out of school to protest in a state where all of our elected officials already agree with them, and where we have very strict gun laws.

Turtleboysports is a website for racists and idiots who like laughing at homeless people. It is truly charming.

Also, what if the students care about Federal policy? Considering we live so close to NH and ME (states with incredibly LAX gun control laws) they apply to people living here as well.

I assure you that the kids KNOW 100% WHY they are protesting. The kids you alright... you, on the other hand, not so much.

And we didn’t know why we were protesting in the 60’s/70’s? Please!

Geezer
And we didn’t know why we were protesting in the 60’s/70’s? Please!
I am guessing that you did know why you were protesting in the 60's. I suspect that many high schoolers have a clue why they are protesting. However, I have heard of multiple districts (including the one I work in) where they are staging these same walkouts at the middle schools. I really am not in favor of that for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I don't want 12 year-olds to learn that they should blindly protest. I am not sure that 12 year-olds can fully form an opinion about gun laws, but since their classmates (and teachers) are going to participate in a walkout, they will too. Personally meaningful protest is fine. Blind protesting is just encouraging ignorance.

True that

It is encouraging to see our high school kids being politically active for a good cause. The two old grumpy posters didn't have to go to school worrying if someone will wander in and start shooting a semi or fully automatic assault rifle because they were illegal for civilian use back when they went to school.

Nope, we didn't worry about some maniac shooting up the school with an AR. We worried about the Russians dropping an H-bomb on our heads.

I wish Florida, the strength to fight for strict laws like Melrose, Ma. This state is blessed.

I would argue that MA is no more "blessed" than anywhere, nor do we have any more "strength" than FLA. That's just crazy-talk. I also am not sure that this walkout shows any "power" on the part of our high schoolers. I suspect that these walkouts will yield nothing, and if that is the case, they will only succeed in making the kids feel good about themselves in the short term. That is fine with me, but it won't make them feel powerful. Regardless of how you feel, I encourage you to visit this website: https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-faq to read about what the goals of these walkouts are. I was fine with it, when my kid said they were walking out in support of the victims, and in support of stronger laws for school safety (I am not really sure what stronger laws we actually need, but it still seemed harmless). Then, I went to the website, and realized we have yet another example of politically extreme adults highjacking an event that should be run by the kids. In the process, they have lumped a whole bunch of other issues in with this walkout- I am talking about police brutality, BLM issues, militarized policing, and imperialist foreign policy (not kidding). When I showed this to my child and his friends, and we talked about it, they decided not to participate. These are not their issues. They are not part and parcel of school safety issues. Again, these are adults choosing to politicize this to extremes that were not intended by the Parkland kids. I am wondering what is in place for kids who choose not to participate in the walkout. I have emailed and asked, but have not received a response yet.

The walk on March 14th, was agreed with the superintendent for the victims and stronger gun control. CT, of course would change the walk to be against, the president of the United States. I will not walk for the BLM issues, police brutality, militarized policing, and imperialist foreign policy. The students, staff, and parents were told false information.

I will not walk out of school for all this other stuff. It was to be for strict gun control and Florida victims this is BS.

Not Really
I would argue that MA is no more "blessed" than anywhere, nor do we have any more "strength" than FLA. That's just crazy-talk. I also am not sure that this walkout shows any "power" on the part of our high schoolers. I suspect that these walkouts will yield nothing, and if that is the case, they will only succeed in making the kids feel good about themselves in the short term. That is fine with me, but it won't make them feel powerful. Regardless of how you feel, I encourage you to visit this website: https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-faq to read about what the goals of these walkouts are. I was fine with it, when my kid said they were walking out in support of the victims, and in support of stronger laws for school safety (I am not really sure what stronger laws we actually need, but it still seemed harmless). Then, I went to the website, and realized we have yet another example of politically extreme adults highjacking an event that should be run by the kids. In the process, they have lumped a whole bunch of other issues in with this walkout- I am talking about police brutality, BLM issues, militarized policing, and imperialist foreign policy (not kidding). When I showed this to my child and his friends, and we talked about it, they decided not to participate. These are not their issues. They are not part and parcel of school safety issues. Again, these are adults choosing to politicize this to extremes that were not intended by the Parkland kids. I am wondering what is in place for kids who choose not to participate in the walkout. I have emailed and asked, but have not received a response yet.
It doesn't say they have to be against those things. The walkout is for what it is for. Ending gun violence. It just notes that it is a prism and through the white light of Parkland entering it, it can show the entire spectrum of what gun violence does to America. It also notes that the March is not for increased police activity in schools (a Republican "do nothing about guns but do SOMETHING" approach at a solution).

So, talk your kids out of whatever you want since they mentioned "brown" people. I'm sure your kids decided on their own that it wasn't "their" issue since they live in lily-white Melrose.

Not Really
Not Really: You really don't understand, do you?

This website simply provided a platform for the kids to organize. Every individual march at these different schools will have their own organizers, speakers and perhaps . You are a hypocrite; you are the one who has hijacked your kid's participation in a peaceful march against gun violence and convinced them of a falsehood, namely that radical adults have somehow hijacked these individual marches that are taking place at high schools all over the country. Gather your NRA, GOP, and White supremacist flags and have your own march, loser

Peaceful march against gun violence.Yes walkout shows any "power" It will. High schools all over the country.Just look at the news.

student at MHS
I will not walk out of school for all this other stuff. It was to be for strict gun control and Florida victims this is BS.
I know who posted this. He is in my AP Calc class. He picks his nose and EATS IT! And even worse, he calls hamburgers STEAMED HAMS!!! What is he, from Albany or something?

I think it is you who doesn't understand.
"It doesn't say they have to be against those things. The walkout is for what it is for." So, if the school walkout is associating with this site (and Melrose is listed on the site), the walkout is for what the site says it is for, and all of these things ARE included.
"This website simply provided a platform for the kids to organize." Nope. If it is "just a platform", it wouldn't have a manifesto-like statement, like the one it currently has.
I oppose walkouts for the sake of walkouts, and if my child wants to participate in a walkout, I want him to understand and believe in the cause. I don't want him walking out because everyone else is or his teachers are, or any other reason than to support something he is on board with. I am not highjacking his experience. I am teaching and guiding him to be a really critical observer and participant in political activism, and to not get used by people who have agendas other than his own. I would think that everyone would agree with that sentiment, but apparently you are okay with kids just blindly protesting everything under the sun. You are fine with ignorant political protest. Would it be okay with you if your child supported the right to free speech by participating in a walkout sponsored by some alt-right group that had "free speech" as ONE of the causes listed on their webpage? Doubt it.
This walkout could have been focused on school safety and laws to help achieve that. This, unfortunately, is not that. I don't want my child being used as a pawn for a group that has decided to expand the meaning of these walkouts. This will get reported as thousands of kids walking out in support of all of these causes (not the original meaning of the walkout). If you think that this will be presented in the press as solely about school safety, then it really is you who doesn't understand. Also, it is a shame that you can view someone who is working hard to raise a child to be politically aware in such a way that you find it perfectly fine to label and degrade me when you don't know me at all. For the record, I don't identify with "NRA, GOP, and White supremacist flags", and I never mentioned "brown people". These are clearly triggers for you, and you use them when someone has a different view from your own.

We have encouraged our children to participate in the walkout. High School and college activism is the only way the gun laws will change. Democrat and Republican voters simply dig in along party lines and call each other names...nothing will ever change on the current course. Kids got the U.S. out of Vietnam, tore down the Berlin wall and are responsible for many of the major shifts in political stalemates the globe has seen in the last 100 years. Encourage the kids to rise up and call out the NRA and their political flunkies...they are the victims and the only way Washington will hear is if the victims force them to.

If the walk were to be for the reason told to us from the superintendent and principal that's ok. Now, it is to be against police my dad, uncle and cousin are all police officers so no thanks.

There are some historical similarities. The student movement in the 60's and 70's was co-opted by radical groups like the SDS and SLA. It wasn't until Vietnam veterans themselves began to get actively involved that the "cause" began to advance significantly.

There are always going to be "special interest groups" that attempt to twist legitimate civic causes to their own agendas. Many of the groups cited on that site fit that bill. It's up to us to minimize their impact.

I am a gun owner, and a veteran. I do not own an assault weapon, and am not a hunter, so I also own no other long guns. The only thing you're hunting with an assault weapon - a weapon of war - is people. No one other than military and police should be able to possess them. If the day ever comes that I really need an AR or AK, it will already be too late.

Years ago you could mail order a Thompson .45 cal submachine gun. Think about that for a minute!

Not Really
"It doesn't say they have to be against those things. The walkout is for what it is for." So, if the school walkout is associating with this site (and Melrose is listed on the site), the walkout is for what the site says it is for, and all of these things ARE included.
"This website simply provided a platform for the kids to organize." Nope. If it is "just a platform", it wouldn't have a manifesto-like statement, like the one it currently has.
I oppose walkouts for the sake of walkouts, and if my child wants to participate in a walkout, I want him to understand and believe in the cause. I don't want him walking out because everyone else is or his teachers are, or any other reason than to support something he is on board with. I am not highjacking his experience. I am teaching and guiding him to be a really critical observer and participant in political activism, and to not get used by people who have agendas other than his own. I would think that everyone would agree with that sentiment, but apparently you are okay with kids just blindly protesting everything under the sun. You are fine with ignorant political protest. Would it be okay with you if your child supported the right to free speech by participating in a walkout sponsored by some alt-right group that had "free speech" as ONE of the causes listed on their webpage? Doubt it.
This walkout could have been focused on school safety and laws to help achieve that. This, unfortunately, is not that. I don't want my child being used as a pawn for a group that has decided to expand the meaning of these walkouts. This will get reported as thousands of kids walking out in support of all of these causes (not the original meaning of the walkout). If you think that this will be presented in the press as solely about school safety, then it really is you who doesn't understand. Also, it is a shame that you can view someone who is working hard to raise a child to be politically aware in such a way that you find it perfectly fine to label and degrade me when you don't know me at all. For the record, I don't identify with "NRA, GOP, and White supremacist flags", and I never mentioned "brown people". These are clearly triggers for you, and you use them when someone has a different view from your own.
"Manifesto-like statement".. .You what an ever-loving joke you are! That statement gives away everything about your already obvious political leanings you are passing on to you kid. You are making them think like you, not think for themselves. Recognize that. I challenge anyone to read that 3 sentance statement that so offended you and call if a freaking MANIFESTO!

You are the one who is triggered. The "brown people" comes from the statement itself that you find soooo offensive. Seriously, your kid is a little turd and you are worse. I'm sure you are soooo concerned about the message. You don't like race issues. Just say it.

You'll never have to have a conversation with your child about how to no get shot by the police because you are white and from a modestly rich suburb. Good thing you raised your little prince to be as much of a myopic slug as you.

I'm sure you pride yourself on your intelligence based on the length of your ridiculous missives, but you seriously lack any form of empathy or understanding. In order words, eat it, loser.

Triggered
Not Really
"Manifesto-like statement".. .You what an ever-loving joke you are! That statement gives away everything about your already obvious political leanings you are passing on to you kid. You are making them think like you, not think for themselves. Recognize that. I challenge anyone to read that 3 sentance statement that so offended you and call if a freaking MANIFESTO!

You are the one who is triggered. The "brown people" comes from the statement itself that you find soooo offensive. Seriously, your kid is a little turd and you are worse. I'm sure you are soooo concerned about the message. You don't like race issues. Just say it.

You'll never have to have a conversation with your child about how to no get shot by the police because you are white and from a modestly rich suburb. Good thing you raised your little prince to be as much of a myopic slug as you.

I'm sure you pride yourself on your intelligence based on the length of your ridiculous missives, but you seriously lack any form of empathy or understanding. In order words, eat it, loser.
I don't really care about your "message board fight" with Not Really. I may or may not agree with what she/he had to say and I don't care enough about your opinion to try to explain my views here but Not Really wins the fight of civility hands down. You sound absolutely crazy. You're the problem for people who lean progressive. You fall into outrageous and insulting defensiveness at the drop of a hat and I'm sure you'll disagree with me, but I am telling you as a very moderate to left-leaning person that it detracts from your point of view. You go off the rails even insulting this person's kid? Nobody wants to hear that.
Stick to the facts, cut out the name-calling, try to have an actual discussion maybe. Or, how about just don't respond.

I agree. There wasn't anything in the post to get so excited about. Try Xanax- works better than valium.

Clown Alert! This string belongs in the Bozo Hall of Fame. Two Melrose Messages lunatics arguing over something that is extremely difficult to follow because its completely incoherent. A linguist couldn't follow this string. Maybe you need a charter school English teacher or the head of the department from some second rate parochial school. They definitely speak the MM language Normally you nut jobs are in lock step with each other. Fighting among yourselves is entertaining. This is good. Keep it up, the ignorance shines through.

Poor CP - reduced to total insignificance.

Hey CP, Should'nt you be cheerleading in Lynnfield now? :sweat_smile: :yum: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lynnfield? Dolan leaving was like hitting the Clown Patrol lottery. You losers have to whine and complain about someone else now. Your Dolan stuff was so ad nauseum it wasn't fun sh*tting on the bozo brigade anymore. How'd Monica do in the bid for the Mayor's interim spot. How will Jerry make out in the ward 5 interim alderman runoff. You are an irrelevant bunch of clowns. I'm still laughing at you fools after November's election. Honk, Honk...can't wait to see what the next big gripe is.

March 14, 2018 the seniors will walk out of MHS for 17 minutes around ten o'clock. The protest is to enforce new gun laws. Power to all the students at MHS.For the victims and stronger gun control.

The sad thing is that CP doesn't even grasp that he/she has become irrelevant. Such a shame.

Another MHS Student
student at MHS
I know who posted this. He is in my AP Calc class. He picks his nose and EATS IT! And even worse, he calls hamburgers STEAMED HAMS!!! What is he, from Albany or something?
Obviously another bad habit he picked (pun intended) up from his Dad,( who apparently won't let him march). Maybe Dad should let him think for himself. BTW, I have nothing against people from Albany.
Daddy, isapparently trying to mold his son into the same loser he is. The poor kid doesn't stand a chance but I wish him well.

Not Really
Not sure where your reading this. Fox News possibly? This is directly from the web site you directed everyone to.

"A mass school walkout, led by youth, to protest Congress’ inaction to do more than tweet thoughts and prayers after school shootings. We need action. We demand Congress pass sensible legislation that would help keep us and our loved ones safe from gun violence at school, and beyond. Since Sandy Hook there have been over 200 school shootings resulting in over 400 people shot since sandy hook.
Why?
Students and staff have the right to teach and learn in an environment free from the worry of being gunned down in their classrooms.
Parents have the right to send their kids to school in the mornings and see them home alive at the end of the day.
We must demand our elected officials do the job they were elected to do — keep us safe. Congress needs to do more than tweet thoughts and prayers after school shootings. They must take meaningful action to pass sensible federal gun reform legislation that will greatly reduce school shootings and save the lives of students and teachers.
DEMAND CONGRESS:
+ Ban Assault Weapons Ban and High Capacity Magazines
+ Expand Background Checks to All Gun Sales
+ Pass Federal Gun Violence Restraining Order Law
+ Fund government research on gun violence
+ Promote Safe Storage

What exactly do you find offensive about the goals of the march such that it would cause you to not want your son to march??

Clown Patrol
Clown Alert! This string belongs in the Bozo Hall of Fame. Two Melrose Messages lunatics arguing over something that is extremely difficult to follow because its completely incoherent. A linguist couldn't follow this string. Maybe you need a charter school English teacher or the head of the department from some second rate parochial school. They definitely speak the MM language Normally you nut jobs are in lock step with each other. Fighting among yourselves is entertaining. This is good. Keep it up, the ignorance shines through.
Oops. Someone forgot to tell Clown Patrol that the clown car has already left for Lynnfield. You know what's not funny Linda? Telling unsuspecting naïve couples that Melrose has great schools (definitely not) just to sell overpriced homes.

Or that Melrose city Hall and School Department strive to be inclusive and welcoming to all, Sorry but nothing could be further from the truth. Just read the Office of Civil rights determination letter. Certain people in the city solicitors office and school administration have tried their darnedest to threaten victims AND witnesses to keep their mouths shut about civil rights violations and abusive behavior towards our most vulnerable students. A serious Civil Rights violation, criminal in nature, in fact, as they were using the powers of their office as well as public resources, the local police,SRO and the courts to threaten and intimidate victims and witnesses in order to get them to back down. Massachusetts General Law, defines this behavior as criminal extortion:

Section 25. Whoever, verbally or by a written or printed communication, maliciously threatens to accuse another of a crime or offence, or by a verbal or written or printed communication maliciously threatens an injury to the person or property of another, or any police officer or person having the powers of a police officer, or any officer, or public employee who verbally or by written or printed communication maliciously and unlawfully uses or threatens to use against another the power or authority vested in him, with intent thereby to extort money or with intent to compel any person to do any act against his will, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than fifteen years, or in the house of correction for not more than two and one half years, or by a fine of not more than five thousand dollars, or both.

HuH?? Fake news
Not Really
I think it is you who doesn\'t understand.
\"It doesn\'t say they have to be against those things. The walkout is for what it is for.\" So, if the school walkout is associating with this site (and Melrose is listed on the site), the walkout is for what the site says it is for, and all of these things ARE included.
\"This website simply provided a platform for the kids to organize.\" Nope. If it is \"just a platform\", it wouldn\'t have a manifesto-like statement, like the one it currently has.
I oppose walkouts for the sake of walkouts, and if my child wants to participate in a walkout, I want him to understand and believe in the cause. I don\'t want him walking out because everyone else is or his teachers are, or any other reason than to support something he is on board with. I am not highjacking his experience. I am teaching and guiding him to be a really critical observer and participant in political activism, and to not get used by people who have agendas other than his own. I would think that everyone would agree with that sentiment, but apparently you are okay with kids just blindly protesting everything under the sun. You are fine with ignorant political protest. Would it be okay with you if your child supported the right to free speech by participating in a walkout sponsored by some alt-right group that had \"free speech\" as ONE of the causes listed on their webpage? Doubt it.
This walkout could have been focused on school safety and laws to help achieve that. This, unfortunately, is not that. I don\'t want my child being used as a pawn for a group that has decided to expand the meaning of these walkouts. This will get reported as thousands of kids walking out in support of all of these causes (not the original meaning of the walkout). If you think that this will be presented in the press as solely about school safety, then it really is you who doesn\'t understand. Also, it is a shame that you can view someone who is working hard to raise a child to be politically aware in such a way that you find it perfectly fine to label and degrade me when you don\'t know me at all. For the record, I don\'t identify with \"NRA, GOP, and White supremacist flags\", and I never mentioned \"brown people\". These are clearly triggers for you, and you use them when someone has a different view from your own.
Not sure where your reading this. Fox News possibly? This is directly from the web site you directed everyone to.

"A mass school walkout, led by youth, to protest Congress’ inaction to do more than tweet thoughts and prayers after school shootings. We need action. We demand Congress pass sensible legislation that would help keep us and our loved ones safe from gun violence at school, and beyond. Since Sandy Hook there have been over 200 school shootings resulting in over 400 people shot since sandy hook.
Why?
Students and staff have the right to teach and learn in an environment free from the worry of being gunned down in their classrooms.
Parents have the right to send their kids to school in the mornings and see them home alive at the end of the day.
We must demand our elected officials do the job they were elected to do — keep us safe. Congress needs to do more than tweet thoughts and prayers after school shootings. They must take meaningful action to pass sensible federal gun reform legislation that will greatly reduce school shootings and save the lives of students and teachers.
DEMAND CONGRESS:
+ Ban Assault Weapons Ban and High Capacity Magazines
+ Expand Background Checks to All Gun Sales
+ Pass Federal Gun Violence Restraining Order Law
+ Fund government research on gun violence
+ Promote Safe Storage

What exactly do you find offensive about the goals of the march such that it would cause you to not want your son to march??

Just clarifying for you- No worries, because I don't really care- my kid will participate in the walkout (doesn't matter or bother me if someone else's kid decides not to) but this is what the earlier poster was referring to. I get their point. There is a lot lumped in here, and the media will use it for a variety of (probably) twisted purposes on both sides. I just don't care because I think for a lot of kids, they're just taking a little mid-morning break. All good.
Can we move on now?

https://www.womensmarch.com/enough-faq

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?

We are living in an age where young people like us do not feel safe in our schools. This issue is personal for all of us, especially for those of us who are survivors of gun violence. We are walking out for ALL people who have experienced gun violence, including systemic forms of gun violence that disproportionately impact teens in Black and Brown communities. It is important that when we refer to gun violence, we do not overlook the impact of police brutality and militarized policing, or see police in schools as a solution. We also recognize the United States has exported gun violence through imperialist foreign policy to destabilize other nations. We raise our voices for action against all these forms of gun violence.

Ahhh...Waka, Waka, Waka

Did no one ever tell you you'll go blind doing that?

March 14, 2018 the seniors will walk out of MHS for 17 minutes around ten o'clock. The protest is to enforce new gun laws. Power to all the students at MHS.For the victims and stronger gun control.

Ahhh...Wakka, Wakka, Wakka

THE ADULTS HAVE NOW COMPLICATED THIS WALK FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. Of all the potential targets for propaganda, children and young adults are the most vulnerable because they are the least prepared with the critical reasoning and contextual comprehension they need to determine whether a message is propaganda or not.

Actually, the most lax are those of Vermont. You know, the state with the lowest murder and violent crime rate in New England.

It really isn't funny. These School Committee Members just marched right past the heinous actions of their sole employee (yes, we know the one exception, that goes without saying now). They carried on as if their agenda actually means something, as if it is anything but a game and a showcase to continuously polish their public image.

Jamie
THE ADULTS HAVE NOW COMPLICATED THIS WALK FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. Of all the potential targets for propaganda, children and young adults are the most vulnerable because they are the least prepared with the critical reasoning and contextual comprehension they need to determine whether a message is propaganda or not.
The walk is all PROPAGANDA!!!

How did the walkout go today?

It went VERY well! At the prescribed time, there wasn’t a single student in the building.

Not Really
Well said!

You should see the obvious hijacking of the walkout attempted in the lower grades. They want to coerce the youngest children to sit in "Kindness Community Circles" to "take serious our call to model kindness, empathy and inclusivity in school and in the community."

No. You will not brainwash my children with this nonsense. My children will be taught logic and reason. Not emotions and sophistry. And they will be well equiped to dismantle the positions of the people who try to push this nonsense on them.

This is about being focused on school safety and laws to help achieve that.

Was the walkout canceled because of the snow day?

Next Wednesday same time same channel. The walk is for everything but the kitchen sink.

If they were so "grass roots", "passionate" and fired up about this issue that is just so important to them, you would think they could have managed to assemble and protest somewhere, even on the snow day... I guess the issue isn't important enough to get out of bed and stand in the cold on a day you have off from school. Only important when you are going to get time out of class, I guess. Yup- power to the people, alright.

Instead of a walkout during education hours, why don't the hold a rally on Saturday morning around 9 AM. Let's see how many show up.

Still divided in Melrose between blacks and whites. The walk out was at ten on Wednesday. No police you could only hear the police cruisers sirens going off. A few students spoke about the issues and one girl said "this is a community of mostly white people and we need to stick together." Blacks stick together more than whites as they should.

1 2