Return to Website

Welcome to Chow Ka Fat's Forum

You are welcome to post messages in this forum. But please observe the rules of this forum. Any messages violating the rules will be deleted and the person posting such messages may be forbidden to post messages.
歡迎在本板留言,但請遵守本板規則。任何違規留言將被刪去,違規者亦可能被禁止發言。

Welcome to Chow Ka Fat's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Division algorithm

Recently, I started to study some division algorithms, and I found your homepage about 珠算 very informative and help me understand it a bit. and that was the first time I started to understand 珠算. At the same time, I found on the internet a document "Review of Basic Classes of Dividers Based on Division Algorithm" by PATANKAR and KOEL. In that review article, there is a FIGURE 4. The distribution of different division algorithms.

Understandably, 珠算 is considered un-important in this modern computer era by most people and it is sad that Figure 4 does not include 單歸法, 歸除法 ... etc. There was a flash in my mind that I would put together these Chinese 珠算 division algorithms into a big picture. However, I am not going to spend the time understand all these 珠算 division algorithms to put them in proper order into the figure and even if I do, I will certainly mis-understand all these different Chinese division algorithm. I would like to ask for your apologize to persuade you to do the same, and put into the your homepage. If I really need that, I will surely quote your webpage.

By the way, I am doing some private research on division algorithms and your homepage on 珠算 is one of bibliography of my on-going work.

As a Chinese living in Hong Kong, I think we have the obligation to let the world know that in fact all these 歸除法 are actually very similar (if not precusor) to those long-division, (non)-restoring, SRT algorithms and others. And I am sure these 歸除法 are not dead.

I will keep you informed of my study and seek your advice if you are willing to help.

By the way, I am retired after being an engineer for more than 30 years.

\begin{thebibliography}{}

\bibitem{1}{Donald E. Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume 2 / Seminumerical Algorithms, Addision-Wesley Publishing Company, 1981.}
\bibitem{2}{Udayan S. Patankar , Ants Koel,"Review of Basic Classes of Dividers Based on Division Algorithm", IEEE Access, Volume 9, 2021}
\bibitem{3}{Behrooz Parhami, "Computer Arithmetic, Algorithms and Hardware Designs", Oxford University Press, 2010}
\bibitem{4}{周家發個人網頁,"珠算解難:歸除法",https://chowkafat.net/Abacus3.html}
\bibitem{5}{刘华平,胡伟武, "一种定点除法部件中提前终止循环计算的方法",Patent No. CN 1485725A, 31 March, 2004.}
\bibitem{6}{David M. Russinoff, "A Mechanically Verified Commercial SRT Divider" of "Design and Verification of Microprocessor Systems for High-Assurance Applications",Editors: David S. Hardin, ISBN 978-1-4419-1538-2 e-ISBN 978-1-4419-1539-9, 2020}
\end{thebibliography}{}

In fact, as you can see from the Pentium flaw, the present division algorithm is overly-complicated and I strongly think a NEW division algorithm is urgently needed.

Best Regards,
Ko