Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
" THE DANCE "

I just saw this in the Patch and thought to myself, Holy Moly (I know, thats a Geezer term) but what the heck, it fit. It says the dance has been going on "for decades" and I can personally vouch for that. Someone should check and see if this isn't the longest continuously running youth event in Melrose history.

The only difference between "then" and "now", that I can see is the presence of Cops, we didn't have them.

Here's the article
=======================
PATCH:
The first middle school dance of the season will be held on September 20th, 7-10 pm at the Melrose Highlands Congregational Church, 355 Franklin Street. MHCC has hosted the well-attended monthly events for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders for decades.

What should parents know about the dance? Numerous chaperones are present at every dance to ensure that student behavior is respectful and safe. Police are present at every dance as an additional security measure. Students are requested to stay at the dance until 10 pm unless they notify a chaperone and are picked up by a parent.

What should students know about the dance? This dance is for you! The adults present want you to dance, talk with your friends, and have fun. Chaperones also expect you to follow the rules regarding behavior. The dance rules are posted as you enter the building and everyone should read them carefully.

Students and parents should be aware of the dress code. No bare backs or bellies, no strapless tops. No hats, jackets, sweatshirts, backpacks, or pocketbooks are allowed in the dance hall. Coats may be hung in the coat closet and hats and pocketbooks may be stored on a rack in the kitchen which is monitored. Try to leave valuables at home and keep your phone in your pocket.

Students, remember admission to the dance is $8. Exact change will make the line move faster.

Re: " THE DANCE "

I saw that article also, and it was of course an immediate "flashback".
I don't recall an admission fee though, do you? (Nor do I remember there even being a need for a 'dress code'!)

I vaguely remember one of those folding tables with a white cloth on it, on the right hand side of the hall as you came in the front door. I think they were collecting something like 50 cents to pay for the Records? You know what I mean, one of those vinyl things that you put on a spinning machine with a needle?

Regarding the Dress Code, I could never get those strapless tops to stay up so I guess, if they had a dress code, I never knew it.

I wonder if the Girls all still huddle on the left side of the room and the Boys on the right side of the room so there's like a "no mans land" in the middle... until the dancing gets going?

Old Guy. I can't really picture you in a strapless number. You should have tried a tube top (although they did tend to flatten things out a bit. A halter top is much more defining!

The dress code doesn't say anything about poodle skirts, so apparently those are still allowed!

Geezer
Poodle Skirts

LOL! See now? THIS is why I like this site.

I don't think I've heard the words "Poodle Skirt" since the Donna Reed Show was on the air, but I knew exactly where Geezer was going with it.

That's it. My weekend has been "made".

Ya those were the days, I can still remember getting ready for the dance. Pink shirt, string tie, peg pants (with saddle stitching)and about half a pound of Brylcream or Vitalis for my DA.

RATT
Ya those were the days, I can still remember getting ready for the dance. Pink shirt, string tie, peg pants (with saddle stitching)and about half a pound of Brylcream or Vitalis for my DA.

And what Duck's A#% would be complete without a good soaking of English Leather to send the young ladies into a tizzy?

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who kept English Leather in business! Maybe once in a while a little 'Hai Karate' (sp?)

and RATT....a little dab didn't doya?

Geezer
And here I was thinking that I was the only one who kept English Leather in business! Maybe once in a while a little 'Hai Karate' (sp?)

and RATT....a little dab didn't doya?

OK, I have to admit it....... I didn't list Hai Karate in my post because I wasn't sure know how to spell " Hai ".

Look; I'm not saying that I used a lot of gunk in my hair. But, when I reported to the lakes for boot camp, I almost burned out the barber's clippers when he gave me that buzz cut.