Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Page 3

I thought now might be good time to start a "Page 3" and put the past in the past. So what should we start off with? Hmmm......

The School Committee, no way.

Presidential election? Nah, too controversial for good friends.

Principals controlling the park jungle gyms? Good Lord, no.

Dogs? Well, to be honest, I would like to hear how Geezer's pup is doing.

By the way, is it possible to teach a dog to "fetch" only undamaged golf balls? Sorry, just thinking about possible sources of tax free retirement income.

Re: Page 3

Oh, let's talk about the mayor's new television reality shows on MMTV! They're thigh-slapping hilarious! Can't he at least eat some worms or give some blond a rose???? OFF the island with him!!!!

My pup is doing very well OG, thank you for asking. She's great company, and gives me a laugh every day, which is much needed. She was never able to tell the difference between damaged and undamaged golf balls, but I can't say that that would be the same for every dog.
I will tell you, however, that "used" golf balls as a source of tax free income schtinks! A couple of summers ago "we" had that same thought, and found/collected over 900 of them at "the Hood" on our walks. (I should emphasize that not one of them was from a fairway, or from the rough of a hole at any time that anyone was playing.) Trying to sell them on Craig's List, even practically giving them away, was an exercise in futility, so I ended up giving them all to one of my cousins! I've had better luck with the money my pup has found while we walk (so far $18.75) as tax free income. Or an I supposed to report that?

Yes, that would be reportable income.

But don't worry, I'll make a few calls and see if the IRS guy's will overlook this.

Now, if in the next few days, a young looking kid dressed like an accountant rings your doorbell, just don't answer it and tell your dog, "shush"!

Wouldn't it be the dog's responsibility to report that income under her SS # that I got in order to claim her as a dependent?
Or shouldn't I be admitting that?

I see nothing wrong with that Geezer. That sounds like proper Estate Planning as well. Have you considered contacting some of the local and national Campaigns to determine what the value of her vote might be?

Oh and Filomina, thanks a lot! I now have a vivid picture of the mayor, bending over and slapping his thighs, permanently emblazoned into my head.

Well, she's a Democrat, so her vote is a foregone conclusion (although I hesitated to mention that for fear of incurring the wrath of some of the posters on other strings!).

Be careful now. If you open that door, who knows what might slither in and ruin our little safe house.

Oh, oh.

Remembering's in trouble....again.

I know,right? I don't get why this keeps happening. All I did this time was ask abut the butcher shop. Ifeel like Dale and Mildred are the same person. They have like that same tone to their messages. So, are we actually getting a butcher shop anyway?

I thought Geezer might appreciate this. I was going to post it on one of the more, um, controversial strings but I think that would just "unleash" (pun intended) a firestorm.

DOG PICKS UP PAUL CASET'S GOLF BALL AT DUNHILL LINKS CHAMPIONSHIP
By Jonathan Wall | Devil Ball Golf

Paul Casey's golf game has been in the doghouse this year. With only five made cuts in 17 events, 2012 has been a forgettable one for the Englishman. And on Friday at the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, his season took another bizarre turn when a dog ran onto the 12th green in St. Andrews and picked up Casey's ball as he was eyeing an eagle putt.

Casey reportedly asked the dog to take the ball and drop it closer to the hole, but instead of following orders, he ran off. A spectator caught the ball thief on the 13th and retrieved Casey's original ball.

Casey went on to birdie the hole and, because he's a nice guy, even gave the ball back to the dog as he was walking off the green.

An interesting story....tanks! I can picture my dog doing that (except that of course she is never off of her leash!)

Good thing it didn't happen at The Hood though. They'd have shot the dog (and maybe the owner) and then banned dogs from the entirety of Slayton Road, and restricted golf membership to non dog owners. Well, maybe I'm being a tad bit harsh with that scenario!

Geezer
Well, she's a Democrat, so her vote is a foregone conclusion (although I hesitated to mention that for fear of incurring the wrath of some of the posters on other strings!).

Oh no, you didn't call ME a D, did you???? Perish the thought!

By the way, did you know that rolling your foot over old golf balls (assuming they're not covered in dog slobber) can help that Plantar Fascitis that we former jitterbuggers sometimes must suffer?

No, his dog is a Democrat.

Geezer

All dogs are Democrats.

Every time you put a can or a bag of dog food into a bowl, that's wealth redistribution.

And every time she allows you to come along on her daily walks, that's entitlement.

And if she allows you to sit on her couch in the TV room while she sits in your lap, well...

...that's just priceless.

Brilliant Holmes!
You're ok in my book OG,

Just checking in to see how you're doing Geezer

By the way, I thought you should know there are lots of new posts on the "Schools" strings. And I must say, they are just as didactic as they were three or four years ago.

Old Guy
Just checking in to see how you're doing Geezer

By the way, I thought you should know there are lots of new posts on the "Schools" strings. And I must say, they are just as didactic as they were three or four years ago.

Oooh, "didactic"--a big word!!!! You guys are fun!

Just FYI:

di·dac·tic adjective dī-ˈdak-tik, də-

Definition of DIDACTIC

a : designed or intended to teach
b : intended to convey instruction and information as well as pleasure and entertainment
: making moral observations
— di·dac·ti·cal adjective
— di·dac·ti·cal·ly adverb
— di·dac·ti·cism noun

Welcome, Old Gal.

FYI - We strive to provide every visitor to our little "safe house" with not only with a learning experience, but also an escape from the nastiness found on the other strings of this board.

Actually, and to be truthful, Geezer and I have just have this thing about trying to outdo each other with words we think the other won't know.

But I see we have expanded your vocabulary today, if only by one word. And I bet you will be using that word to impress, confound or confuse your friends in the near future.

Am I right?

You betcha. Thank you for the kind welcome! I will be sure to recognize all didactic entries! Have a swell day!

Well....I've hit the big 50 today! Sortof feeling wistful and still think of myself as 35. Isn't 50 the new "40"?

I didn't have the courage to ask that anywhere else on this board. Now what do I do? Suggestions? xxxooo

You make the same point that Douglas Coupland made almost 15 years ago; we psychologically stop aging at about 35. Happy birthday, Pattycakes.

patricia wright
Well....I've hit the big 50 today! Sortof feeling wistful and still think of myself as 35. Isn't 50 the new "40"?

I didn't have the courage to ask that anywhere else on this board. Now what do I do? Suggestions? xxxooo

Now don't you worry your little aging head one bit Patty. I've got you covered.

Our Seniors Admissions Committee is preparing all the proper documents and they should be arriving in your mailbox shortly. Once we receive your completed forms, our Qualifications Committee will complete the background check, which I'm sure will present no problems.

And then, it's just up to a vote of the Membership Committee (Chaired by Geezer), formalize your membership status!

And that's it....... well except for..... um....... that little Initiation Ceremony thing, but let's not worry about that right now.

LMAO! Old Guy that was more heart felt than a birthday card! I’ll be sure to review the application for any “fine print’ and get that right back to the Admissions Committee!

I do have a question however. This IS Melrose…and… well….we all know how things are done around here so I was wondering if references on my behalf would be taken into consideration? I’m not certain I’ve curried much favor locally and I would really be devastated if my chance at membership in this esteemed community was thwarted by some ….well….less than positive feedback.

And to Real Facts….thanks for the well wishes. I like a guy I can fight with then kiss and make up! And as far as the initiation ceremony is concerned everyone should be over 50 so how bad can it be?

Fighting then kissing and making up...isn't that the definition of a successful marriage?

patricia wright
And as far as the initiation ceremony is concerned everyone should be over 50 so how bad can it be?

Geezer,

I think she's onto us. So let's cancel the order for the whipped cream barrel and pickles and go with Option 2.

Oh no! No no no no no nooooooo!!!! Whip cream and pickles sounds……hmmmm….FABUOUS! Although I have my reservations about the pickles. I’m not sure they are technically part of the FDA's “food group”

What is happening on this message board? Can't even get into a good beef lately. Everyone is being too nicey nicey! It's sick! I say we start a fight and perk things up a bit. Patty... you go first.

Oh yeah? Well you're a poopy-head. So there!

You talkin' ta me?

Grumpy
Oh yeah? Well you're a poopy-head. So there!

I'm not sure this is exactly what Remembering meant. So I took care of her request on another string.

There ya go. Got my first response. Let the fight begin!

And of course, a little more fuel never hurts.

Gee. I thought I'd at least get a little "thank you" note for restoring the board to disorder.

Thanks! Somehow neither the "assault" or "school building" things (not sure which was yours) made me want to fight. Except for that line: "anyone who doesn't think the police in this city don't do some unethical things". Really! If you're going to be all sanctimonious about something, at least clean up your grammar before you post it. I guess I'm in more of a picayune mood than a fighting one.

Oh! OK, OG. I see what you did there. I can tell by the post times which one you started. Good job. You really got them going. The best is the one that thinks you are either "M" or "B" that works for the mayor. Even better, the string ends with that person who has that unmistakable, ranting style of posting. Strings usually end after that one chimes in.

Bingo! Guilty as charged. It was fun though.

Hey Geezer, are you OK? Maybe just fed up with this place?

I hope that's all it is.

Fightin' a different "battle". Hope to be back soon. Thank you for asking.

[:-|]

Is there an accepted rule/time frame regarding how long one saves a single sock, hoping the other will 'turn up'?
Is two years long enough?

It's inside the sleeve of that ugly flannel shirt in the back of your closet, that you never wear anymore.

Geezer
Is there an accepted rule/time frame regarding how long one saves a single sock, hoping the other will 'turn up'?

Ever find it in your pant leg AFTER you got to work? I see Geezer back here, but where's Fossil?

Geezer

Well Geezer, according to my calculations it's been almost 1 year and 1 month since it went missing. Any luck on your daily searches?

It's really sorta spooky that you asked this right now OG, almost like the Twilight Zone. The other sock never showed up, BUT, about 3 days ago my heel went through one of my socks, and amazingly, the one good one that was left was an exact match of the single I had saved.
Are you psychic?

Old Guy
patricia wright
And as far as the initiation ceremony is concerned everyone should be over 50 so how bad can it be?

Geezer,

I think she's onto us. So let's cancel the order for the whipped cream barrel and pickles and go with Option 2.

I'm still looking forward to the initiation ceremony!

Well, my older brother used to call me a name that sounded like psychic, but I think it ended with an " o ".

Oh, and Geezer... Don't say anything, but I think we forgot Patty's initiation ceremony. Do you still have those pickles in your garage? They last forever, I'm told. Unfortunately, I used up the last of the whipped cream months ago.

Old Guy:

Look; you have got to invite me to this initiation ( I didn't move that far away to miss this). You guys definitely know how to throw a party. I was thinking of bringing some nuts or jimmies to sprinkle on --- wait are we supposed to sprinkle it on the wiped cream or her?

I don't think we are allowed to give away the "secrets" of the initiation ceremony here, in public, but if you can imagine/picture it, it's in the ceremony!
And of course you'll be invited RATT!

Geezers right. Can't give the "secrets" part away, as thought provoking RATT's post was.