Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just Me?

Is it just me, or does it it seem like this whole thing with football players "celebrating" when they do their job is getting very out of hand? I mean, when a defensive player makes a tackle, is it necessary to jump up, dance, put their fingers to the sky, etc. etc. etc.? Haven't they simply just done what they were hired to do? Wouldn't it seem a little odd to you if the salespeople in the stores did a celebratory dance every time they rang up a sale?
This certainly isn't a world changing topic, of course, it's just been bothering me.
I don't know, maybe it's just me!

Re: Just Me?

No Geezer.....I agree with you! These may be people who rarely get noticed or infrequently get their job done ...so when they accomplish something...it;s all "high fives" jumping up and down...and essentially looking like a fool! I'm speaking here about professionals.

An extension of this may be seen in the political arena.....a good teaching moment for children....remember when Obamacare, A.K.A. Affordable Health Care Law, got passed in 2010 and when Vice President Biden said that professional epithet as President Obama stepped up to the mike...and then other professional house and senate members "spiked" the football? Now these same people call it "The Affordable Health Care Law"..nothing to see here folks....just move on.

Is there any post this MFD character won't hijack for his political purposes? Do we really need that stuff over here?

Oh well.

That was a great subject, Geezer. I've been noticing the same thing for a while but this year it's getting crazy. I thought the NFL had a rule against "over celebration" or something, but apparently I'm wrong?

Yes there are rules about over celebrating (mainly in the end zone), but I think it goes along with taunting and it is up to the discretion of the referee.

Me too! These so-called professionals are trying to grab any spotlight they can. Did Jack Lambert celebrate after making tackles or Ronnie Lott after breaking up pass plays? These guys let their hard-nosed play speak for themselves.

Another thing that steams my bean is basketball players slapping hands with a free-throw shooter after every free-throw; even if they miss the free throw. When did this come into fashion?

Old Guy
Is there any post this MFD character won't hijack for his political purposes? Do we really need that stuff over here?

No, and no. [:-|]

Oh that free throw thing really bugs me too. The guy's at the foul line. He hit's his first shot. The last thing he needs is to have four other guys slap his a$$ or do the hand slap thing or whatever.

Think about it. The guy just hit his first free throw. He's in the groove. Why in the world would you slap his shooting hand? Let him make his second shot!

Jeesh!!!

ok, i'm done venting now...

This is a good place for venting OG! Do it any ole time. I agree with the absurdness of the 'free throw ritual' also. And the combination of the two sports, "dunking" the football over the goal post is ridiculous also. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can jump, I should hope so, you're an athlete.

I do want to say that I have a heck of a lot more respect for the receiver or running back who, upon scoring a touchdown, just flips the ball to the ref, and walks/runs off of the field.

Geezer
And the combination of the two sports, "dunking" the football over the goal post is ridiculous also.

There should also be a rule... "If you can't actually dunk a football over the goal post, then don't embarrass yourself by trying".

From what I've seen, 50% of the dunkers end up just barely scraping the ball over the post.

Agreed
No, and no. [:-|]

Thanks...and I didn't think so.

Remember when Daryll Strawberry used to do back flips? No one in baseball ever did that. I thought that was sorta neat! The football dances drive me crazy though.

And another thing...........Am I the only one who realizes that the "holiday special" at Dunkin of 3 lbs for $19.99 is MORE expensive than coffee was all Summer and Fall?

At first, I thought it was because the Winter Holidays are more expensive than the Summer/Fall Holidays but then Maine legalized fireworks and "some of the offspring" talked Grampy into financing more than $500 of fireworks (they caught me on a day of very good fishing, and the Red Sox won).

So I hope all that helps you out, Geezer, because I'm not sure what I just said but it sounded like it made sense, given the close relationship between coffee and fireworks, that is.

Soitenly !

Geezer
And another thing...........Am I the only one who realizes that the "holiday special" at Dunkin of 3 lbs for $19.99 is MORE expensive than coffee was all Summer and Fall?

How much is it at the grocery stores?