Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Monkey or Sea urchin takeaway? : STOP killing Monkeys NOW! LEAVE sea urchins on the sea bed NOW!

STOP killing forest monkeys NOW! Stop Eating forest Monkeys NOW! SAVE Caribbean Monkey species NOW!

Writing this post from an interspersed angle, the eating habits of a significant number of global folks have changed for what has been described as new meats. I have seen some folks gone from home cooked chicken once a week to outside prepared boxed chicken every day, from fresh fish everyday to no fish, from beef to crocodile! So, as part of this global change, will I soon be hearing about some new culinary delights, such as monkey or manicou or sea urchin burgers? This selective change to diet is folks own business, but should it be? Culinary dietary change, sometimes is not for the better or wellbeing of some folks. I have been informed of what may be a new craze or trend, basically the new ‘carnivorous’ eating habits of some Caribbean islanders, be they native or non-natives. The meat in question is sometimes described in some cultures as ‘bushmeat’ is ‘monkey meat’, basically monkeys being hunted and killed to satisfy culinary appetites. As a child I recall hearing about men going to the mountains to hunt for manicou, and there was always a craze about this manicou meat which I have never tasted.

LEAVE THE MANICOU Alone NOW! STOP eating Manicou NOW!

Also, some island folks, are diving and removing ‘sea urchins’ from the seabed, for eating or culinary purposes, a colleague informed me that she saw a man on the beach, after a personal diving session, with about 20 sea urchins, when she enquired about the identity of the creatures he was examining on the beach, he told her they were very tasty and offered her two urchins! I ask the question, does he dive every day to remove sea urchins, should this be permissible? What will happen in terms of conservation sea-bed ecology issues? Are beach signs needed to stop or deter this 'free for all diving eating' galore?

The destruction of monkeys and sea urchins for eating purposes will significantly affect the food chain. And is it healthy to eat monkey meat and sea urchins on a regular basis? Is the forest or ocean ‘a free takeaway’, with no control? Should folks be able to do what they like - dive or enter a forest and kill and destroy animal life?

So for some ‘obsessive’ folks on some Caribbean islands who cannot do without their monkey body parts for their pots and pans, their monkey stew, or monkey barbequed burger, or sea urchins salad, stew or burger, or barbequed with chilli sauce….. STOP removing sea urchins from the sea bed NOW! STOP IT NOW!

LEAVE THE MONKEYS ALONE, STOP EATING THEM! STOP KILLING THEM! LEAVE THE SEA URCHINS on the sea bed! STOP EATING THEM NOW! Save the Caribbean urchins NOW!