Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Little help?

Hey Geezer, Ratt,

Have either of you gone through a battle against Shingles? I know I have a fairly mild case (blister wise) and it's almost gone but it seems like this is never going to end.

Re: Little help?

Sorry Old Guy, I lucked out and never got it. However; I was not going to tempt fait, so I got the shot two years ago when I was 70.

Thanks RATT.

They say 1 out of 3 get it in their 60's and above. So I must be the lucky 1 and you and Geezer are the 2 and the 3. It's not that painful, more like a nagging "when will this go away" pain that's just annoying.

Sorry to hear you're going through that OG, but from what little experience I have with it (from a couple friends and family members), believe it or not, you're "lucky" with the pain level you're describing.
I have been procrastinating about getting 'the shot' for ages now (being one of those shot-weenies) but this might finally prompt me to do it (maybe).

Yah, I was told a while ago I could get the shot, but they couldn't be sure it would work and it might actually kick off an event, it just depends on the person so I opted out. The encouraging part is, after going thru a shingles event it is very, very rare to get another one.

The pain thing is really wierd. I have an overall thing going where the rash itches, but becomes borderline painful later in the day, but one asprin seems to take care of that. Also, the last blister (the contagious part) is almost gone. This hole thing started around Veterans Day but it took about two weeks before we figured our what it was. It started on my left shoulder so I thought my seat belt was going on too tight, causing the blisters.

Oh well. I'll just wait this thing out.

Old Guy, Geezer is right about the severity of the pain. I remember decades ago when my step-grandmother had it, she was one hurting puppy and ended up in the hospital. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

To Geezer, I went down to Rite-Aid and got the shot. I was in and out in a couple of minutes, believe me it is worth it, if only for your peace of mind.

Yah RATT, I've heard some of the stories where people were thinking they were having heart attacks and things like that when it was just the pain from Shingles. I have had some "shooting pain" incidents, but only a few, four at the most. One went down my right side and it felt like a lightning bolt was going to come shooting out of my big toe and a similar one down the arm and out a finger (I forget which one) but both lasted less than 5 seconds and the rest felt kind of "cramp like" but were very minor. Also, I haven't had a pain incident for about 4 or 5 days, except fot the rash itch thing.

This is very helpful, guys. I really appreciate the info. It gives me an idea of what to expect, or at least be ready for.

I had a very mild case a few years ago. Only a little sensitivity, and a mild rash, but no blistering. I went to the doctor, and the only way they figured out what it was is because it was on my temples. They were a little concerned that it might migrate to my eyes, which I guess is very bad, but it never did. I also asked about the shot but he said the cure might be worse than the disease, and since I already had it, he recommended passing on the shot.

I remember having the measles when I was very young, but again, only a very mild case, but the doctor told me the severity of the measles incident has nothing to do with the severity of the shingles outbreak. I guess I'm just lucky. A friend of mine had it and was in agony for weeks. Nasty stuff.

Just one more confirmation that getting old sucks, but we already knew that, didn't we? [:-|]

Thanks Fossil, it's good to hear from someone else who had the mild form. We figured out what mine was by looking where it formed (left shoulder). No other disease does this, apparently. The blisters form on one side or the other side of your upper torso and head. You can literally take a magic marker and draw a line from your forehead, all the way down the middle of your body to the point where "Mr. Happy" lives and a shingles case will be on one side of the line or the other, but not both. The rash spreads out and over the line but not the blisters.

Also, in you post you mentioned the measles. I think you meant the chicken pox. Shingles is the dormant form of chicken pox and nobody knows what causes it to "wake up" and start causing trouble. That surprised me. I would have thought the doctors would have figured it out over the past 60 to 70 years.

I did mean chicken pox, of course. Another massive brain fart, which seems to be happening more and more lately.

Now that I think back on it, it was on just one side of my face at the temple. It scared the crap out of me when they said if it got into my eye it could be very serious.

One thing I did not know - if a person has never had chicken pox then shingles is extremely contagious, but they do not get shingles, they get a case of the chicken pox. It is during the rash or blister stage that you are the most contagious. Fortunately I did not pass it on to any of my grandkids.

You got that right Fossil. Someone with shingles cannot cause anyone else to get shingles.

But someone with shingles can give someone chicken pox IF that person has never had chicken pox and has not been vaccinated. (New born babies and immigrants are at the most risk for this)

And you were VERY, VERY lucky yours did not go to the eyes. Googling will take you to some really nasty pictures of that and it scared the **** out of me, and my breakout was on my shoulder.

Now I'M ascared Norton, I think this time I will get 'the shot'.

This line of yours OG "I would have thought the doctors would have figured it out over the past 60 to 70 years.", re-awakened some other thoughts I have, but probably best saved for another 'string', and probably not in "our section" [:)], but the whole advancements in medicine topic is interesting to me. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, and I know that HUGE advances have been made in medical treatments..............but cures? I'm 'just sayin` (and it actually does bother me to), but if a cure for all cancers was 'discovered' tomorrow, can you imagine how that would affect our economy?

I know exactly where you're going Geezer, and I couldn't agree more.

Here's another one I've been wondering about. It's similar but different than yours. It's also why I don't take anything stronger than asprin.

Why in the world would anyone purchase any of the drugs they are advertising on TV after listening to the disclaimers where they tell you all the ways you could die from taking their product? I mean.... have you listened to those things?

Good topics.

Oh... and regarding your taking or not taking "the shot"... I wouldn't take it. Especially after listening to Fossil.

I agree with you completely about the drugs that are advertised on tv.

On a related note, I sometimes have to chuckle when I hear/read those ads by attorneys that are sometimes worded poorly and tempt you to call them and say "Hello, my name is XYZ, and I indeed died from taking the drug "****olio". [:-)]

Something else to ponder, Geezer...

This one is amazing, Geezer. Also kind of spooky given that you and I were discussing some of these things just last night.

This morning on one of the Cable News Stations they had one of their doctors on ( I think he's on every Sunday morning) and they were talking about the Flu (surprise, surprise) but what he said caught my attention. He said that elderly folks (that would be you and me and Fossil) are better prepared for this year's virus because .....wait for it.... wait for it ... here it comes...

"Because they have stronger immune systems" due to them fighting off various Flu's earlier in life" rather than getting vaccinated each year.

I have never had a Flu shot for that exact same reason. I like to give my immune system a workout, just to keep it on its toes, so to speak. There were no Flu Shots when we were growing up and I don't know about you, but I don't recall people dropping dead from the Flu all over our front lawns, back when we were growing up. Do you?

So what's the difference between now and then? Hmmm...could it be $$$?

A lot of people will tell you a lot of "differences" are to blame...........but, I'm sorry to say, that the one I believe most, is the one you mentioned!

On a lighter note, although I'm sure it's a 'legal thing', is it really necessary in a recent Nissan (I think) commercial I saw, to have across the screen "Do not attempt. Cars cannot jump onto trains." [:)s]

From the back of a AAA Batteries package:

" If swallowed, or lodged in ear or nose, promptly see a doctor. "

And the warning statement is there because someone did it and won the law suit.

Hey... Fossil's back.

How absurd is needing a 'warning' like that on a package of batteries? Amazing!

As another aside, thank heavens the Dunkin Donuts "Holiday Special" on pounds of coffee is over, and the coffee has returned to it's pre-special LESS expensive price. Amazing also.

LOL!! Now that was great Geezer. Thank God the Holiday Special is over!

Personally, I made it a mission of mine to never buy or support anything that is labeled of called a "happy holiday anything". I figure within a year or two, the store owners will be feeling the impact of my economic surge attack and they'll be begging me to stop.

I do things a little differently. I shop like crazy in October, November, and December, then I bring it all back on Christmas Eve. It's great fun.

Hmmmm...

Show up on Christmas Eve and say.... "Hi there, I'd like to return these."

That is pure Brilliance!

Maybe it only bothers me because it's my birth month, but people, it's FebRUary, not FebEWary! Even the newscasters pronounce it wrong!

Is your birthday on a Wensday this year?

It might be on a Sundee.

Pimp sues Nike for $100m because they didn't warn him about dangers of using Air Jordans to stomp on man's face.

Sirgiorgiro Clardy, 26, was convicted in 2013 for using his Air Jordans to stomp on a man's face after he refused to pay Clardy's prostitute. The victim required stitches and underwent plastic surgery.

That reminds me of a Jerky Boys phone call, where they called an attorney, and after the attorney told him that he could not sue for whatever ridiculous scenario he had come up with, he said "Well, then can I sue YOU?" [:))]

I was just re-configuring some junk in the cellar and I came upon a full book of S&H Green Stamps.

Anyone got a rewards catalog I can borrow?

Hmmmmmm, maybe, I'll have to look around. But that sure brings back memories!
As I recall however, one book was about enough to get you one of those "chinese finger traps"(?)that you used to 'win' at carnival games as consolation prizes.

I don't know why but it brought back memories of my Grand Mother making Soap out in her back yard. I think you had to make a lot of it all at once because I also remember her delivering the soap bars to her daughters (my Mom being one of them) so we would all be nice and spiffy after that Saturday evening bath.

I remember the soap well, but not anyone making it, so we must have been someone's deliveree!
It is fascinating how something like that works though, how a book of greenstamps triggers other memories.

I remember my mom smoking Bel Air cigarettes for the coupons. (she quit when I was 8 ) I never knew what she could get with those coupons!

I remember my Mom cutting small coupons from boxtops (Betty Crocker??) and having hundreds of them, but I can't recall that she EVER got anything for them.

Betty Crocker?

Wasn't Betty Crocker that the new fangled instant "cake in a box" throw it in a bowl thing the stores started selling after WWII? I don't think my mom was allowed to use that, at least not when Gram was around.

I meant to post this last night when I would have remembered the name of the drug/medication, but fell asleep before I did.
Anyway OG, I saw one of the commercials, like you mentioned earlier here, for a drug to help people with frequent migraines. That of course is fine, and I hope it can/does help people, but one of the potential side effects that they 'listed' was ........ headaches. Huh?

Headaches as a side effect for headache medicine.

Beautiful.

So, I guess you should take one pill for your original headache and one to take care of the headache you get from the first pill, but then the third pill might cause a headache so we would need...... wait a minute.... I'm not sure this is working.

"I need some pudding".

"If an erection persists for more than six hours, seek medical attention immediately."

Are you kidding me? Why?

LOL. Thanks Fossil

Now please pardon me while I go to the kitchen for a cloth to clean the beer spray off me computer screen.

I think they mean if it's more than 6 MINUTES, call someone to brag!

Breaking Breakfast News: Froot Loops Are All the Same Flavor
By Melissa Locker @woolyknickers

We hate to be the ones to tell you this, but: you’ve been eating a bowl of lies for breakfast … and you probably liked it.

Turns out that the delicious, multicolored O’s that make up Froot Loops don’t actually represent different fruit flavors. Reddit’s Today I Learned series recently unearthed a 1999 article from the Straight Dope, which confirms that “according to Kellogg’s, all of those delectable loops are flavored the same.”

Is nothing Sacred?

That's a disgrace!!
And reminds me of the "Grape Nuts" thing!

LMAO Fossil! After six hours someone is gonna get hurt! That reminds me of the time many moons ago that I and my honey pie at the time wanted to make Nachos with fresh jalapenos. All went well until we decided to take a break from cooking for a bit. Ruined the night! We almost went to the hospital! Sorry….I digress…..

I just got my first tooth pulled and cried like a baby! (that was in the office before they even pulled the tooth!) Cracked that sucker but good (so Dr Solomon tells me and yes I got to look at it!) Such an over achiever I am!
Pain meds seem to have the opposite effect on me. They keep me awake. I wish I had some lucky charms or apple jacks or captain crunch to soak in some milk to eat. Then again…..I need to lose weight anyway!

about the fruit loops

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! ........ What "Grape Nuts" thing?

The Seinfeld line "What's the deal with Grape Nuts? You open them up, no grapes, no nuts!"

Melrose Patch
Seventeen Melrose residents filed million-dollar tax returns in 2011, an increase of six percent over the previous year. That means that one out of every 1,613 Melrose residents filed a million-dollar return.

Dam, they tracked me down again!

I always suspected that to be the case OG, and that it's your OVERLY generous philanthropic work that makes it 'appear' that you're still middle class!

patricia wright
I wish I had some lucky charms or apple jacks or captain crunch to soak in some milk to eat. Then again…..I need to lose weight anyway!

Psst.... Geezer, Fossil

We'll have to try to be sensitive to Patty's ongoing battle with her weight gain. So let's try to avoid any accidental slip ups that might draw attention to her condition. I'm sure you know how easily the wrong words can slip into a conversation and it's the small stuff that often creates a 'bulky' misunderstanding.

Fat chance there will ever be a slip up from me!

Interesting, I just saw an article on Yahoo listing the top 10 states with the highest property taxes in the US.
MA is #8, topped only by 4 of the other 5 New England states (not Maine) and NJ, NY, and Il. (NH is #2)

1 2