Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MVMMS students targeted, beaten

Why isn't information like this distributed to all MPS parents? We need to start addressing such issues with our children, in age appropriate language and age appropriate information given.

Reminds me of the KICK A GINGER DAY at MVMMS a couple of years back under Conway. At that meeting between Principal Conway and staff, Conway stated he reviewed all of the school's security camera footage from that incident. He informed us on those tapes students were running down the hallways in terror and that not one teacher intervened. The students were not even reprimanded for running down the halls. Kids were traumatized, bleeding, it was that bad as this was a "Lord of the Flies" action, mob mentality. MVMMS students took this idea from the tv show, SOUTH PARK, then decided to use it as a ruse to target and attack others visciously. While Conway's letter is I'm sure sincere that he doesn't want kids harmed, most of the bad things that happen start at the school. Conway's inability to handle running MVMMS and ineffective handling of past events only prove to be a way of making himself appear to be the superhero who will protect our kids. Don't hold your breath. You only hear a tenth of what happens in that MVMMS. His lack of respect for students and staff alike is inexcusable, He called a teacher a bitc*, caused an Excellent long-term SPED teacher to leave the school in years never to return for advocating for students etc... Please read his ENTIRE letter. PARENTS, please stop saying, My kid would never do this. Some won't, some will. Time for a talk with your kids.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

On Sunday, June 3, 2018, 6:03 PM, MELROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL wrote:

A message from MELROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL

June 3, 2018

Dear Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School Families:

Over the weekend, we have received information that a group of our Middle School students targeted, harassed, and physically assaulted a fellow student after school on Friday afternoon off school property. The actions of these students, which included both physical violence and hateful language toward another student, is abhorrent and incompatible with the values we teach at MVMMS and with all of the work we have done to make it a safe and supportive school. While the incident did not occur in school or on school property, it certainly impacts our students and we have an obligation to intervene. As soon as we learned of the report of these actions, we immediately began collaborating with Melrose Police Department and are in the process of addressing the situation, including providing all necessary interventions to any victims of this conduct.

The safety and well-being of our students at school is of the highest concern to the Melrose Public Schools. We have immediately taken steps to ensure the safety of the victim of this conduct and, we will continue to engage in a thorough investigation of this matter to determine the scope of the issue and to speak to other potentially impacted students. Law enforcement will be included throughout this process. On the school level, we have instituted, and will continue to institute, as appropriate, corrective and remedial action upon those students responsible for these actions.

The initial purpose of this letter is to ensure that you learned of this incident directly from me and to inform you directly of the Melrose Public Schools’ prompt response to these concerns.

The second purpose of this letter to ask for your assistance. From what we have learned so far, there are serious allegations of harassment through both written electronic communications (e.g., social media, texts, etc.) and through the dissemination of video depicting the harassment and physical assault. We are concerned that the continued dissemination of the video by students may further exacerbate the experience of the victim. For those who continue to disseminate it, it may also be a violation of cyber bullying laws or a violation of the school code of conduct. For that reason, to limit the impact that any continued dissemination of the videos may have upon those affected by the conduct, most notably the victim of this conduct, we are requesting that you speak with your children and ask them not to disseminate the video to other students. Also, to assist us in the investigation, if your child is in possession of a video or social media post related to these actions, we are requesting that you provide copies of relevant videos and/or social media posts to me as Principal or to the Melrose Police Department.

I want to express my gratitude to the individuals who had the strength and fortitude to come forward with this information. The school depends upon the prompt and decisive action of our students, staff and community members. I also want to let any victims of this conduct know that they have the full support of the school behind them. While these events are extremely disheartening, I am hopeful that we can come together as a community to provide support to the students and families impacted by this event to ensure that they know that the actions of a few do not reflect the sentiments and feelings our community. I would also like to thank the middle school staff and the Melrose Police Department, who continue to respond to this matter promptly and professionally over the weekend to ensure the protection, health and safety of all of our students. At this time, I have shared all of the information that state and federal laws regarding student privacy permit me to share. School staff and I will continue to promptly and proactively address any threat to the safety and well-being of our students and thank you in advance for joining in this effort by speaking with your children about these concerns and the importance of reporting any such matters to the school.

Sincerely,

Brent Conway

MVMMS Principal

--

Brent Conway
MVMMS Principal
Melrose Public Schools

If you need this document translated, please contact your school principal.

Si necesita este documento traducido, por favor comuníquese con el director de la escuela.

Se você precisa este documento traduzido, entre em contato seu director a escola.

Si vous avez besoin de traduire ce document, s'il vous plaît contacter votre directeur d'école.

如果您需要本文件翻譯 , 請連絡您所在的學校負責人。
إدا كنت تحتاج/تحتاجين لترجمة هذه الوثيقة، المرجو مراسلة مدير المدرسة

Re: MVMMS students targeted, beaten

Same old.

I see our tax dollar has yet again gone to the P.R. factory, hard at work spinning yet another web of lies. Anyone who believes the B.S. that nothing happened at school must be syphening their water from El Pond to avoid the over-inflated water bills. You think kids aren't texting, on media outlets about this? You must be stupider than you look, and I don't need see your face. Little Man thinks we're too ignorant to be able to tell $hit from $hinola. If this is leading by example than we might as well hang it up.

Melrose, MA
Principal: Melrose Students Injured on 'Kick a Ginger Day'
Many red-headed students at Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School were targeted and kicked last Friday.
By Frank O'Laughlin | Nov 25, 2015 11:05 am ET
Principal: Melrose Students Injured on Kick a Ginger Day

Melrose Schools
Many red-headed students at Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School were left injured after their fellow classmates participated in “Kick a Ginger Day” last Friday, the school’s principal explained in an email to parents.
According to Principal Brent Conway, the students were targeted solely because they had red hair. Some students were “subject to mild leg taps and comments,” Conway noted, but many others were “physically kicked by students who were acting aggressively.”

Some students sustained injuries as a result of the incident, which was influenced by an episode of South Park, the Melrose Free Press first reported.
The school plans to meet with students involved, as well as their families.
As of this time, the situation is not being investigated as a criminal matter.

©2018 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

Enough with blaming the schools when a crowd of spoiled kids pick on another kid. The parents of these kids should be publicly flogged on the common, or better yet the knoll. Behavior would stop in a millisecond. Biggest issue in the Melrose Public School System is bad parenting. Not saying there aren't a bunch of other issues, just saying bad parenting is a primary cause of many behavioral and academic issues...from bullying to teenage drinking, to too many kids leaving for school unprepared and over tired. Bring back public flogging. I'll pay for the whipping post.

Simple Solution
Enough with blaming the schools when a crowd of spoiled kids pick on another kid. The parents of these kids should be publicly flogged on the common, or better yet the knoll. Behavior would stop in a millisecond. Biggest issue in the Melrose Public School System is bad parenting. Not saying there aren't a bunch of other issues, just saying bad parenting is a primary cause of many behavioral and academic issues...from bullying to teenage drinking, to too many kids leaving for school unprepared and over tired. Bring back public flogging. I'll pay for the whipping post.
Public flogging? You're an idiot without a logical solution. Yes parents need to do their job but the school is just as responsible. MPS/MVMMS are irresponsible and negligent in their duty to provide a safe learning environment. Kids made a horribly bad decision, but they are kids with kid brains and reason. Adults in that school who should do the right thing turn a blind eye. You've been run down. You've been lied to.

This doesn't happen in Melrose.

Sincerely,
Real Estate Agents

AllmanBros.
Simple Solution
Enough with blaming the schools when a crowd of spoiled kids pick on another kid. The parents of these kids should be publicly flogged on the common, or better yet the knoll. Behavior would stop in a millisecond. Biggest issue in the Melrose Public School System is bad parenting. Not saying there aren\'t a bunch of other issues, just saying bad parenting is a primary cause of many behavioral and academic issues...from bullying to teenage drinking, to too many kids leaving for school unprepared and over tired. Bring back public flogging. I\'ll pay for the whipping post.
Public flogging? You're an idiot without a logical solution. Yes parents need to do their job but the school is just as responsible. MPS/MVMMS are irresponsible and negligent in their duty to provide a safe learning environment. Kids made a horribly bad decision, but they are kids with kid brains and reason. Adults in that school who should do the right thing turn a blind eye. You've been run down. You've been lied to.
The school is responding. How are they negligent? They are asking for parental help in monitoring of social media bullying. Sounds like a proper response to me.

Unless you can develop some pre-cognitive pre-crime division within the school that can root this out before it happens, I think you should cut people some slack. Best you can do it respond and adapt.

NEGLIGENT? Sometimes that's true. Sometimes there are no prewarning signs. But most of the time there are. There were plenty of signs here. Becoming that big a target doesn't just happen and escalate to this level overnight. That school knew. Not all, but fairly widespread. Kids know who the bullies are. They also know who the targets are and for some there is no choice but to pick a side. Kids don't always choose wisely. Apparently neither do the adults.

And we wonder why a third of Melrose parents send their kids outside the public schools? Or move to another city?

Insiders Club
This doesn't happen in Melrose.

Sincerely,
Real Estate Agents
I am so concerned now with what this administration is doing with our children. We pay high taxes for the schools and the city to be rated so poorly is beyond comprehensible...so I have no answer...clearly sources are not forth coming to the people.

"I feel strongly that as adults, we can and should 'be best' at educating our children about the importance of a healthy and balanced life." As a mother, it concerns me that in today's fast-paced and ever connected world, children can be less prepared to express or manage their emotions and often times turn to forms of destructive or addictive behavior such as bullying, drugs and more. We need to truly listen to what our kids have to say.

To the boobs that want to blame the schools...this incident happened on a Saturday at a park. If you blame the schools you are a bad parent. Publicly flog the parents!

Got the notice that LaGrasso is appointed new head of guidance.

The supt still hasn't disclosed what the old head did to get dismissed so quickly. If he possibly abused one student, how does the supt know he didn't abuse many more over the many years he was here?
Transparency means disclose it publicly so other children who possibly were abused by him will come forward and get help dealing with it. Isn't she required to report allegations of abuse to children to the police or DCF? If we learned nothing from #MeToo, she should tell everyone what happened. Then other kids can begin to recognize the harms they suffered, when they thought all along it was their own fault.

Hello.......

The supt still hasn't disclosed what the old head did to get dismissed so quickly. If he possibly abused one student, how does the supt know he didn't abuse many more over the many years he was here?
Transparency means disclose it publicly so other children who possibly were abused by him will come forward and get help dealing with it. Isn't she required to report allegations of abuse to children to the police or DCF? If we learned nothing from #MeToo, she should tell everyone what happened. Then other kids can begin to recognize the harms they suffered, when they thought all along it was their own fault.
LoGrasso has done plenty of grossly inappropriate and incompetent things herself and is a poor choice for head. She was also a close buddy of JB, who should have been fired for cause many years ago. Principal Burke got rid of him and then Casey brought the SOB back in. Parillo absolutely earned that job and should have gotten it. What a totally wretched administration!

mhs
Hello.......

The supt still hasn\'t disclosed what the old head did to get dismissed so quickly. If he possibly abused one student, how does the supt know he didn\'t abuse many more over the many years he was here?
Transparency means disclose it publicly so other children who possibly were abused by him will come forward and get help dealing with it. Isn\'t she required to report allegations of abuse to children to the police or DCF? If we learned nothing from #MeToo, she should tell everyone what happened. Then other kids can begin to recognize the harms they suffered, when they thought all along it was their own fault.
LoGrasso has done plenty of grossly inappropriate and incompetent things herself and is a poor choice for head. She was also a close buddy of JB, who should have been fired for cause many years ago. Principal Burke got rid of him and then Casey brought the SOB back in. Parillo absolutely earned that job and should have gotten it. What a totally wretched administration!
Perillo is excellent as is Bolduc.

Hello.......

Do you think Taymore gave a good recommendation to get a job somewhere else? If so, no better than the Catholic church.

Catholic Church
Hello.......

The supt still hasn\'t disclosed what the old head did to get dismissed so quickly. If he possibly abused one student, how does the supt know he didn\'t abuse many more over the many years he was here?
Transparency means disclose it publicly so other children who possibly were abused by him will come forward and get help dealing with it. Isn\'t she required to report allegations of abuse to children to the police or DCF? If we learned nothing from #MeToo, she should tell everyone what happened. Then other kids can begin to recognize the harms they suffered, when they thought all along it was their own fault.
Do you think Taymore gave a good recommendation to get a job somewhere else? If so, no better than the Catholic church.
Somethings are best left unsaid. JB is gone. Gone. Gone. Students need to move on. The JC HIRE, and I'm not speaking about our Lord God and Savior, of JB is out of the picture. Perhaps some students would prefer some things not be broadcast. They are kids'forchristsakes'.

On another note, ever notice the connection if you will with JCs ties to the 'alleged phedophile' at Stoneham while there, look up the article, and the Y?

If you believe our current administration or the head of the MSC aren't aware of whatever went DOWN you have your head up your @$$ or theirs.

The recent incident with the Middle School is definitely a bad parenting issue. However, the schools are partially to blame. These kids are bullies and rude at the elementary level. They do not listen to the teachers or any adults at the schools. Their behavior is not corrected. Now the kids get to Middle School. Are you expecting a miracle? No surprise to me.

Publicly accusing two professionals of misconduct without offering any evidence is dangerous and problematic. Why are you assuming he was dismissed? You say "possibly abused"... Do you know for sure or not that a child was harmed? Unless you have evidence, you have no right to speculate about anyone. And IF you do have evidence, have you brought it to the proper officials? If not, YOU are equally guilty. Did you ever think he was just sick and tired of dealing with people like you who invent malicious stories and post them online? And what "grossly inappropriate and incompetent things" has LoGrasso done?? Seems like you are bullies hiding behind computer screens and just like tearing people down...

Calling JB or FLG "professionals" is a real stretch. Both are incompetent, mean-spirited, law-breaking frauds who have caused a great deal of damage to many students. It figures that CT would appoint awful FLG instead of the two genuinely excellent counselors she has right in the department--Parillo and Bolduc. And then parents wonder why the district can't retain its best educators.... They are continuously mistreated while the awful ones are advanced.

I could give you a dozen names that are being advanced for many reasons. You can guess why the super does what she does but it will never make sense.

not so fast
Calling JB or FLG \\\"professionals\\\" is a real stretch. Both are incompetent, mean-spirited, law-breaking frauds who have caused a great deal of damage to many students. It figures that CT would appoint awful FLG instead of the two genuinely excellent counselors she has right in the department--Parillo and Bolduc. And then parents wonder why the district can\\\'t retain its best educators.... They are continuously mistreated while the awful ones are advanced.
This would of been a toss up because both are so good at what they do. Hard workers and a hard decision but I would of picked Parillo great person.

Correct
mhs
Hello.......

The supt still hasn\\\'t disclosed what the old head did to get dismissed so quickly. If he possibly abused one student, how does the supt know he didn\\\'t abuse many more over the many years he was here?
Transparency means disclose it publicly so other children who possibly were abused by him will come forward and get help dealing with it. Isn\\\'t she required to report allegations of abuse to children to the police or DCF? If we learned nothing from #MeToo, she should tell everyone what happened. Then other kids can begin to recognize the harms they suffered, when they thought all along it was their own fault.
Perillo is excellent as is Bolduc.
Why we will vote against every Override for the MPS

Swatstika found at MVMMS Metco Melrose.