Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dunkin' Donuts

So I walk into Dunks on LynnFells Pkwy the other morning and step up to the counter to order my coffee and there is a server training a new server. She states to the effect that they do not give Seniors a discount on products unless they ask for it. WHAT? There is also a sign on the backroom door facing the counter area stating to the effect that Giving away or Discounting a product is like theft and an employee can be terminated for such an offense. I checked the Dunkin' Donuts website for the official policy and there it states that if a Senior buys a large coffee then they can be given a free donut.
I don't want a Large coffee. A medium size is plenty enough for me.I may or may not want a donut. To tell the truth, I'd rather pay for it after hearing the verbal instruction to the new employee. In fact I'd rather keep the Tip I was going to leave for the server. If the server wants it then it can be asked for, like the discount. That's MY policy.

The Main Street store is under different management and is more modern in personnel and policy. At least they act human and as part of the community.

Conversely, if you go to Honey Dew the servers there frequently give a 15% discount to Seniors; except for the penny-pinching owner. If she waits on you you are going to play full price for anything and everything, except after 2:00PM then I think it's half price. Back in the good old days, day-old donuts were half-price. Nowadays everything is full price.

Re: Dunkin' Donuts

Coffe drinkin' man
So I walk into Dunks on LynnFells Pkwy the other morning and step up to the counter to order my coffee and there is a server training a new server. She states to the effect that they do not give Seniors a discount on products unless they ask for it. WHAT? There is also a sign on the backroom door facing the counter area stating to the effect that Giving away or Discounting a product is like theft and an employee can be terminated for such an offense. I checked the Dunkin' Donuts website for the official policy and there it states that if a Senior buys a large coffee then they can be given a free donut.
I don't want a Large coffee. A medium size is plenty enough for me.I may or may not want a donut. To tell the truth, I'd rather pay for it after hearing the verbal instruction to the new employee. In fact I'd rather keep the Tip I was going to leave for the server. If the server wants it then it can be asked for, like the discount. That's MY policy.

The Main Street store is under different management and is more modern in personnel and policy. At least they act human and as part of the community.

Conversely, if you go to Honey Dew the servers there frequently give a 15% discount to Seniors; except for the penny-pinching owner. If she waits on you you are going to play full price for anything and everything, except after 2:00PM then I think it's half price. Back in the good old days, day-old donuts were half-price. Nowadays everything is full price.

I always go to Honey Dew Donuts because of the friendly and welcoming attitude of their help! And they ALWAYS give me the senior discount without asking. Concerning the owner, Lisa Kennedy - she is always gracious and supports so many organizations in the city with free donuts - including the one I belong to. Lisa and her other stores in Wakefield are community-oriented and many of us are happy she is in our neighborhood!

Just returning from down South and reading this. I remember quite a few years back this DD store had posted a sign that they had increased the employees pay and that the employees were to refuse tips. The sign refusing tipping was right on the front counter. I followed their policy then but I will not follow the policy that I have to ask them for a discount. I believe that I will follow the original poster's posting that I will not ask for a discount and I am sure that they will not ask for a tip. Even Steven.

Senior Dewer not a Dunker
Just returning from down South and reading this. I remember quite a few years back this DD store had posted a sign that they had increased the employees pay and that the employees were to refuse tips. The sign refusing tipping was right on the front counter. I followed their policy then but I will not follow the policy that I have to ask them for a discount. I believe that I will follow the original poster's posting that I will not ask for a discount and I am sure that they will not ask for a tip. Even Steven.

Are you an idiot? Why would any senior not want to get a senior discount to reduce costs? Grow up and act your age - unless senility has set in.

I guess the problem as stated is that a Senior has to ASK for the discount. I go there at least once a day during the week. They know I am a Senior because I once asked for the discount. I'm not going to ask for it each and every time I make a purchase there. They even put out their hand to take your money before they even make out your order! As if you're going to bankrupt them by running out the front door without paying for that cup of coffee or whatever else you bought. And how about giving you a clean cup without the coffee spillover? I have to ask for that too? I too prefer to pay the full price and then keep the tip for myself. A selfie discount of sorts. And as far as cleaning off the side of the cup of the spillover, I can do it myself and then just leave the wet napkin on a table for one of them to clean.[Razz]

This policy seems pretty reasonable. It takes out the age guess work and doesn't leave employees at risk of losing their jobs over improper discounts. Bottom line is seniors still get a discount.