Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melrose College Acceptances

Melrose College Acceptances
May 15, 2019 Mayor Infurna

Great news from Melrose High School! Once more, our graduating seniors have been accepted to a wide range of colleges and universities all over the country. Here’s a list of this year’s college acceptances. Congratulations to all our graduating seniors, and best wishes for the future, no matter what your plans may be!

Adelphi University
Alabama A&M University
The University of Alabama
American University
Anna Maria College
Arcadia University
The University of Arizona
Assumption College
Auburn University Montgomery
Bates College
Becker College
Bentley University
Berea College
Berklee College of Music
Boston College
Boston University
Brandeis University
University of Bridgeport
Bridgewater State University
Bryant University
Bunker Hill Community College
University of California, Santa Cruz
Campbell University
Carnegie Mellon University
Case Western Reserve University
The Catholic University of America
College of Charleston
Clark Atlanta University
Clark University
Clarkson University
Clemson University
Coastal Carolina University
Coker College
Colby College
Colby-Sawyer College
University of Colorado at Boulder
Colorado State University
Columbia College Chicago
Connecticut College
University of Connecticut
Cornell University
Curry College
Dean College
University of Delaware
University of Denver
DePaul University
Drew University
Drexel University
Duke Kunshan University
Eastern Nazarene College
Elizabeth Grady School Of Esthetics
Elms College
Emerson College
Emmanuel College
Emmanuel College
Endicott College
Fairfield University
Fisher College
Fitchburg State University
Florida International University
Florida Southern College
Florida State University
University of Florida
Fordham University
Framingham State University
Franklin Pierce University
Fullerton College
George Mason University
Georgia Southwestern State University
University of Georgia
University of Hartford
Hartwick College
High Point University
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Hofstra University
College of the Holy Cross
Husson University
Indiana University at Bloomington
Ithaca College
Jacksonville University
James Madison University
John Carroll University
Johnson & Wales University (North Miami)
Johnson & Wales University (Providence)
Keene State College
University of Kentucky
Lafayette College
Lasell College
Lehigh University
Lesley University
Long Island University, Brooklyn
Louisiana State University
Loyola Marymount University
Loyola University Maryland
University of Maine at Augusta
University of Maine
Manhattan College
Marian University
Marist College
University of Mary Washington
Maryland Institute College of Art
Marymount Manhattan College
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
MCPHS – Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Massachusetts, Boston
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
Massasoit Community College
Merrimack College
Methodist University
Miami University, Oxford
Michigan State University
Middlebury College
Montclair State University
Morgan State University
Mount Holyoke College
Muskingum University
Nazareth College
New England College
University of New England
University of New Hampshire at Durham
University of New Haven
New Jersey City University
New York University
Newbury College
Nichols College
North Carolina Central University
North Shore Community College
Northeastern University
University of Northern Colorado
Northern Vermont University-Johnson
Northern Vermont University-Lyndon
Norwich University
Old Dominion University
Pace University, New York City
Pennsylvania State University
University of Pittsburgh
Plymouth State University
Point Park University
Pratt Institute
Providence College
Purchase College, SUNY
Quinnipiac University
Regis College
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
University of Rhode Island
Rivier University
Roanoke College
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Rochester
Roger Williams University
Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Sacred Heart University
Saint Anselm College
Saint Joseph’s College-ME
Saint Leo University
Saint Michael’s College
Saint Peter’s University
Salem State University
Salve Regina University
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah State University
School of Visual Arts
Seton Hall University
Simmons University
Skidmore College
South Carolina State University
University of South Carolina
University of Southern Maine
Southern New Hampshire University
Springfield College
St. John’s University
St. Thomas University
State University of New York at New Paltz
Stonehill College
Suffolk University
SUNY Albany
Syracuse University
The University of Tampa
Temple University
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy
The Ohio State University
Trinity College
Tufts University
Tuskegee University
The University of the Arts
Utah State University
Vassar College
University of Vermont
Virginia State University
Wentworth Institute of Technology
West Virginia State University
Western New England University
Westfield State University
Wheaton College MA
William Peace University
Winthrop University
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester State University
Xavier University

Re: Melrose College Acceptances

We go through this same nonsense every year, and as much as I hate to do it, because there will always be some nitwit who says I'm dissing the kids in some way - which I'm not - this so-called list doesn't impress me at all. Congratulations to the kids who somehow managed to succeed in spite of having to deal with the disfunction that is MHS. Our kids are as smart as any kids anywhere. Imagine what they could accomplish if they didn't have to endure that.

Meaning no disrespect to all those students who managed to succeed despite the abysmal learning environment now in the Melrose Public Schools, this is just not an impressive list at all. It is not competitive and should be scrutinized for what is missing. This list reflects not only sub-par academic performance, but also pathetic guidance counseling.

agree with both of previous posters

One of the many idiotic MCG Facebook parents wrote extolling the virtues of getting into Colby as "harder to get into than Harvard," which is laughable and pathetic.

What this list fails to say is how many applied and were rejected to various colleges (and how many of the acceptances were for a singular student), a list that used to be provided to all when CKK was there insisting on transparency so that real improvement could take place (and understanding of the weaknesses in the system could help make that possible). Now there is zero transparency. Watch the spin of this list as the greatest list ever, just like Trump would do. That helps no one!

This list reveals quite notable deficiencies, which can be deduced from looking at the clusters of the kinds and location of schools. As usual (MHS has had a very poor guidance department for a number of years now) most are based close by, which isn't a negative in and of itself, but the paucity of schools farther afield is certainly an indicator of lousy guidance, for starters.

Those rabid OneM parents are too limited to grasp the significance of such a list--in experience, since most are parents of young children; and in attitude, since most seem to have a desperate need to prove, whether real or not, that MPS is in every way "Be Best," and unwilling to accept anything other than the most glowing characterization of the district.

Right about now we can expect Vuvu/ClownPatrol and the other idiots to jump in with their disgusting, lame rants. It just doesn't occur to these types that real concern for Melrose students requires a willingness to see the unvarnished truth, not the fake and damaging BS that Melrose hires Guilfoil to spin for it.

Well, gee, reassuring to see Bunker Hill listed. However, a similar list in a recent year listed how many didn't get into even BH or the state colleges. From looking at this list, it would appear that there was likely an enormous number of rejections, hence so many of the d-list schools.

MHS parent
One of the many idiotic MCG Facebook parents wrote extolling the virtues of getting into Colby as "harder to get into than Harvard," which is laughable and pathetic.

There must have been some "undesirable" comments about this stupid list on MCG, because the post you reference appears to have "disappeared". Ah, yes - openness and transparency.

I wonder when we will finally reach a point where we stop thinking that Harvard and Yale are the ultimate measurement of academic success, and anything less is a failure.

I would have thought that the recent college admissions scandal, accompanied by the very existence of legacy admissions, would have eliminated that ridiculous mindset. Education is about what you learn, not the name on the diploma.

Almost everything you said is completely accurate.

Having said that, that's not the point of this list. This list has one purpose - to make it look like MHS kids are receiving a better education than they are. It's incomplete and misleading. For example, one of my kids a few years ago was accepted to six different schools. Her argument for that was she needed "fallback" positions in case she didn't get her first choice.

As constructed, this "list" is completely useless in determining the relative success of MHS students. I'd much rather see a list of actual enrollment, and then a follow up list after four or five years detailing actual graduation.

While you're correct that too much emphasis is placed on the name of the school on the diploma, it is a fact that a Harvard Law degree is more valuable than a Mass School of Law degree, especially in the initial job search.

In every other year, people were quick to sing the praises of those who were admitted to Ivy schools. Now that there don't appear to be any of those admissions, they are strangely silent.

Year after year the MHS bashers love to start this string. Unfortunately they don't have the depth or understanding of the college admission process to understand what is happening at all schools across the country. The bottom line is the top 10 students in Melrose have the ability to go to NESCAC schools, occasionally an IVY or other highly difficult school to get into. The Ivies admit 5% all applicants and NESCAC less than 10%...and every kid in every school that is in the top 10 applies to the same 20 schools. Over the past 5 years the top 10 Melrose kids have consistently done well, along with a few athletes. The top 5% to 10% of the class also have the ability to go to a really competitive school...and they do. In Melrose that's 30 kids. It's State schools, or the equivalent for the rest. If a kid wants it, and the parents get it, the sky's the limit in Melrose. Unfortunately, most don't. The Bashers should go look in the mirror and then at their own diploma, their tax return, and their kids report cards and SAT Scores. The answer lies right there in those documents. I'm guessing these folks don't make much money, personally went to a middle of the road college or worse, and their kids didn't take AP classes or score well on the SAT's. Income and the parents education is the primary driver of what college the kids go to. Period. If you are unhappy with the kids college options its your fault. See you next year.

Sure, Ivies don't guarantee that the student was worthy, appropriate for the school, or capable of succeeding in such a high-pressure environment. One recent MHS-Ivy grad (multiple legacy) was almost kicked out (more than once) and even matriculated elsewhere (parents bought her way back in). Poor thing should never have been hyped to go this route in the first place, probably.

However, the lack of more Ivy-caliber schools in the accepted students list indicates continuation of the serious problems that are well known (though not acknowledged by the chronic sycophants). Historically (prior to Casey and Taymore) Melrose had always sent a batch each year (not just the isolated student or two), and acceptances to these most selective schools was consistent year-after-year, as it still is the case in the quality school systems, which Melrose is definitely not.

None of this is to denigrate the accomplishments of current students. The indictment is of the school administration and all those frothing-at-the-mouth defenders who would rather defend the indefensible at the students' expense than honestly address problems that could have been corrected years ago. It's so pointless and stupid that these parent and community apologists choose, actively and aggressively, to look the other way rather than take a more mature look that would benefit all, starting with their own children. But that is in fact what OneMelrose is all about now. And it carries over pervasively with this immature and unwise attitude into all areas of city governance and civic engagement these days, if you can call such a small-minded, parochial, defensive attitude engagement.

Yup, totally agree with WhataJackass. Further, it was the a$$hat of a mayor that posted this in the first place, and it fully deserves to be ripped for the gross piece of propaganda that does not help the kids one bit. All over this city the past couple of months there are households where there is a college senior devastated by the pile of rejections and the poor choices remaining for way too many of those who got acceptances only to their bottom-rung choices, most with little to no scholarship. You can be sure the incompetent guidance staff encouraged many students to apply to top-rung schools and did not warn about the low to nonexistent possibility of acceptance, and parents eagerly paid the application fees choosing to ignore once again the many warning signs they had ignored for the previous 12 years of their childrens' MPS education. Instead of stepping up and fighting for their kids' academic futures back when there was a chance of making positive change when it would make a difference for their children, they tussled over who would be room mommy, and later spent huge effort on the pasta parties and prom gowns, making sure the overpriced salon treatments cast their children in the best light for their drunken (but ever so picturesque) debauch, while the h.s. transcripts deteriorated more and more each year, along with the kids' futures getting dimmer and dimmer. Instead of going to school committee meetings and demanding that problems be addressed full-on, too many parents fussed over the Trivia Bee or football games or Ecamp (you should see the ridiculous hand-wringing over that on the MCG right now!), or even more ridiculously, kindergarten placement.

With such an obviously poor list of college acceptances, there should be a public demand for a full address of this at a school committee meeting, with all the facts laid out. But this is Melrose, after all. If Gerry doesn't once again address what only a handful of others even care about let alone have educated themselves about, it's a guarantee that it won't happen. The shrieks of hysterical outrage will be about stupid things like ECamp (and yes, of course Taymore is a disgrace at communicating appropriately and no doubt botched the ECamp issue like all the other important issues she also botches routinely, and of course the SC will continue to gush about her instead of hold her accountable, and of course the MEF and OneM parents will adamantly refuse to acknowledge the real issues). It's OneMelrose, all right, all wrapped up with a big bow covering a cesspool of vaping dysfunction and future misery. Pay attention to the families whose MHS grads of the last few years have long since dropped out of college, are living in their parents' basements working in minimum-wage jobs, if they're working at all instead of finishing out their latest stint of rehab or taking their anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. There are way more of these lost souls lurking in quaint little Melrose than those gross OneM parents would imagine possible (or that the Guilfoil PR firm would dare allow us to know). A previous poster nailed it describing the immaturity of too many here. They truly seem stuck in a time warp in a world that is so, so small.

I can only imagine the heartbreak. Fortunately for me, both of my girls were very good soccer players, so they were recruited and got their first choice. Their grades were also excellent, but even as good as their grades were I'm pretty sure they would not have gotten their first choice based on grades alone. In their cases, they had more to offer than just grades - athletes, student government, lots of community service involvement, etc. They had the whole package, which in the end made all the difference.

What a shame. I feel so bad for them.

In "The Land of Oz", everyone gets something and goes away happy.

Sympathetic
I can only imagine the heartbreak. Fortunately for me, both of my girls were very good soccer players, so they were recruited and got their first choice. Their grades were also excellent, but even as good as their grades were I'm pretty sure they would not have gotten their first choice based on grades alone. In their cases, they had more to offer than just grades - athletes, student government, lots of community service involvement, etc. They had the whole package, which in the end made all the difference.

What a shame. I feel so bad for them.
Yep. Bu. Bc. Cornell. James Madison. Rutgers. Wpi. Rochester. They must be absolutely devastated.

There are amazing schools on this list. Let's all settle down.

And where did you come up with that brilliant conclusion? Neither one of mine went to an Ivy and we couldn't have been happier with their choices, Amherst and Tufts. Why is it so bad to feel sorry for all those kids who didn't get BU, BC, Cornell, Rutgers or any other good school after being led to believe by MHS' useless guidance department that they had an actual shot at it, and wound up at UMass Dartmouth, MCLA, or worse? If you can't sympathize with their disappointment, you have no heart.

Sympathetic
And where did you come up with that brilliant conclusion? Neither one of mine went to an Ivy and we couldn't have been happier with their choices, Amherst and Tufts. Why is it so bad to feel sorry for all those kids who didn't get BU, BC, Cornell, Rutgers or any other good school after being led to believe by MHS' useless guidance department that they had an actual shot at it, and wound up at UMass Dartmouth, MCLA, or worse? If you can't sympathize with their disappointment, you have no heart.
I'm hardly saying that any kid who didn't get into the school they wanted shouldn't be disappointed. I didn't get into either of my top two schools either. That's life. Lots of kids going through it, and I equally feel bad for their disappointment and recognize what they can't see through their disappointment yet, which is that they will still get an excellent education at any UMass if they want it.

I'm saying that we as a community shouldn't despair because this list of colleges is somehow inadequate because Harvard and Yale aren't in it. There are amazing schools in this list, and those schools speak highly of our graduating seniors.

James Madison University? (Chuckle)

More Armchair College Experts

According to US News and World Report Rankings, there are at least 10 schools on the MHS list that are ranked in the Top 50 in the Nation as far as National Universities. In other words they compete for student across the nation and not regionally, generally award advanced degrees in addition to wide variety of undergraduate degrees and generally have large research budgets. Regional Universities are generally more A and S degrees, smaller student population, and less or no advanced degrees. They are not “bad” schools, just focus on the undergraduate education.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Here are some of the Top 50 on the MHS list in no particular order. Tufts, BC, BU, Northeastern, Carnegie Mellon, U of Rochester, UW Madison, NYU, Cornell, Brandeis, Case Western, U of Florida, Rensselaer, Duke, and U of Georgia.

Penn State, Lehigh, Syracuse, and RIT are just out of the Top 50.

All of these schools are very competitive to get in.

Sounds like many of they Melrose students are getting into high caliber Universities. Ivys aren’t the be all end all. You can still do well in life without an “Ivy League” Eduction. They barely make the top 10 in Engineering schools. #9 is Cornell, Princeton is #12.

Re: More Armchair College Experts

The college list is fine. There are still problems at MHS.

It’s melrose.. they want to be Lexington so it will never change.. it’s override people now realizing we wasted money and kids are going to college but because it’s now “Harvard” it’s the poor state of the school? Same speech every year from the fiscally irresponsible. Do you go to community college and say transfer to a state school. Get a job you love and have. Little to no debt? Debt in melrose is something people have pride about.. pathetic. If a kid is going to bunker hill do what? They could pick worse things..OneMelrose Hahahaha judgement morons with zero clue

"Here are some of the Top 50 on the MHS list in no particular order. Tufts, BC, BU, Northeastern, Carnegie Mellon, U of Rochester, UW Madison, NYU, Cornell, Brandeis, Case Western, U of Florida, Rensselaer, Duke, and U of Georgia. Penn State, Lehigh, Syracuse, and RIT are just out of the Top 50. "

The problem with the list isn't that these are bad schools. It's that we don't know if the reason that BC, BU, CMU, UWM, NYU are on the list is because many students were accepted to each school, or if one kid at Melrose High was admitted to those schools and no other kid in the school was accepted to any of those places.

Melrose does not demand or even respect transparency.

CKK demanded it. Gerry Mroz demands it. Monica demands it.
Look at how Melrose treats all three of these dedicated individuals of integrity. Melrose prefers its fairy tales to the truth. It prefers a$$hats as its elected officials, as nearly all of them are now currently and from the looks of it, same with most running for office yet again.

In the past CKK forced the now removed head of guidance (yes, for cause, though not on record as such so as to avoid litigation) to show a complete list of acceptances, rejections by the numbers (not names), and it was then easily apparent when the administration would try to jack up the pretty picture versus telling the unvarnished truth so as to be able to force accountability and make things better. All it takes is an individual asking for a public records request, and this could happen again. All it requires is actually caring to make things better for students instead of whitewashing for the NotOne a$$hats. Melrose prefers to keep its head in the sand (the polite version).

File a simple public records request and you'll have your answers.

It is what it is .

File a simple public records request and you'll have your answers.No way you will have your answers.

'TaxLevyIncrease', are people starting to turn and walk away from you as you continue to use that ridiculous meaningless phrase?

Willie, they are starting to move away!!!

It is what it is . Respect transparency.

Train no answers.Melrose prefers its fairy tales to the truth. Melrose prefers to keep its head in the sand .

Stupid is stupid! Nah, that’s as bad as the other one.

Freedom of speech you all need to grow up if you can?

No one is attempting to deny freedom of speech, but simply pointing out that when the continuing response to ANY situation is the same inane blather with as much meaning as "purple is purple", maybe it's time to comment on something with a bit more insight!

Come On, Man
Most people shouting "freedom of speech" seem to have a pretty flawed understanding of what that actually means. It does not mean freedom from criticism.

It most certainly does not. But in Melrose the IQ bar is set pretty low. This isn't Cambridge, after all. Oh, wait......

It isn’t even Wakefield any more (but shhhhh, don’t tell them).

You know who you are that caused Melrose Cares to change the post with all your looooooooooooonnnnnnggggg
messages and so many quotes. You need to grow up.

They are okay schools. If Melrose wants to maintain its lucrative real estate market, then it needs to improve its schools. Wealthy & high educated professional parents (unfortunately or fortunately this is the future) choose school districts, not well-mowed lawns or well-maintained homes.
I know I sound harsh, but I want to ensure the Melrose real estate market remains hot & trendy.