Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ‘set obia’ or ‘obeahed : should slave ancestral folks distance or be dismissive of obeah p

Invoking the powers of ancestral/celestial spirits and formulating then to maintain one’s cultural belief was invariable the predominant practice that had set the stage for the dominance of one culture over another (Christianity versus Paganism, if you will) which subsequently led to the establishment of religious dogma and its treachery leading to conformity. It is precisely here at this cross-road where our Forefathers found themselves, subjugated to a Western belief that had no tolerance for their practice of Obeah and where we too had evolved under the umbrella of varied religious denomination.

And without the benefit of choice, WE! the arriving Africans had to assimilate to a new belief and practice of our “Masters” in a manner as dictated by our new life of Western Slavery and in that life, even our references to a higher power had to be different also. In reality though, one can argue that there was no differentiating characteristics between the African practice of Obeah and the beliefs of Western religion, other than the latter was more brutal in its implementation, the likes of which would make the current barbaric practices of ISIS pale in comparison.

About a week ago, this reality of History was recognized by President Obama where he referenced the Crusaders, particularly those of the Spanish Inquisition much to the behest of his detractors who did not wish to be reminded of this salient truth.
But more to the practice of Obeah, during my youth growing up in Gouyave, it was not uncommon to learn of the Obeah practitioners of Grenville/Labey, Soubise (sp), Carriacou and Petit Martinique and the number of believers who would seek-out their services. The colloquial word phrases “dux”, (an etymology from Latin) known to be a vengeful witchcraft practice and “See” ( etymology from old English) for seeing all present and future impositions on an individual were conjured up within our French Patois dialect as being the operative words associated with the practice of Obeah. It was also believed to be the invocation of some unknown spiritual counteracting forces that allowed one to take pre-emptive measures of protection against another, or so they believed.

It was not uncommon to hear tales that someone had "dux another" hence the result of whatever ailments one may have had or ascribed to in the future. But I had often wondered if our ancestral belief in Obeah was as true-to-form as we thought, why was it not used on our slave masters to advance our Forefathers emancipation? Even today, as the practice is so widely accepted in Haiti by our Brothers and Sisters there, why have they continued to remain in such state of poverty when they are reported as being blessed with the ability to harness the powers from beyond?

As it was with Sorcerers/Witchcraft/Obeah, they all gained their relevance through chartered tails and documentaries in order to instill fear thus relegating the feared to suppression. In the case of our African Forefathers, our practice of Obeah had to conform to the standards of a "better, more refined Western culture" where Sorcerers, Witchcraft Doctors and Obeahmen/women were replaced by the more distinct hierarchical orthodoxy of Priests, Bishops, Cardinals and Popes. The practice however, has not changed; in fact, even within this newly cultivated religious order, the practice of exorcism is still recognized in their regimen of power with the safely guarded secrets of the nomenclature associated with it.

Latin may have replaced the African tribal language but the appeal to a higher power remained the same, regardless of the practitioners.

VJL

Re: ‘set obia’ or ‘obeahed : should slave ancestral folks distance or be dismissive of obeah p

>>Invoking the powers of ancestral/celestial spirits and formulating then to maintain one’s cultural belief was invariable the predominant practice that had set the stage for the dominance of one culture over another (Christianity versus Paganism, if you will) which subsequently led to the establishment of religious dogma and its treachery leading to conformity. It is precisely here at this cross-road where our Forefathers found themselves, subjugated to a Western belief that had no tolerance for their practice of Obeah and where we too had evolved under the umbrella of varied religious denomination.<<

Verne, if you take your above statement to its logical conclusion, we are left with no choice but to question whether Christianity should and continue to be the religion of former African slaves and their descendants. Is it good for us? Can we truly appreciate and realize our self worth as a people who continue to accept the religion of their masters as a basis for understanding their world and their place in it? It's a tough question, but one that must be faced and asked.

I often wonder if the children of Israel could/would ever have mustered up the courage and determination to flee Egypt if they had blindly accepted and internalized their Egyptian masters' religion. If it meant inventing a religion that would fortify their desire to flee Egypt, the Jews would have done so. It was absolutely necessary for them to seek, find, believe and internalize the justification they needed for their decision to defy Pharaoh. Judaism provided it!

Man, I hold to the belief that religion is nothing more than a spiritual justification for the practices and life styles of a people. The Jews would forever believe they have a right to claim Palestine as theirs, the Promised Land, because their religion tells them so. Westerners freely used the Bible to justify their introduction and propagation of African slavery. And they had to make sure too, that the slaves believed in that doctrine in order for them to be the good obedient slaves, willing to serve the masters that they believed they were born to serve. White people needed us to provide the free labor that was necessary to build the society they envisioned. To make sure that we stayed and accept their dominance they fed us with all the Christianity food they could provide. Isn't it time that we ask ourselves why are we continuing to eat that food?
In effect we were like animals, particularly elephants. Once you brainwash an elephant into continuing to think that it is still tethered to a chain, that elephant would rarely try to escape or try to kill you even when there is no longer that chain around its feet. It has accepted your mastery and dominance, and now it is little more than a mere puppet.

Of course people are free to believe and practice whatever religion that satisfies them. That's their God-given right. But just as the Jews needed their Judaism for their freedom, so too I believe that we Black people need a religion of our very own to fortify our people-building, self determination and giving definition to ourselves. Whether it is our ancient religion of Obeah or some new religious form of expression, so be it. That would be for wiser people to work out.

So hats off to you, Verne, and Lady G who surprised the heck out of me based on her previous Christian posts. I was flabbergasted when she wrote:

>>So, should some folks be dismissive or give me a quizzical look if I try to conjure up a conversation based on obeah, the obeahman or obeahwoman. More than likely I may be reprimanded or hushed on religious grounds – but should I be hushed or even ostracised about a willingness to discuss obeah practices.<<

Yes, it's about time that we start tackling thought-provoking subjects like this. Verne, perhaps it might bring us right back to the time when the Talkshop was the talk of the town and a vibrant site for learning and discussing.

More power to both of you.

T,

As we have now matured beyond the realm of adopting what was once a level of comfortable beliefs in order that we may walk safely along our paths with invisible footprints, we cannot continue to accommodate any scintilla of ignorance as a means of explaining-away what was surely an exercise in tomfoolery over our Forefathers by the purveyors of Christianity. To do so would be to ignore all the evidence of History that points to the systematic annihilation of our people and culture; the trade-off being in the interest of "civility and assimilation with shackles and all to bout ". This came with the implication of an adopted reality that points to our African culture as inferior hence had to be abolished as we became westernized.

In simpler terms, we seem to have assimilated ourselves away from our own History (the oxymoron here is intended) just to become a footnote to our Masters own and with anecdotal reference to our own existence and purpose. There are some of us who prefer to remain proud of that "accomplishment" and would develop a sense of resistance to any change for fear of opening up yet another ubiquitous "can of worms".

Again, I must make reference to that POTUS speech of a fortnight ago, showing once again that he is one of the few that is "blessed with the biological attributes of the Bull that differentiate it from the Heifer".

So when you infer that we may have >>>>>>....no choice but to question whether Christianity should and continue to be the religion of former African slaves and their descendants. <<<<< I would agree but I believe we have long passed the stage of introspection, as Christianity had allowed us to walk the path of least resistance in order to ensure our existence in this new hostile world. However, we can begin to salvage whatever is left of ourselves by educating the younger ones to re-create their own identity, through the pathways of education and challenge the status quo, while always being cognoscente of the resistance that awaits them.

The result is ever-present as the young have already abandoned all the major religious institutions in droves when they become aware of the unscrupulous and hypocritical ways in which they had acquired their hegemonic authority, all in the name of the Lord.

There goes my plan to spend as little time as possible in Purgatory for my venial sins.

You also questioned whether >>>> is it good for us? .....<<<<< I can certainly say, that what seems to be a rhetorical question, (given the history that we both are aware of) does not beg for an answer this time because in no uncertain terms I would emphatically reply...NO! My reason being that it is time that WE descendants from African Slaves get grounded in a new reality that encompasses the understanding of our roots, inclusive of the mores of our culture. But we cannot truly appreciate and realize our self-worth as a people if we continue to accept the edicts and standards of religiosity. They were complicit in the crimes of our Masters hence cannot form the basis for determining and understanding our place in this world?

VJL

(THERE goes my plan to spend as little time as possible in Purgatory for my Venial sins) (What are your Venial sins Vernon ?)LOL (OBEAH is just MYTH in some people MINDS and it will catch U A-SS if u believe in it(simple)LOL,

Mello,

Unless you were Father Bernard or Blanco, there is not a chance in hell you would know what my Venial Sins were. I used the past tense because I had already done the pennance for them. However, they had tagged me with a sin for making acquaintance with the Mango Julie in the Anglican Prespretry yard but since I was Catholic, (Roman Catholic, to be precise)I was able to negotiate a deferment.....LOL

Now, how can you say Obeah is a hoax?

I am sure you remembered the fella who used to crow like a fowl in broad day light in Gouyave, ask Sister Merle if you think ah lie....Lol

Did they not go to Grenville to fix him? or was it to Dux him ...lol

(U ask how can u say obeah is are hoax?)only if u believe in it and am sure miss vitalis (RIP)would are give u d broom stick if u had ever mention that word near to her LOL,yes I c rumpell trying to act like a **** one "(29th june by d bay there was a tent there and we was playing marbles under d tent and suddenly rumpell started to act like are **** and pretended to start crowing,boy fellas take off LOL, MERLE sure knows that she will surely laugh out at that now,(THATS because rumpell gran was are obeah woman and what they say home if u try and work obeah on somebody who don't believe in it,the curse will fall back on one of your family,so perharps that's what was happening to rumpell LOL, (OK ONE of your verial sins was stoning d mango Julie in d pasture,and I hope when you did go to Father Bernard to confession on Saturdays afternoon,i trust u use to spill out that sin for stoning d mango Julie, LOL, (HEY Vernon please pass on my regards to your Uncle LESLIE (FALSE name RAGS whom I havnt seen since I left GOUYAVE he use to call me BENJIE not sure if u are in contact or sees him,LATA,

MELO
(U ask how can u say obeah is are hoax?)only if u believe in it and am sure miss vitalis (RIP)would are give u d broom stick if u had ever mention that word near to her LOL,yes I c rumpell trying to act like a foul one "(29th june by d bay there was a tent there and we was playing marbles under d tent and suddenly rumpell started to act like are foul and pretended to start crowing,boy fellas take off LOL, MERLE sure knows that she will surely laugh out at that now,(THATS because rumpell gran was are obeah woman and what they say home if u try and work obeah on somebody who don't believe in it,the curse will fall back on one of your family,so perharps that's what was happening to rumpell LOL, (OK ONE of your verial sins was stoning d mango Julie in d pasture,and I hope when you did go to Father Bernard to confession on Saturdays afternoon,i trust u use to spill out that sin for stoning d mango Julie, LOL, (HEY Vernon please pass on my regards to your Uncle LESLIE (FALSE name RAGS whom I havnt seen since I left GOUYAVE he use to call me BENJIE not sure if u are in contact or sees him,LATA,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZnAgVkDlY

Mello, et al,

Copy this link to your browser and turn up the volume.
A most fitting pikong for the subject matter.

Enjoy

Will see that Rags gets your greetings

Have we really lost touch with our ancestral beliefs or religion? Has Christianity or the religion of the Motherland or Masters really replaced that core belief system? I am very skeptical about that because I have observed time and time again where the most vocal or staunch Christians fail the most basic test of Faith resorting to their old beliefs at the first sign of difficulties. During the times of harvest I hear retorts that G-d is good, and G-d great, and there is a plethora of strong pronouncements of all the wonderful attributes of G-d yet when there is a misfortune of ill health or bad luck the modern day Christian seem to, without hesitation, abandon the faith and seek the help of the local Obeah man or witch-doctor, who I might add might be doubling as a Pastor. Why is that, and shouldn’t one honker down on the Faith so that G-d will lift the problem? Why run to something that is despised and firmly preached against in the Christian religion when the Faith is tested? Now it is not just the Obeah man that refuge is sought through in tough times but also other magical disciplines like Astrology and Palmistry etc. Why? Is there merit to any of these practices? I believe that that there is merit as history shows that Kings, Presidents and all forms of rulers in modern times all the way back to the Egyptian civilizations and from time immemorial have consulted with those disciplines to make critical decisions, like travel or when to hold major appearances etc., throughout their rule. Yes, even the so-called civilized nations of this world all the way back before Christ, Astrology have been practiced. Lets remember the Magi, the soothsayer and Julius Caesar and the tragic end when Caesar failed to heed the warning of impending doom from that Soothsayer. So why shouldn’t the common man utilize the power and benefits of something that is intrinsic to them is my question.

The slaves, our ancestors, who were caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, mentally and physically superimposed the god figures of their religion over the figures of the religions that was now being imposed on them by their slave masters and the so called motherland. They masqueraded under the guise of Christianity to hide their ongoing practice of their true belief. It is my contention that this is still a practice today as many practitioners of the Obeah, voodoo or even Santeria visit the Churches to accomplish their goal using the Holy Ground of the Church.
I would suggest at this point that we would always fall back on what is most comfortable to us, what is in our spirit or DNA even. So is the practice of this Religion with its sacrifices and ritualistic blood letting, which existed even before Christianity, wrong? Well, here I would suggest a reading of the Book of Exodus
Ch. 29 as an example to compare with what is actually practiced in a “Salaca” or ritual of appeasement to the spirits with what the Hebrew were told to do in order to free themselves from their captors. I personally have experienced many of those practices albeit in a more innocent time but the ritual is still vivid in my mind. Am I to believe that what worked then no longer works in these modern times?

This religious belief system of our ancestors has kept them from annihilation and was core to the abolition of slavery and we should not let it die and disappear into the annals of history. We should seek a deeper understanding of the ancestral heritage and maybe gain a better understanding of whom we really are and our place in this world.