Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revolving Principal Door

Word on the street is that CT has sent the MVMMS principal packing. That makes how many new principals for this coming year? Add that to how many teachers? And Mr. Richards from METCO, whose position was "eliminated" (only for another one to be opened).

And wasn't this override supposed to correct things like Melrose's atrocious retention of educators?

CT is still a horrible superintendent, the School Committee is still venal and incompetent, so all of this is to be expected by those still capable of reasoning (as opposed to those One Melrose fanatics, who seemed to think that a large infusion of cash would Make Melrose Great Again).

Re: Revolving Principal Door

Packing back up to continuing being vice principal again. SC should of never allowed Tommy Brow to retire. Conway cost the school and city a huge part of the override. Get the FACTS!

Melrose Cares Signs: I just want to make money off this city with no yards and no place to park my third car. The schools will never change they stay the same.

What's the over/under on how many years the new MVMMS principal lasts before skipping town? 2 years? 3 years?

"What's the over/under on how many years the new MVMMS principal lasts before skipping town? 2 years? 3 years?"

Easy. Melrose Public Schools under Paymore and this horrible school committee will never be able to retrieve its former decent reputation. The only administrators who stay are the ones who've screwed up so badly and publicly that they can't get another job, or they can only hope to move horizontally to less advantageous positions. Here the bad ones can stay with impunity and consistent pay/benefits rewards.

This school administration treated Tom Brow like dirt, despite 37 years of dedicated and proven service. He certainly had his areas of weakness, but he had a unified staff that was devoted to the students for the most part (he tried to get rid of the bad apples like Ted M but was prevented by the Casey and CT, and yet he gets the bad rap for those despite the facts). People like Margaret Driscoll and her know-it-all (but supremely ignorant) cabal made sure to drive away Brow and a number of the other most dedicated and proven educators in favor of the revolving door of self-serving idiots.

It's an easy guess that anyone decent that CT hires for any position will not stay. Look around and see who has stayed (PW-L, MA, MBM, for the most obvious examples), and it all explains itself.

How long does a big city superintendent last?Longer than you might think.Their tenures may last much longer. That Merlose.How long does a superintendent serve?

The bigger question becomes.Why did they renew her contrac executive session.The citizens do not count.Ithink they ware afaid what happy with JOE Case A former superintendent.

The good news is her contract is up the end of the next school year. July 2020 she is to be leaving unless a deal is made for her to exit sooner. Bad news the damage has already been done with her revolving vile hires.

I read that the new principal only has experience working in Knoxville, Tennessee and Lowell, MA.... Two school districts that couldn’t be anymore opposite than Melrose, MA. Please tell me this is a joke. Can someone please confirm this or correct me. If this is true, what is CT thinking?!!!!!

This is very true and you get what you pay for in Melrose. How to wreck a city with the hiring of Cyndy S. Taymore.

The post (schools) MBM is the Roosevelt principal who could not handle the pressure. CT officially put a vice principal to help with the pressure. Teachers say she is so-so more $$$ for the system because of the mistakes.

Who hired this person?
I read that the new principal only has experience working in Knoxville, Tennessee and Lowell, MA.... Two school districts that couldn’t be anymore opposite than Melrose, MA. Please tell me this is a joke. Can someone please confirm this or correct me. If this is true, what is CT thinking?!!!!!
Why the VP did not get the job at MVMMS? The school and administration loved him and his wife is PWL secretary.

MVMMS was a train wreck last year under Parsons. Teachers didn't do any work, failed to correct papers & input grades and a tremendous amount of them punched in sick regularly the last 6 weeks of the school year. Under Tom Brow, with an incredible assistant principal in Marty Stanton, MVMMS was a great experience. It started slipping under Brent Conway. He hid in his office to avoid any direct eye contact with students and teachers. Parsons was a complete joke. Place is at rock bottom with a crew of entitled and arrogant teachers who have been allowed to run wild for the last 16 months

Latest in the News
MVMMS was a train wreck last year under Parsons. Teachers didn't do any work, failed to correct papers & input grades and a tremendous amount of them punched in sick regularly the last 6 weeks of the school year. Under Tom Brow, with an incredible assistant principal in Marty Stanton, MVMMS was a great experience. It started slipping under Brent Conway. He hid in his office to avoid any direct eye contact with students and teachers. Parsons was a complete joke. Place is at rock bottom with a crew of entitled and arrogant teachers who have been allowed to run wild for the last 16 months
So they go ahead and hire someone from Tennessee, who has never worked in a suburban school district in his entire life? 🤔🤔🤔

Sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Latest in the News
MVMMS was a train wreck last year under Parsons. Teachers didn\'t do any work, failed to correct papers & input grades and a tremendous amount of them punched in sick regularly the last 6 weeks of the school year. Under Tom Brow, with an incredible assistant principal in Marty Stanton, MVMMS was a great experience. It started slipping under Brent Conway. He hid in his office to avoid any direct eye contact with students and teachers. Parsons was a complete joke. Place is at rock bottom with a crew of entitled and arrogant teachers who have been allowed to run wild for the last 16 months
I’m not sure I’d say the teachers were running wild or the place was a joke BUT it is true that Parsons only had the position as an interim for the past year and did not get the recommendation from the search committee to become the new principal. It is also true that Taymore does not have to act on their recommendation so she could have offered him the job if she had wanted despite them putting another candidate forward as their recommendation. She must have agreed with their determination that he wasn’t the best candidate and also agreed the one they chose was.

On another note, no one, not Taymore or the SC, can stop someone from retiring. I’m not sure how they’d be expected to “not allow” someone to retire. That’s absurd to even suggest, frankly. They could ask them not to, I suppose, but how they are supposed to force someone to stay in a job when they chose to leave is beyond me.

Nonsense
On another note, no one, not Taymore or the SC, can stop someone from retiring. I’m not sure how they’d be expected to “not allow” someone to retire. That’s absurd to even suggest, frankly. They could ask them not to, I suppose, but how they are supposed to force someone to stay in a job when they chose to leave is beyond me.

That, of course, is completely true. However, you have to ask - would he have retired if he hadn't been dealing with the Taymore administration? Only he knows the answer to that, but I suspect it was a major factor in his decision. I retired early also, and money wasn't the deciding factor. I had reached maximum pension. I just hated working for the crop of idiots that controlled my agency at that time. Why would you continue to work a job where you're miserable if you can afford not to? If I hadn't hated what I was forced to deal with I probably would have stayed.

Who were the other candidates for MVMMS principal?

Tom B did not choose to retire, he was forced out by the Melrose Cabal, with Driscoll leading the charge and dictating to CT (yes, it did actually work that way, and still does, now with its new crop of wrong-headed, know-it-all sycophants and even a bonafide convicted felon/thief on the SC). TB is still working and has been continuously in Belmont ever since, where he is respected and effective. For whatever his shortcomings were he has always been a dedicated educator who cares about students and his faculty. He did not deserve to be treated so shabbily as he was by the thuggery that is the Melrose SC and administration.

There is a large contingent of Melrose's best and most devoted educators who either retired early or left for other districts because they could not abide the treatment they received under this grossly incompetent and malicious administration. In nearly all cases they were the long-serving distinguished stars of the teaching staff, from MHS down through each of the elementary schools. (Out in the public now, not a one of them has anything good to say about this administration and most are still very concerned about the students and how their education is actively being damaged by this district.) Some were forced out because they had dared to care about the well-being of the students and stood up to the asinine orders of CT, MA, PW-L, BC, MF, and virtually all of the elem principals, a cast of administrators bad actors none of whom should ever have been hired because of their incompetence, their willingness to sacrifice the well-being of students, their venal idiocy, their proven track record of poor performance and bad decisions. It's actually laughable that this override would somehow improve "teacher retention." Watch the revolving door accelerate (more and more is being hidden, but there is still plenty that can be gleaned), and then tell yourself that retention is improved. Each sub-par new hire will stick around to get their beefed-up compensation package, including their master's degree or pretend doctorate (on the taxpayer's back) and then ditch, because only those who are stuck in the seniority trap of the city retirement system (they are not allowed to accrue SS and their pension plan doesn't necessarily transfer elsewhere) or those who have too public a track record of their failings stay because they literally cannot get another comparable salary anyplace decent (PW-L and MF are the sterling examples of the worst of the Melrose Peter Principle, having miserable records of outrageous failings and yet still employed at high salaries--MF earns $135,000!).

The arrogant and often interfering parents of One Melrose are so incredibly foolish and wrong to have continued to empower this administration, now with a large infusion of perennial cash that is only going to allow more latitude for more poor non-leadership. Now it isn't just the children and staff who will suffer, but also the most vulnerable of Melrose tax payers. Shame on Melrose, over and over again.

Until there are intelligent voices with integrity, and enough of them to have clout, back on the school committee and BOA, there really is no hope for a better Melrose. This won't happen until the crazed mob of seriously misled parents is shut down and a wiser, open-minded voice of concerned community members and parents emerges. The simpering club of elected representatives now play-acting with our tax dollars and authority have made a comprehensive mess, most poignantly articulated in the OCR Findings and the Poop Tornado, both pointed illustrations of the real state of affairs here. Sadly it looks like too many in Melrose don't care enough to step up and stand up to the hysterical ignorance of those who can't/won't see what should be so obvious because being accepted and even ring-leaders in The Club (cabal) with their bumper stickers and slogans matters more.

Other than Parsons, who were the other candidates? There is no way that Tennessee boy stays longer than two years. I find it hard to believe that there were not any better candidates than someone with no experience working with suburban students. If they want people to stay for an extended period of time, they need to hire people that actually care about the school (ie Tom Brow, Jason Merrill). Otherwise, it’s going to be a rotating door every 2-3 years.

What would make anyone think that CT cares about hiring administrators who have actual qualifications and would be a decent fit? She took what she could get from the bottom scrapings who would consider working in Melrose.

What better commentary on the result of the ongoing decay of our school system then trying to determine in what language some of the posts are written?

Why don't you just stop judging.

Are it bother you that somes times eye trie two right gud?

MPS
Nothing you can do its a merry-go-round in the city of Melrose. I would of thought the override would of helped Melrose. It is bring more garbage to the city.
You realize that the day of the vote is not when the money arrived in the town coffers, right? It literally can't have helped anything yet.

Shocking how many people don't understand how any part of this works.

It doesn't seem it should shock you about that particular person!

We the parents would like to wish a long healthy, happy retirement to Joanne Kimball Sherman who was an outstanding 1st grade teacher at the Roosevelt. Thank you so much.

Come On, Man
MPS
Nothing you can do its a merry-go-round in the city of Melrose. I would of thought the override would of helped Melrose. It is bring more garbage to the city.
You realize that the day of the vote is not when the money arrived in the town coffers, right? It literally can't have helped anything yet.

Shocking how many people don't understand how any part of this works.
No, money isn't in the tank, but the ability to hire and fire at will is now secure knowing that the funds will be there in the next budget cycle. Lots of moving pieces now because CT and GI know they can act with even further impunity to suit their ignorant and imperious wishes.

history repeating itself
Come On, Man
MPS
You realize that the day of the vote is not when the money arrived in the town coffers, right? It literally can\\\\\\\'t have helped anything yet.

Shocking how many people don\\\\\\\'t understand how any part of this works.
No, money isn\\\'t in the tank, but the ability to hire and fire at will is now secure knowing that the funds will be there in the next budget cycle. Lots of moving pieces now because CT and GI know they can act with even further impunity to suit their ignorant and imperious wishes.
Why it Matters and What We Can Do About It: Although some teacher turnover is expected and can be beneficial, high turnover rates reduce achievement for students whose classrooms are directly affected and for other students in the in the school.
High turnover rates can intensify shortages of qualified teachers in mathematics, science, special education, and English language development, especially in hard-to-staff schools with limited resources.
With almost one in five teachers who leave the professional citing financial reasons, policymakers should provide compensation packages that are equitable across districts and competitive with those of other occupations requiring similar levels of education.

wish
We the parents would like to wish a long healthy, happy retirement to Joanne Kimball Sherman who was an outstanding 1st grade teacher at the Roosevelt. Thank you so much.
CT hires of unqualified principals passed and present make it a Revolving Door. JKS fought hard to finish her last three years at the Roosevelt. Politics before the People.

Summary of the Conflict of Interest Law for Municipal Employees

The conflict of interest law seeks to prevent conflicts between private interests and public duties, foster integrity in public service, and promote the public's trust and confidence in that service by placing restrictions on what municipal employees may do on the job, after hours, and after leaving public service, as described below. The sections referenced below are sections of G.L.c.268A.

When the Commission determines that the conflict of interest law has been violated, it can impose a civil penalty of up to $10,000 ($25.000 for bribery cases) for each violation. In addition, the Commission can order the violator to repay any economic advantage he gained by the violation, and to make restitution to injured third parties. Violations of the conflict of interest law can also be prosecuted criminally.

Apropos of what, specifically?

After you leave municipal employment.

(a) Forever ban. After you leave your municipal job, you may never work for anyone other than the municipality on a matter that you worked on as a municipal employee.

Question
Who were the other candidates for MVMMS principal?
I believe one candidate had a doctrine and CT would not accept someone with more education than her. Just say in.

Doctrine? Are you trying to say Doctorate but just can't manage it? Unbelievable.

Scary, isn’t it?

I know all you group of troll haters. Melrose Cares is having some difficulties with some comments on the sites. We find trolls cursing, name-calling and just causing trouble for the heck of it. This is particularly true for Melrose Cares controversial topics or for the ones that trend to rack up a lot of comments from people who want to share their opinions with the site. This site is not here to criticize not one post.

Melrose Cares has 3 specific difficuties:

1. People who insist on hijacking every post with comments about Trump,

2. People who can't compose an even moderately coherent sentence, and

3. People who don't know the difference between a doctrine and a doctorate.

IV.
After you leave municipal employment.

(a) Forever ban. After you leave your municipal job, you may never work for anyone other than the municipality on a matter that you worked on as a municipal employee.
That's generally true, with some exceptions, but that's wasn't my question. I wanted to the know the specific circumstance you were referring to. Who, what, where, when?

What?

2. People who can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t compose an even moderately coherent sentence, and

3. People who don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t know the difference between a doctrine and a doctorate.
What and Huh you are trolling this site and watching Come on man too.

1. Untrue/Trump/My first vote will be for him.

2. Untrue/you had every post taken away.

3. Untrue/how to fix autocorrect.

4. "I do not appreciate your input on this matter but I'm going to consider other options."

Melrose Cares
What?

2. People who can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t compose an even moderately coherent sentence, and

3. People who don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t know the difference between a doctrine and a doctorate.
What and Huh you are trolling this site and watching Come on man too.

1. Untrue/Trump/My first vote will be for him.

2. Untrue/you had every post taken away.

3. Untrue/how to fix autocorrect.

4. "I do not appreciate your input on this matter but I'm going to consider other options."
I'm not trolling anything. I'm just disagreeing with the people who say stupid things, and calling those things stupid.

Who's the troll?

Lesson to be learned: Change the school superintendent . short of this nothing changes.

How about a very public parent petition, which we know will make CT crazy and bring out her fangs, but so what? Why not, if it exposes the problem and gets the public to understand just how corrupt the whole "chain of command" actually is? Why not here?

It's about being accountable..What has to happen for someone to read into this major problem in Melrose.