Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A confession

I’ve thought a lot about what your diagnosis of me was Old Guy and you’re right. I’m an unaware closet Republican. Boy that was cathartic! Although faced with the malady, treatment may not be necessary or in my case help much. I’ve been a seething caldron of what Real Facts loves to point out about me of politically incongruous, emotionally charged idealism. But I’m okay with that.

I’m tired of the “you’re either with us or against us” mentality of both parties but particularly with the party I was raised to believe was the “good” party. I can’t stand the elected hacks we have in Clark, Broduer and McGee and don’t even get me started on Coakley! I’m sick of seeing how my tax dollars get pumped into a cesspool of food stamp and welfare fraud. Daycare vouchers going to families that don’t even work! This I know first-hand!

I work 60 hours a week or more 6 days a week and I do plenty of pro bono work on the side. I’m killing myself to put my daughter through college paying more in state and federal taxes the sum total of which amounts to the salary of one of my legal assistants, yet I make too much money for my daughter to even qualify for federal or state loans. I don’t have a retirement fund…never got child support in 20 years, didn’t’ take food stamps or welfare when I could have, put myself through under graduate and law school, bought a house that even after 13 years later still looks like the Weasley’s house in Harry Potter. (my neighbors will gladly confirm that).

I’m not ready to completely join the dark side but I’m beginning to realize that the Republicans have a few things I agree with. I’m not better than the average bear, but perhaps the one thing in hindsight that pushed me to keep going was the fact that I didn’t have a safety net. These programs don’t help people. They only serve to create an uneducated class doomed to mediocrity and poverty.

I don’t have answers and I’m not resentful. I suppose I’m just at a point in my life where I’m beginning to realize the difference between the “haves” and the “have nots” is a lot more complicated and cannot be solved by throwing money at people who learn to live on it and become anesthetized to thinking they can do no better.

Re: A confession

I'm glad I could be a part of the Republicization of Patty" but you give me too much credit. So let's just leave it at this...

As Winston Churchill once said...

"If you're 20 and not a liberal you have no heart.
But if you're 30 and not a conservative you have no brain."

patricia wright
I’m not ready to completely join the dark side but I’m beginning to realize that the Republicans have a few things I agree with. I’m not better than the average bear, but perhaps the one thing in hindsight that pushed me to keep going was the fact that I didn’t have a safety net. These programs don’t help people. They only serve to create an uneducated class doomed to mediocrity and poverty.

OK, I should have said more than the previous post so...

This paragraph says it all Patty. I could not agree with you more and that's all I'm going to say because I prefer not to get dragged into the inevitable message board battles that are sure to break out when the anti-Patty's see this string.

If I take the quote above as true, then I, as the Scarecrow, will wander out of sight along the yellow brick road.

Geezer
If I take the quote above as true, then I, as the Scarecrow, will wander out of sight along the yellow brick road.

I knew that. That's why I blamed it on Winnie and why I don't like to get into that stuff.

I have a best friend I often go fishing with. Early on, we both decided we can't talk politics while in the boat, because sooner or later one of us won't be coming back.

And by the way Geezer. I forgot to mention it but.... Thanks! for creating that last string when I (and I'm pretty sure others) really needed it.

I second old guys last remark. It was kind of fun to dust off some of the old cobwebs on this gray thing inside my head. It fells kind of good, to remember those things that gave you a smile when you were young.

Pattycakes, welcome to the Reality-Based Community! But don't trust the GOP, either.

To Patricia.....I just read your posting above.....I don't know you and never met you.....but I always thought that you were a courageous person...from your past postings on this message board and how honest and forthright you have been .....this just confirms it in my mind! If ever I need a good lawyer who will give me honest representation and their full commitment...I need not look any further than you!

Myron...that was a lovely thing to say. I would have answered earlier but I had to bring by daughter back to school. We actually met a long time ago at an Alderman meeting but there were a lot of people around.

If you ever need anything you come to me first....no charge.

Oh! Geezer and Old Guy that goes for you two as well!