Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oh what a night

Word is that the Mighty Sparrow has put on hold all possible performances for this upcoming summer. That's because the Birdie is expecting an invitation from Buckingham Palace to perform for the queen, so he wants his calendar to be clear should the invitation materialize. True, or not that's the rumor that's been circulating.

Hey y'all, can you imagine Sparrow actually serenading her majesty at Buckingham? Last year at a Brooklyn College performance, Sparrow calmly accepted the fact that he knows his last days are numbered. Wouldn't that be something if he decides to go out with a bang at Buckingham?
If I had a say in his selection of songs, here are some that would be bound to cause that bang.

1. SLAVE.
Wouldn't that be something if the first lines Mother hears are: "I'm a slave from a land so far. I was caught and I was brought here from Africa. ..................
Yes, they make me work, so hard each day ..... And ah toil, and ah toil., and ah toil, Good Lord no pay.
I'm dying."

2. PRINCESS AND THE CAMERA MAN.
Even though Mother's only sibling, Princess Margaret, has long since passed, she would still remember all those "old buried" memories. When the Church of England refused to accept the twice-divorced Captain Peter Townsend as an acceptable suitor/husband for the young Princess Margaret, Sparrow expressed his dismay over her next choice:

"Tired being single, she decide to try a next angle.
So she prayed to the Lord, and the Lord God above send she a man to love."

"If I wasn't there in England and see wid me eyes. And one of me friends de tell me, Ah woulda say dey lie.
Although ah was there and see, Ah still tink she fooling me.
Ah can understand how ah princess could love a camera man." (Anthony Armstrong Jones who became the Earl of Snowden).

Mother would squirm even more as Sparrow ends the song with that most uncomfortable line:
"The luckiest man ah've ever seen. Little bit again, he gone wid the queen."

3. PHILLIP MY DEAR.
If that doesn't cause a riot in Buckingham, nothing else will:
"Phillip, my dear, last night ah thought was you in here.
Where did you go? ....................
There was a man in me bedroom ......
Sorry dear I misconstrue, and ah thought it was you."

He big just like you, but younger
He lengay like you but harder
He lay-lay like you, but badder ........
Ah man in me bedroom
Your input was overdue so ah took him for you."

Sparrow would do well to explain to her majesty that his reason for his song selections is because he thought nowadays anything goes in England since;

4. LONDON BRIDGE IS FALLING DOWN.

Finally I would have the Birdie close the show with a special line especially for Prince Phillip to ponder:

"If you were the king of the beast, you'd be toting dis."

Re: Oh what a night

T,

Maybe at the ripe old age of 88, when all the ailments have surely set in, "Mother" too needs to go out with a "bang"; a rush of adrenalin to stimulate the blood that surely may have remained coagulated all her life with no help from Phillip.

That Mother of ours would be tempting faith with Slinger if that invitation had gone out even twenty years earlier because "The Birdy" would have surely ruptured one of her blood vessels with one of his vicious gyrations with a Mat-tey (similar to that of our Convent girl) and cause an international incident.

But who knows, as the inner workings of Mother Nature continue to baffle us, Mother could well be sending a signal to all saying that "despite being 88, stimulation does not have to take refuge in the mind, causing the hypothalamus to remain in a constant state of dormancy " (you know how dem so does speak pretty?)...Lol

Sparrow's invitation for a session at the palace could indeed be her Marquis de Sade moment, one which Mother is entitled to, given her age.

Your careful selection of this genre of calypso seems most fitting for Mother and I am sure Sparrow would be kind.