Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????

Agree!
Heartbreaking
The best
Taxpayers
VOTE NO
Using scare tactics is a typical MO in this town. Similar ones were used in the last override attempt. (funny that the town survived even though the override failed) Now the local press is actively recruiting teachers to back this override, asking them to write stories in local media including newspaper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and Patch. Usually would not be a problem voicing an individual opinion, but then again who would not want a raise? Trying to maintain quality teachers is a fools errand. The really good ones will seek out towns and cities for a better salary or quality of life regardless. Simple fact of being an employee. A quality is not guaranteed by the salary of a teacher. But, this is only one part of this money grab by an administration who thinks they can solve all problems by throwing more money at the problem.
Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view

from the M Free Press:

Opinion: Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view
Posted at 12:40 PM Updated at 12:41 PM

Submitted by Alderman Monica Medeiros.

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed \\$5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

In preparing for this vote, I learned that our city had much bigger problems than I had suspected. Namely that the executives in our city government have failed to do any long term evaluation of our financial outlook.

I felt it critical to have a full understanding of the financial assumptions the city was making before I could vote to pass such a hefty burden on to seniors and families.

After asking Mayor Infurna for copies of any long range budget forecasts that had been prepared and used by the City of Melrose over the last five years, I was forced to appeal to the Secretary of State’s office for this information only to learn that no such documents exist.

The Mayor’s office directed me to a tool on our city website, “Visual Budget.” In the Aldermen meeting, I asked our CFO & Auditor Patrick Dello Russo if this was the tool he was using to make our predictions in terms of revenues and expenditures. His reply? “We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.”

Try as I might, I could not seem to match the “Visual Budget” figures to the actual budgets I had voted on. Days later, Kerriann Golden, our Assistant Auditor confirmed, “The last actual figures reflected are Fiscal 2016,” -- two full fiscal years behind.

The outdated “Visual Budget” data was not only a waste of thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on this service, but also so inaccurate that it was actually misleading to the public. Most importantly, it could not have been being used as an accurate tool for evaluating our city’s financial outlook by anyone including our city executives.

Melrose is at a crossroads. Real estate prices have skyrocketed to an all-time high. Many new families have chosen Melrose for its great schools, beautiful downtown and its relative affordability.

Conversely, many of our families, seniors and one-income households are struggling. Recently, a Melrose Housing Authority Commissioner testified at our meeting that the waitlist for housing of Melrose families, seniors, Veterans and the handicap is in the thousands.

Sadly, I hear from residents who are told if they can’t afford this increase, they should move along. But where will they go? After paying their taxes for years, volunteering in our community, donating to all kinds of causes, including our schools, they are told they haven’t paid their “fair share” and should move along. I can think of little that is so cruel.

Even for those of us who are working, many of us are only one lockout or government shutdown away from being in financial peril.

But regardless of income, every taxpayer deserves good fiscal management.

As an Alderman-at-Large, my job is to consider the big picture ramifications of our decisions, especially when it comes to spending and taxation. When it comes to the big picture, the taxpayers deserve an unobstructed view.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly \\$2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

Before final decisions are made, the voters also need to know that large expenditures are waiting in the wings. What’s not included in this override, may be most significant.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although \\$250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Plans are in the works for the rebuilding or repair of the police and fire stations, and renovations of the library. Whether or not this question passes, each of these is expected to be presented to the voters in the form of an increase above the Prop 2 ½ limit.

Like our taxpayers, our leaders need a panoramic view before they make decisions that affect individuals so significantly. Financial forecasting in budgeting has been considered a best practice for more than a decade. Melrose can do better. Before any tax increase is considered, our taxpayers deserve an objective analysis of our financial picture and an independent audit of our books.

Demand accountability. Vote NO.
This is such a great post. Read it in its entirety and change your life!
Thinking before you speak or do something. It\'s about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It\'s about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore?
Yup, I agree!
I think this City is great!

The PR Machine is still managing to keep hold of these well-meaning but naive parents, feeding them just enough to let them think they are having an effect and that they can feel proud being part of a "positive" process. They don't realize how they have been co-opted and are being used. They don't realize that they are only being given just enough information to make them Believe.

Thankful
Agree!
Heartbreaking
The best
Taxpayers
VOTE NO
Using scare tactics is a typical MO in this town. Similar ones were used in the last override attempt. (funny that the town survived even though the override failed) Now the local press is actively recruiting teachers to back this override, asking them to write stories in local media including newspaper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and Patch. Usually would not be a problem voicing an individual opinion, but then again who would not want a raise? Trying to maintain quality teachers is a fools errand. The really good ones will seek out towns and cities for a better salary or quality of life regardless. Simple fact of being an employee. A quality is not guaranteed by the salary of a teacher. But, this is only one part of this money grab by an administration who thinks they can solve all problems by throwing more money at the problem.

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed \\\\$5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

In preparing for this vote, I learned that our city had much bigger problems than I had suspected. Namely that the executives in our city government have failed to do any long term evaluation of our financial outlook.

I felt it critical to have a full understanding of the financial assumptions the city was making before I could vote to pass such a hefty burden on to seniors and families.

After asking Mayor Infurna for copies of any long range budget forecasts that had been prepared and used by the City of Melrose over the last five years, I was forced to appeal to the Secretary of State’s office for this information only to learn that no such documents exist.

The Mayor’s office directed me to a tool on our city website, “Visual Budget.” In the Aldermen meeting, I asked our CFO & Auditor Patrick Dello Russo if this was the tool he was using to make our predictions in terms of revenues and expenditures. His reply? “We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.”

Try as I might, I could not seem to match the “Visual Budget” figures to the actual budgets I had voted on. Days later, Kerriann Golden, our Assistant Auditor confirmed, “The last actual figures reflected are Fiscal 2016,” -- two full fiscal years behind.

The outdated “Visual Budget” data was not only a waste of thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on this service, but also so inaccurate that it was actually misleading to the public. Most importantly, it could not have been being used as an accurate tool for evaluating our city’s financial outlook by anyone including our city executives.

Melrose is at a crossroads. Real estate prices have skyrocketed to an all-time high. Many new families have chosen Melrose for its great schools, beautiful downtown and its relative affordability.

Conversely, many of our families, seniors and one-income households are struggling. Recently, a Melrose Housing Authority Commissioner testified at our meeting that the waitlist for housing of Melrose families, seniors, Veterans and the handicap is in the thousands.

Sadly, I hear from residents who are told if they can’t afford this increase, they should move along. But where will they go? After paying their taxes for years, volunteering in our community, donating to all kinds of causes, including our schools, they are told they haven’t paid their “fair share” and should move along. I can think of little that is so cruel.

Even for those of us who are working, many of us are only one lockout or government shutdown away from being in financial peril.

As an Alderman-at-Large, my job is to consider the big picture ramifications of our decisions, especially when it comes to spending and taxation. When it comes to the big picture, the taxpayers deserve an unobstructed view.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly \\\\$2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

Before final decisions are made, the voters also need to know that large expenditures are waiting in the wings. What’s not included in this override, may be most significant.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although \\\\$250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Plans are in the works for the rebuilding or repair of the police and fire stations, and renovations of the library. Whether or not this question passes, each of these is expected to be presented to the voters in the form of an increase above the Prop 2 ½ limit.

Like our taxpayers, our leaders need a panoramic view before they make decisions that affect individuals so significantly. Financial forecasting in budgeting has been considered a best practice for more than a decade. Melrose can do better. Before any tax increase is considered, our taxpayers deserve an objective analysis of our financial picture and an independent audit of our books.

Thinking before you speak or do something. It\\\'s about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It\\\'s about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore?
Yup, I agree!
This post has it all.

The Message
The PR Machine is still managing to keep hold of these well-meaning but naive parents, feeding them just enough to let them think they are having an effect and that they can feel proud being part of a "positive" process. They don't realize how they have been co-opted and are being used. They don't realize that they are only being given just enough information to make them Believe.
Agree. Thank you.

Nearly all schools are non-profit, and educators take pride in working purely on behalf of the public good. But we are, in fact, businesses...Schools operate to provide education (a service) to students (customers). However, the customers are not actually students but rather parents, guardians, and families.
As adults we all know life is not fair. As teachers we do our best to make sure our classrooms are fair. When a dilemma appears unfair we try to help students see past their own belief's and examine all the details of the dilemma. One way I have found to help students see all sides of a dilemma is Tug-of-War. Tug-of-War, educational style, is a thinking routine from Making Thinking Visible:

This site has now become pathetic. The only thing that gets more posts on this site than a controversial matter in our schools is a controversial matter that is handled swiftly, professionally and correctly.

Beautiful
Thankful
Agree!
Heartbreaking
The best
Taxpayers
VOTE NO
Using scare tactics is a typical MO in this town. Similar ones were used in the last override attempt. (funny that the town survived even though the override failed) Now the local press is actively recruiting teachers to back this override, asking them to write stories in local media including newspaper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and Patch. Usually would not be a problem voicing an individual opinion, but then again who would not want a raise? Trying to maintain quality teachers is a fools errand. The really good ones will seek out towns and cities for a better salary or quality of life regardless. Simple fact of being an employee. A quality is not guaranteed by the salary of a teacher. But, this is only one part of this money grab by an administration who thinks they can solve all problems by throwing more money at the problem.

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed \\\\\\\\$5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly \\\\\\\\$2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although \\\\\\\\$250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Thinking before you speak or do something. It\\\\\\\'s about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It\\\\\\\'s about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore?
Yup, I agree!
This post has it all.
Breath deep and embrace the illusion.

You have every right to be concerned.What's going on in Melrose schools.

Go deep
Beautiful
Thankful
Agree!
Heartbreaking
The best
Taxpayers
VOTE NO
Using scare tactics is a typical MO in this town. Similar ones were used in the last override attempt. (funny that the town survived even though the override failed) Now the local press is actively recruiting teachers to back this override, asking them to write stories in local media including newspaper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and Patch. Usually would not be a problem voicing an individual opinion, but then again who would not want a raise? Trying to maintain quality teachers is a fools errand. The really good ones will seek out towns and cities for a better salary or quality of life regardless. Simple fact of being an employee. A quality is not guaranteed by the salary of a teacher. But, this is only one part of this money grab by an administration who thinks they can solve all problems by throwing more money at the problem.

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Thinking before you speak or do something. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore?
Yup, I agree!
This post has it all.

Nearly all schools are non-profit, and educators take pride in working purely on behalf of the public good. But we are, in fact, businesses...Schools operate to provide education (a service) to students (customers). However, the customers are not actually students but rather parents, guardians, and families.
As adults we all know life is not fair. As teachers we do our best to make sure our classrooms are fair. When a dilemma appears unfair we try to help students see past their own belief's and examine all the details of the dilemma. One way I have found to help students see all sides of a dilemma is Tug-of-War. Tug-of-War, educational style, is a thinking routine from Making Thinking Visible:

I think all this "re-quoting" BS is to try to get the board to it's posting limit. Sad.

Wow
Go deep
Beautiful
Thankful
Agree!
Heartbreaking
The best
Taxpayers
VOTE NO
Using scare tactics is a typical MO in this town. Similar ones were used in the last override attempt. (funny that the town survived even though the override failed) Now the local press is actively recruiting teachers to back this override, asking them to write stories in local media including newspaper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and Patch. Usually would not be a problem voicing an individual opinion, but then again who would not want a raise? Trying to maintain quality teachers is a fools errand. The really good ones will seek out towns and cities for a better salary or quality of life regardless. Simple fact of being an employee. A quality is not guaranteed by the salary of a teacher. But, this is only one part of this money grab by an administration who thinks they can solve all problems by throwing more money at the problem.

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\$250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Thinking before you speak or do something. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore?
Yup, I agree!
This post has it all.

New administration same goals. Nothing ever changes.

This is what happens when the public sits silent.

Melrose's Rising Eagle Raises Eyebrows With Extra Fee

A gratuity is a sum of money customarily given by a client or customer to certain service sector.workers for the service they have perfomed, in addition to the basic price of the service.Rising Eagle Publick Houee. 5% free.So does that mean if you don t pay the 5% percent you should not go there?Melrose Rising Eagle Raises Eyebrows with Extra fee.Can you afford to go there?

Can you blame them? Who would want to stay in a mediocre school system with mediocre pay?

Obvious
Can you blame them? Who would want to stay in a mediocre school system with mediocre pay?

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed $5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly $2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although $250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Taxpayers need unobstructed view
Obvious

from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed $5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly $2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although $250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Family's
Taxpayers need unobstructed view
Obvious

from the M Free Press:

Breathe Deep and inhale the illusion.

Bedsitter people look back and lament.................

Like our taxpayers, our leaders need a panoramic view before they make decisions that affect individuals so significantly. Financial forecasting in budgeting has been considered a best practice for more than a decade. Melrose can do better. Our taxpayers deserve an objective analysis of our financial picture and an independent audit of our books.

I agree with this post after reading Melrose messages. Melrose needs more than a new superintendent and mayor.

MELROSE, MA — The Beebe School isn't expected to be available for Melrose Public Schools until the 2021-22 school year after its current occupant informed the School Committee it will not be able to break its lease.

The School Committee said Friday evening on Twitter it "will move forward in our deliberations with an expected occupancy date for the Beebe of School Year 2021-22." The School Committee had spent the last couple months planning to have the Beebe for the 2020-21 school year.

The city's plan to reclaim the Beebe was contingent on the SEEM Collaborative finding a new home for the final year of its lease. The SEEM received two proposals to move, but apparently was unable to find the right fit.

The SEEM pays $250,000 in rent. Last April's override included money earmarked to replace the lost rent in the event the SEEM moved out. It's not immediately clear what the plans are for that money.

The delay may be a favorable outcome for a School Committee that in December put off an expected vote on what to do with the Beebe after the community expressed displeasure with how the process was taking place.

The delay also assures the incoming superintendent will have a strong say in what happens to the Beebe. Superintendent Cyndy Taymore said she will retire at the end of this school year.

“Life takes twists and turns…

Some elementary PTO moms have only constant praise for the school. Doesn't matter how bad something is. They're the first to jump to the defence of the district. Especially when another parent critcizes the school at a PTO meeting, they immediately praise it. Their kid gets to middle school, more of the same thing.

Principals routinely exploit those PTO moms. They take the easy way out. They act like one parent's praise simply cancels out another's criticism. Since there are people on both sides, it's just opinions, nothing more. They don't respond to the criticism. They don't fix the problem. The school doesn't improve.

There are two types of these PTO moms. One drinks the kool-aid all the way through. Because they're kid isn't dying, the school must be great. If nothing else, they're consistent in their selfishness.

The other type is the complete hypocrite. They kiss the principal's butt all the way through elementary and middle school. They say the superintendent is the best. The curriculum director is the best. The teachers are the best. I just heard of another kid of a PTO mom leaving the district.
It's deja vu every year. There always another bunch.

Everyone acts like everything is great because property values are high. But what if they weren't? And we're just one collapse away from that again. Today date is Feb 12 2020.

Unexpected
Everyone acts like everything is great because property values are high. But what if they weren\'t? And we\'re just one collapse away from that again. Today date is Feb 12 2020.
coronavirus is a “serious threat to the people of Massachusetts,

Venting Direction
Some elementary PTO moms have only constant praise for the school. Doesn't matter how bad something is. They're the first to jump to the defence of the district. Especially when another parent critcizes the school at a PTO meeting, they immediately praise it. Their kid gets to middle school, more of the same thing.

Principals routinely exploit those PTO moms. They take the easy way out. They act like one parent's praise simply cancels out another's criticism. Since there are people on both sides, it's just opinions, nothing more. They don't respond to the criticism. They don't fix the problem. The school doesn't improve.

There are two types of these PTO moms. One drinks the kool-aid all the way through. Because they're kid isn't dying, the school must be great. If nothing else, they're consistent in their selfishness.

The other type is the complete hypocrite. They kiss the principal's butt all the way through elementary and middle school. They say the superintendent is the best. The curriculum director is the best. The teachers are the best. I just heard of another kid of a PTO mom leaving the district.
It's deja vu every year. There always another bunch.
After putting three kids through the public schools here, I couldn’t agree more with this. I lost count of how many PTO cheerleaders, who do nothing but ass kiss and praise the teachers and administrators, end up pulling their kids out of the system by middle or high school. They spend years protecting principals and staff by deflecting criticism from other parents with their unwavering praise and support, then abruptly leave for private school when they realize that kissing the teacher’s ass won’t improve the quality of instruction for their kids.

Will school open some time in may 2020?

No. You'll be lucky if they open in September.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it's prior incarnation. Why else do you think ??????? banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

Concerned Melrosians
The MA Dept of Public Health today started publishing lists on a town by town basis (with rates per 100K people) and by hospital facility

You can find the links here:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-cases-quarantine-and-monitoring

The town list will be updated each Wednesday. It's not sortable unless you copy into an Excel spreadsheet, and hide towns with counts of 0-5 (about 84 of those, mostly in western and central MA, but not all). Melrose has 86 cases with a rate per 100K of 297, placing it in the highest 100-110 municipalities (along with Reading and Woburn), definitely lower than the rates of its surrounding towns/cities (Stoneham - 578; Malden - 559; Saugus - 482; Wakefield - 441). Not as low as Winchester's rate of 166. As we all should know by now, Melrose is not Winchester.
Thank you to the person that was able to find that information and put it out here.

Ted Kenney
Concerned Melrosians
The MA Dept of Public Health today started publishing lists on a town by town basis (with rates per 100K people) and by hospital facility

You can find the links here:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-cases-quarantine-and-monitoring

The town list will be updated each Wednesday. It's not sortable unless you copy into an Excel spreadsheet, and hide towns with counts of 0-5 (about 84 of those, mostly in western and central MA, but not all). Melrose has 86 cases with a rate per 100K of 297, placing it in the highest 100-110 municipalities (along with Reading and Woburn), definitely lower than the rates of its surrounding towns/cities (Stoneham - 578; Malden - 559; Saugus - 482; Wakefield - 441). Not as low as Winchester's rate of 166. As we all should know by now, Melrose is not Winchester.
Thank you to the person that was able to find that information and put it out here.
Posting the same thing in multiple threads is annoying. Like a child In the backseat that won’t stop repeating the same thing over and over.

Thanks! That's a relief!

People have been asking that question for a long time now. The only conclusion I can come to is that Melrose has the biggest collection of ignorant, ill-informed, apathetic voters I have ever seen. I guess we'll find out just how bad it has to get. The system is already in free fall, and is an absolute joke to anyone in the education business. Who's to blame? Start with the self-proclaimed "education expert" in the second floor office at City Hall

Melrose Taxpayers
People have been asking that question for a long time now. The only conclusion I can come to is that Melrose has the biggest collection of ignorant, ill-informed, apathetic voters I have ever seen. I guess we'll find out just how bad it has to get. The system is already in free fall, and is an absolute joke to anyone in the education business. Who's to blame? Start with the self-proclaimed "education expert" in the second floor office at City Hall
There is another education expert? Dolan has fallen off my radar but isn't he with Lynnfield? Has Broduer said that he is an Education Expert too?

Deja Vu
Melrose Taxpayers
There is another education expert? Dolan has fallen off my radar but isn't he with Lynnfield? Has Broduer said that he is an Education Expert too?
Maybe the bigger question should be.Are we going to continue down the same road.Maybe we have not learned from are past mistakes. This is about education.Maybe someday we have a real discussion.

Middle class school systems will never be top notch. Looking through these posts is comical. Where do you people think you live, Winchester? Lexington? Belmont? You live in MELROSE. Most of you are just upset because you moved here and overspent by 100 K on a two bed one bath. We don’t have the tax base or the revenue to ever thrive in the education system. Why do you think many Melrose residents send their kids to parochial or private schools. I’m not saying don’t make the effort to make the system better but realize that we are capped and be realistic. There are many other parts of our city budget that need money to, not every cent can go to the schools.

DPW needs money to make much-needed infrastructure changes. All three fire departments look like they are about to cave in and collapse. The police department is so undermanned it’s borderline dangerous. These are just three quick thoughts that come to mind when I hear people trying to over extend what we really are here in this city when it comes to education. Money needs to go elsewhere.

Reality
Middle class school systems will never be top notch. Looking through these posts is comical. Where do you people think you live, Winchester? Lexington? Belmont? You live in MELROSE. Most of you are just upset because you moved here and overspent by 100 K on a two bed one bath. We don’t have the tax base or the revenue to ever thrive in the education system. Why do you think many Melrose residents send their kids to parochial or private schools. I’m not saying don’t make the effort to make the system better but realize that we are capped and be realistic. There are many other parts of our city budget that need money to, not every cent can go to the schools.

DPW needs money to make much-needed infrastructure changes. All three fire departments look like they are about to cave in and collapse. The police department is so undermanned it’s borderline dangerous. These are just three quick thoughts that come to mind when I hear people trying to over extend what we really are here in this city when it comes to education. Money needs to go elsewhere.
Yes.....a lot of people watch those meetings on MMTV - however, before watching ////// committee meetings - I usually need to take medication to prevent me from vomiting- if you get my meaning!

Maybe the biggest thing we need to think about is how this affects our children not going to school.How life outside of a school affects student.

Behavior
Maybe the biggest thing we need to think about is how this affects our children not going to school.How life outside of a school affects student.
All Mother:s Today is your day all things that you do thank you .To Day is Mother:s Day.

Re: More Social Distancing

When you’re out socially distanced, wear a mask,And when you get behind the wheel, slow down

So what are we doing for the class 2020?Graduating high school?

Maybe the bigger question should be.Are we going to continue down the same road.Maybe we have not learned from are past mistakes?

I think the MUCH bigger question is why you don't put a space between periods and the beginning of the next sentence?

Life takes twists and turns…

Just remember. The best budget is the one you will stick with.

Ted Kenney
Just remember. The best budget is the one you will stick with.

Christoper Cinella
69 Cranmore Lane
(617) 917-4248

Jack Eccles
99 Essex Street, #10
(781) 913-0188

Maya Jamaleddine
10 Melrose Street
(781) 462-1960

Leila Migliorelli
25 Dartmouth Road
(781) 462-1425

Ward Councilor
John N. Tramontozzi
Ward 1
794 Franklin Street
(781) 662-6175

Jeffrey McNaught
Ward 2
94 Clifford Street
(781) 620-0442

Robb Stewart
Ward 3
92 Trenton Street
(781) 521-4913

Mark Garipay
Ward 4
71 Mooreland Road
(781) 665-0988

Shawn MacMaster
Ward 5
35 Brazil Street
(781) 462-1875

Jen Grigoraitis
Ward 6
419 Lebanon Street
(781) 462-1288

Cory Thomas
Ward 7
19 Linwood Avenue
(617) 957-4227
City Council Melrose Massachusetts Phone Numbers And Address That Represent all of us.

.Long-shuttered stores may unlocking their doors. And manufacturers are starting to hire employees back to the assembly lines. But the economic recovery might not be a quick one, a state fiscal watchdog group warned Thursday.

The hopes for a sharp and immediate rebound from the COVID-19 shutdown in Massachusetts are no longer realistic, according to the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, which is now predicting a long and slow climb that will strain state resources. State revenues may not fully recover until 2025, MTF said.

The impacts of the economic downturn could be mitigated by tapping into the state’s $3.5 billion reserve fund or if Congress sent more relief funding to states like Massachusetts, but even with stimulus the group said past recessions have proven that the state could be in for a multi-year period of austerity.

“To state the implications straightforwardly: the Commonwealth will have limited budgetary flexibility for the next several years as tax revenues slowly rebound, particularly if the demand for safety net services resulting from an ailing economy and an aging population drive up expenditures,” MTF said in the report.

The paper published Thursday was a follow-up to the foundation’s report earlier this month downgrading its revenue estimates for the fiscal year that begins July 1 to reflect an anticipated $6 billion drop in projected tax collections. The foundation’s newly pessimistic outlook on the length of the recovery is based on what it said was the severity of the decline and the widespread and fundamental changes the pandemic has wrought on pillars of the state’s economy, like higher education and tourism.

Ted Kenney
John Tramontozzi.A “Perfect storm” of economic uncertainty threatens the Budget of the City of Melrose.
Recently the Massachusetts Municipal Association announced that “Communities are at the Center of Three Waves:”
1. The murder of George Floyd has catapulted this nation into a defining moment, with sweepings calls to address the systemic racism that persists in our society and economy;
2. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to disrupt our daily lives and businesses, and this deadly threat to public health is draining resources, straining families, and reshaping government services and operations;
3. The Massachusetts economy is battered by the Covid-19 emergency, and state and local governments face historically deep fiscal challenges and uncertainty that could last for years.
The citizens of our city have faced tremendous personal and financial burdens. These challenges have been met with a spirit of volunteerism, community investment, and activism. We have reached into our hearts and pockets to support one another. We have more challenges ahead as we address the Health economic security and social well-being of our diverse population of citizens
Many of our neighboring cities and towns have begun to face their budgetary challenges with deep cuts and, in some cases, immediate layoffs of municipal employees. The State is dealing with its own financial difficulties with deficits predicted to be in the area of 6-8 billion dollars, which means a certain drastic drop in reimbursed funds to the cities and towns.
I believe the impact of these uncharted times amid the coronavirus crisis and social adversity and reform are financially uncalculated. Members of the City Council and the Administration carry a responsibility not only to anticipate these financial burdens to our citizens but meet these challenges proactively. The city has, and will, be faced with unprecedented costs for which we cannot rely on State or Federal Government funding to support.
If we continue the current course taken in our deliberations on the FY 2021 budget, of refusing to stay the automatic raises (cost of living increases) we will be coming back to our citizens who are struggling through a pandemic with our hands out, inexplicably having funded an increase in salary for every employee of every department at City Hall. In the past several weeks I have consistently advocated that we must stay these raises, It is a misnomer to refer to this common-sense practice of level city funding at the Fiscal Year 2020 rates (where possible) as “cuts”. I am not proposing “cuts” in non-union employee salaries, I am proposing that there be no FY2021 raises. This is a reasonable, sensible, and fiscally responsible approach as we continue to serve an economically and socially diverse population.
It is our job, though at times uncomfortable, to face the fiscal realities on behalf of all of our citizens, our most vulnerable being the hardest hit in times such as these. I am joined by veteran City Councilor MacMaster in efforts to mitigate the inevitable impact on our citizens and city employees but have yet to gain support from the rest of the City Council,
I would encourage all residents and taxpayers of this City to reach out to the City Council to express your opinions on how we should address the FY2021 Budget.
Christoper Cinella
69 Cranmore Lane
(617) 917-4248

Jack Eccles
99 Essex Street, #10
(781) 913-0188

Maya Jamaleddine
10 Melrose Street
(781) 462-1960

Leila Migliorelli
25 Dartmouth Road
(781) 462-1425

Ward Councilor
John N. Tramontozzi
Ward 1
794 Franklin Street
(781) 662-6175

Jeffrey McNaught
Ward 2
94 Clifford Street
(781) 620-0442

Robb Stewart
Ward 3
92 Trenton Street
(781) 521-4913

Mark Garipay
Ward 4
71 Mooreland Road
(781) 665-0988

Shawn MacMaster
Ward 5
35 Brazil Street
(781) 462-1875

Jen Grigoraitis
Ward 6
419 Lebanon Street
(781) 462-1288

Cory Thomas
Ward 7
19 Linwood Avenue
(617) 957-4227
City Council Melrose Massachusetts Phone Numbers And Address That Represent all of us.Just remember. The best budget is the one you will stick with.

Mass. DPH announces 38 new confirmed COVID-19 deaths in state

The state’s Department of Public Health announced on Saturday afternoon that an additional 38 people who had confirmed cases of COVID-19 have died in Massachusetts as a result of the virus.

That increase pushes the death toll from COVID-19 in the Commonwealth to 7,576 people. Of those fatalities, 7,420 deaths were among people with confirmed cases of the virus, while the additional 156 deaths were among people who had probable cases of COVID-19.

Also, Mass. DPH reported that there are an additional 336 cases of the virus in the state since their last update on Friday. Of those new cases, 259 are confirmed cases of COVID-19, while 77 are probable cases.

That means that there are 101,070 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Massachusetts and an additional 4,325 probable cases, according to DPH.

In addition to those increases, Mass. DPH also reported that 10,160 more people have been given molecular tests for COVID-19 in the state, bringing the total number of people tested via molecular test to 699,271 in Mass.

Also, 1,264 additional people were tested via antibody test, pushing the total number of people given that type of test to 57,048.
Friday, June 12:

9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18