Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Concerned parent

I recently purchase my house in Melrose, and im excited to join this community. When i bought my house, i was told my house sit both in Melrose and Saugus, where i pay taxes for both counties. The previous owner kids(decades ago) went to school in Melrose, however i just discovered the school district for my house is Saugus and not Melrose despite utility bills, mail, part of my taxes, and voting are for Melrose county. I'm concerned because one of the biggest reason to purchasing this property was so my son could attend school in Melrose, which has a great education system. Do you think if i appeal my case to the school board, my son will be able to attend school in Melrose? Has anyone gone through this situation before? I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Sarah

Re: Concerned parent

Good luck with this one - Melrose school system is already beyond over-load! Special consideration should be given to people like you! I bet most of your property resides in Saugus but then the fact that you are required to vote in Melrose doesn't make sense. Given the choice between Saugus and Melrose- I would fight this - although Saugus just built a state of the art high school!

Tell them that your bedroom and your sons bedroom is in the Melrose part of the property. He sleeps in Melrose.
This may help.

I almost believed you until you said that Melrose has a great education system.

Can you find the previous owner to get the low down. who told you he cant go to Melrose? Does your address say Saugus or Melrose I think if you provide the required documentation when registering they cant deny you.