Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
water and sewer rates increases

It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates.

Re: water and sewer rates increases

Show up at the meeting and speak your mind.
And maybe they listen this time .
Lynnfield residents succeeded by showing up!

5-1
Show up at the meeting and speak your mind.
And maybe they listen this time .
Lynnfield residents succeeded by showing up!
Didn’t the former Mayor Dolan get a job there ?

Yup Dolan has a job there.
And the residents shut down the water/sewer increase by going to the meeting and speaking their minds.

The 'timing' is fascinating (and strictly by chance, I understand that), but still it feels like "The override passed, and btw, here's your water/sewer bill".

They tried the same bull$hit there that they did here, including making the rate increase retroactive. The difference there was that over 100 people showed up and raised hell. They claimed they did it to "promote conservation". Sound familiar? A zebra doesn't change it's stripes when it moves to another town.

https://www.itemlive.com/2019/01/14/lynnfield-residents-demand-to-know-why-their-water-bills-have-skyrocketed/

https://www.itemlive.com/2019/01/30/lynnfield-center-water-district-rolls-back-its-water-rate-hike/

It can be done if residents are engaged and stand up for themselves.

The rate increase is coming.For water just think about because you all have the money for it with the taxes,It is what it is.Thanks to all you that vote for new taxes.

Discover Melrose's
The rate increase is coming.For water just think about because you all have the money for it with the taxes,It is what it is.Thanks to all you that vote for new taxes.
They're sitting on a huge pile of cash in water and sewer from so much overcharging of the ratepayers the last few years. And that money is left over even after charging water and sewer money illegally to pay city expenses.It's an election year. You can expect they will lower the rates. They never needed to be so high. They now want people to believe they're "For the People" so you won't vote against them in their runs for mayor and councilor.

BOA Rep for W+S, MB showed how bad she would be as a Mayor. She is as inarticulate as Illegitimate Gail. Reads everything. Cannot talk off the top of her head. Still doesn’t understand parliamentary procedures and language. In the pocket of Department Heads and City Administration. Who put her up to run for Mayor? Voted for her in 2017 because she was a woman and person of color. Mistake!

MB is a blithering shill. She's no credit to the board and that was obvious from the start. Then again she's surrounded by lowest-caliber representatives who are a poor indicator for the voting public here, as their actions collectively demonstrate.

She is totally clueless. It's a perfect example of what you get when you vote for someone because of what sex they are. That may sound crass, but in this case it's true.

Manisha for Mayor
Voted for her in 2017 because she was a woman and person of color. Mistake!

Why in the world would you do that? I vote for who I think will do the best job. Everything else is bull$hit.

I agree. What part of being a woman and a person of color qualifies her to be a City Councilor? I'm sorry, but that's one of the stupidest reasons to vote for someone I've ever heard. And then you wonder why we end up with a bunch of incompetent fools being elected. Do you not realize how precious every single vote is? You have abdicated your responsibility to cast an informed vote. Take a civics class - oh wait. They don't teach civics anymore.

And you have also essentially nullified the vote of someone who did take the time to become informed and cast a ballot for the right reasons.

The water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019.

This practice of repeating posts on different strings is VERY annoying. What exactly is the purpose, an inflated desire to see one's chosen nickname repeated?

Indeed
I agree. What part of being a woman and a person of color qualifies her to be a City Councilor? I'm sorry, but that's one of the stupidest reasons to vote for someone I've ever heard. And then you wonder why we end up with a bunch of incompetent fools being elected. Do you not realize how precious every single vote is? You have abdicated your responsibility to cast an informed vote. Take a civics class - oh wait. They don't teach civics anymore.
The previous poster did not say they thought she was a bad candidate but voted for her because she was a woman and person of color. They just said they were deciding factors as well. I'm sure if Manisha presented as incompetent as a candidate they wouldn't have voted for her.

Factoring in gender and race can be important if you value having a city council with a diverse background. Having a more diverse council can be very beneficial for approaching issues from a new perspective.

Manisha has a very good resume for a city councilor with her previous work in city planning. If they now don't like the job she has done, that is fine, but she was well qualified to be elected when she ran. If someone factored her gender or race as deciding factors that put her over the edge, that is acceptable as a reason.

The poster said he/she voted for her because she was a woman and a person of color. If you want to infer there were other reasons, feel free, but that's not what the poster said, and hHer performance thus far has shown her to be totally ineffective and perhaps way over her head.

Nope
The poster said he/she voted for her because she was a woman and a person of color. If you want to infer there were other reasons, feel free, but that's not what the poster said, and hHer performance thus far has shown her to be totally ineffective and perhaps way over her head.
I agree. Especially after the embarrassing showing at the meeting on Monday where she needed to have the votes explained to her in explicit detail (she didn't understand voting to put something on file for God's sake). It is sinfully arrogant that she thinks she could be mayor after not having even served a full term on the board or understanding basic votes.

That said, being a woman person of color was fully reasonable as deciding factors to vote for her the first time because she was a normal to good candidate in all other respects. It is absolutely fair to use those as your main reasons in voting for her the first time. Now that she has proven to be "not so great" as a councilor, they don't fly as deciding factors anymore.